Search this Thread
Old 10th July 2019, 12:13   #5281
BHPian

Re: The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohit_Quad View Post

A bit more than 60K, but should go down during the Prime Day Sale
https://www.amazon.in/HP-Pavilion-15...RC68GR6TZMMFHQ

There's a new model of this with the 9th generation Intel.

https://www.amazon.in/HP-Pavilion-15...R6TZMMFHQ&th=1

It doesn't have the SSD though. How far are we from an SSD + 9th generation combination?
Old 10th July 2019, 14:30   #5282
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by $tar_boy View Post
Please give me your suggestions. Also if you could give me links of sites/ tutorials to learn these softwares would be highly appreciated.
A laptop on that budget will not be the best in terms of raw power. You should instead look at using a desktop at home + an iPad / netbook for the presentations / mobile work.

I used a 2011 21-inch iMac + Wifi only iPad mini combo for a good part of 3 years (2012-2015). I just had to enable remote access to the desktop, some sort of internet (I used my phone hotspot) and dongles to connect to projectors. Very rarely did I actually need to work on softwares in college, most of it was only presentations + mails + assignments for which an iPad was fantastic.

Anyways, the work you are going to do, wont need a mobile use case (laptop) as you have labs in colleges and its only at home you'd need to run these softwares. You can keep save files / projects on cloud.

I got 2x cores in a beefier processor and a dedicated graphics card + upgradeable RAM for the same price as a laptop. I'm sure in today's times it won't be much different.

Last edited by blackwasp : 10th July 2019 at 14:31.
Old 10th July 2019, 21:00   #5283
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayjaycleoful View Post
There's a new model of this with the 9th generation Intel.

https://www.amazon.in/HP-Pavilion-15...R6TZMMFHQ&th=1

It doesn't have the SSD though. How far are we from an SSD + 9th generation combination?
I just bought a Dell G3 8th Gen 2 days ago. For your requirements,

1. SSD or Optane is a must
2. 1050Ti is much faster than 1050, and will a boon for your usage
3. No much difference between 8th gen or 9th gen, as long as they are the 'H', i5+ processors.
4. The 9th gen laptops are relatively new, and hence you won't find many offers/ discounts on them.
5. The latest '16xx' series have a marginal boost over the '10xx' grraphic cards, but only on their exact counterparts. So no big loss there.

If you want the latest in hardware, then you can look at https://www.amazon.in/HP-Pavilion-15-bc513TX-15-6-inch-i5-9300H/dp/B07S8VNK4T/ref=pd_sbs_147_2/260-2263052-0565047?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B07S8VNK4T&pd_rd_r= 176b66c2-a326-11e9-9acc-512640565666&pd_rd_w=Lu6cq&pd_rd_wg=bxo9f&pf_rd_p= 87667aae-831c-4952-ab47-0ae2a4d747da&pf_rd_r=3YJ31M8FBFSB1KVSP740&psc=1&re fRID=3YJ31M8FBFSB1KVSP740

But if you do not need the mobility of a laptop, a desktop for the same cost will be a screamer.
Old 11th July 2019, 19:09   #5284
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
A laptop on that budget will not be the best in terms of raw power. You should instead look at using a desktop at home + an iPad / netbook for the presentations / mobile work.
Are you not being a bit archaic? I will say a high end laptop as the main system, and an iPad or whatever as the secondary system. Desktops are passe. I will go for a SSD setup with a external disk for backup.
Old 11th July 2019, 19:27   #5285
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Are you not being a bit archaic?
You have a point, but given the same budget, a desktop with better cooling will run rings around a similarly priced laptop. I have noticed this first-hand with my systems. Yes, a laptop is good when you have light loads, but when an intense load is being run, the laptop thermal throttles like crazy.

Take a look at some of the links below for more insights:

Video rendering on laptop vs Desktop

Techspot:
Quote:
But the bigger story is the CPU, most gaming laptops are limited to 45W CPUs and in 2019 will use the Core i7-9750H. This is a six core, twelve thread CPU that’s rated at a 2.6 GHz base and 4.1 GHz all-core boost. However due to that power limit, the i7-9750H often sits in the mid 3 GHz range when fully utilized. In contrast, lots of desktop builders will choose something like the Core i7-8700K, which has a much higher 95W TDP and easily exceeds that on a regular basis. It’s clocked at a 3.7 GHz base and boosts up to 4.3 GHz all-core, with typical behaviour seeing that CPU sit locked at 4.3 GHz in a multi-threaded workload.
One more video:
blackwasp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2019, 21:53   #5286
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by $tar_boy View Post
Hey guys! I am in the first year of Mechanical engineering and I am looking to buy a decent laptop sub 60k segment, primarily used for designing software like AUTOCAD, CATIA, SOLIDWORKS, AUTODESK, ProE Etc.

Please give me your suggestions. Also if you could give me links of sites/ tutorials to learn these softwares would be highly appreciated.
Graphics processor should be your first priority, if you plan to use any CAD software. Integrated graphics just won't cut it. At the very least, you would require an Nvidia MX150, and even with that one, you can't render heavy 3D assemblies comfortably. A GTX1050 or 1050Ti would be ideal, but a little difficult to get in your budget (limited choices). As for the CPU, an i5 (8th gen) should be good enough; i7 obviously can't be had in this budget, but i5 should do.

I'd recommend Dell's G3 or HP's Pavilion Gaming 15, as these two have good GPUs. Asus too has some nice laptops in this price range that have decent GPUs, so give them a try as well. An SSD would also considerably speed up things. Even if your model does not come with a SSD from the manufacturer, make sure it has an M.2 slot so that you can add a SSD later, on your own.

I had a similar requirement as yours, and recently ended up getting a Dell Inspiron 15 7580 from the US, for approximately 50k. The laptop has an i5 8265U, 8GB 2666Mhz RAM, 256GB PCIe NVMe SSD, Nvidia MX250 GPU. I wanted it for media consumption and some light CAD work, for which the MX250 is sufficient. I had initially planned on getting the Dell G3/G5, but they would be an overkill for my graphics requirements and are quite heavy and bulky too. The SSD in my laptop makes it blazing fast and absolutely lag-free. Trust me, once you get used to a SSD, an HDD would seem archaic. Hence I'd strongly recommend to get a model with SSD, or atleast the provision to add one, as said earlier.

Regarding tutorials for CAD tools, you have plenty of YouTube channels that provide detailed tutorials. That should be plenty enough to get a hang of the "basics", and the rest can be grasped through practice.

Last edited by ram.iyer95 : 12th July 2019 at 22:04.
Old 17th July 2019, 10:50   #5287
Senior - BHPian

Hello everyone.

I have been using Acer 4720Z laptop for last more than 11 years (purchased in February 2008). Have been a satisfied user. In all these years, I had the motherboard changed by Acer (Rs. 3000) and cooling blower changed once. The CD drive failed but I did not bother to replace as it was hardly needed by that time.

Now I am looking for another laptop and my needs are as follows:

i3 processor with 7 gen or later
1 TB hard disk, 8 GB ram
Graphic card
2 or more USB ports, preferably 4.
HDMI port
Display port
Ethernet port
SD card reader if possible, not a must.
DOS is enough. I can get Windows 10 installed.
Budget between Rs. 30,000 to 45,000.
Rugged and sturdy, durable model

The laptop will be used for business purposes, no gaming. I intend to use AutuCAD, Talley, Office, Coreldraw.

Can you suggest a make and model that fulfills the above requirements?
Old 18th July 2019, 12:37   #5288
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Bhalgat View Post
Hello everyone.

I have been using Acer 4720Z laptop for last more than 11 years (purchased in February 2008). Have been a satisfied user. In all these years, I had the motherboard changed by Acer (Rs. 3000) and cooling blower changed once. The CD drive failed but I did not bother to replace as it was hardly needed by that time.

Now I am looking for another laptop and my needs are as follows:

i3 processor with 7 gen or later
1 TB hard disk, 8 GB ram
Graphic card
2 or more USB ports, preferably 4.
HDMI port
Display port
Ethernet port
SD card reader if possible, not a must.
DOS is enough. I can get Windows 10 installed.
Budget between Rs. 30,000 to 45,000.
Rugged and sturdy, durable model

The laptop will be used for business purposes, no gaming. I intend to use AutuCAD, Talley, Office, Coreldraw.

Can you suggest a make and model that fulfills the above requirements?
https://www.amazon.in/Lenovo-Ideapad...MZ5XT0G5CT05V6

Has every thing you asked for, only thing that would make this a steal would be an 16gb Optane drive, to boost HDD performance. Beware, that there are few other models in the price range, but are limited to a HD screen. So check before you buy.

Last edited by Rohit_Quad : 18th July 2019 at 12:40.
Old 19th July 2019, 19:54   #5289
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohit_Quad View Post
Try this - HWmonitor - https://cpuid.com/downloads/hwmonito...nitor_1.40.zip
As you can see in the below image, it reports my battery is worn 32%. Btw, my friends similar Dell laptop, bought a couple of months before mine (May 2017), had the same problem as your laptop and needed a battery change. His laptop reported 98% wear level in HW Monitor. Why did his battery last so less? Mostly dependent on battery charging methods, etc.

Attachment 1892228
Hey, I just tried this and here are the results:
The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions-sc.png

If my battery wear level is 65%, any clue why it isn't working at all? Just to clarify, at the time of testing my laptop had the "permanently damaged" battery in it, and the charger plugged in, to provide power.

Thanks!
Old 20th July 2019, 00:00   #5290
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by boniver View Post
So, my October 2015 Dell Inspiron 3542 randomly shut off last evening and showed this error on startup. Now it's running as long as it's plugged in, but as soon as the plug's taken out, it turns off. Can anyone suggest a fix? )
Check if you have set the "save battery" or similar option to enabled in the bios. This ensures that the battery is never charged beyond 80%. This option is available in my 2018 Dell laptop, but I'm not so sure about the older models. Not charging beyond 80% greatly reduces wear on Lithium batteries.
If you are the DIY type, you can open up the battery pack and find if a cell is damaged, and then replace that cell alone. Look for youtube videos that show you how.
Old 20th July 2019, 00:22   #5291
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvadg View Post
Check if you have set the "save battery" or similar option to enabled in the bios. This ensures that the battery is never charged beyond 80%. This option is available in my 2018 Dell laptop, but I'm not so sure about the older models. Not charging beyond 80% greatly reduces wear on Lithium batteries.
Nope, I can confirm it isn't set to that. Also, I'll admit I have been extremely harsh on the battery. For a large part (98%) of it's 3.5 year life, I had left the laptop plugged in and on charge while using it. I'm extremely paranoid about having low battery on my laptop, because in the event of a power cut or charger failure, it'd be left with very less charge. I used to follow the same procedure with my cellphones too i.e. putting them on charge whenever I could to keep the battery as close to 100% as possible, but I'm slowly learning to mend my ways.

Quote:
If you are the DIY type, you can open up the battery pack and find if a cell is damaged, and then replace that cell alone. Look for Youtube videos that show you how.
Considering the fact that the laptop still runs flawlessly and without a single issue except natural wear and tear on the trackpad and keyboard, I think I'm going to keep this laptop for as long as it works fine. Keeping that in mind, I think it'd be best if I just buy a new battery, since they're not that expensive either. I can consider the DIY on the old one and keep it around as backup. Thanks!
Old 20th July 2019, 09:40   #5292
BHPian

Quote:
Nope, I can confirm it isn't set to that. Also, I'll admit I have been extremely harsh on the battery. For a large part (98%) of it's 3.5 year life, I had left the laptop plugged in and on charge while using it. I'm extremely paranoid about having low battery on my laptop, because in the event of a power cut or charger failure, it'd be left with very less charge. I used to follow the same procedure with my cellphones too i.e. putting them on charge whenever I could to keep the battery as close to 100% as possible, but I'm slowly learning to mend my ways.

Considering the fact that the laptop still runs flawlessly and without a single issue except natural wear and tear on the trackpad and keyboard, I think I'm going to keep this laptop for as long as it works fine. Keeping that in mind, I think it'd be best if I just buy a new battery, since they're not that expensive either. I can consider the DIY on the old one and keep it around as backup. Thanks!
I'd suggest you update your BIOS and check if it has the "extend battery life" option. Luckily, for me, my Samsung laptop had this option enabled by default. In the Dell, I had to look for it and enable it.

Also, for your phone, if you can root your device, Magisk charge controller module will prevent charging beyond 80%. Some custom ROMs also have this feature.

By the way, my dad's old Dell as had the same battery problem because it was connected 24 X 7 to the mains.

Last edited by mvadg : 20th July 2019 at 09:41.
Old 25th July 2019, 13:11   #5293
BHPian

Hello Team,

looking for a budget gaming laptop within 60,000 INR.
Need something with below specs
1. I5 9th gen 94xx / Ryzen equivalent
2. GTX 1050 or 1050 TI
3. 8 GB ram
4. SSD (optional)

I have shortlisted the below 3 :
1. ASUS TUF Gaming FX505DD 15.6" FHD 120Hz Laptop GTX 1050 3GB Graphics (Ryzen 5-3550H/8GB RAM/1TB HDD + 256GB PCIe SSD/Windows 10/Stealth Black/2.20 kg), FX505DD-AL184T (link here)
2. Asus ROG Strix G Core i5 9th Gen - (8 GB/1 TB HDD/Windows 10 Home/4 GB Graphics) G531GD-BQ036T Gaming Laptop (15.6 inch, Black, 2.4 kg) (link here)
3. MSI Gaming GL63 9RDS-864IN Intel Core i5-9300H 9th Gen 15.6-inch Gaming Laptop(8GB/512GB NVMe SSD/Windows 10/GTX 1050 Ti, 4GB Graphics/Black/2.22Kg ) 9S7-16P532-864 (link here)

Looking at games like GTA 5, Battlefield , NFS etc. Would plan to keep the new laptop for atleast 7-8 years.

Can t make up my mind between the 3 and am more inclined to the MSI.

Please help.
Old 1st August 2019, 13:30   #5294
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ne0N View Post
Hello Team,

looking for a budget gaming laptop within 60,000 INR.
Need something with below specs
1. I5 9th gen 94xx / Ryzen equivalent
2. GTX 1050 or 1050 TI
3. 8 GB ram
4. SSD (optional)

I have shortlisted the below 3 :
1. ASUS TUF Gaming FX505DD 15.6" FHD 120Hz Laptop GTX 1050 3GB Graphics (Ryzen 5-3550H/8GB RAM/1TB HDD + 256GB PCIe SSD/Windows 10/Stealth Black/2.20 kg), FX505DD-AL184T (link here)
2. Asus ROG Strix G Core i5 9th Gen - (8 GB/1 TB HDD/Windows 10 Home/4 GB Graphics) G531GD-BQ036T Gaming Laptop (15.6 inch, Black, 2.4 kg) (link here)
3. MSI Gaming GL63 9RDS-864IN Intel Core i5-9300H 9th Gen 15.6-inch Gaming Laptop(8GB/512GB NVMe SSD/Windows 10/GTX 1050 Ti, 4GB Graphics/Black/2.22Kg ) 9S7-16P532-864 (link here)

Looking at games like GTA 5, Battlefield , NFS etc. Would plan to keep the new laptop for atleast 7-8 years.

Can t make up my mind between the 3 and am more inclined to the MSI.

Please help.
Hi there,

"4. SSD (optional)" - shouldn't be optional if you are planning to keep the laptop for more than 5 years.

I keep banging on in this thread about SSD's/ atleast Optane + HDD, for a reason. I build these rigs regularly (hobby) and i am telling with first hand experience, Windows 10 is built with SSD's in mind. The snappiness with which windows 10 operates, on the same system, before and after swapping the windows HDD to a Windows SSD; is Day & Night. Also, windows has something called pre-cache and paging files which it accesses frequently, depending on work loads. My i7 lappy with 50 Chrome windows open was almost at 100% Hdd usage on a 1TB 5400 HDD (nothing was being uploaded or downloaded). Swapped it for a 450GB SSD, now barely single digit disk usage, for the same task.

Avoid option 2, only 5400 RPM HDD. No Optane or SSD.

Benefits of Option 1 -
1. Has 256GB NVME SSD (Much faster than SATA SSD)
2. Has 1TB for storing games and stuff.
3. Has a 120hz panel - butter smooth experience.
4. Decent processor and Ram

Biggest Flaw of Option 1 - it's GPU. The 3gb variant of 1050 is ok, but has lower memory bandwidth that the 1050 2gb variant, even though the Cuda core count is more. Now why should this bother you - 120hz panel. that means, theoretically the better the FPS, the smoother it will look, due to the 120hz panel. So a powerful GPU will deliver 120fps+, justifying the 120hz panel. But i doubt a 1050 3gb can hit 60+ fps in any of the games you have mentioned in High settings. I have a 1050 4gb and Tekken does max out at 60 fps on High~Ultra settings (60hz screen).

Do a bit of research on 1050 3gb mobile GPU's performance in those games you have mentioned, and if it hits good FPS in atleast Medium settings, get this laptop.

Now Option 3 benifits,
1. Has a 1050ti 4Gb - excellent GPU, super gaming experience
2. Has a display port - 2 monitors at a time.
3. Has USB Type C port as well
4. NVME 512 GB SSD
Cons -
1. Does not have a 120Hz display

So If you do not need point 2 and 3 in the above benefits of Option 3,

Go for this Option 4 - https://www.amazon.in/FX505DT-Graphics-5-3550H-Windows-FX505DT-AL106T/dp/B07RTYFS9S/ref=bmx_5/257-4255840-6720546?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B07RTYFS9S&pd_rd_r= 00243dc9-25ab-48b4-bfed-49a55cfea9bb&pd_rd_w=OX6JK&pd_rd_wg=i8g0l&pf_rd_p= 3f774187-1038-4763-87e7-fae96d806f3f&pf_rd_r=M8WHN84NGPMZBXYSDK33&psc=1&re fRID=M8WHN84NGPMZBXYSDK33

1. Better GPU than Option 1 & 3
2. Has the smooth 120Hz screen and a GPU that can do justice to it.
3. NVME SSD.

The only thing i feel, u might miss would be the display port. If you do not any intentions of running the laptop screen and 2 other screens simultaneously, go for option 4
Old 1st August 2019, 13:39   #5295
BHPian

Quote:
Hey, I just tried this and here are the results:
Attachment 1896283

If my battery wear level is 65%, any clue why it isn't working at all? Just to clarify, at the time of testing my laptop had the "permanently damaged" battery in it, and the charger plugged in, to provide power.

Thanks!
Looks like a battery replacement is in the line for you. HW Monitor is just a vague tool to see how bad the battery is. Mine says wear level is 39%, but a fully charged laptop is at 162% charge level. I am sure that means my laptop battery is gone beyond 50% bad.
Attached Thumbnails
The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions-capture.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks