Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th September 2010, 19:48   #2581
BHPian

Even I'm a Thinkpad user and I own a R61 since 2 years and I find it rock solid built. Even I was thinking in the same lines of getting a new Sony Z series because of its specs and yes you are right. No other machine of that size has a powerful specs as the Sony Z series. But even I have the same question if the machine would be as solid as the Lenovo Thinkpads?

I'm a big fan of the Linux operating system especially Ubuntu and I just know that there seems to be some issues with the graphics with Ubuntu on the Z series. Anyone here with Ubuntu installed on the Z series? Please share your experiences.
Old 1st October 2010, 12:07   #2582
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe1980 View Post
Even I'm a Thinkpad user and I own a R61 since 2 years and I find it rock solid built. Even I was thinking in the same lines of getting a new Sony Z series because of its specs and yes you are right. No other machine of that size has a powerful specs as the Sony Z series. But even I have the same question if the machine would be as solid as the Lenovo Thinkpads?

I'm a big fan of the Linux operating system especially Ubuntu and I just know that there seems to be some issues with the graphics with Ubuntu on the Z series. Anyone here with Ubuntu installed on the Z series? Please share your experiences.
I am also a Thinkpad user, though the X series. My sons had the T and R series. What I like about these is that the maintenance is excellent. Any problem any where in the world and you can get it repaired. Most Indian metros have a Lenovo service centre. You can extend the warranty service to five/six years for peace of mind. Extremely difficult with other vendors.

I feel that from the point of view of ruggedness and maintainability Thinkpads are still the best. Get a T series with the best screen you can afford. You can always add more RAM.
Old 2nd October 2010, 09:36   #2583
BHPian

Dell V/s Sony Viao

hi

looking to buy a 14 inch laptop for home use. Have shortlisted the following.

Sony VPCEA36FG/G (approx 55k & VPCEA35FG/L approx 48 k )
&

Dell
T540614IN8-Studio 14 New Laptop
DISPLAY 14” High Definition 720p WLED (1366x768) Display with TrueLife™

Getting 4 GB Ram in the dell with a slight configuration modification on line.
Approx price is Rs 51k with delivery charges extra.

How is the experience ordering online with dell. is the support good ??

Also do the above laptops support 5 ghz frequency as i have a dual frequency wifi router.
Old 2nd October 2010, 10:48   #2584
Senior - BHPian

Anyone looking for a decent medium-gaming rig can look at the Ideapad Y560, which comes in a shade under 60k.
A new DV6 featuring an ATI 5650 and an i3 comes in a shade under 50k. Great offerings both!
Just wish they were Dell. :P
Old 4th October 2010, 21:12   #2585
Senior - BHPian

Ordered a Dell Mini with 2GB RAM, 320GB HDD, Windows 7 Home and 2 year warranty and accident coverage for 25K.
Old 6th October 2010, 12:22   #2586
HSV
BHPian

Any vaio Z users here? Any experiences to share would be much appreciated.
Old 11th October 2010, 12:53   #2587
Senior - BHPian

I have decided to go for a multimedia laptop. The budget is 60k. It will be used for playing HD movies (mainly from my Sony HD camcorder), gaming, internet browsing and downloads. So, a good processor, RAM and graphics card is a must.

I am not sure whether Dell Studio is worth the premium. Insperion seems to be more value for money with a similar configuration. Dell seems to be the best in terms of customer support.

The configuration of Lenovo Ideapad 560 is impressive for the price. But not happy with the position of Ctrl key. There seems to be some display issues.

I do not change personal computers easily. I am using a 2003 P4 system with upgradation to RAM and hard disk. So, I would prefer to go for a resonably high end system with good reliability, upgradability and wont be obselete soon. The laptop will be used mainly at home - I do not want to replace the desktop as the current one is being assaulted by my kids and there is space constraint for two desktops at home.
Old 11th October 2010, 18:06   #2588
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceWins View Post
I have decided to go for a multimedia laptop. The budget is 60k. It will be used for playing HD movies (mainly from my Sony HD camcorder), gaming, internet browsing and downloads. So, a good processor, RAM and graphics card is a must.
Please do some research on the net before getting a high end configuration. My sons had Graphics card associated problems with HP, Apple and older Sony Vio. These problems are known and well aired in the forums.

In case you will be watching HD movies, please ensure that your screen can display HD (1920x1080) and the processor is powerful enough to play some encoded movies. I have had problems with a lot of movies; downloaded in .mkv format; on laptops, but none on my desktop (which showed 60% CPU once in a while on my 2x4 core Xeon), those movies stopped on HP and Vio.
Old 11th October 2010, 19:16   #2589
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amidoc View Post
hi

looking to buy a 14 inch laptop for home use. Have shortlisted the following.

Sony VPCEA36FG/G (approx 55k & VPCEA35FG/L approx 48 k )
&

Dell
T540614IN8-Studio 14 New Laptop
DISPLAY 14” High Definition 720p WLED (1366x768) Display with TrueLife™

Getting 4 GB Ram in the dell with a slight configuration modification on line.
Approx price is Rs 51k with delivery charges extra.

How is the experience ordering online with dell. is the support good ??

Also do the above laptops support 5 ghz frequency as i have a dual frequency wifi router.
Get in touch with Dell Customer Helpline. You can get Tax waivers, Corporate Discounts, Freebies etc., which dealer doesn't pass on generally.
Old 11th October 2010, 19:35   #2590
Senior - BHPian

I used a Lenovo Y560 extensively this past week. Very very powerful machine. I only ran Fifa 10 on full specs without any strain on the system. i7 and ATI 5730HD make for an excellent gaming machine.
The downside would be the display, which is not 1080p.
Old 13th October 2010, 09:16   #2591
BHPian

I want to buy the Ultimate Gaming Laptop sold in India.

Can someone suggest some good options ?

I want it to be really High - End so I do not have to change it soon. It should be able to play all the Latest Games which are launched.
Old 13th October 2010, 10:21   #2592
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supercars View Post

I want it to be really High - End so I do not have to change it soon. It should be able to play all the Latest Games which are launched.
Alienware is ultimate gaming machine. Dell has taken them over. Talk to Dell and they will tell you what is available. Alienware Gaming Laptops | Dell India | Dell India
Old 13th October 2010, 10:31   #2593
Senior - BHPian

I saw this Acer Laptop Model Number - Aspire 9843G at PcWorld UK. The specs are quite honestly out of this world. Unbelievable !

Intel i7, 16 GB Ram, 640 GB x 2 HD, Blu Ray RW, 18.4'', Mini woofer, Dolby, 8 Cell, Designer Shell, ATI 1 GB, All the Softwares you could imagine and no trials !!

Its for about 1.4 Lacs BUT they say it will come down by Christmas to 1 lac !!

I have no plans of buying it BUT jut thought I'd share this here. Makes the Alienware look like a netbook
Old 13th October 2010, 12:12   #2594
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the suggestion guys. I have decided to go for Insperion 15R with the possible high end configurations available. I could not resist the value for money Insperion was providing compared to Studio. I have decided to go for dell as the after sales service seems to be good.

i5-460M, 500 GB storage, 4 GB RAM, 1 GB graphics card and 3 years complete warranty.

The customer care representative says there is no Full HD option available in Studio as well.
Old 13th October 2010, 12:35   #2595
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supercars View Post

ASUSTeK Computer Inc. - Notebooks - ASUS G73Jh

It kills in real world performance. Do invest in a good quality cooling pad!

As already suggested, Alienware is of course a great option.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks