Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 16th February 2012, 14:58   #3421
J.Ravi

re: THE Laptop Thread: Configs, deals and questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
The trend today is to move away from Desktop to a Laptop, so I am wondering why do you need a desktop.
I wish to have one desktop at home to which my printer and scanner could be connected all the time notwithstanding the fact that everybody in my family has a laptop.

Old 17th February 2012, 00:56   #3422
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
I wish to have one desktop at home to which my printer and scanner could be connected all the time notwithstanding the fact that everybody in my family has a laptop.
Have you considered other solutions, such as getting a DSL router that can act as a printer server? The router would have a USB port that supports most popular printers. An alternative would be a print 'server' (essentially something just as small as a router but dedicated to provide print services). The advantage of both these approaches is that you don't have to connect wires to your laptops to print.

An alternative would be to use a netbook - they have Atom processors and are much more energy efficient. And, Apple has a Mac Mini that they claim is extremely energy efficient.
k_nitin_r is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2012, 08:37   #3423
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_nitin_r View Post
Have you considered other solutions, such as getting a DSL router that can act as a printer server?
Thanks a lot, k_nitin_r. I have BSNL BB with Nokia Siemens Networks wireless router to which all our laptops are linked. I shall explore that option after getting a new printer.

Old 17th February 2012, 13:06   #3424
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
@J.Ravi: If your only requirement is to connect the printer and scanner and if you don't own the printer/ scanner so far, instead of buying a desktop for 60K, you might as well buy a printer- scanner-copier which supports wifi and will work with your existing wifi router. This should cost around 6K.
e.g. PIXMA MG3170 - Canon India - Personal
S_U_N is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2012, 13:11   #3425
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
If your only requirement is to connect the printer and scanner and if you don't own the printer/ scanner so far, instead of buying a desktop for 60K, you might as well buy a printer- scanner-copier which supports wifi and will work with your existing wifi router.
Thanks, S_U_N. That's a good suggestion. I shall decide in a coupla days.

Old 17th February 2012, 15:19   #3426
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikash49 View Post
Picked up a new Laptop to replace my old workhorse...

New Lenovo Z370 Notebook:
Intel 2nd Gen Core i5 2450M @ 2.5Ghz
4GB DDR3 1333
13.3" HD LED Monitor
750GB HDD 5400rpm
Intel HD Graphics
Genuine Windows 7 Home Basic 64bit

+ Good Balance between portability and Screen Real Estate
+ 1.99 Kgs with 5+ hrs Battery Backup
+ Reasonably Value Price @ 38.5k
+ Special 1+2yr Free Extended warranty Offer
+ Genuine Windows 7 64bit

Ran it through the Adobe Photoshop CS4 / CS5 - Retouch Artist Speed Test
Time taken to complete the Retouch Artist Speed Test: 19.8 secs

BTW, my old laptop had earlier completed the same test in 51 secs

Old HP Notebook:
Intel Core 2 Duo T6500 2.1Ghz
4GB DDR2 800
15.6" LCD Monitor
320GB HDD 5400rpm
nvidia 8200m 512MB
Windows XP Home Premium
Not surprising, if you reformat your old laptop and isntall just the OS and do this experiment, it would probably do it in half the previous time.
Old 24th February 2012, 07:29   #3427
Senior - BHPian

Samsung Launches New range of Ultrabooks

Ultrabook market hots up with Samsung's entry

Quote:
Competition in the ultrabook segment intensified with Samsung Electronics launching its Series 5 Ultra notebooks in the country.

The devices are available in 13-inch and 14-inch screen sizes, at Rs 48,990 and Rs 54,390, respectively.

The 14-inch model delivers up to 1TB of storage capacity and the 13 inch model, up to 500 GB storage. Samsung Series 5 Ultra delivers up to 6.4 hours of battery life on a single charge with an anti-aging battery technology which keeps 80 per cent of the cell's original capacity lasting up to 15, 00 charging cycles per three years. The product would be available in 500-600 Samsung outlets pan India.

“The Indian notebook market is 6-6.5 million units, of which we aim to claim 12 per cent share by this year end,” said Mr Ranjit Yadav, Country Head- Samsung Mobile & IT.

The company had cornered 8 per cent market share of notebook PC market in 2011, which was their key growth engine for the year.

“The target customer for this product is 20-40 year old mobile-professional who can be an office worker or a student and a trendsetter,” added Mr Yadav.
Source Business Line : Industry & Economy / Info-tech : Ultrabook market hots up with Samsung's entry

Anybody using the new Ultrabook? How do you pit them against traditional Laptops? Is this the right time to buy one? Or should we wait till other PC majors come up with their Ultrabook launches?

Mods: IMO, Ultrabooks are soon gonna be the future of mobile computing and the recent launches in the Ultrabook book segment is a major development in the PC Industry in India. Hence starting a dedicated thread. Please feel free to merge with the existing *THE Laptop thread* if necessary.

Last edited by Warwithwheels : 24th February 2012 at 07:32.
Old 25th February 2012, 09:51   #3428
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamal View Post
Picked up a Toshiba Satellite Laptop C640-X4012 from Flipkart for 28,870.............lets see how it works out, in the long run.
Hello Kamal, sgiitk,
Even I am inclined towards this Toshiba model considering the price point. Pl. share a quick review of the niggles/faults on this one. I read a feedback somewhere about misalignment of the screen flap when it is closed & abnormal gaps around and some processor issues & hence discontinued in the US. What are your first hand findings on this model?
Thanks
Old 25th February 2012, 17:37   #3429
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by null View Post
Hello Kamal, sgiitk,
Even I am inclined towards this Toshiba model considering the price point. Pl. share a quick review of the niggles/faults on this one. I read a feedback somewhere about misalignment of the screen flap when it is closed & abnormal gaps around and some processor issues & hence discontinued in the US. What are your first hand findings on this model?
Thanks
Its a abs fine laptop- no issues at all.
That flap misalignment may have been a one off thing with that particular piece.
And the processor is a current one , found in many makes using 2nd Gen i5
processor.
Unless you're into heavy gaming,this laptop with the i5 & 4 gb ddr3 1333 ram would be future proof for a few years at least.
A great all round bargain- I have no complaints at all.
Highly recommended, also flipkart as a vendor-awesome service.
Btw, do consider picking up a mouse also-Logitech recommended- makes life much easier!

Last edited by Kamal : 25th February 2012 at 18:02. Reason: Addition
Old 26th February 2012, 13:28   #3430
BHPian

Re: 720p vs 1080p on a 15.6" laptop screen?

I have ordered a 'Dell XPS 15' laptop with 1366x768 resolution display. Would this resolution suffice for a 15.6" laptop or should i have gone for 1920x1080 resolution? I heard texts would be pretty small on the higher resolution screen. Are there any other downsides for a higher resolution screen?

Please let me know the pros n cons of a 720p vs 1080p on a 15.6" screen laptop?

Old 26th February 2012, 14:07   #3431
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru
I have ordered a 'Dell XPS 15' laptop with 1366x768 resolution display. Would this resolution suffice for a 15.6" laptop or should i have gone for 1920x1080 resolution? I heard texts would be pretty small on the higher resolution screen. Are there any other downsides for a higher resolution screen?

Please let me know the pros n cons of a 720p vs 1080p on a 15.6" screen laptop?

The *ten eighty p* screen is just amazing. You should see it to believe it. I did a side by side comparo of the two screens in a dell outlet when I was contemplating to buy a notebook. And the difference is *huge*.

The higher resolution screen is leaps ahead in terms of colour reproduction and image sharpness. A bit of Googling the previous pages of this thread would help you vouch my statement.

But when I last checked the dell India website, the 1080p screen was no longer available even as an add on. Are you sure Dell still makes it? If you not buying through dell.co.in please make sure the retailer doesn't trick you.

PS: I don't see any downside in opting the 1080p unit. Even if you feel that the text size is smaller, you can always switch to a lower resolution or magnify your text. If you have a chance to modify your order... I would advice you to get it done.

Last edited by Warwithwheels : 26th February 2012 at 14:13.
Warwithwheels is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2012, 17:10   #3432
BHPian

Anyone own a Dell XPS 15 laptop?
I wanted to know a little about the quality of this laptop, problems etc. Is paying more than 65k for a well configured dell worth it? Or should I opt for Sony instead?

Here are my requirements.
1. 4GB or more of RAM
2. 500GB or more HDD
3. Windows.
4. HD Screen
5. 15 odd inches screen.
6. 2nd Gen core i5 or i7 (2.5Ghz or more)

Last edited by DeKay : 26th February 2012 at 17:12.
Old 26th February 2012, 17:26   #3433
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeKay View Post
Anyone own a Dell XPS 15 laptop?
I wanted to know a little about the quality of this laptop, problems etc. Is paying more than 65k for a well configured dell worth it? Or should I opt for Sony instead?

Here are my requirements.
1. 4GB or more of RAM
2. 500GB or more HDD
3. Windows.
4. HD Screen
5. 15 odd inches screen.
6. 2nd Gen core i5 or i7 (2.5Ghz or more)
What are you going to use it for?
Old 26th February 2012, 17:51   #3434
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
What are you going to use it for?
General activities (Surfing, downloading, work)
Watching Movies
Photo Editing
Old 27th February 2012, 07:06   #3435
BHPian

Re:720p vs 1080p on a XPS 15.6" laptop screen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warwithwheels View Post
The *ten eighty p* screen is just amazing. You should see it to believe it. I did a side by side comparo of the two screens in a dell outlet when I was contemplating to buy a notebook. And the difference is *huge*.

The higher resolution screen is leaps ahead in terms of colour reproduction and image sharpness. A bit of Googling the previous pages of this thread would help you vouch my statement.

But when I last checked the dell India website, the 1080p screen was no longer available even as an add on. Are you sure Dell still makes it? If you not buying through dell.co.in please make sure the retailer doesn't trick you.

PS: I don't see any downside in opting the 1080p unit. Even if you feel that the text size is smaller, you can always switch to a lower resolution or magnify your text. If you have a chance to modify your order... I would advice you to get it done.
Even then, they say that it would not be as good as seeing the text on the native resolution of say 720p. Will 1366x768 resolution be so bad, that one could not have it on a XPS 15" machine? Will this be equal to or better than my 1280x800 resolution Inspiron 6000 machine(Have used this for almost 6 years now)? Any users of a XPS 15 machine with 1366x768 resolution, here?

Also, how would low resolution videos play out on a 1080p laptop?

I can cancel or modify my order in next 24 hours.

Last edited by JMaruru : 27th February 2012 at 07:08.

Most Viewed