Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th January 2021, 19:53   #6031

Re: The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvadg View Post
McAfee can be quite persistent and difficult to uninstall, use their tool (MCPR - McAfee consumer products remover tool). Download it from their site:
http://download.mcafee.com/products/...tches/MCPR.exe
I will uninstall the McAfee Antivirus and will see if there is any improvement. Thanks mvadg.
Old 7th January 2021, 12:02   #6032
BHPian

Need an adapter for these two old internal HDD that I have. Do I need to buy two separate ones? Or will something like this work? https://www.amazon.in/External-Porta...dp/B01N07NBLA/

Sharing the pic of these two HDDs. One from macbook (500gb) is slimmer than one from the netbook (160gb)
Attached Thumbnails
The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions-images-21.jpeg  

The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions-images-20.jpeg  

The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions-img_20210107_115612.jpg  

creative420 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2021, 12:46   #6033
AZT
BHPian

I am getting some furniture work done at home and one of the workers asked me how much would a laptop cost, he wants to buy one for his son for studies. He saw me working on the work laptop so wanted to know.

Can anyone suggest a good budget laptop (ideally with Office and Windows). I've told him 30 k would be the cost for a basic one and used laptops would be cheaper but I don't know if that's a good option. I'm guessing an older gen i5 would be better than a current gen i3.
Old 7th January 2021, 14:20   #6034
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZT View Post

Can anyone suggest a good budget laptop (ideally with Office and Windows). I've told him 30 k would be the cost for a basic one and used laptops would be cheaper but I don't know if that's a good option. I'm guessing an older gen i5 would be better than a current gen i3.
Windows/office will drive up the cost. Either grab a cheap OEM key or use a Linux distro. Look at Ryzen 3500 based options, they are about equal to 8-10th gen. i5s but much cheaper.

This HP 245 G7 should be an ideal fit. Sort him/his son out with the OS/programs and maybe an SSD.
Old 7th January 2021, 15:04   #6035
AZT
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amien View Post
Either grab a cheap OEM key or use a Linux distro.
Thanks for the recommendation. Can you tell me about the cheap OEM code. Office is mandatory for any student so need to find a way to either buy that or get it as pre installed.

Edit:Is this a decent option - Lenovo Ideapad i3 10th gen with Windows and Office

Last edited by AZT : 7th January 2021 at 15:18.
Old 7th January 2021, 15:32   #6036
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative420 View Post
Need an adapter for these two old internal HDD that I have. Do I need to buy two separate ones? Or will something like this work? https://www.amazon.in/External-Porta...dp/B01N07NBLA/

Sharing the pic of these two HDDs. One from macbook (500gb) is slimmer than one from the netbook (160gb)
Yes. The one shared by you works. However personally i will go for something like this instead of a transparent one. Also incase you plan to use multiple HDDs with single interface then I would also explore this comes at 600 bucks after discount.
Old 7th January 2021, 17:32   #6037
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZT View Post
Is this a decent option
It is. A quad core would offer more longevity but this is enough for student use.
Old 7th January 2021, 18:53   #6038
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roamer012 View Post
Yes. The one shared by you works.
Thanks man. Have ordered the second one you recommended.
Old 26th January 2021, 11:47   #6039
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ani0404 View Post
Hello Experts,

I am looking to replace my 8 year old Samsung i3 laptop with a new one. Usage would be MS office, Browsing, Photoshop, Video editing at times, Games.

Requirements :

i7
16GB ram
Standalone graphics (4GB NVidia or likes)
512 GB SSD
Good display.

Budget : 75-80k.

Thank you.

Ani
UPDATE : -

Picked up a Dell G3 i7 10th Gen, upgraded to 16gb Ram, 512 GB SSD. costed me 88k with MS Office and Windows 10. They gave me a complimentary laptop Bag.

Thank you all for the suggestions.

Cheers.

Ani
Old 26th January 2021, 12:22   #6040
BHPian

Hi fellow members,

How much does Extended Warranty for laptops usually cost?

I have a Lenovo Flex 5. The 1 year warranty will expire by August. I'd like to extend it for the next 2 years (by buying the confusingly named 3 year extended warranty which basically extends it for 2 more years on top of the original 1 year warranty)

The issue is it costs almost Rs10,000 for the Premium Onsite Support package. Also, I'm not able to select the lower tier "Non-premium" Onsite support option. At this price, is the service offered by Lenovo worth it? Do they cover everything under this extended warranty.? What has been other members' experience with Lenovo (extended)warranty claims?

Since may laptop is a 2in1 with a 360 degree hinge as well as a touch screen, I think its a no brainer to have the extended warranty.

What's the case for other Windows Laptops? Is it usually this expensive?

Last edited by ZenMaster : 26th January 2021 at 12:23. Reason: Typo
Old 26th January 2021, 12:43   #6041
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenMaster View Post
I paid around 4500 to extend my 50,000 Rs Dell laptop's 1 yr warranty by 2 more years. This is for at-home service of all issues.
carboy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2021, 13:03   #6042
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
I paid around 4500 to extend my 50,000 Rs Dell laptop's 1 yr warranty by 2 more years. This is for at-home service of all issues.
That's manageable. The Lenovo pricing for +2 years is Rs.9,107 and Rs.4,554 for +1year .

I'm also not able to select or even see the pricing of the other 2 packages on the left. I'm okay with the normal On-site option as I know my way around computers quite well and don't think I need their software support.

The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions-20210126_1248312.jpg
Old 26th January 2021, 21:21   #6043
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenMaster View Post

If extended warranties are important to you, it is normall best to buy them at the time or immediately after purchase as that's when they're most cost-effective. There are also offers and promotions that apply between 7-30 days of your purchase so its worth looking into those right way.

A 1st party warranty is worth a lot more than 3rd party ones since you don't know if the provider will even be around by the time you need it.

Some popular lines have readily available warranty packs that you can purchase and apply yourself, provided its in the stipulated timeframe. This Lenovo E Series/Thinkbook extension pack is an example. 5-7k/10% of the laptop's cost is reasonable.

Last edited by Amien : 26th January 2021 at 21:28.
Old 26th January 2021, 21:39   #6044
BHPian

Hi members. I currently have a Dell XPS (L 502x) which i had bought a decade back. It was among the first laptops to feature JBL speakers with a subwoofer underneath!

While the specs are impressive on paper, it has started to crash frequently and even restarts when am playing games as simple as project IGI!

Now I'm in the market looking for a good replacement where my usage would be for casual gaming and occasionally watching movies, nothing much. Budget - 75k and not a rupee more!

I have lost touch with the market and it's pretty nice to see SSDs available in cheaper laptops as well. It would help if some suggestions could be made as to which laptops are worthy of consideration, especially on the service and support front. Here's what i have shortlisted:

1. Acer predator i5
2. Acer nitro 5
3. Dell G3 3500

As you can see it's a very limited list as i got lost in all the options available. It doesn't necessarily have to be a core gaming laptop but performance has to be enough to handle occasional gaming (am not even sure what kind of games i would be playing but i would most certainly begin to with this new one!) Would appreciate all your inputs.

Ps: Are there any advantages of a Ryzen processor over Intel and a performance laptop with i5 over a normal one with i7 and would they matter given my use case?

Last edited by abhi7013 : 26th January 2021 at 21:42.
Old 26th January 2021, 21:47   #6045
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amien View Post
If extended warranties are important to you, it is normall best to buy them at the time or immediately after purchase as that's when they're most cost-effective. There are also offers and promotions that apply between 7-30 days of your purchase so its worth looking into those right way.

A 1st party warranty is worth a lot more than 3rd party ones since you don't know if the provider will even be around by the time you need it.

Some popular lines have readily available warranty packs that you can purchase and apply yourself, provided its in the stipulated timeframe. This Lenovo E Series/Thinkbook extension pack is an example. 5-7k/10% of the laptop's cost is reasonable.

I had looked for the same during the first week itself, in the manufacturer website. But the price was exactly the same as in the image I uploaded.

Also similar extended warranty packs on amazon for Flex series laptopes had mediocre reviews with a lot of people saying they lost their money and the ext. warranty never got activated. That was why I hesitated and "waited" to see if some sort of "offers" or coupons to come up in the lenovo website.

If there's no other way, I might go for the +1year at Rs.4,554 and see how the laptop fares. Laptops usually have a tendency to act up right after factory warranty periods are over. Especially hinges and displays.

Last edited by ZenMaster : 26th January 2021 at 21:48. Reason: Addding sentence

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks