Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd August 2011, 15:32   #3166
BHPian

re: THE Laptop Thread: Configs, deals and questions

I am looking at purchasing a DELL XPS 17'' on the 6-month interest free EMI scheme on select credit cards. Can anyone who has purchased this model through this scheme shed any light on this deal ?
Old 23rd August 2011, 16:54   #3167
Senior - BHPian

There's deals for Thinkpad X200 and Toshiba ( Satellite C Series C600-P401); 30k and 19k respectively!
Old 23rd August 2011, 19:32   #3168
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
There's deals for Thinkpad X200 and Toshiba ( Satellite C Series C600-P401); 30k and 19k respectively!
jkdas, Any links to the deals especially the Toshiba.
Old 24th August 2011, 14:14   #3169
Distinguished - BHPian

I need a new laptop since I am going to Spain for my MBA soon. Want something thin and reasonably light. Looks like the new-gen z series fits the bill, 14z. Its 4.5lb in weight and less than 1inch thick.
Inspiron 14z Laptop Details | Dell

Looking to get the fully loaded version with 14inch LED screen+ i5 2.3 with Intel HD 3000 graphics + 8gb RAM + 750gb SATA +Dual layer DVD burner(wish it had a blue-ray drive option!!). Packed with a battery life of 6 hours. After adding 3 years at home warranty (I hope this is valid worldwide? as I am going to be shuttling between Spain and India) and Microsoft student office the whole deal is approx $1000 USD from Dell USA.

What do you guys think?
Are there any alternatives with compact size and similar specs? 14inch screen size is ideal
Old 24th August 2011, 14:41   #3170
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
I need a new laptop since I am going to Spain for my MBA soon. Want something thin and reasonably light. Looks like the new-gen z series fits the bill, 14z. Its 4.5lb in weight and less than 1inch thick.
Inspiron 14z Laptop Details | Dell

Looking to get the fully loaded version with 14inch LED screen+ i5 2.3 with Intel HD 3000 graphics + 8gb RAM + 750gb SATA +Dual layer DVD burner(wish it had a blue-ray drive option!!). Packed with a battery life of 6 hours. After adding 3 years at home warranty (I hope this is valid worldwide? as I am going to be shuttling between Spain and India) and Microsoft student office the whole deal is approx $1000 USD from Dell USA.

What do you guys think?
Are there any alternatives with compact size and similar specs? 14inch screen size is ideal
Sahil,

The Inspiron 14z is a good system. And yes the Dell warranty is valid globally.
Old 24th August 2011, 14:45   #3171
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xryder View Post
I am looking at purchasing a DELL XPS 17'' on the 6-month interest free EMI scheme on select credit cards. Can anyone who has purchased this model through this scheme shed any light on this deal ?
Xryder,

I have purchased a system using the 6 month interest free EMI scheme using a Citibank Credit Card. It was an employee purchase and there were no hidden charges.

Pls ask the Sales person to process using the 6 month EMI scheme and also ask him to confirm the same via E-mail so that you have some documentary proof as well.
lloydofcochin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2011, 14:48   #3172
BHPian

Folks, these deals make you anxious, but make sure the vendor gives the right configuration as the second generation processors are right in the market. The performance if at par excellence with respect to the old processors.
Old 24th August 2011, 14:48   #3173
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydofcochin View Post
Xryder,

I have purchased a system using the 6 month interest free EMI scheme using a Citibank Credit Card. It was an employee purchase and there were no hidden charges.

Pls ask the Sales person to process using the 6 month EMI scheme and also ask him to confirm the same via E-mail so that you have some documentary proof as well.
Thanks for the tip. I am getting an 8% discount on the total purchase value since I have opted for 3 year full cover. One more doubt I have is that is the full-cover valid all over the world or just in India ?
Old 24th August 2011, 14:57   #3174
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xryder View Post
Thanks for the tip. I am getting an 8% discount on the total purchase value since I have opted for 3 year full cover. One more doubt I have is that is the full-cover valid all over the world or just in India ?
Xryder,

The Complete Cover is region specific and when the system is bought is India is valid only in the Asia-Pacific region however the system warranty is valid globally.

Complete Cover covers any accidental damages to the system. However the Battery carries only 1yr warranty irrespective of the system warranty and is not covered under Complete Cover.
lloydofcochin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2011, 15:32   #3175
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
jkdas, Any links to the deals especially the Toshiba.
I bought a Toshiba for 18 something K from Flipkart last month. You might want to have a look there.
2 GB RAM and if I remember correctly 500 GB hard disk.
It comes with no OS. And no drivers CD.
I installed the windows.
Drivers for this laptop I got from the Toshiba site only.
download2live is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2011, 18:33   #3176
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by download2live View Post
I bought a Toshiba for 18 something K from Flipkart last month. You might want to have a look there.
2 GB RAM and if I remember correctly 500 GB hard disk.
It comes with no OS. And no drivers CD.
I installed the windows.
Drivers for this laptop I got from the Toshiba site only.
How is the build quality of Toshiba laptops? I had a horrendously bad experience with Sony where every single thing had problems.
Old 24th August 2011, 18:47   #3177
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prateekm View Post
How is the build quality of Toshiba laptops? I had a horrendously bad experience with Sony where every single thing had problems.
Its equivalent to the IBM machines. The lenovo series. In fact a bit sturdier than that for that matter. No creaks. No wobbles. Total VFM.

But yes it is just a workhorse kind of no frills laptop. Not a shiner in looks dept. And also the webcam (yes its there) was not so good. Maybe I did not configure it properly or did not install drivers for it. Anyways it was of less importance to me. So does not matter.
download2live is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2011, 08:24   #3178
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
Thanks Sir. Will post the update.

I was so lazy to take a recovery CD. Atleast that would have given an option to try restoring now :(
Its been more than a week, and still no one called back. The toll free is just stupid and same with other direct numbers.

I have sent a mail to ail_easycare@acer.co.in and nothing happens. I wondering if I did a mistake of getting the 2 and 3rd year warranty to at a cost. Useless
Old 29th August 2011, 17:52   #3179
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydofcochin View Post
....It was an employee purchase and there were no hidden charges.....
How much one can save if its bought through employees ? I have cousins or friends who are with Dell/HP etc. Its for my brother within a budget of 25-35k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prateekm View Post
I had very bad experience with Toshiba back in 2004. Recovery CD was used atleast 4 times and finally had to dispose it off within 2 years. Presently considering Vaio for my brother, do you think I should look for other brands ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
Its been more than a week, and still no one called back. The toll free is just stupid and same with other direct numbers.......
Buddy, from your post I assume its an ACER, do you think I should avoid them from my shortlisting process ?
Old 29th August 2011, 18:37   #3180
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
How much one can save if its bought through employees ? I have cousins or friends who are with Dell/HP etc. Its for my brother within a budget of 25-35k.
Will send you a PM regarding the same.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks