Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th December 2011, 16:25   #3361
Senior - BHPian

re: THE Laptop Thread: Configs, deals and questions

You can swap out slot-loading DVD drive of dell laptops with Blu ray drive from Dell. That costs 7k and warranty remains valid.

That is because most brands do not include Blu ray drives in sub-50k laptops.
Old 12th December 2011, 20:46   #3362
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai
What is the cheapest laptop available in India with blu-ray drive?
I remember configuring a dell XPS 15 with a blu ray drive. The barebone i3 version with blu ray should cost somewhere between 49k and 51k.

Check out dell india website and try out the online config option. IMO the inspiron and vostro series that costs less does not have the blu ray option.

P.S. IIRC the add on was jus 2.5k more than the conventional player plus you get a couple of blu ray movies bundled with that option. Am on the move, hence am unable to check the website at the moment.

Last edited by Warwithwheels : 12th December 2011 at 20:50.
Old 12th December 2011, 20:53   #3363
BHPian

I do consider the Lenovo Thinkpad one of the better laptops. It isn't sold at computer retail stores so you'll have to get in touch with a distributor directly. Do let me know if you want a contact to reach Lenovo.

The USP of a Thinkpad is the metal hinges that outlast any other laptop out there. Also, the Thinkpad series has a separate customer support division so don't settle for an Ideapad.

If you are concerned about the price difference, trust me - the Thinkpad will outlive whatever you choose to buy and will make the difference worth it.
Old 14th December 2011, 17:54   #3364
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys, i have a vaio SZ series.
I have some problems with it.
One, the fan makes a clicking noise, but if i remove pressure from the base, the sounds gone.
Conclusion being that the fan loose or something, and fouls somewhere.
2, the DVD writer's kaput.
3, th etouchpad and keyboard are moody,in that they sometimes stop working.
gotta use a usb mouse and the onscreen keyboard.
anybody know if this is a vaio generic problem?

This guy is solely used to download stuff overnight, occasional checks on the forum and FB,browsing basically.

I dont want to junk it.
It was quite expensive, and is still one of the best looking lappies i have ever used.

anyone know how much it would cost roundabout to fix it up, and should i go to Sony, or nehru place?
I know sony charges 1000 bucks flat for touching a notebook, repairs if possible are later, and extra.
help please.
Old 14th December 2011, 19:09   #3365
BHPian

@MayankK

If you have a screw driver and the confidence to put together a jigsaw puzzle, you can open up the case and look at what's up with the fan. There's either a wire or something touching the fan blades because of the pressure - are you pushing down on it with your hand or is the pressure from the weight of the laptop itself? You could try greasing up the fan if the sound is more like that of a tiny motor running with lots of friction.

You probably will not need the DVD drive. I haven't used mine in two years, except when making a Linux CD for another computer.

Intermittent failure of the touchpad and keyboard is hard to troubleshoot. You might as well use the computer as a desktop by attaching external peripherals.

If you have warranty on the computer, which I assume you don't, you should go to the manufacturer. If not, you might be able to get a cheaper deal from someplace else with the risk that the computer will be in worse condition so always head to someone who knows what he/she is doing.
k_nitin_r is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2011, 20:37   #3366
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_nitin_r View Post
@MayankK

If you have a screw driver and the confidence to put together a jigsaw puzzle, you can open up the case and look at what's up with the fan. There's either a wire or something touching the fan blades because of the pressure - are you pushing down on it with your hand or is the pressure from the weight of the laptop itself? You could try greasing up the fan if the sound is more like that of a tiny motor running with lots of friction.

You probably will not need the DVD drive. I haven't used mine in two years, except when making a Linux CD for another computer.

Intermittent failure of the touchpad and keyboard is hard to troubleshoot. You might as well use the computer as a desktop by attaching external peripherals.

If you have warranty on the computer, which I assume you don't, you should go to the manufacturer. If not, you might be able to get a cheaper deal from someplace else with the risk that the computer will be in worse condition so always head to someone who knows what he/she is doing.
Thanks.
The noise is just by its own weight.
DVD, yeah, youre right.
but sometimes a pod in the car is just not sufficient.
just to have all my libraries available.

Well, i did open it up once, then shut it back up.
nothing was accessible accept the ram.
I think ill take it to nehru place only.
Old 14th December 2011, 21:26   #3367
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
The noise is just by its own weight.
DVD, yeah, youre right.
but sometimes a pod in the car is just not sufficient.
just to have all my libraries available.

Well, i did open it up once, then shut it back up.
nothing was accessible accept the ram.
I think ill take it to nehru place only.
I have a cable to connect the audio jack of the computer to the auxiliary input audio jack of the car stereo. You can carry your computer with you when you get to the car so everything, all of your data, gets to take the trip with you :-)

The bottom plate of the computer typically only provides access to the RAM. You need to open it up from the area around the keyboard. The section near the base of the screen and the palm rest will open up, the keyboard will come off and you can access the components from right there.

Last edited by k_nitin_r : 14th December 2011 at 21:31.
k_nitin_r is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2011, 15:34   #3368
BANNED

Just ordered an ASUS K53SV-SX521D. Superb specs, i7-Quad, 8GB, 2GB on NVidia GT540M, 750GB... at under 49k. Will again try and load Win7 64 Pro with SP1 on site license. Expect it by Monday at the latest.
Old 23rd December 2011, 20:04   #3369
BANNED

Got it yesterday.Is like greased lightening,except the hard disk could be faster. Trying to locate the 5 in 1 card reader!
Old 24th December 2011, 23:10   #3370

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Got it yesterday.Is like greased lightening,except the hard disk could be faster. Trying to locate the 5 in 1 card reader!
You can always get a 7200RPM HDD with good amount of cache memory and large disk space or a faster and expensive SSD and very easily install it yourself. The old drive that comes out of the laptop can be used as a external HDD by getting a HDD casing for something as low as Rs 250. All this without loosing the warranty.
Old 27th December 2011, 01:10   #3371
Distinguished - BHPian

http://www.flipkart.com/m/computers/...md3gtzyrdfpnf7

Thinking of getting this and installing ubuntu instead of windows.

Primary usage would be browsing, office work(docs), movies, music and image editing.

Will this config suffice or should I go for an i5 at about 5k more?
Old 27th December 2011, 12:13   #3372
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Flipkart.com: Online Store

Thinking of getting this and installing ubuntu instead of windows.

Primary usage would be browsing, office work(docs), movies, music and image editing.

Will this config suffice or should I go for an i5 at about 5k more?
For basic image editing, i3 is more than sufficient. I use photoshop and illustrator on my i3 based rig. Just add 2GB of RAM and it'll live up to your expectation. But if you want your lappy to be a bit more future-proof, go for i5.

Last edited by creative420 : 27th December 2011 at 12:20. Reason: more info
creative420 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2011, 12:50   #3373
Senior - BHPian

I have a 3 year old Compaq Presario C700 laptop running on Vista Home Edition . I want to format my HDD and reinstall Vista ,but am not able to do it .

I tried to change the boot sequence start with the DVD ,but it doesnt ask for the options ?

Neither can I format from Command Prompt .

Any tips on how ?
Old 27th December 2011, 12:55   #3374
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya View Post
I have a 3 year old Compaq Presario C700 laptop running on Vista Home Edition . I want to format my HDD and reinstall Vista ,but am not able to do it .

I tried to change the boot sequence start with the DVD ,but it doesnt ask for the options ?

Neither can I format from Command Prompt .

Any tips on how ?
Is your DVD bootable?
are you able to enter the BIOS.

But before anything else, why do you want to install vista again, if you are formatting the system?
Old 27th December 2011, 13:01   #3375
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Is your DVD bootable?
are you able to enter the BIOS.

But before anything else, why do you want to install vista again, if you are formatting the system?

Yeah ,its a bootable DVD and I am able to enter the BIOS .

The laptop has got hundreds of issues with the anti virus not being able to detect the virus .Couple of SW which I cannot uninstall .

I have been able to do this earlier ,but now I cannot .

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks