Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th May 2018, 13:32   #5101
BHPian

Re: The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
for 1.3 lakhs (including 5-year onsite warranty & 20k GST). .
Feels good no, when you can use the ITC upon such purchases.

What screen size were you using before this? How big does the notebook feel and is it portable enough?
I ask because I have been using a 11.6 inch Inspiron 2 in 1 and I find it very convenient for my usage. My usage is limited to email client, word & spreadsheet processing and browsing. (I would have used an iPad with a keyboard, but I need windows+ LAN capability).
However, most of the new notebooks are 14 inch plus with limited options in the 10-12 Inch screen category.
Do I need to be mentally prepared for a big screen in the next 2-3 years !
Old 7th May 2018, 15:25   #5102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by riteshritesh View Post

What screen size were you using before this? How big does the notebook feel and is it portable enough?
I ask because I have been using a 11.6 inch Inspiron 2 in 1 and I find it very convenient for my usage. My usage is limited to email client, word & spreadsheet processing and browsing. (I would have used an iPad with a keyboard, but I need windows+ LAN capability).
However, most of the new notebooks are 14 inch plus with limited options in the 10-12 Inch screen category.
Do I need to be mentally prepared for a big screen in the next 2-3 years !

Get something like the Microsoft surface pro then. Tablet+laptop in a 12 inch package. Similar products from HP like the spectre convertible and other brands are alao available.
Old 7th May 2018, 16:11   #5103
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkkkkaran View Post
Get something like the Microsoft surface pro then. Tablet+laptop in a 12 inch package.
True, but they are on the expensive side aren't they? I picked the Inspiron 11 3000 series 2-in-1 for something like 46000, 2 years back. I was checking out the then Surface Pro, but found it a tad expensive then.
Old 7th May 2018, 16:34   #5104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
Both, wireless and LAN seem to have proper values.

Need one more test to be run :

1. Disconnect LAN cable
2. Connect via WiFi
3. Run following commands:
ping 192.168.0.1
ping 216.58.220.14
ping google.com
nslookup google.com

And give us screenshots of output
Hi, thanks for the reply, will do as instructed and post the screenshots today evening.
Old 7th May 2018, 21:55   #5105
BHPian

Quote:
Guys,

Based on the advice on this thread (thanks for that!), I got a new Latitude 7490 with an 8th-gen Intel, 16 GB RAM, 500 gig SSD etc. It's got double the power of my 5-year old E6430, but is half the weight, very slim (slimmer than my brother's Macbook) and is blazing fast . The docking port is also super small and doesn't take up desk space like my older one. Still learning Windows 10 though.
Happy to hear your feedback on the laptop, GTO. May it serve you & TBHP well
You'll get used to Windows 10 in no time, worry not

Quote:
Question: I've been using Kaspersky on my Windows 7. Is it still the best? Or should I just use the preinstalled Windows Defender? What's the best anti-virus? Thank you in advance.
Kaspersky all the way! You can't beat the security of paid anti-virus programs.
I wouldn't trust Windows Defender at all, but maybe that's just me.

Cheers
Old 8th May 2018, 09:50   #5106
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by riteshritesh View Post
You bet, feels soooooo good! Also bought the laptop in company name for further tax benefits.

Quote:
I've always been using a 14" as anything smaller is too small and anything bigger is too bulky to carry around.

It is incredibly light & portable. My older E6430 wasn't, as it's bigger & heavier, but the new one is super slim & light (weight is just 1.4 kilos).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joxster View Post
Kaspersky all the way!
Thanks ! Done & downloaded.
Old 8th May 2018, 10:02   #5107
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Still learning Windows 10 though.

Question: I've been using Kaspersky on my Windows 7. Is it still the best? Or should I just use the preinstalled Windows Defender? What's the best anti-virus? Thank you in advance.
You won't need True crypt anymore. Windows 10 natively supports disk encryption using Bitlocker. Link.
Old 9th May 2018, 13:25   #5108
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
You won't need True crypt anymore. Windows 10 natively supports disk encryption using Bitlocker. Link.
Thank you! Truecrypt is anyway RIP so best to look for an alternative. Veracrypt is another alternative (built off Truecrypt).
Old 10th May 2018, 22:53   #5109
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Putting up a short review of the Latitude 7490 in case it helps anyone:

+ Small, light & super premium! Feels amazing to hold / carry. Entire body is covered with black rubberised plastic. Build quality is top class.

- This black rubberised material is a dust magnet. Placed next to my old full-metal Latitude, the new one already looks very dirty.

+ Quick & fast. Lots of power from the quad-core CPU, 16 GB RAM & SSD.

- While using it, the new Latitude doesn't feel that much faster than my 5-year old machine (both running SSDs). What's more, while the 7490 boots up fast, my old 6430 is even quicker! Guess Windows 10 is a more bloated software than the Win 7 of my older laptop.

+ Display is the best I've ever seen on a laptop. Easily meets or beats the standards set by Apple. My 6430's screen is not even comparable to this one.

+ Battery life. My 6430 saw 4 - 5 hours tops. Here, the indicator is showing anywhere between 8 - 11 hours!! That's a major boost in productivity. There have been situations where I have stepped out for work, and had to stop short because my 6430's battery died out.

- Some dimwit at Dell removed the dedicated 'home' and 'end' buttons. For 'home', you now have to use the function + arrow keys. Idiots.

+ Very premium keyboard is lovely to operate.

- Buttons are smaller than that of my 6430. I've already fumbled a couple of times. This is NOT a keyboard that I can use for writing a Team-BHP Official Review. Good thing I have a docking port + full size keyboard for office use.

+ As much I was apprehensive about moving to Windows 10 (from 7), I must admit that it's an extremely user-friendly & intuitive OS to use. I haven't gotten lost even once and there are a lot of nifty features built in (night light, bitlocker encryption etc.).

- Price. Expensive laptop at 1.3 lakhs with GST + 5 year warranty. My robust 6430 had cost me about 90k with all taxes + the same warranty.

+ Has a SIM card slot! No more cellphone tethering. Going to get a Jio SIM.

Frankly, my E6430 still looks great & offers fast performance. The only reason I upgraded is because it ran out of warranty, was 5 years old and Win 7 support is going to stop in <2 years. Going to keep it as a backup option.

Dell's Latitude series are fantastic business laptops and their onsite support is unmatched in India. It's ideal for entrepreneurs / professionals.

Last edited by GTO : 10th May 2018 at 22:57.
Old 10th May 2018, 23:24   #5110
BHPian

Thanks for the comprehensive review, GTO. Even here, you bullet out your points.
Glad that I was able to play a tiny part in your purchase. Let me know what the plan for the older Latitude is, and more importantly, if it's going up on the Giveaway thread, then I'm calling first dibs before it makes it there!
Old 11th May 2018, 09:02   #5111
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Good thing I have a docking port + full size keyboard for office use.
What was the cost of this dock ?
Old 11th May 2018, 09:12   #5112
BHPian

Quote:
Putting up a short review of the Latitude 7490 in case it helps anyone:

+ Small, light & super premium! Feels amazing to hold / carry. Entire body is covered with black rubberised plastic. Build quality is top class. ....
Glad you love the laptop.
This might sound like , but believe me if you do not have one of these silent mouse devices get THIS ONE. It takes your laptop working to a whole new level, simple yet feels very premium.
i.e. if you are currently using a regular wireless mouse device.
Old 11th May 2018, 13:26   #5113
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainPrice View Post
Even here, you bullet out your points.
What can I say - old habits die hard .

Quote:
Glad that I was able to play a tiny part in your purchase
Thanks for the advice!

Quote:
Let me know what the plan for the older Latitude is
Going to keep it as a failover option in case the new one conks off / is stolen / struck by lightning. Can't afford laptop downtime, man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
What was the cost of this dock ?
Got the super compact WD15 for 13k with taxes. Can be installed on the back of the monitor to save desk space.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmore View Post
This might sound like , but believe me if you do not have one of these silent mouse devices get THIS ONE.
Thanks man! But I'm very happy with my ultra-ergonomic Logitech:
The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions-20180511-13.20.43.jpg
Old 11th May 2018, 14:20   #5114
BHPian

Quote:
What can I say - old habits die hard .
They sure do.

Quote:
Thanks for the advice!
Anytime. All that we, as a community did, was point you in a direction which perhaps, you were already inclined to go.

Quote:
Going to keep it as a failover option in case the new one conks off / is stolen / struck by lightning. Can't afford laptop downtime, man.
Attaboy! That's the real response I wanted to hear. One does not put all their eggs into one basket. I wanted to see whether you'd apply your philosophy on beater cars here too.
- I remember a scene from Biswa Mast Aadmi where he discusses Bhagwaan's surprise tests and arrivals.

Quote:
Thanks man! But I'm very happy with my ultra-ergonomic Logitech:
Attachment 1759782
That's a crazily awesome mouse. For my large hands, it super comfortable and the clicks feel satisfying. Good decision. GTO.
Old 13th May 2018, 09:15   #5115
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Putting up a short review of the Latitude 7490 in case it helps anyone
One more negative:

- The 7490 feels a lot more plasticky (but is super light) than the robust 6430 (which had a lot more metal).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks