Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd December 2018, 11:03   #5236
Team-BHP Support

Re: The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by francis_vaz View Post
Did you check the "Cleanup system files" option in the disk cleanup menu?
It offers the same functionality and helps you remove windows update files and also the recovery files which are saved during upgrade.
Thanks, just did and got around 5GB
Attached Thumbnails
The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions-11.jpeg  

Old 30th December 2018, 16:15   #5237
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Couple of months back, I got the Dell 5370 from Reliance Digital for 58,500 Rs - that's the cheapest price I could find anywhere. It's i5 with 8GB (with a spare slot to upgrade to 16GB if needed). It also comes with 256GB SSD. It's blazing fast. I also got the extended warranty from Dell directly for 4000 Rs odd.
There does not seem to be many reviews for Inspiron 5370 on the web. I did check few YouTube reviews. The laptop does seem VFM for the spec that's on offer. How is your 5370 holding up?
Old 30th December 2018, 16:42   #5238
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by searacer932 View Post
There does not seem to be many reviews for Inspiron 5370 on the web. I did check few YouTube reviews. The laptop does seem VFM for the spec that's on offer. How is your 5370 holding up?
Not much problems till now. The only thing I had an issue with is the Wifi card in most dell laptops is not as good as the ones in a Thinkpad (my earlier laptop). So I had to get a wifi extender in my 2nd room. And that worked out well. So now no issues.
Old 6th January 2019, 23:18   #5239
Team-BHP Support

Picked up this slick Dell Inspiron 5480 equipped with an 8th generation I5 procesor x 8GB ram x 1TB HDD to replace my Inspiron 1464 earlier today.
The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions-img_20190106_191952.jpg

As per the Dell sales executive all the new range of 5000 series (5480 & 5580) are equipped with m.2 ports to support SSDs.
Old 7th January 2019, 11:51   #5240
BANNED

Battery of my Lenovo conked off recently after 4 years. Lenovo website states a new battery in range of 5k, which I think pretty steep considering life of the laptop.

Has anyone ever used any non-branded standard battery? Can they be trusted? I don't need huge back up as the laptop is my personal one and stays at home. Anything near to an hour back up should be OK.
Old 7th January 2019, 11:59   #5241
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetrolRider View Post
Battery of my Lenovo conked off recently after 4 years. Lenovo website states a new battery in range of 5k, which I think pretty steep considering life of the laptop.

Has anyone ever used any non-branded standard battery? Can they be trusted? I don't need huge back up as the laptop is my personal one and stays at home. Anything near to an hour back up should be OK.
I have been using an aftermarket one on my ages old dell for just over one year now, and there have not been any issues so far.
Old 7th January 2019, 12:04   #5242
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

My HP G62WM (bought new in 2010) is on it's 3rd battery, and last 2 have been aftermarket one's bought from eBay / Amazon India. Works fine with zero issues. Be sure to calibrate your laptop correctly according to guidelines when you change batteries.
Old 7th January 2019, 12:10   #5243
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
I have been using an aftermarket one on my ages old dell for just over one year now, and there have not been any issues so far.
Seconded. I used aftermarket one in my last Dell without any issues.
Old 7th January 2019, 12:10   #5244
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
My HP G62WM (bought new in 2010) is on it's 3rd battery, and last 2 have been aftermarket one's bought from eBay / Amazon India. Works fine with zero issues. Be sure to calibrate your laptop correctly according to guidelines when you change batteries.

Thank you guys, it is reassuring. Planning to get one from amazon.

Any idea on average life of these aftermarket ones? I know it would vary, anything around 2 years should be VFM.
Old 7th January 2019, 12:29   #5245
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you guys, it is reassuring. Planning to get one from amazon.

Any idea on average life of these aftermarket ones? I know it would vary, anything around 2 years should be VFM.
Yes 2.5-3 years should be easy after which backup time starts tapering off. The last time I replaced mine was in mid 2018.
Old 7th January 2019, 16:48   #5246
mxh
BHPian

Guys I have a Dell G3 17, every time any Audio starts there is a loud pop and then the audio starts. This occurs when any device is connected to the Audio jack. Dell has already replaced the motherboard and re-installed the OS and drivers but the problem persists and due to this issue it's an awful experience to use this machine. Any idea what the problem could be? The sound chip used in this machine is Realtek.

Last edited by mxh : 7th January 2019 at 16:50.
Old 17th January 2019, 16:47   #5247
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Thanks man! But I'm very happy with my ultra-ergonomic Logitech:
Attachment 1759782
I've used the same mouse for over 2 years, but have now upgraded to the Logitech MX Master 2S. Fits better in a professional setting, is wireless, has a lot of features for power users(specially if you use more than one computer), and arguably has better ergonomics.
Old 18th January 2019, 14:37   #5248
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson View Post
I am currently looking for a laptop to be used for software development. One option is Dell Latitude 7490. Another option is Dell Precision 7530 having any one of the three(i7 hexacore, or Xeon hexacore, or i9 hexacore). Would appreciate feedback if anyone has actively used Dell Precision. Thanks!
I have been using a Precision M6800 i7 since 5 years and it has been reliable to the core. The latest that my organisation is using is the Precision 7530. I will suggest the Latitude if weight is a concern since the Precision series weighs like a brick after all it's basically a mobile workstation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Guys,

Just wanted to drop a note here. I really don't know if Dell's quality is the same as it was earlier.

1. My 6-month old laptop has already had its motherboard replaced. Was getting BSODs (imagine that in the middle of an official review) and after some diagnosis, the culprit was found to be the motherboard. In comparison, my year 2013 Latitude had like zero issues and is still running flawlessly.

2. Rehaan also bought a high-end XPS which had a display problem within the first month or two, leading to a full laptop replacement.

This is after spending well over 6 figures on each laptop .
The 7510 and the 7520 had lot of reliability issues. They used to have some issues or the other. The CAD engineers aren't happy with the performance and are still sticking to their 7-8 year old precision units (6700 and 6800).

PS- I found the the I7 much better than the Xeon (Recently worked on an animation project, I found the rendering speed much better with the I7).

Last edited by rakesh_r : 18th January 2019 at 14:42.
Old 29th January 2019, 01:08   #5249
BHPian

Planning to buy a new laptop to replace my Inspiron 15 3000 series. Confused between Dell Inspiron 15 7000 series and the IdeaPad 530s.
The only edge that Dell has are the processor (i7 vs i5 in the Lenovo) and Graphics card memory (2gb vs 4gb). But the Lenovo has 512 gigs of ssd against 1tb 5400rpm hdd of the Dell.
However, I'm a bit wary about Dell's quality. Can anybody shed some light?
Old 30th January 2019, 13:05   #5250
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raj_RD View Post
But the Lenovo has 512 gigs of ssd against 1tb 5400rpm hdd of the Dell.
All the current 5000 and 7000 series are equipped with an m.2 slot for mounting an NVME SSD of upto 500 GB. So you get to keep your mechanical HDD + SSD which makes it very convenient if you like to have a lot of data handy on your machine. The guys at the Dell store loaded the OS for my 5480 machine on the m.2 SSD right from the start and the setup works like a charm.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks