Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd September 2017, 13:18   #4981
BHPian

Re: The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
I got an Asus (something like this - https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-X200-11-.../dp/B00F0RDZ9Q, but in white and without OS). Got it from Amazon India for around 15k after all cashbacks. I use an old PC monitor with it at home to get a bigger screen once in a while. This was almost a year or more ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp1975 View Post
I placed the order yesterday , will update after receiving and using it for a few days.
Thanks for your suggestions, just ordered a Lenovo IP with Win 10
https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B07...?ie=UTF8&psc=1, landing is ~26.5 INR net of cashback + some pennies saved on the no cost EMI. Promised delivery is by Monday.

Had written to Lenovo support about warranty support on products bought on Amazon/FP and was told to share the system invoice copy and item serial number along with order confirmation mail. Does the invoice copy which comes attached to Amazon packages suffice?
Old 11th October 2017, 09:57   #4982
Senior - BHPian

Hi team,
I'm planning to buy a budget priced mid-range standard laptop with following specifications - 7th/8th gen core-i5, 4-8GB DDR4, 2GB Graphics card, 15.6" Full HD, DOS/Linux (No Windows needed). The thing I'm looking for is tolerable build quality and good hardware. Less than 50-55K. HP 15-BS576TX (43K) is the model I'm planning to purchase. Any other suggestions. Dell inspiron 5567 costs 57K here and it seems no value for money. Looking for only Dell or HP models.
Old 11th October 2017, 14:35   #4983
JLS
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepclutch View Post
Hi team,
I'm planning to buy a budget priced mid-range standard laptop with following specifications - 7th/8th gen core-i5, 4-8GB DDR4, 2GB Graphics card, 15.6" Full HD, DOS/Linux (No Windows needed). The thing I'm looking for is tolerable build quality and good hardware. Less than 50-55K. HP 15-BS576TX (43K) is the model I'm planning to purchase. Any other suggestions. Dell inspiron 5567 costs 57K here and it seems no value for money. Looking for only Dell or HP models.
Hi deepclutch,
I had purchased the following:
https://www.flipkart.com/lenovo-core...MEWM7FYFGCCBBR

Its 8 GB, i5 7th Gen, 2GB graphics, but not FHD. Display is okay not great, but fairly sturdy and well built.

I got it fairly cheap (with sale price and cash back) in 34,500, now it is back at 41,990.

Good laptop overall, you may want to consider.

Regards,
JLS
Old 13th October 2017, 09:27   #4984
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLS View Post
Hi deepclutch,
I had purchased the following:
I got it fairly cheap (with sale price and cash back) in 34,500, now it is back at 41,990.

Good laptop overall, you may want to consider.

Regards,
JLS
Thanks for the heads up. I'm looking for a Dell or HP. There are already 8th gen models available now from HP in India. I expected a price fall during Diwali, but is not happening! It looks like my options are (1) HP 15-BS576TX or HP 15-BR011TX (2) HP Pavilion AU639TX (online from eBay.in sellers) which suits the demand for Full HD display and 7th gen i5 processor. However, I'm skeptical on buying online from eBay because this HP Pavilion Core i7 4GB Nvidia gfx FHD IPS display model is a parallel import/grey import from Thailand, it seems. So, HP India warranty is doubtful. However HP AU639TX is excellent value for money - for a purchase in India.

Anyone knows how is the build quality of recent HP BS/BU series notebooks from HP in India? How is the after-sales and warranty service of HP? In my place, 90% of the sales are either HP or Lenovo which is what shops are claiming. Dell Inspiron 5567 is the model which fits the purpose for me. But, it is overpriced at 58600 here while I can get HP or Lenovo for 38-50K.

Also, I prefer buying from a reseller or big shops since I can check the models physically before buying. But, the prices are like 5-6K more than what Amazon, Flipkart, Paytm etc lists. :o

Last edited by deepclutch : 13th October 2017 at 09:29.
Old 21st October 2017, 09:40   #4985
BHPian

I am planning to buy Dell XPS 9560 with i7 and 16GB RAM, a non-touch HD version for my video and photo editing needs. I would like to know from fellow members/owners, whats the best way to purchase this model? Until recently Dell was only retailing 13" XPS here in India but only yesterday upon enquiring different Dell dealers came to know that 15" XPS might get launched early next month!! Upon further digging realised Dell India is listing XPS 15"(which wasn't the case earlier).
I am tempted to buy this one but I absolutely hate the fact that Dell decided to sell this here in India almost at the end of it's life cycle as they might very well announce next gen XPS in Jan next year at CES!! I am in a dilemma to weather to wait out for the next model or get the one available now.I am ok to wait for 2 months but again,when it gets launched in USA there are very less chance that it will be made available here in India right away. Anyone procured this model from abroad? what's the pro and cons like does it come with international warranty?
Old 31st October 2017, 02:17   #4986
Senior - BHPian

Team, whats the best Ultrabook series or compact lightweight laptop to buy?

Dont need more than 13", but ok to go higher if specs are better. Intermediate CPU will work. SSD must to keep weight and power consumption low. Can live with on board graphics. 8GB RAM preferred. Touch not preferred. HDMI port must.

Can spend around $1000 or close.
Old 31st October 2017, 03:54   #4987
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo View Post

Dont need more than 13", but ok to go higher if specs are better. Intermediate CPU will work. SSD must to keep weight and power consumption low. Can live with on board graphics. 8GB RAM preferred. Touch not preferred. HDMI port must.

Dell Inspiron 13 7000 series.
I have one with a 4K display, 8GB ram, SSD and it's fantastic.

If you're in the US, check out the Dell outlet store. Great deals to be had.
Old 1st November 2017, 02:15   #4988
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
Dell Inspiron 13 7000 series.
I have one with a 4K display, 8GB ram, SSD and it's fantastic.

If you're in the US, check out the Dell outlet store. Great deals to be had.
Mah...long time man. Great suggestion. Cut between the XPS and Inspiron after you mentioned the series.

Dell Outlets sell mostly refurbished pieces. Online seems to be better option.
Old 2nd November 2017, 11:54   #4989
BHPian

Folks, need some quick advice. I was looking to buy a laptop for my personal usage - browsing, netflix, mails, accessing pdfs, etc. I've been a pc user so was planning to get a windows laptop (yoga or thinkpad) and then maybe install linux for some tinkering. This is the config that I was considering - i5/8gb ram/128 or 256gb ssd. I had almost made up my mind on yoga 520 or yoga 700 series when amazon sale happened and I discovered apple macbook air 2017.

After much to and fro, I ended up buying Macbook air for 55k (vs. yoga 520@ 70k + no cost emi). Now I have had the MBA for 4-5 days now and even though I'm really liking the overall experience, the sub par display (1440 x 900) of MBA has got me revisiting my purchase decision.

I like the Mac features, similar to linux and much more, but I'm just not able to take my mind off what lenovo yoga was offering at a slightly higher price. I need some serious advice on what should I go ahead with - apple experience & lower specs OR windows experience & up-to-date specs? Mac book pro is too expensive for my liking.

NB: lenovo yoga 520 specs - 7th gen i5/8gb ram/256gb ssd/FHD 1920 x 1080. Return window for macbook is open till 4th Nov.

Last edited by lordvader : 2nd November 2017 at 12:02.
Old 2nd November 2017, 12:27   #4990
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordvader View Post
Folks, need some quick advice. I was looking to buy a laptop for my personal usage - browsing, netflix, mails, accessing pdfs, etc. I've been a pc user so was planning to get a windows laptop (yoga or thinkpad) and then maybe install linux for some tinkering. This is the config that I was considering - i5/8gb ram/128 or 256gb ssd. I had almost made up my mind on yoga 520 or yoga 700 series when amazon sale happened and I discovered apple macbook air 2017.

After much to and fro, I ended up buying Macbook air for 55k (vs. yoga 520@ 70k + no cost emi). Now I have had the MBA for 4-5 days now and even though I'm really liking the overall experience, the sub par display (1440 x 900) of MBA has got me revisiting my purchase decision.

I like the Mac features, similar to linux and much more, but I'm just not able to take my mind off what lenovo yoga was offering at a slightly higher price. I need some serious advice on what should I go ahead with - apple experience & lower specs OR windows experience & up-to-date specs? Mac book pro is too expensive for my liking.

NB: lenovo yoga 520 specs - 7th gen i5/8gb ram/256gb ssd/FHD 1920 x 1080. Return window for macbook is open till 4th Nov.
Yes, the screen quality and touchscreen is definitely better on the Yoga. and if you are a tinkerer at heart,a Mac will feel limited. however, it is a great productivity machine with an especially great battery life. If you have no problem with spending the extra, then do go for Yoga. (the MB air was actually down to 45-50K in the sales), but i don't know which seller would take back a perfectly working Laptop that you just bought recently. You may have it sell it off on your own.
Old 2nd November 2017, 12:58   #4991
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post
However, it is a great productivity machine with an especially great battery life. If you have no problem with spending the extra, then do go for Yoga. (the MB air was actually down to 45-50K in the sales), but i don't know which seller would take back a perfectly working Laptop that you just bought recently. You may have it sell it off on your own.
Productivity, that is the key word. I have never enjoyed using laptop as much as I did with MBA. I used to install Linux because it always felt snappier than windows and allowed me to customize my machine controls as per my workflow (app switching, etc.). And now I have got this out of the box in Mac, its made the decision process all the more complex.

I got the macbook from amazon which is why it has the option to return. Not sure if any questions will be asked if I do it within the stipulated time.
Old 2nd November 2017, 13:32   #4992
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordvader View Post
Productivity, that is the key word. I have never enjoyed using laptop as much as I did with MBA. I used to install Linux because it always felt snappier than windows and allowed me to customize my machine controls as per my workflow (app switching, etc.). And now I have got this out of the box in Mac, its made the decision process all the more complex.

I got the macbook from amazon which is why it has the option to return. Not sure if any questions will be asked if I do it within the stipulated time.
Stick with the Macbook air.

Quoting their return policy from Amazon.in

Laptops 10 Days; Replacement only,Not eligible for return if the item is "No longer needed"
Old 2nd November 2017, 15:59   #4993
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post
Stick with the Macbook air.

Quoting their return policy from Amazon.in

Laptops 10 Days; Replacement only,Not eligible for return if the item is "No longer needed"
You are right, thanks for looking it up. They are not letting me return and get a refund. Return and replace with higher model is also not an option.

I'll stick with MBA. Screen is a bummer but I guess "itne paise mein itna hi milega"
Old 3rd November 2017, 00:39   #4994
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo View Post

For a little over 1000$ you can get the following (Remember thankgiving sale)

Macbook Pro 13 i5/8gig/128gb (I've seen them on sale for $1150) - For best display and battery life. Can install windows if you a windows person like me.

Surface Book i5/8gig/128gb($1200)- For awesome bright 4K display. Very versatile and I love using it in tablet mode while reading mags thru Texture app.

Surface Pro 4 i5/8gig/256gb(1000$) - Does everything the book does but just smaller and lighter.

Razer Blade Stealth i7/16gig/256gb - little over 1300$ but you get top specs in a ultrabook package. Love the RGB KB.

Why do you not prefer touch?

Under 1000$

Dell XPS 13 FHD - Definitely well speced and great battery life. I bought the 4k version when it was released but returned. It's heavy for its size and the lid cannot be opened with one hand (irritates me) There is a precision version that's built better and that lid opens without lifting the base.

I got a dell latitude 12.5 with i7/16gb/512 ssd for 400$ in Dell outlet store(refub but looks new). But these will sell super quick (so quick that it will be unavailable by the time you checkout)
Old 3rd November 2017, 18:44   #4995
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin_bhp View Post
For a little over 1000$ you can get the following (Remember thankgiving sale)

Macbook Pro 13 i5/8gig/128gb (I've seen them on sale for $1150) - For best display and battery life. Can install windows if you a windows person like me.
Why do you not prefer touch?
Under 1000$
Dell XPS 13 FHD - Definitely well speced and great battery life. IThere is a precision version that's built better and that lid opens without lifting the base.
Great suggestion. I have narrowed it down to the XPS 13 vs Macbk pro. I need at least 256GB to make it useful. 128GB seems too anemic in today's world.
Not heard of the Dell precision version, any links, not seeing it on the portal. If you are referring to the developer edition, no preload Win 10, comes with Ubuntu

Last edited by mail4ajo : 3rd November 2017 at 18:48.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks