Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st December 2010, 08:21   #2671
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe1980 View Post
I just checked the price for the same configuration in US, India and I did not find any major differences with India being more expensive and US being a bit cheaper (not a great difference though). Even I saw some T410 for 1400 Euros with more or less the same configuration that I bought my T410s for. But this time around I needed a rugged light weight machine and that is why I did not bother pay this much. I have been saving for months for this. Counting on the reliability of my R61, I hope that for the next 5 years the T410s would perform without any problems and if it did, then it was worth the money that I paid.

And yes you are right, electronics generally here in Germany seem to be expensive when compared to the USA.
the same config as yours cost $1229. Haven't factored in the discounts one get which would be around $100-$200 depending on when you buy it. I won't pay double the price you paid in Germany. That's day light robbery. And since it has 14.1 inch, env fee here is just $4 and tax $100. Its still a saving of $1100 atleast. I can have another T410s for the same amount.

Anyways, i am not justifying that you made a blunder of purchase by paying double the price. I am just wondering why so horribly expensive Germany is. Is it bcoz of tax, components being imported or what?

For me, reliability is over rated.
Old 1st December 2010, 09:06   #2672
Senior - BHPian

FYI,

Check if laptops you buy has good volume output. I overheard a customer complaining about Dell Vostro which has very low volume output ( it has just a mono speaker).
Old 1st December 2010, 09:20   #2673
Senior - BHPian

I have a Compaq presario laptop which I had purchased in 2005. The processor is Celeron and the laptop has 256MB SD RAM and 40GB HD. I had got the laptop basically for Internet purpose and it had solved the need at that time.

But now since I have a co laptop, I am no longer using the personal one. Need some advise as to

1) How can I revive the laptop - its still working but damn slow. Can the SDRAM be upgraded and if so to what capacity & the cost? Can the graphics memory be upgraded? Do I need to upgrade the HD since I woulod be using the laptop for downloaded movies viewing? Would be still using solely for Internet purpose only but now by wife.

2) Should I dump this laptop & go for a new one which is going to set me back easily by 30K atleast.

Expert BHPians kindly advise.
Old 1st December 2010, 09:37   #2674
Team-BHP Support

I got a super lucky deal this Black Friday.
HP G62-340US 15.6 inch AMD VISION Laptop : Laptops | RadioShack.com

I paid 350$ plus taxes.

My advice is that if you are in the US and doing Black Friday shopping goto Radio Shack rather than places like Walmart or Best Buy.

Black Friday at Radio shack lasted all of 15 minutes. It opened at 5:30. I was there at 5:10 and was the first person. By 6AM the sale was over.
Old 1st December 2010, 11:29   #2675
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe1980 View Post
And yes you are right, electronics generally here in Germany seem to be expensive when compared to the USA.
If I am not wrong there is a 19% VAT in EU.
In India there is a customs duty. Further Indian configuration for a high end Laptop like the "T" and "X" series come with a 3 year International warranty and the laptop bag, while the US products normally come with a 1 year US warranty and no bag. Once you factor these in, the price difference between US and India is minimal.

In Nehru Place in Delhi, my dealer gives a good discount on all Laptops, which is any where between 5% and 15%. He claims that he sources them directly from the distributors, and as he keeps no stock he has no overheads!
Old 1st December 2010, 12:07   #2676
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
In Nehru Place in Delhi, my dealer gives a good discount on all Laptops, which is any where between 5% and 15%. He claims that he sources them directly from the distributors, and as he keeps no stock he has no overheads!
@Aroy,
I am on the verge of purchasing a new notebook. Would you consider sharing your dealers contact details either here on the thread or via pm. Thankyou.
Old 1st December 2010, 12:31   #2677
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
the same config as yours cost $1229. Haven't factored in the discounts one get which would be around $100-$200 depending on when you buy it. I won't pay double the price you paid in Germany. That's day light robbery. And since it has 14.1 inch, env fee here is just $4 and tax $100. Its still a saving of $1100 atleast. I can have another T410s for the same amount.

Anyways, i am not justifying that you made a blunder of purchase by paying double the price. I am just wondering why so horribly expensive Germany is. Is it bcoz of tax, components being imported or what?

For me, reliability is over rated.
I checked with many websites like deals2buy, bestbuy and so on. I did find a difference of 500 euros more that I pay extra when I buy that here in Germany. Even if I buy it from the USA and import it here to Germany, then I have to pay an import tax of 19% of the purchase price which would cost me the same money that I paid now.

I'm not sure about the prices in India but when I checked in the websites, it seemed more than the price here.
Old 1st December 2010, 19:53   #2678
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
I got a super lucky deal this Black Friday.
HP G62-340US 15.6 inch AMD VISION Laptop : Laptops | RadioShack.com

I paid 350$ plus taxes.

My advice is that if you are in the US and doing Black Friday shopping goto Radio Shack rather than places like Walmart or Best Buy.

Black Friday at Radio shack lasted all of 15 minutes. It opened at 5:30. I was there at 5:10 and was the first person. By 6AM the sale was over.
Lucky you, i got a Vostro 1014 for $400 with tax and env fee. Specs include C2D processor, 3GB RAM, 250GB HDD and the works.

I missed the Sony 15.5 inch laptop with dual core processor, 4gb RAM and 320 gb hdd for $400. Was sold out before i could lay my hands on. So had to go for 1014.
Old 2nd December 2010, 10:41   #2679
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
@Aroy,
I am on the verge of purchasing a new notebook. Would you consider sharing your dealers contact details either here on the thread or via pm. Thankyou.
No problem.
Nikhil, Sonal Infotech. The shop is on first floor next to the building where the Microsoft office used to be. There is ICICI bank on the ground floor. The only problem with him is that you have to visit him personally and spend a lot of time there.
Old 5th December 2010, 21:55   #2680
BHPian

Anybody playing with the shell?

Anybody playing with the Stock Shell of the OSes?

I once had Black XP (was like customized & bit faster too, I think..) on my laptop.
It had many of my drivers as defaults! (slip streamed I guess)
Apart from that, I did not find any such Customized OS either.

I also used Desktop X (long back.), but it made my Laptop buggy!
Also, Aston shell, liteshell.
the inspirat packs often look good, but lead to very crash-prone system.

I really wanted some cool UI!
something like the matrix! (?)
or like the Knight Rider (Station PCs have them)

Any body experimented on that?

Currently Using TuneUp Utilities (styler is good!)
Care,

Ace.
Old 6th December 2010, 06:52   #2681
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

The hinge of Vostro 1500 is broken, is it possible to get LCD Back Panel for that in India? Is it still in production there or is this notebook supported?

I am in two minds if i should bring it to India and get it fixed there or pay $110 and get it done here.

please advice. thanks
Old 6th December 2010, 14:24   #2682
Senior - BHPian

Got an Asus Lamborghini VX6. I am loving it.
Old 6th December 2010, 17:32   #2683
Senior - BHPian

Guys! hows AMD II Neo KXXX series?
Old 6th December 2010, 17:41   #2684
Senior - BHPian

Over 2 months back I've picked up a Dell studio XPS 16, i7 740, 8GB, 500GB, 1GB ATI, 16" RGBLED for a respectable price. The upgrade to i7 840 was 20K, so ditched it.
Old 6th December 2010, 19:49   #2685
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84 View Post
Got an Asus Lamborghini VX6. I am loving it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
Over 2 months back I've picked up a Dell studio XPS 16, i7 740, 8GB, 500GB, 1GB ATI, 16" RGBLED for a respectable price. The
upgrade to i7 840 was 20K, so ditched it.
Eh? this is a laptop thread, dont post stuff about car & desktop

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks