Ordered a Dell XPS 15 today
with the following goodies

Core i7 2670QM processor
8GB RAM
Full HD screen
750GB HDD
2GB Nvidia GT540M

now the wait begins.
If it may help, I got a Dell XPS 15 in Sep 2011. My cheque was cleared on 12.9.11, tracked order on site, and got delivery at home on Friday 15.9.11 at 1 PM. That was the time when 2670/2760 were launched, and fortunately for me on that day, there was no difference in the online price on that day (is perhaps 7.4K now).

So my Dell ordered config was i7 2760qm, 6gm ram, full hd, 750 GB 7200 rpm HDD (same as above), 1GB GT525M. This cost me 61K then. In late Oct 2011, I upgraded from 6GB RAM to 8GB by swapping out a 2GB stick for a new 4GB stick. That added another 1.8K. My mistake was in not going for 8GB in the first place.

Delivery was a lot earlier than scheduled and right on the weekend. On Sat 16.9.11, I cleared out all the preloaded stuff, deleted all partitions, made new partitions, and reinstalled windows. If you prefer to do that, just do not activate for the first 1-2 times (driver order issues: found that this priority works best: Intel chipset, RST, MEI, HD3000 graphics, Nvidia, jmicron, renesas (needed for operating mouse and usb), LAN, Intel Centrino Wireless, realtek audio, stm, synaptics, dell quickset). Drivers are all on the Dell website, but perhaps you can talk to Dell support about the essentials. Quite easy to configure after deleting everything. Of course one loses F8 recovery but I am cool with not wanting that old crap image when one can easily get free acronis for seagate/wd hard disks. That enables me to backup after full system build, recover that image on a fortnightly basis, update everything and then backup the updated image.

Dell does not frequently update drivers. For example, Intel RST is at 10.8, Nvidia at 285.; Intel HD3000 drivers are also updated frequently but Dell gives perhaps March 2011drivers. For HD3000 graphics drivers, I could not install drivers from Intel website. Nvidia on Dell is 268.., but I am onto 280.26 (second latest). Same for renesas USB controller.

Last edited by vasudeva : 23rd November 2011 at 11:46.
vasudeva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2011, 12:31   #3317
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva
.......That was the time when 2670/2760 were launched, and fortunately for me on that day, there was no difference in the online price on that day (is perhaps 7.4K now)
That's a steal. Lucky you!!

PS: I just realized the price difference for the 2760QM version is indeed 7.4K

Last edited by Warwithwheels : 23rd November 2011 at 12:46.
Old 23rd November 2011, 12:44   #3318
Senior - BHPian

re: THE Laptop Thread: Configs, deals and questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warwithwheels View Post
I generated an online quote in august when the older spec processors were being sold.

However I put off my purchase in august and regenerated a quote late october. This time my spec sheet had the upgraded processor in it. However the price quoted was the same and it still remains the same as well. The 7.4k difference could be for 3.50Ghz version i guess.
The 7.4K difference is for 2760qm over 2670qm. The 3.5Ghz you are referring is not the stock clock (2.4 GHz for 2760 qm and 2.2 GHz for 2670qm) but with turbo-boost for 2760qm. Above 2760qm is the 2860qm which has the stock of 2.5 Ghz but is priced at 20K more than 2670qm.
vasudeva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2011, 14:20   #3319
BHPian

Sorry for posting this in the wrong thread. But need some solution by evening.

Guys. I want a wireless router for my unlimited 2MBPS Airtel connection. Office has provided my better half with a laptop and a BB, so have to share my connection.

This will be my first wireless router so pardon me if you find some of the following questions a bit noobish.

1. It's required for a 1000 sqft house. And it needs to cut through the walls.
2. Need to retain the direct line to my PC and share via this router.
3. Net to be shared with 2 mobile phones and a laptop.
4. I've heard it affects downloading from torrents. So whatever router it is, it should be torrent-friendly.
5. I don't want my better-half to hog all the bandwidth. So is there any way where I can share say 30kbps of 45 kbps of my bandwidth.
6. Am not looking to invest a lot in it, so give me a cheap, reliable option. (2 of her office colleagues told her to get this: Flipkart: Netgear Wireless-N 150 Router: Router and my yo yo bro from US tells me to get either this: Flipkart: Asus RT-N12: Router or this Flipkart: Cisco Linksys Wireless-N Router: Router )

What do you guys suggest?

Lagging gameplay days are near! :"(by

Last edited by creative420 : 23rd November 2011 at 14:22. Reason: Spelling correction
Old 23rd November 2011, 14:40   #3320
Senior - BHPian

Same problem as mine when I got a new laptop. Got a Netgear N-300 router for around 2K. N-150 is supposed to be fine but range may be better on N-300. There are definitely better solutions, but N-150/N-300 are decent enough for 3-4 connections. Just check. I have a Tata Indicom WIMAX and the desktop is thru LAN and laptop/mobile etc on wifi router.

Points 1 to 3 are identical issues to mine and so far in one month have not faced any problem.
As to torrents, that is also not a issue. In fact, when I go out for an outing, I let the torrents from laptop rather than desktop, simply because if there is a power outage, I do not want my desktop/UPS to shut down involuntarily. We have a power backup in our apartment complex, but sometimes that can take 3-5 mins. With torrents on laptop, I get 2-3 hrs on battery (if power does not come on).
Old 23rd November 2011, 14:48   #3321
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva View Post
Same problem as mine when I got a new laptop. Got a Netgear N-300 router for around 2K. N-150 is supposed to be fine but range may be better on N-300. There are definitely better solutions, but N-150/N-300 are decent enough for 3-4 connections. Just check. I have a Tata Indicom WIMAX and the desktop is thru LAN and laptop/mobile etc on wifi router.

Points 1 to 3 are identical issues to mine and so far in one month have not faced any problem.
As to torrents, that is also not a issue. In fact, when I go out for an outing, I let the torrents from laptop rather than desktop, simply because if there is a power outage, I do not want my desktop/UPS to shut down involuntarily. We have a power backup in our apartment complex, but sometimes that can take 3-5 mins. With torrents on laptop, I get 2-3 hrs on battery (if power does not come on).
What is the difference between 150 and 300 in these two, if you just want to browse? There's a difference of 700 between these two. Netgear 150 for 1.3k and Netgear 300 for 2k.
Old 23rd November 2011, 15:20   #3322
Senior - BHPian

Check Asus RT-N13U it has a USB port where you can plug in a USB HDD and also has a bittorrent client so no need to keep Laptop / Desktop on for torrents.

Also check DD-WRT ( www.dd-wrt.com | Unleash Your Router) for custom firmware for routers.
Old 23rd November 2011, 15:56   #3323
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Check Asus RT-N13U it has a USB port where you can plug in a USB HDD and also has a bittorrent client so no need to keep Laptop / Desktop on for torrents.

Also check DD-WRT ( www.dd-wrt.com | Unleash Your Router) for custom firmware for routers.
Looks damn good. But li'l bit expensive. Plus, I'm not a real serial downloader. So looking for a real basic, yet a reliable router.
Old 27th November 2011, 18:59   #3324
Senior - BHPian

Guys, i currently have a Sony Vaio VPCCW16FG and i'm really pissed off with its (non)reliability.
I've had the LCD screen, CPU fan, motherboard all replaced under warranty. I spent 55k when i bought it and then another 5k on extended warranty for a completely unreliable laptop. My 7 yr old Compaq serves me much better than this.

So i'm thinking of going the Dell way. Is it better in terms of reliability than Sony ? How's the service ? Sony is very good when it comes to honoring warranty claims, how's it with Dell ? Also, does it make sense to buy one in Dubai than in India ? My parentts are travelling so i can ask them to pick up one for me if the savings are substantial.
Old 28th November 2011, 09:21   #3325
BHPian

Got myself a Lenovo Z370 with following Specs:
2nd Gen Intel Core i3
750GB HDD
13.3"
2GB RAM (Am upgrading this to 6GB by paying 1750/-)
and all other usual stuff (BT, 2MP Cam, etc.,).

Got .5Gms of 22K Gold coin and some accessories.

Cheers,
Rajesh
Old 28th November 2011, 09:45   #3326
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
Guys, i currently have a Sony Vaio VPCCW16FG and i'm really pissed off with its (non)reliability.
I've had the LCD screen, CPU fan, motherboard all replaced under warranty. I spent 55k when i bought it and then another 5k on extended warranty for a completely unreliable laptop. My 7 yr old Compaq serves me much better than this.

So i'm thinking of going the Dell way. Is it better in terms of reliability than Sony ? How's the service ? Sony is very good when it comes to honoring warranty claims, how's it with Dell ? Also, does it make sense to buy one in Dubai than in India ? My parentts are travelling so i can ask them to pick up one for me if the savings are substantial.
Get a Dell. Their service support is exemplary and the best part is its on-site support which means you don't have to move an inch! Just one phone call and they attend to you in 48-72 hours mostly.

I have the Dell XPS 15 and the build quality is good. If your not into much of gaming and just need a basic reliable system I suggest you look at their Latitude range for its build quality.
flipsyde is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2011, 10:44   #3327
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500cc View Post
Got myself a Lenovo Z370 with following Specs:
2nd Gen Intel Core i3
750GB HDD
13.3"
2GB RAM (Am upgrading this to 6GB by paying 1750/-)
and all other usual stuff (BT, 2MP Cam, etc.,).

Got .5Gms of 22K Gold coin and some accessories.

Cheers,
Rajesh
For how much? How's the build? Battery life?
Old 28th November 2011, 10:58   #3328
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative420 View Post
For how much? How's the build? Battery life?
33k, Battery is life i got is 3.5hrs, build quality is acceptable, though not exceptional. Keyboards buttons are well placed and are extremely comfortable to use.
Old 28th November 2011, 13:01   #3329
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipsyde View Post
Get a Dell. Their service support is exemplary and the best part is its on-site support which means you don't have to move an inch! Just one phone call and they attend to you in 48-72 hours mostly.

I have the Dell XPS 15 and the build quality is good. If your not into much of gaming and just need a basic reliable system I suggest you look at their Latitude range for its build quality.
Thanks man flipside for letting me know they have on-site support. I'm thinking of using the sony for word, excel e-mail checking and browsing etc. The dell, if i buy it, will mainly be used for gaming, downloads and movies. Any idea if buying from Dubai results in significant savings ?
Old 28th November 2011, 20:02   #3330
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
Thanks man flipside for letting me know they have on-site support. I'm thinking of using the sony for word, excel e-mail checking and browsing etc. The dell, if i buy it, will mainly be used for gaming, downloads and movies. Any idea if buying from Dubai results in significant savings ?
As far as warranty is concerned you don't have to worry. It's valid across the globe. But I dont think you'll save much in Dubai. There is quite a bit of saving when purchased from the US. I'm not sure if the rising dollar has bridged that gap.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks