Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th October 2010, 20:21   #2596
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo View Post
Ordered a Dell Mini with 2GB RAM, 320GB HDD, Windows 7 Home and 2 year warranty and accident coverage for 25K.
Got my Mini well ahead of the scheduled date. Working fine. The battery doesnt seems to drain at all. Maybe since its new.

I need a hard case of the mini, any suggestions. I already have the soft sleeve from targus. Any hardcase options? I have the caselogic case for my external HDD.
Old 15th October 2010, 08:46   #2597
BHPian

Need help regarding Extended Warranty ...yes or no

My one year old Lenovo lappy is coming to the warranty end next week. I took it to the dealer for extended warranty and he said it will cost around 5500/- for two years. Is it really worth that price..since I bought my laptop for 35k. Is the dealer trying to rip me.

I use the laptop just for the usual office stuff (word, excel, acrobat reader). No hard gaming, no movies, little bit music.

Should I part with 5500/- for 2 years extended warranty since I faced no problem in the first year.

Need urgent help from you gurus.

Thanks,
Chipz
Old 15th October 2010, 11:13   #2598
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipz View Post
My one year old Lenovo lappy is coming to the warranty end next week. I took it to the dealer for extended warranty and he said it will cost around 5500/- for two years. Is it really worth that price..since I bought my laptop for 35k. Is the dealer trying to rip me.

I use the laptop just for the usual office stuff (word, excel, acrobat reader). No hard gaming, no movies, little bit music.

Should I part with 5500/- for 2 years extended warranty since I faced no problem in the first year.

Thanks,
Chipz
Is it a Thinkpad or Ideapad?
If you plan to keep your laptop for two more years, the money spent on warranty, if nothing else will give a peace of mind. Just changing the display will cost you any where between 12K and 25k!. The rates are ThinkPad T61 laptops, Thinkpad adapters, Thinkpad batteries, Lenovo batteries, Lenovo adapters

The same site also sell Lenovo parts, I have got Battery for my X60 from them, and they were cheaper than the market!
Old 15th October 2010, 11:48   #2599
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo View Post
Got my Mini well ahead of the scheduled date. Working fine. The battery doesnt seems to drain at all. Maybe since its new.

I need a hard case of the mini, any suggestions. I already have the soft sleeve from targus. Any hardcase options? I have the caselogic case for my external HDD.
How much did the Mini cost you?

Here is some hard case cover for you. Not sure if they ship to India or not.

Amazon.com: mCover® Clear Hard Shell Cover Case for Dell Mini 10 / 10v Netbook: Electronics

Amazon.com: Acer Aspire one & Dell Inspiron Mini 9 BLUE Hard BRIEF Carrying POUCH CASE Cover Sleeve: Electronics

Amazon.com: Stylish, Hard Shell Carrying Case for Dell Inspiron Mini 8.9" and 10.1" Series Netbooks ***Includes Memory Card Reader***: Electronics

Similar ones on ebay where chances of worldwide shipping are more.

hard case for dell mini items - Get great deals on Computers Networking items on eBay.com!

hope this helps.
Old 15th October 2010, 18:44   #2600
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipz View Post

Thanks,
Chipz
My 3 year old Out of warranty Thinkpad T60 died on me unexpectedly last month. First the battery gave up and then the system refused to boot.
Took it to the service station, they said the motherboard had gone kaput.
Total estimate a little over 30K, including battery. Somehow he was able to get the laptop up long enough to allow me to take a backup of the data.

Bought a new Vaio instead of getting it repaired.

Never had a Thinkpad die on me before, but this one was a Lenovo TP not the good old IBM TP which could last forever.

A warranty for 5500 would save you unexpected costs and headache if something happens.
Old 18th October 2010, 21:02   #2601
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
How much did the Mini cost you?

Here is some hard case cover for you. Not sure if they ship to India or not.
Thanks. I got the Mini for 25K with 2 year full coverage. I got the Belkin Mini case. Not exactly a hard case, but offer decent protection and can hold a mouse/CDs.
Old 21st October 2010, 09:59   #2602
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceWins View Post
Thanks for the suggestion guys. I have decided to go for Insperion 15R with the possible high end configurations available. I could not resist the value for money Insperion was providing compared to Studio. I have decided to go for dell as the after sales service seems to be good.

i5-460M, 500 GB storage, 4 GB RAM, 1 GB graphics card and 3 years complete warranty.

The customer care representative says there is no Full HD option available in Studio as well.
I received the laptop in 5 days though the estmate was close to 10 days. I am very happy with the sales experience with Dell.

The laptop performance is good.
The build quality is decent for the price, not anywhere close to Dell Latitude D620 which I use for official purpose.
The image quality is great compared to the same laptop without a dedicated graphics card.
The sound quality is good with enough bass and treble, but the maximum volume is very less. This seems to be a common issue on the internet. I could improve it a little by following the recommendations available on internet.
The seperate number pad is useful, but it has compromised the space available for function keys.
The design is simple and the ergonomics is good. It's heavier than my Latitude, but I do not mind as I will be mostly using it at home.
I played FIFA by lowering the resolution. The clarity is still good and there were no performance issue. It is too early to say how good the gaming capability is.

I tried to create a recovery disk, but it failed in the middle. I am not sure whether I closed it by mistake as I was multi-tasking.

Overall, I am very happy with the laptop. Hope the customer service will live up to the expectation if I face any issue.

Last edited by PatienceWins : 21st October 2010 at 10:01.
Old 21st October 2010, 11:30   #2603
Senior - BHPian

I recently bought a Sony vaio. Just as I am enjoying my new machine I woke up to a bitter truth that my a/c adaptor does not work anymore. I do not know the reason why! Is this covered under warranty? I see that the adapters are covered under warranty, but I am not sure why my adapter fused off and am a bit concerned. Kindly help!
Old 21st October 2010, 12:04   #2604
Team-BHP Support

Guys, needed your help with my query here.

I am using a Thinkpad T61 laptop which has this peculiar habit that the wireless switches off on it own after some time. It's not a question of the network being erratic, but the wireless hardware switching off.

Doing a Repair of the wireless connection turns it on back again, and all is well, till this happens later again.

I believe this is some sort of a power saving feature, but my set of checks failed to turn up a proper solution/fix.

Anyone else had a similar issue?
Old 21st October 2010, 12:11   #2605
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Guys, needed your help with my query here.

I am using a Thinkpad T61 laptop which has this peculiar habit that the wireless switches off on it own after some time. It's not a question of the network being erratic, but the wireless hardware switching off.

Doing a Repair of the wireless connection turns it on back again, and all is well, till this happens later again.

I believe this is some sort of a power saving feature, but my set of checks failed to turn up a proper solution/fix.

Anyone else had a similar issue?
Are you using Windows 7?
Old 21st October 2010, 12:14   #2606
Senior - BHPian

I have seen this happen in two cases, either there is some issue with driver or wireless card is on its way out.

Try booting the laptop with Ubuntu CD and leave it on for night. See if wireless is okay at morning. If it works, then only issue is driver. Easy to resolve.

If that does not work, culprit is wireless card. A mini pcie WiFi card for thinkpad costs 2k to 6k depending on from where you are buying it. Part number is : 40Y7026
Old 21st October 2010, 13:40   #2607
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by prateekm View Post
Are you using Windows 7?
Nopes. Windows XP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
I have seen this happen in two cases, either there is some issue with driver or wireless card is on its way out.
I am not too sure if this is the reason, going by what's mentioned in the links below:
http://forum.notebookreview.com/leno...tself-why.html

Scott Hanselman - IBM Laptop Wireless Adapter Turns Off Automatically Without Asking

Seems to be a change in setting which was brought about by some update. Not sure, though.
Old 21st October 2010, 13:50   #2608
Senior - BHPian

Booting from Ubuntu CD would confirm that. It does not use ANY setting or river from the system, so if Wireless works fine with boot CD that rules out any hardware issue.
Old 22nd October 2010, 11:41   #2609
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
I have X61 now and an X40 in past and my wife has an old R40. A couple of reasons that come to my mind
1. The antenna is in the lid, and at time it may loose contact, when the strength is less than 50%. This is more of a software problem, and should be rectified by installing the latest driver. Check the signal strength when it disconnects.
2. In my Thinkpad there is a hardware switch, near the latch. Sometimes if the switch is loose it may switch all radios off intermittently. Move the switch in on/off cycle five or six times to reestablish firm contact.
3. As you have said, it may be that the wireless goes to sleep. I have not found this feature in my Thinkpads.

If everything fails, do what we do regularly. Reinstall the OS from IBM Service partition. Make it a fresh install. (Of course after saving all your data). After install connect to IBM and download/install latest drivers. Then if you are using windows, use Microsoft update to get the latest patches. I religiously carry out this exercise at least once in six/eight months. That keeps all my computers clean with latest drivers, and at the same time gets rid of all the junk I have installed/tried but do not need.
Old 26th October 2010, 09:25   #2610
Senior - BHPian

Urgent Help needed

Guys, Need your opinion on these processors for Netbooks. Which is better buy.

AMD Athlon Neo MV-40 1.6 GHZ vs Intel Atom N450 (1.66 GHz),

In term of other specs, The Thinkpad x100e which has the Neo will have 2GB, 250GB, LED, Webcam, 802.11b/g/n, Bluetooth, Windows 7 Starter and AMD ATI Radeon HD 3200 while any N450 based netbook that is Sony, HP, ASUS will have 1GB, 250GB, LED, Intel GMA 3150, Webcam, 802.11b/g/n, Bluetooth, Windows 7 Starter.

The NEO notebook is 11.1 inch and cost $90 more in comparison to N450 which is 10.1 inch.

Usage: Browsing, Youtube videos, Movies (dvd-rip max), audio through WMP, Normal task like running office and likes.

Please advice which is a better buy. I need to decide asap.

Thank You

Last edited by chevelle : 26th October 2010 at 09:26.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks