Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th March 2012, 14:15   #3451
Senior - BHPian

Re: Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
Guys,please help me.I use a 2 and half year old Lenovo G450 Win7 Home premium,4 GB RAM,320GB HDD,Pentium Dual Core 2.10Ghz and have had a trouble free use till yesterday.Since yesterday,I've noticed that the laptop is heating up a lot.I can even smell that hot air from it.Fan is perfectly working.I use it on flat surface most of the times.Now also its heated but i'm using a flat base.What could be wrong?
happened with my x60s. The laptop got so hot that it shut down.

Diagnosis - Battery heating up. Changed the battery and its back to normal. I got my battery online - ThinkPad T61 laptops, Thinkpad adapters, Thinkpad batteries, Lenovo batteries, Lenovo adapters

There is no G series battery here, may be they never released this series in India. The link to US site is

Lenovo G430/530/450/550 6cell Battery | 57Y6266 | Lenovo (US)
Old 17th March 2012, 14:18   #3452
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
Guys,please help me.I use a 2 and half year old Lenovo G450 Win7 Home premium,4 GB RAM,320GB HDD,Pentium Dual Core 2.10Ghz and have had a trouble free use till yesterday.Since yesterday,I've noticed that the laptop is heating up a lot.I can even smell that hot air from it.Fan is perfectly working.I use it on flat surface most of the times.Now also its heated but i'm using a flat base.What could be wrong?
An effective cooling pad is the solution to this problem.
Belkin, CoolerMaster are some of the brands you can look for.

Other than that, try getting it serviced and cleaned internally once. Dust accumulation is the main culprit here.

Last edited by DeKay : 17th March 2012 at 14:20.
Old 17th March 2012, 14:38   #3453
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks for quick replies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
happened with my x60s. The laptop got so hot that it shut down.

Diagnosis - Battery heating up. Changed the battery and its back to normal. I got my battery online - ThinkPad T61 laptops, Thinkpad adapters, Thinkpad batteries, Lenovo batteries, Lenovo adapters

There is no G series battery here, may be they never released this series in India. The link to US site is

Lenovo G430/530/450/550 6cell Battery | 57Y6266 | Lenovo (US)
The battery is not at all heating up.The heat is around the fan area and nowhere else.Even the keyboard above it heats up.Ya,i got this laptop from US way back in Dec.2009 but this model with 1 and 2GB RAM is available here and even the battery is available here.I got it replaced about 5 months back from Lenovo India.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeKay View Post
An effective cooling pad is the solution to this problem.
Belkin, CoolerMaster are some of the brands you can look for.

Other than that, try getting it serviced and cleaned internally once. Dust accumulation is the main culprit here.
I also feel that its dust accumulation thats there on the fan.Will check it out.
Old 17th March 2012, 14:56   #3454
BHPian

re: THE Laptop Thread: Configs, deals and questions

Any reviews about these? Might pick any one of these next month.

NEW HP i5/8gb PROBOOK ELITE BOOK 8440P 6550 MRP 80000 | eBay

HP PAVILLION CORE I5 1GB ATI ,2NDGEN, 8GB 500GB 15" LAPTOP G6. KING OF LAPTOP | eBay
Old 18th March 2012, 22:17   #3455
Senior - BHPian

Guys, I am about to purchase my laptop in the next two days. Till now, I have been only browsing through flipkart, but today I went to EZONE to check out the prices are they are identical to the online ones, so I thought its better to purchase it from there. Is Vijay sales or Croma cheaper than EZONE?

I am confused between the following models (all are 15"):

1) Lenovo G570 : 35k -
Intel 2nd gen i5
4 GB RAM
500 GB HDD
Windows Premium
(Z570 comes at a 3k premium since it has a metal body & G570 has a fibre body)

2) HP DV6 : 37k -
Intel 2nd gen i3
4 GB RAM
500 GB HDD
Windows basic
(I really like this lappy, especially in its expresso black colour)

3) Dell Inspiron 15R : 39k -
Intel 2nd gen i5
4 GB RAM
500 GB HDD
Windows Basic
(I was not too keen on the Dell, but it does look a class apart when compared to the Lenovo. I dint get to see the HP, so cant compare it with it.)

Now, specs wise - the Lenovo seems maximum bang for the buck. Dell looks the most premium of the lot, but it is the most expensive as well, IMO it does not seem value for money. HP seems to be a good compromise but it comes with i3 instead of i5.

What should I opt for?
Old 19th March 2012, 09:40   #3456
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
Guys, I am about to purchase my laptop in the next two days. Till now, I have been only browsing through flipkart, but today I went to EZONE to check out the prices are they are identical to the online ones, so I thought its better to purchase it from there. Is Vijay sales or Croma cheaper than EZONE?

I am confused between the following models (all are 15"):

1) Lenovo G570 : 35k -
Intel 2nd gen i5
4 GB RAM
500 GB HDD
Windows Premium
(Z570 comes at a 3k premium since it has a metal body & G570 has a fibre body)

2) HP DV6 : 37k -
Intel 2nd gen i3
4 GB RAM
500 GB HDD
Windows basic
(I really like this lappy, especially in its expresso black colour)

3) Dell Inspiron 15R : 39k -
Intel 2nd gen i5
4 GB RAM
500 GB HDD
Windows Basic
(I was not too keen on the Dell, but it does look a class apart when compared to the Lenovo. I dint get to see the HP, so cant compare it with it.)

Now, specs wise - the Lenovo seems maximum bang for the buck. Dell looks the most premium of the lot, but it is the most expensive as well, IMO it does not seem value for money. HP seems to be a good compromise but it comes with i3 instead of i5.

What should I opt for?
I prefer metal body, so would recommend the Z570. Just check whether the warranty is 3 years or 1 year, if latter can you get 3-4 years additional. That ensures that you have a trouble free ownership.
Old 21st March 2012, 16:21   #3457
BHPian

Anyone here have used the Acer S Series laptop, need to know how it is.

And also on the XPS 14" laptops, looking for something which is slim and light.
Old 22nd March 2012, 16:07   #3458
Senior - BHPian

Guys its laptop time again. And now its going to be a Mini. I was looking for a mini in December then the buying got postponed. So I am back again.

It will be mostly used for internet purposes and some office work. Mom and Dad will use it. Mom for chatting with di in skype and dad for the usual office work. S what should I go for? Budget is around 16K max. So? PLEASE help me out.
Old 23rd March 2012, 12:38   #3459
BHPian

I was just searching a few websites when I found this!

STAR CJ Internet Shopping Mall

Yes, it has the 1st gen i5 processor and a 4 cell battery, but at 16k, it is a steal! Comes with genuine windows 7, a 15.6" screen, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD, webcam, mic, fingerprint reader and what not! Looks like I'll be buying this and saving a few thousands.
Old 23rd March 2012, 12:41   #3460
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by prateekm View Post
I was just searching a few websites when I found this!

STAR CJ Internet Shopping Mall

Yes, it has the 1st gen i5 processor and a 4 cell battery, but at 16k, it is a steal! Comes with genuine windows 7, a 15.6" screen, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD, webcam, mic, fingerprint reader and what not! Looks like I'll be buying this and saving a few thousands.
Star CJ doesn't have that good a reputation for customer service, delivery & everything.
Old 27th March 2012, 20:44   #3461
BHPian

I was fiddling with the disk of my windows 7 laptop to squeeze out an extra partition. Unfortunately all partitions seem to have become dynamic ones and the laptop fails to boot. Help!
Old 27th March 2012, 21:11   #3462
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
It will be mostly used for internet purposes and some office work. Mom and Dad will use it. Mom for chatting with di in skype and dad for the usual office work. S what should I go for? Budget is around 16K max. So? PLEASE help me out.
Whichever you buy, don't buy HP Mini series netbooks. My HP Mini 210 got completely useless before reaching its first birthday. Screen, hard disk, battery, USB ports, RAM and God knows what else, all failed one by one. I've experience of repairing many friends' laptops but repairing my Mini is just worthless. It will cost a bomb. And HP parts are simply not available anywhere but only at service centers. It's better to buy a new one. It is my first and last ever HP product. Every single friend of mine who bought HP products also swear that they will never buy an HP product again. (I'm not bashing HP. I love them but I've to accept that they've become world's worst computer company. It's time to forget them and move on.)

As per feedbacks from others, Acer netbooks seem to be most reliable, closely followed by Lenovo. If you know technical know-how's of repairing and keeping laptop in pristine condition then Dell suits you best. With little care and replacing faulty parts, my all my Dells' performances are same as on day one. And its parts don't cost bomb like HP parts do.

Search Flipkart for your netbook. No one can suggest you laptops available in your budget as good as Flipkart.

Now that my Mini's screen doesn't work anymore, I'm in hunt for a new netbook for my parents. Priority is same as you. Video chatting and office work by parents. Thinking to buy a tablet instead of a netbook this time. A Blackberry Playbook tomorrow evening for price of 14k.

Why BB Playbook? It has got MS Office for dad and the best browser for mom. Its browser is as fast as Chrome beta on Android Ice Cream Sandwich and has quite fluid user interface making it as pleasant to use as Apple iPad. Only I hate the smallish 7 inch screen. I hated my Mini's 10 inch screen. I'm hoping that I'll get used to it since it's a tablet, not a netbook. Just like, I love my Windows Phone's 3.7 inch screen.

I'll have to see how to have video chat on BB Playboook. I'm sure that I'll find a way to enable video chat on Playbook with a PC once I get my hands on it.
Old 28th March 2012, 14:58   #3463
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsCry View Post
Whichever you buy, don't buy HP Mini series netbooks. My HP Mini 210 got completely useless before reaching its first birthday. Screen, hard disk, battery, USB ports, RAM and God knows what else, all failed one by one. I've experience of repairing many friends' laptops but repairing my Mini is just worthless. It will cost a bomb. And HP parts are simply not available anywhere but only at service centers. It's better to buy a new one. It is my first and last ever HP product. Every single friend of mine who bought HP products also swear that they will never buy an HP product again. (I'm not bashing HP. I love them but I've to accept that they've become world's worst computer company. It's time to forget them and move on.)

As per feedbacks from others, Acer netbooks seem to be most reliable, closely followed by Lenovo. If you know technical know-how's of repairing and keeping laptop in pristine condition then Dell suits you best. With little care and replacing faulty parts, my all my Dells' performances are same as on day one. And its parts don't cost bomb like HP parts do.

Search Flipkart for your netbook. No one can suggest you laptops available in your budget as good as Flipkart.

Now that my Mini's screen doesn't work anymore, I'm in hunt for a new netbook for my parents. Priority is same as you. Video chatting and office work by parents. Thinking to buy a tablet instead of a netbook this time. A Blackberry Playbook tomorrow evening for price of 14k.

Why BB Playbook? It has got MS Office for dad and the best browser for mom. Its browser is as fast as Chrome beta on Android Ice Cream Sandwich and has quite fluid user interface making it as pleasant to use as Apple iPad. Only I hate the smallish 7 inch screen. I hated my Mini's 10 inch screen. I'm hoping that I'll get used to it since it's a tablet, not a netbook. Just like, I love my Windows Phone's 3.7 inch screen.

I'll have to see how to have video chat on BB Playboook. I'm sure that I'll find a way to enable video chat on Playbook with a PC once I get my hands on it.
Playbook for 14K only??? but i dont think my parents would be able to handle a tablet. regarding the HP mini a friend of mine had a similar experience. So i am noway going with HP. Probably an ACER would do. The hunt is on.
Old 28th March 2012, 15:06   #3464
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
Playbook for 14K only??? but i dont think my parents would be able to handle a tablet. regarding the HP mini a friend of mine had a similar experience. So i am noway going with HP. Probably an ACER would do. The hunt is on.
Yes, Playbook is available for 14k only. Check out last few pages of this thread http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...-et-al-26.html. The Playbook is fast gaining a lot of happy customers.

Earlier, Playbook was not even in my consideration. I was hunting for a netbook. Thanks to T-BHP, I came to know about how awesome Playbook is. This is surprising since I follow a lot of gadget forums and sites and yet never thought even once about Playbook. Like TD of cars, my parent went for a demo of Playbook at one of Spice stores. Verdict? No more netbook for them. Only Playbook! Most probably going to buy it today

Perhaps you could also ask your parents to take a demo of Playbook?

Last edited by DevilsCry : 28th March 2012 at 15:07. Reason: Adding one more line
Old 28th March 2012, 15:15   #3465
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsCry View Post

Perhaps you could also ask your parents to take a demo of Playbook?
My daddy is a tough cookie and coaxing him to buy a tablet would be difficult. but still I can take them to the BB store and get a demo. Lets see how it turns out.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks