Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 14th October 2019, 09:03   #5371
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by HydroFuel View Post
Thats a good deal. Battery size is very good generally it is 2 cell 37wh something.
I am also looking for similar model on Amazon, Cliq. I think I should look for Flipkart also. Does buying online affect warranty?
The deal should have been much better if I had an ICICI credit card for which they were offering 10% additional discount (I have seen people got a similar set at Rs.36000/- by using ICICI CC). I used Citibank CC and I got No cost EMI offer.

Warranty: I think online sellers are not responsible for warranty matters. We have to contact Asus or their local service centres for any problem. 12 months warranty written on the package label, however, I have not received any warranty card from them so far.
Old 14th October 2019, 09:11   #5372
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nairrk View Post
I have not received any warranty card from them so far.

Typically, your bill is your warranty card with most vendors. And with most of them, once you register details with them, you don't even need the bill. Also, I have seen with many vendors that the warranty start date begins on the date the laptop was shipped to the vendor rather than the date it got shipped to you. So if this is the case, you will also need to get that corrected. This happens with both online & offline vendors.
Old 15th October 2019, 13:33   #5373
BHPian

Last week I had ordered a laptop directly from Lenovo website. It was a prepaid order. Everything went fine till I placed the order. Since then, whenever I went to check the order status, I am getting different status from different web pages. Yes, they have 3 different links to check the order status.

https://support.lenovo.com/in/en/account/myorder - The status shows shipment happened on 13th Oct and the item has been delivered (no date mentioned).
https://www.lenovo.com/in/en/my-acco...um/orderStatus - The status shows order is confirmed
https://www.lenovo.com/in/en/order-status/ - Page does not exist error

I sent an email to support (lenovosupport@ndcommerce.in), received a response stating that a ticket has been raised for my request. And I can follow the status of the ticket from this link
http://ndsl.helpserve.com/Tickets/Ti.../FNX-959-79213 - I get an error message when I opened this link.

I called up their customer support number 18004199733, which asks me to contact 02240174621 to know the order status. When I called this landline number, pre-recorded message asks me to send an email to customer support. So, the process starts again.

Does anyone has similar experience with Lenovo before? If not, does anyone has any other contact details?
Old 15th October 2019, 17:29   #5374
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavensri View Post
Last week I had ordered a laptop directly from Lenovo website. It was a prepaid order. Everything went fine till I placed the order....... similar experience with Lenovo before? If not, does anyone has any other contact details?
Hi kavensri

A couple of months back, we purchased a Lenovo P1 through the website directly. The pre sales support was very good but poles apart from the post sales service.

The post sale logistics is outsourced to ND Commerce, which in my opinion has the worst customer support I have ever seen in my life. It takes ~25 mins on an average holding on the IVR message before you get through to a real person .FYI they have only person manning the customer support station. After 4 frustrating days of being in the dark on the package status and multiple emails to customer support, I was able to get the ND Commerce customer support manger's contact who was not exactly helpful in expediting the package

The tracking issues arrive from the fact that they use some no-name, third grade courier named "Flight Despatch" which does not have a tracking system. Once you get the AWB number, call the coruier company to follow up on the status. I could not believe that a laptop worth 2 lacs is shipped though a no name company. I ended up collecting the package directly from the coruier office at the destination

I wish you do not go through this ordeal for getting your laptop. You have to constantly follow up with these folks till things move.You will eventually get it. I am forwarding you the ND Commerce Manager's contact and Flight Despatch guy's contact by PM

Edit - I might not have PM privileges. Appreciate if you drop a pm with your contact and I will be happy to share the relevant details

Revverend

Last edited by revverend : 15th October 2019 at 17:42.
Old 16th October 2019, 09:52   #5375
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revverend View Post
Hi kavensri

Edit - I might not have PM privileges. Appreciate if you drop a pm with your contact and I will be happy to share the relevant details

Revverend
I just sent you a message. Please check and let me know whether you have received it or not.

Thanks.
Old 6th November 2019, 20:47   #5376
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi friends, I have a Lenovo Flex2 (14") bought in 2015. It came preloaded with Windows 8 which subsequently got updated to Windows 10. Problem started since post update, it was impossible to shut down using soft keys and it was always shut down using the physical power button. It was a touchscreen laptop with 8GB HDD for fast boot up. Slowly, everything became slow. Since yesterday, it has started acting weird, I'm unable to connect any USB drive and it's giving me a shutdown command always. What could be the problem? I'm so fed up with it that I'm looking at basic budget laptop that can do simple stuff like help me in paying bills, transferring photos from camera to HDD, taking some print outs of documents etc. Plus I want a small screen laptop, preferably 12"-13". What are the options now? I'll prefer to stick to hp, Dell or maybe Lenovo.
Old 6th November 2019, 22:00   #5377
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
Hi friends, I have a Lenovo Flex2 (14") bought in 2015. It came preloaded with Windows 8 which subsequently got updated to Windows 10. Problem started since post update, it was impossible to shut down using soft keys and it was always shut down using the physical power button.
The latest Windows 10 update from Microsoft (About a week to 10 days) is buggy and causing 'start menu' problems in some Laptop/PC's, including mine. So, I am currently using the option of 'Control+Alt+Del' and choosing the 'Shutdown' option from there.
If you do not properly shut down continuously for 3 or more times, it will boot in safe mode. So, if you properly boot & shut down once, I think most of the issues should be gone.
Old 7th November 2019, 00:04   #5378
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi friends, I have a Lenovo Flex2 (14") bought in 2015.
Call 18004197555, its the Lenovo technical help line. I had problems with Windows 10 too, system running slow etc. They did a complete wipe on my laptop, updated the bios and reloaded Windows 10 and my problem was solved.

They will take remote control of your laptop, hopefully your issues will be solved too.

Cheers
Old 7th November 2019, 09:51   #5379
BHPian

Quote:
What could be the problem?
Appears to me to be a software problem. One or more of the running software/programs is not shutting down clean to allow windows to continue shutting down.

Clean re-install (of windows and/or suspect software) might fix it. You could also trying restoring to a time point when you know it was behaving good. Typically fresh re-install fixes most software related such problems.

Better solution - if possible chuck windows out the door and put some linux distro on it. All work you mentioned is just as easily accomplished on linux.

I don't think you need to change your laptop just yet. Little trouble shooting and further thinking on the problem should bring it back to a good state.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
They did a complete wipe on my laptop, updated the bios and reloaded Windows 10 and my problem was solved.
This is the standard solution to 'most' laptop problems where some buggy software could be a prime suspect. For few lazy folks at the service centers, this is easier than decent troubleshooting!
Old 7th November 2019, 10:30   #5380
BHPian

Guys, need some advice on a laptop. Its for my wife. She's a doctor and the lap will mostly be used for surfing and studies. Budget is 30K. My requirements are:

1. Good battery life
2. SSD if possible (128GB is fine)
3. Processor not a priority. No resource intensive task will be done. SSD should compensate for a slower processor I hope.

Any suggestions?
Old 8th November 2019, 09:44   #5381
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralJazz View Post
Guys, need some advice on a laptop. Its for my wife. She's a doctor and the lap will mostly be used for surfing and studies. Budget is 30K. My requirements are:

1. Good battery life
3. Processor not a priority. No resource intensive task will be done. SSD should compensate for a slower processor I hope.

Any suggestions?

I don't have an answer for you on which laptop would suit your needs, but I can assure you that a SSD will NOT COMPENSATE FOR A SLOW PROCESSOR
Old 8th November 2019, 14:27   #5382
BHPian

Quote:

1. Good battery life

Any suggestions?
https://www.flipkart.com/asus-vivobo...01573203253412

I recently bought this and is quite decent for the price.
Old 8th November 2019, 22:24   #5383
BHPian

Quote:
1. Good battery life
Not suggestions per se, but pretty much common knowledge most of us are already aware of -

For better battery life, I would think 9-cell lithium ion would serve much better than 3- or 6-cell ones. In addition, you could check for other ways also to improve the battery charge life (power management settings; airplane mode when one can; reduced screen intensity; etc.)

In general, the SSD will almost surely give better performance than the traditional mechanical HDDs on recent enough laptops (4-5 yrs). There is some care needed to choose a better SSD and its appropriate interface.

Would be hard to recommend anything. Most of them from popular manufacturers will be pretty much the same and nothing much differentiating them.

These days I see quite a few refurbished ones (I think many Indian websites also call it as redeemed or something) too. Personally, I would avoid them.
Old 11th November 2019, 14:16   #5384
BHPian

Got myself ACER Predator Helios 300 prior to Diwali. After all the discounts it costed me around 46000. Have been using it for about a month now, pretty happy and satisfied with the purchase.
Only downside is, since it is a gaming laptop it's pretty heavy in this age of slim notebooks.
Old 12th November 2019, 08:42   #5385
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highh5 View Post
Got myself ACER Predator Helios 300 prior to Diwali. After all the discounts it costed me around 46000. Have been using it for about a month now, pretty happy and satisfied with the purchase.
Only downside is, since it is a gaming laptop it's pretty heavy in this age of slim notebooks.

What is the config you got at this price?

Most Viewed