Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd October 2011, 17:34   #3256
Senior - BHPian

re: THE Laptop Thread: Configs, deals and questions

I have recently bought a 2TB external USB3 HDD. I had to get a USB3 controller as the MB had only USB2. Boy is it fast. The local to external data is transferred faster than between local disks 2GB+/min in local mode and nearly 3TB to external HDD. I have 6 HDD on my desk top, and needed more storage space.

So en external HDD is today a better solution, even if you have a laptop.
Old 24th October 2011, 10:53   #3257
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
I have recently bought a 2TB external USB3 HDD. I had to get a USB3 controller as the MB had only USB2. Boy is it fast. The local to external data is transferred faster than between local disks 2GB+/min in local mode and nearly 3TB to external HDD. I have 6 HDD on my desk top, and needed more storage space.

So en external HDD is today a better solution, even if you have a laptop.
I have recently purchased a laptop that has USB 3.0 (with NEC/Renesas controller). Also has esata. Apart from the pathetic USB 2.0 Freeagent Go, I have 2 options for external disks:
1. existing esata: fast but setting up (power, esata plugs) takes some time (1-2 min) plus off course it is cumbersome.
2. buying a USB 3.0 portable/powered external HDD (preferably WD).

Seeing that you have recently bought an external HDD with USB 3.0, can you post your transfer speeds (AIDA/HD tune pro, etc). For reference esata (seagate 1TB in transcend enclosure) on laptop can go at 75-100 MB/s (constraint is laptop hard disk which is 7200 rpm seagate momentus), USB 2.0 portable is only 20-25 MB/s.

I would love to know the speed range for USB 3.0 portable and/or power. Even a significant improvement over USB 2.0 say to ~50 MB/s would be great. I think a portable 500 GB WD USB 3.0 retails for around Rs. 2.7, and a 1 TB one sells for around Rs. 4.8-5 K. If their is not much of an improvement, then I do not want to spend on external USB 3.0 and just stick with my existing esata and USB 2.0 portable. Powered external USB 3.0 should be faster and cheaper (2 TB WD for around 5 K) but their is the power cord hassle.

Please help.

Another thing that perhaps you can answer: I have a transcend storejet enclosure for esata. I usually use a 1TB sata II hard disk in it. Have used a 2 TB caviar green too but it usually gave a BSOD on windows 7. Is it to do with hard disk size (2TB) or the sata interface (2TBs usually come with SATA 6 GB/s).
Old 24th October 2011, 13:16   #3258
Senior - BHPian

My external disk is 3 1/2 external drive, which requires external power. This was bought by my son, who wanted a fast external disk. I have not tried any transfer bench marks, but as I wrote I get about 3 GB/min transfer rate for back up. In contrast my internal SATA maxes at 2 GB/min transferring from one HDD to another.

The WD 2 1/2 inch is available with USB3 at around 1/2K premium over USB2, so it is worth it (Try Flipkart, they have all the variation), but smaller disks are 1T and not 2 as yet)
Flipkart.com: WD My Passport Essential SE 2.5 inch 1 TB: External Hard Drive

I personally prefer to have more HDD rather than one large one.
Old 24th October 2011, 17:28   #3259
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
(Try Flipkart, they have all the variation), but smaller disks are 1T and not 2 as yet)
Flipkart.com: WD My Passport Essential SE 2.5 inch 1 TB: External Hard Drive
This is what I had in mind and flipkart is very competitive compared with Nehru Place (at least for the items that flipkart stocks).

I will perhaps take a 500 GB (good enough especially since I do have a lot of spare hard disks).

I think you were mentioning the external powered one which is 5K for 2TB (WD). That would of course be a lot faster than a portable one, but requires external power. I think the powered one has a Caviar Green disk inside.
Old 25th October 2011, 04:41   #3260
BHPian

Thanks for the advice team!

After some consideration, I have eliminated most of the models on that list. Final short list is:-

1. Dell XPS 15

i7 2670QM, GT 540M graphics, 4GBx1 DDR3 RAM, Ful HD screen, Blu Ray

Price: Rs. 62,500

2. HP dv6-6121tx

i7 2630QM, Radeon 6770M graphics, 6GB DDR3 RAM, 1366x768 display resolution, 5400rpm drive (about 500GB, can't recall exact capacity)

Price : Rs. 56,000

3. HP dv6-6165tx

i7 2670QM, 750GB 5400rpm drive, other specs same as 6121tx

Price: 58,000-59,000

Unless Dell offers me a better price , I'll go for one of the dv6s.
Old 25th October 2011, 08:51   #3261
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anku94 View Post
After some consideration, I have eliminated most of the models on that list. Final short list is:-

1. Dell XPS 15

i7 2670QM, GT 540M graphics, 4GBx1 DDR3 RAM, Ful HD screen, Blu Ray

Price: Rs. 62,500........................

Unless Dell offers me a better price , I'll go for one of the dv6s.
How did you get this quote? From a local re-seller or Dell online store? IMO the local re-sellers have a huge profit margin. Try to configure it online.

Dell online store also gives you a flat 5% off on the On Road Price IIRC.

IF I were to choose one of the above, I would close my eyes and pick the XPS. The 1080p screen is awesome and the sound output from the JBL is way too good for a notebook computer. And DELL service is supposedly to be much better than HP.

With HP spinning off its Computer business to a separate entity and the A.S.S being outsourced to some third rated vendors, I don't think it is wise to spend so much on a product that does not even offer extended warranty as an option.

My Two Cents!!

PS: Please make sure you have the backlit keyboard configured on your machine, if you are picking the XPS.

Last edited by Warwithwheels : 25th October 2011 at 08:54.
Old 25th October 2011, 21:20   #3262
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warwithwheels View Post
How did you get this quote? From a local re-seller or Dell online store? IMO the local re-sellers have a huge profit margin. Try to configure it online.
Yups, configured it online. The local shopkeeper's prices were way too high.

Quote:
Dell online store also gives you a flat 5% off on the On Road Price IIRC.
That has already been included in the price I mentioned. :P

Quote:
IF I were to choose one of the above, I would close my eyes and pick the XPS. The 1080p screen is awesome and the sound output from the JBL is way too good for a notebook computer. And DELL service is supposedly to be much better than HP.
The thing is that even the dv6 has its positives like much better graphics (upto 50% better frame rates) and is cheaper.

Quote:
With HP spinning off its Computer business to a separate entity and the A.S.S being outsourced to some third rated vendors, I don't think it is wise to spend so much on a product that does not even offer extended warranty as an option.
Oh, I didn't know about the A.S.S. outsourcing part. Thanks!

Quote:
PS: Please make sure you have the backlit keyboard configured on your machine, if you are picking the XPS.
Done that.
Old 27th October 2011, 23:23   #3263
Senior - BHPian

Hi

Purchased an Asus P53E for 33K , 15.6 Inch Core i5-2430M , 750GB HDD , 4GB Ram. Actually went out to buy Toshiba Core I5 for 31K but purchased this one due to biger screen , 250GB and 2GB extra RAM

Regards
Old 29th October 2011, 14:02   #3264
BHPian

Hi team!

So finally after reviewing, evaluating and eliminating a lot of options, I bought a lappy.

HP dv6 6165tx - Rs. 58,000

Thanks for all your advice!

Went for this one only for pure specs. I'm aware with HP's not-that-good rep with after sales, but that's a risk I took, as getting the Dell would have made the whole deal much more expensive.

Should I go for extended warranty/accidental damage protection?

Extended warranty for two years costs Rs. 5500, with accidental damage protection for one year - Rs. 7200.

Is it worth it?
Old 29th October 2011, 15:18   #3265
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anku94 View Post
Should I go for extended warranty/accidental damage protection?

Extended warranty for two years costs Rs. 5500, with accidental damage protection for one year - Rs. 7200.

Is it worth it?
Extended warranty is a must. See if you can get warranty for total of five years, then you are protected.

Accident damage premium seems to be a bit high. Why don't you talk to a general insurance agent and get a quote for insurance against damage/loss. I think that would be a better bet.
Old 29th October 2011, 16:05   #3266
BHPian

What happened to HDD prices?
They are skyrocketing by the minute and is higher than 2007 levels.
Though flooding in Thailand is given as the reason, it is unbelievable that HDD's are made only there.
Have put off the decision to buy a desktop for now due to high prices of components.
Old 29th October 2011, 17:48   #3267
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jidousha View Post
What happened to HDD prices?
They are skyrocketing by the minute and is higher than 2007 levels.
Though flooding in Thailand is given as the reason, it is unbelievable that HDD's are made only there.
Have put off the decision to buy a desktop for now due to high prices of components.
Thailand is a big manufacturing centre, but so is Singapore and Malaysia. As the demand for HDD is huge, any disruption in supply is reflected in enhanced prices. Wait a month and it will be back to normal as other centres ramp up production to take up the shortfall.
Old 30th October 2011, 12:30   #3268
Senior - BHPian

Industry Has Two Months of HDD Stock Remaining - Analysts - X-bit labs

See this. I could not get the link on this site but a few days back, it reported that WDC and Seagate are estimating several (best case of 2-3) quarters of shortages.

Apple, Dell, Intel Expect HDD Shortage to Have Drastic Impact on PC Market - X-bit labs

Seagate: Thai Flooding Is a Multi-Quarter Issues for Whole Hard Drive Industry - X-bit labs

WD: HDD Industry Will Be Supply-Constrained Due to Thailand Flooding - X-bit labs

To see it on the ground, just an hour back, I went to buy a WD Portable 500GB USB 3.0 disk. It was selling for 3.9K compared with around 2.6-2.8K before this problem. Came back without buying it.
Old 30th October 2011, 19:26   #3269
BHPian

Quote:
Extended warranty is a must. See if you can get warranty for total of five years, then you are protected.

Accident damage premium seems to be a bit high. Why don't you talk to a general insurance agent and get a quote for insurance against damage/loss. I think that would be a better bet.
Oh, accidental damage protection is 1.7k. It's the total (extended warranty + insurance) that's 7.2k. I guess I'll go for the whole package then. Thanks!
Old 3rd November 2011, 10:43   #3270
BHPian

Need a laptop. Following are the demands.

1. Real good battery life.
2. Light in weight.
3. Good display.
4. Good A**.

All this in the budget of 25K-28K. Possible? I have a licensed copy of Windows 7.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks