Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th April 2012, 20:56   #3481
Senior - BHPian

re: THE Laptop Thread: Configs, deals and questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadra View Post
Not sure if this is the right forum....

I am planning to buy a wireless mouse for my office laptop. Can anyone suggest any brand / model numbers here?

Thanks
There are thousands of brands available in the market starting with fairly cheap ones from Zebronics and the like to the slightly pricier Microsoft and Logitech products. As you will be using it for a long time (I presume), get one that fits comfortably in your palm.
Old 30th April 2012, 21:52   #3482
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadra View Post

I am planning to buy a wireless mouse for my office laptop. Can anyone suggest any brand / model numbers here?

Thanks
Been using a Logitech M310 for a couple of months now. It has good accuracy and as per the company the battery (1 AA) lasts for nearly 12 months. I will be happy if I get 6 months of life from the battery.

This should be good for basic browsing and office works, I suppose.
Old 30th April 2012, 22:59   #3483
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chennai-indian View Post
Am in US for a short visit and bought a HP dv7-6c95dx at best buy for $780

The config:

17.3 inch screen
8 GB RAM
750 GB hard disk
2nd Gen Intel® Core™ i7-2670QM processor
The only drawback is that it does not have a dedicated graphics card - has integrated Intel HD 3000 graphics. I felt that it was Ok considering that I would not use it as a gaming laptop.

Overall a very good deal compared to the ones we get back in India. I even got a tax refund from Bestbuy when I showed my passport. I did not know that you one get a tax refund - it was a US colleague of mine who told me to apply for it.
That is a spectacular configuration and such a price.
Could you share some information on the tax refund? Any links?
Old 30th April 2012, 23:40   #3484
BHPian

Quote:
Re: THE Laptop Thread: Configs, deals and questions.
Am in US for a short visit and bought a HP dv7-6c95dx at best buy for $780

The config:

17.3 inch screen
8 GB RAM
750 GB hard disk
2nd Gen Intel® Core™ i7-2670QM processor
The only drawback is that it does not have a dedicated graphics card - has integrated Intel HD 3000 graphics. I felt that it was Ok considering that I would not use it as a gaming laptop.

Overall a very good deal compared to the ones we get back in India. I even got a tax refund from Bestbuy when I showed my passport. I did not know that you one get a tax refund - it was a US colleague of mine who told me to apply for it.
Wonderful configuration. Congrates.
HD3000 graphics isn't all that bad. I was skeptical buying Lenovo Z370 few days back just because of HD3000. However it was quite in budget an I liked it and hence bought it.
Tried playing Flight Simulator X full version. Quite satisfied. No flickering images whatsoever.

Anyways, enjoy your new toy.

Rgds.
Old 1st May 2012, 11:31   #3485
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadra

Thanks
I've been using logitech wireless keyboard and mouse for last 3 years. Works like a charm still.
Old 1st May 2012, 11:53   #3486
BHPian

Two days back, i ordered logitech wireless keyboard ( k400) in ebay. It also have an integrated touchpad. Seller has not yet shipped it. Any bhpns using the same? feedbacks please
Old 1st May 2012, 23:09   #3487
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
That is a spectacular configuration and such a price.
Could you share some information on the tax refund? Any links?
If you are in Best Buy, just ask for Tax refund and they will help you.

Also, I was in Houston and at the departure terminal, they had a booth for Tax refunds. You have to show the bill as well the stuff you bought for getting the refund. I have seen such refund booths in Singapore but this is the first time I have seen such booths in US.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sindabad.sailor View Post
Wonderful configuration. Congrates.
HD3000 graphics isn't all that bad. I was skeptical buying Lenovo Z370 few days back just because of HD3000. However it was quite in budget an I liked it and hence bought it.
Tried playing Flight Simulator X full version. Quite satisfied. No flickering images whatsoever.

Anyways, enjoy your new toy.

Rgds.
Thanks. Yes, have been using the laptop for the past one week and very satisfied with it so far.
Old 3rd May 2012, 15:06   #3488
Team-BHP Support

Has anyone used/owns any of the Asus Mobility series laptops? I was looking for them and also good notebooks without any DVD drive.
Old 7th May 2012, 18:10   #3489
BHPian

Does anyone own the Thinkpad Edge 14 inch laptop? Its fits my budget perfectly ($500 in the US), is sturdy, has a good keyboard, and reports 5 hour battery backup. Just that I haven't seen anyone using it and was looking for some views.
Old 7th May 2012, 20:13   #3490
BHPian

Is there anything in India right now with Ivy Bridge other than the Alienware Range?
Old 9th May 2012, 09:40   #3491
Team-BHP Support

I have a Sony Vaio NW270F. Now, the laptop has a battery care function which goes as following :

If the laptop is used continuously on a/c power, it restricts the battery charging to 80%. So, the laptop is plugged in but doesn't charge. Following is the text :

"Battery life will be about 80% of the one of the fully charged battery, however, this mode prevents battery degradation and is more effective if you usually use the computer with battery power.
[Note] When you use the AC adapter to power the computer and the battery power is higher than the desired value, it takes time to reach the specified amount of battery charge. It is recommended to discharge the battery to less than 80% by using the computer with battery power."

It this advisable? I know the battery hardens and eventually the backup time is shortens if the laptop is always used on a/c power. So, is keeping the battery charged at 80% a better bet against using it on a/c power all the time and having it's life-span shortened?
Old 15th May 2012, 16:29   #3492
BHPian

My kid damaged the power adapter of my Lenovo 3000 Y410 laptop.

The wire is damaged at the place where it is connected to the sealed charger unit. Can this be repaired? A friend advised me of a shop in Lamington road which breaks open the unit to solder the wire back.

How are the chargers being sold on ebay? I saw ones for as low as 599. This is from a reputed seller and comes with a 3 month warranty.

Since the machine is almost 4 years old, I dont want to spend too much on a genuine adaptor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
I have a Sony Vaio NW270F. Now, the laptop has a battery care function which goes as following :

If the laptop is used continuously on a/c power, it restricts the battery charging to 80%. So, the laptop is plugged in but doesn't charge. Following is the text :

"Battery life will be about 80% of the one of the fully charged battery, however, this mode prevents battery degradation and is more effective if you usually use the computer with battery power.
[Note] When you use the AC adapter to power the computer and the battery power is higher than the desired value, it takes time to reach the specified amount of battery charge. It is recommended to discharge the battery to less than 80% by using the computer with battery power."

It this advisable? I know the battery hardens and eventually the backup time is shortens if the laptop is always used on a/c power. So, is keeping the battery charged at 80% a better bet against using it on a/c power all the time and having it's life-span shortened?
I have the same feature on my other Thinkpad, however the charging is restricted at 98 or 99%. Not sure if there is a setting to manage the levels. So far, the battery has not shown any degradation in past 9 months. I still get 3.5 hrs minimum whenever I am off AC power.

Last edited by abdriver2000 : 15th May 2012 at 16:32.
Old 16th May 2012, 10:57   #3493
Team-BHP Support

I connected my Vaio NW270F to my LCD via HDMI; the video output is there but audio is still through the laptop speakers.

What settings need to be changed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by abdriver2000 View Post
I have the same feature on my other Thinkpad, however the charging is restricted at 98 or 99%. Not sure if there is a setting to manage the levels. So far, the battery has not shown any degradation in past 9 months. I still get 3.5 hrs minimum whenever I am off AC power.
No option to select the max. charging level in my laptop either.
Old 2nd June 2012, 22:47   #3494
Senior - BHPian

Well well, after a lot of dilly dallying, I finally bought a laptop - HP G6 2008TX.

Specs can be seen here. I had actually gone to buy a HP DV6 because I loved the way it looked.

First I went to Croma, they had only one display piece which was around 3 month old. They were selling it at a tempting price though.

Then I went to Vijay sales. What I liked there was that the sales guy was extremely knowledgeable, technically proficient and very courteous. He explained the difference between the specs and also told me why the G6 2008TX was superior and why it suited my needs more than the Lenovo G570 and Z570. He also told me that the older DV6 was discontinued (explains why Croma did not have it in stock) and the new DV6 costs well above 50k...

Anyways, the new G6 comes with a Num pad (which I needed). It was launched in March 2012 as per him. I paid Rs. 39900/- for it. Yes, I got no discounts. I dont know how worth it is, would ask the opinions of dear BHPians on it...

Freebies I got :

1) A superb HP branded back pack (its really awesome)
2) An MP3 player
3) A kit of 10 accessories (multiple socket, USB fan, USB LED Light, USB hub, mouse, cleaning kit, USB vacuum cleaner, mouse pad, headset and card reader)
Old 3rd June 2012, 02:46   #3495
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
I connected my Vaio NW270F to my LCD via HDMI; the video output is there but audio is still through the laptop speakers.

What settings need to be changed?

No option to select the max. charging level in my laptop either.
You need to right click on Volume button in system tray, Select playback devices, select the Name of your LCD as default, which would be present there as you have used HDMI cable already.

if disconnecting LCD makes your laptop refuse to auto-detect the removal and audio is missing, select speakers as default in above location.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks