Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th October 2010, 10:32   #2611
BHPian

@chevelle

Just to let you know that the Thinkpad x100e is also available in AMD Athlon L625 Dual Core variant. That is a much better chip. If it falls within your budget, then that is the one to aim for.
Don't know much about the Intel N450, but the AMD chip runs quite hot. Is that an issue?
I personally would buy the Thinkpad (but in the Dual Core variant).
Old 26th October 2010, 11:22   #2612
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raja View Post
@chevelle

Just to let you know that the Thinkpad x100e is also available in AMD Athlon L625 Dual Core variant. That is a much better chip. If it falls within your budget, then that is the one to aim for.
Don't know much about the Intel N450, but the AMD chip runs quite hot. Is that an issue?
I personally would buy the Thinkpad (but in the Dual Core variant).
Thanks for reply Raja.

x100e with L625 cost $550 plus tax which brings it to $610. While x100e with MV-40 i mentioned is $290 plus tax which is around $330. If i miss the deal on MV-40, the closest is $450 plus tax on same spec.

Do you think its worth the difference to pay double the price?

Does performance gets affected if it runs hot? And is it very hot compared to Intel's chip? If yes it could be an issue.
Old 26th October 2010, 13:49   #2613
Team-BHP Support

Any idea about Asus K42JA series?
They have 2GB ATI 5730 card which is a step up from the 5650 available in some ACER models for 45000 (with i5)
Old 26th October 2010, 14:36   #2614
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
Thanks for reply Raja.

x100e with L625 cost $550 plus tax which brings it to $610. While x100e with MV-40 i mentioned is $290 plus tax which is around $330. If i miss the deal on MV-40, the closest is $450 plus tax on same spec.

Do you think its worth the difference to pay double the price?

Does performance gets affected if it runs hot? And is it very hot compared to Intel's chip? If yes it could be an issue.
To be honest, it's not worth paying close to double for the L625 variant. The deal you have mentioned is very good, but then low performance of the MV-40 is too much of a compromise.
From all that I have read (notebookreview.com and thinkpads.com forums), the x100e does heat up ALOT when pushed. Please search through the mentioned forums for some real user experiences.
I would see if there are alternatives to the Atom based machines you are looking at. Any low spec Intel core based systems? They would run rings around an Atom system and would be much cooler than the AMD systems.

(I personally am very tempted buy a high spec Thinkpad x100e from UK. The only thing holding me back is missing HDMI port and the heat issue.)
Old 26th October 2010, 14:57   #2615
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raja View Post
To be honest, it's not worth paying close to double for the L625 variant. The deal you have mentioned is very good, but then low performance of the MV-40 is too much of a compromise.
From all that I have read (notebookreview.com and thinkpads.com forums), the x100e does heat up ALOT when pushed. Please search through the mentioned forums for some real user experiences.
I would see if there are alternatives to the Atom based machines you are looking at. Any low spec Intel core based systems? They would run rings around an Atom system and would be much cooler than the AMD systems.

(I personally am very tempted buy a high spec Thinkpad x100e from UK. The only thing holding me back is missing HDMI port and the heat issue.)
Thank you for the website names. I looked around to get better review but forgot the popular notebook reviews website.

I guess heat issues are a lot, so i will pass. Even the atoms are not too good at performance since they can't handle hd video as on board graphics is not capable of doing. Either ways its a compromise after spending some $350 bucks on either of them. In one its heat issue and performance and in another its performance issue with 1 inch size difference. I haven't factored in battery life since even if i get 5 hours i had be happy. anything additional is just a bonus.

is the NVidia/ATI graphics cards now paired with Atoms? I wonder why its not done yet if it isn't
Old 26th October 2010, 15:47   #2616
BHPian

Quote:
is the NVidia/ATI graphics cards now paired with Atoms? I wonder why its not done yet if it isn't
There is the 'Nvidia Ion' which is a repackaged Nvidia GeForce 9400M.

Look here for a list of netbooks: Nvidia Ion - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I don't know how up-to-date it is, but a good starting point.
Old 27th October 2010, 09:09   #2617
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The chip can destroy itself if it overheats. A hot laptop will be extremely uncomfortable on your lap and there are cases when synthetic material have melted due to laptop heat!

A netbook is not an ideal platform for video, the CPU is just not powerful enough. As a graphics card is also expensive, a low cost solution will just not do. I would suggest a more powerful laptop in case you want to play modern games and watch movies.
Old 27th October 2010, 09:28   #2618
BANNED

As for Athlon chips my daughter has a Compaq with an Athlon 64x2 for over four years. Pleanty of problems with the laptop, none with the CPU. The AMD device does run hot, but then the cooling takes care of it. I will go for the AMD any day since it is far cheaper, and comes with a separate graphics card (AMD do not have built-in graphics)
Old 27th October 2010, 09:33   #2619
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Any idea about Asus K42JA series?
They have 2GB ATI 5730 card which is a step up from the 5650 available in some ACER models for 45000 (with i5)
Don't know about K42J, but I am very happy with my Asus A52J series(i5/4GB/1GB Ati 5470/500GB) laptop which I bought in January.
Old 27th October 2010, 11:17   #2620
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
The chip can destroy itself if it overheats. A hot laptop will be extremely uncomfortable on your lap and there are cases when synthetic material have melted due to laptop heat!

A netbook is not an ideal platform for video, the CPU is just not powerful enough. As a graphics card is also expensive, a low cost solution will just not do. I would suggest a more powerful laptop in case you want to play modern games and watch movies.
Yes i am aware of the extremes. I was just talking about day to day use. I had a desktop AMD for well over 5 years and it was awesome, both in terms of performance and features as well as price. I guess they still have some catch up to do in mobile processors.

There won't be any games played, but videos yes. We don't want big screen size. I wanna stop max at 13.3. Wanna keep the weight as low as possible. That's why 10.1 and 11.1 inches netbooks makes sense. I already have 2 15.4 inches laptop. I thought of getting new McBook Air, but as per reviews its not worth $1000. That's why this confusion.

And a technical question: Is it ok if we put laptop upside down on floor or carpet? Will the LCD get affected? The reason i do is if i put it base down on carpet, due to processor running and fan running it will absorb dirt and misc things for carpet thereby causing problem. So is the upside down a good option? Please advice

Last edited by chevelle : 27th October 2010 at 11:29.
Old 27th October 2010, 11:29   #2621
BANNED

@chevelle: My thoughts exactly. I have an Acer 3810T, 1.2kg, 13.3", no DVD. But the battery conked out within the warranty. My daughter in law bought the same and the second better conked out - warranty runs out on 2/11!

The norm now seems to be becoming 14".
Old 27th October 2010, 12:25   #2622
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
@chevelle: My thoughts exactly. I have an Acer 3810T, 1.2kg, 13.3", no DVD. But the battery conked out within the warranty. My daughter in law bought the same and the second better conked out - warranty runs out on 2/11!

The norm now seems to be becoming 14".
I wouldn't touch Acer with a barge pole. I am keeping my options limited. Dell, Sony, Lenovo. At the very last would be ASUS if no other option is there.

Battery going out is a big problem. I came across 6-7 HP laptops whose battery went out in a year or two. Just with regular usage, nothing extra ordinary done. And HP just raised their hand telling they are not responsible for battery damage. What a messy customer service.

Last edited by chevelle : 27th October 2010 at 12:28.
Old 27th October 2010, 12:59   #2623
Team-BHP Support

Unfortunately, till date I have only found ASUS shipping with 5730(which is actually a faster clocked 5650 with 2GB VRAM ) under 50K.
Sony VIAO with 5650 costs 51K
Old 27th October 2010, 16:48   #2624
Senior - BHPian

The Sony Viao with a 5650 comes to around 49k.

There is a DV6 around 47k offering the 5650.

Lenovo offers 5650, i7 at 58k.
Old 27th October 2010, 20:12   #2625
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
And a technical question: Is it ok if we put laptop upside down on floor or carpet? Will the LCD get affected? The reason i do is if i put it base down on carpet, due to processor running and fan running it will absorb dirt and misc things for carpet thereby causing problem. So is the upside down a good option? Please advice
It is better to put the laptop right side up on a small book. That will leave space for air circulation, and safeguard the LCD. Most laptops have a flimsy casing and the LCD may not be protected if kept upside down. My X61 has magnesium casing which protects the LCD against twists and shocks. A plastic/ABS casing may not be that protective.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks