Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th August 2011, 19:15   #3181
BHPian

re: THE Laptop Thread: Configs, deals and questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
I had very bad experience with Toshiba back in 2004. Recovery CD was used atleast 4 times and finally had to dispose it off within 2 years. Presently considering Vaio for my brother, do you think I should look for other brands ?
Haha, and I had a very bad experience with Sony Vaio. Within 2 years, there were dead pixels on the LCD, DVD drive stopped functioning, the battery was dead, left speaker went kaput and one the hinges broke. Each time, the Sony service center had just 1 explanation, "Sir, rough usage hua hai".
Old 29th August 2011, 19:18   #3182
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prateekm View Post
......the Sony service center had just 1 explanation, "Sir, rough usage hua hai".
Even I feel the same with the number of complaints you have had
Are you an 'off-road' laptop user by any chance ?
Old 29th August 2011, 19:50   #3183
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
Even I feel the same with the number of complaints you have had
Are you an 'off-road' laptop user by any chance ?
No The laptop was used by dad at generally at home for ~ 2 years. Now, I'm planning to go for a Toshiba since quite a few in my friend circle have a Toshiba, and they have the most VFM laptops for 30k.

Last edited by prateekm : 29th August 2011 at 19:51. Reason: Rephrasing
Old 30th August 2011, 09:40   #3184
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prateekm View Post
Haha, and I had a very bad experience with Sony Vaio. Within 2 years, there were dead pixels on the LCD, DVD drive stopped functioning, the battery was dead, left speaker went kaput and one the hinges broke. Each time, the Sony service center had just 1 explanation, "Sir, rough usage hua hai".
I have found that the older IBM Thinkpads were one of the most rugged designs. I had an X40 for three years no problems, except once motherboard change in warranty. I now have an X62s and in the last five years only the battery had to be replaced. Mechanically they are very rugged. Even the cover is stiff enough to protect the LCD against sudden loads on it.

The best part is that IBM, and now Lenovo have a three year warranty, honoured world wide on most Thinkpad models, and all parts except the battery (one year only) are covered, with no questions asked.

As far as Sony CD/DVD are concerned, my experience is that the last at the most one year, be they in a Laptop, a Desktop, a music system or stand alone! That is why I switched to LG.
Old 30th August 2011, 11:06   #3185
BHPian

Not all Lenovo models comes with that Magnesium cage which is well known for its ruggedness. I had a Lenovo R61 which was solid like a tank and it withstood many abuses without even a single hardware failure. But recently I bought a Lenovo T410s and I do not feel that this is as solid as my R61. But at last I definitely have a peace of mind as I have a 3 years at home service which I guess is not the case with other brands.

Overall Lenovo is a good buy especially the Thinkpads.
Old 30th August 2011, 12:28   #3186
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe1980 View Post
Not all Lenovo models comes with that Magnesium cage which is well known for its ruggedness. I had a Lenovo R61 which was solid like a tank and it withstood many abuses without even a single hardware failure. But recently I bought a Lenovo T410s and I do not feel that this is as solid as my R61. But at last I definitely have a peace of mind as I have a 3 years at home service which I guess is not the case with other brands.

Overall Lenovo is a good buy especially the Thinkpads.
The R series were "economy" models. It is the "T" and "X" which are built lo last (and they are priced so). Even so, we still have an R50, about 6 years old. Though it is showing signs of age, it is still mechanically sound.
Old 5th September 2011, 10:16   #3187
BHPian

I am planning a new lappie.
Mostly for my newly found gaming hunger
and, for all the day to day work - Youtube, FB, Tbhp, word, excel, food grinder, and all.

focus: medium+heavy Gaming , A/V on the laptop!

Just looked up dell online configurations, My customized version-
XPS 15
i5 (2410M 2.0 Ghz)
8GB RAM,
2 GB GT 540M Nvidia Gfx Card
1920X1080 FHD 15.6" Display (It has truelife! yay! - whatever that means!)
Blu Ray BD rom.

Costs: 65.5K

<Mann, like 3 years ago, I got a laptop from Dell, Its like quarter of the config above!! and it costed 42K then!>

Questions:
1. Any better deal in that range? (No Alienware please - I have to carry around my laptop!)

2. Can I do away with the Win 7 that is forced with the Laptop? (and save some 4K bucks?)

3. The above Config can run what games with what resolutions? (just 2 or 3 indicative examples)
I mean, with i5+8GB Ram (1033 Mhz FSB)+2GB GT540M Nvidia Gfx Card

e.g. Can Run NFS Shift 2 with
Med graphics+everything maxxed out,
High graphics with no AA
-- something like that..

4. Anything else?

thanks,

Ace.

Last edited by driverace : 5th September 2011 at 10:24.
Old 5th September 2011, 12:18   #3188
Senior - BHPian

You can do away with Win7 provided your games are supported on other Operating Systems, else you are stuck with windows. One option is to get a high end MacBook, as long as the games you want are supported.

If you want to save 4k, you are tied to the free editions of Linux, of course your games have to be supported by Linux.

As such you do not need a high end card to support the graphics resolution of your display. What you need is a card with excellent 3D capabilities. The speed and the RAM of the card increases the frame rate, but it is useless to get a high end card which support 60fps at HD resolution if your display is of lower resolution.

So do some research on each game you want to get and determine
. Supported OS
. Supported graphics cards
. Supported Monitors/Displays

and then shortlist the laptops.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2011, 13:36   #3189
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
You can do away with Win7 provided your games are supported on other Operating Systems, else you are stuck with windows. One option is to get a high end MacBook, as long as the games you want are supported.
If you want to save 4k, you are tied to the free editions of Linux, of course your games have to be supported by Linux.
So do some research on each game you want to get and determine
. Supported OS
. Supported graphics cards
. Supported Monitors/Displays

and then shortlist the laptops.
@ using OSes other than Win 7, Linux, or Mac OSs-
I would not go for anything other than Windows - as I require some interfacing with Win components :(
I already have a Win 7 basic copy - which I intend to use on the Laptop.
(I still run XP on my old laptop! I wouldnt move, if it did support the extra RAM juice! and advanced stuff!)

I dont mind if it comes with any other OS - ( read: I am ready to do the work to search drivers, if required.- to bring it back to Win-)

@ Games I am looking at:
Well, mostly we can say, the ones released from Racing world- NFS, Burnout, Forza, GRID and likes of it (sometimes GTA 4 or such kind).
Do not assume, I am into "serious" gaming.
I just enjoy it, and for once want to enjoy them well with my Machine (Laptop)!
especially after looking at the beautiful gameplay-videos all over youtube!

Is that information clear to proceed with the shortlist?

I appreciate the help!

Thanks,

Ace.

Last edited by driverace : 5th September 2011 at 13:38.
Old 5th September 2011, 14:52   #3190
Senior - BHPian

If you like XP, then you will like XP64, which can access memory beyond 4GB. You can also use XP virtual machine under win7 with practiaclly no overhead.
Old 5th September 2011, 15:22   #3191
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
If you like XP, then you will like XP64, which can access memory beyond 4GB. You can also use XP virtual machine under win7 with practiaclly no overhead.
Thanks for that!
XP64 is good for me then

Any benchmarks on the Graphics and games? with the given configs?
Anything better in the segment?

Just did some reading -
GT540 is a mid range card, and 2 GB doesnt make sense! (meaning: it is an overkill.) --source< some site/forum related to Graphics and all>
^^ Views on that, please

Some benchmarks would really help decide.

Thanks,

Ace.

Edit:
Some more reading, and, I am seeing - It would not be very satisfying to invest even close to 60K for a config above stated! :(
I better shift my budget to the "Computers thread" and get something that can be good for the bucks spent!
<Sad, with that kind of money, if it cant play Shift2 !!>
^<unless someone disagrees with the above>

Last edited by driverace : 5th September 2011 at 15:45.
Old 5th September 2011, 18:11   #3192
Senior - BHPian

I am not into games, so would not have any benchmarks, but the net has a lot of benchmarks. I mostly do high end computing so need a powerful system.

Actually when you think about it, Alienware has the best configuration for the money charged. Every component is excellent and so is the reliability. It is a pity that good stuff costs so much. Just like good work stations, they seem to be priced insanely, but when you add up, they work out to be an excellent bargain. I should know, I assembled a dual Xeon workstation with Tyan motherboard, and realized that all that I saved was on the cabinet and build quality!
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2011, 18:21   #3193
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by driverace View Post
Edit:
Some more reading, and, I am seeing - It would not be very satisfying to invest even close to 60K for a config above stated! :(
I better shift my budget to the "Computers thread" and get something that can be good for the bucks spent!
<Sad, with that kind of money, if it cant play Shift2 !!>
^<unless someone disagrees with the above>
How about shifting to the Computers thread and assembling (or atleast listing down the config that you want) your own PC and get it put together from a shop on SP Road?

If you are want to game seriously, then think of a console than a PC. While some might disagree, game play and graphics on the console are much richer and better. The costliest console can be had for less than half the price of the Dell laptop configuration.
Old 5th September 2011, 22:29   #3194
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by driverace View Post
I am planning a new lappie.
Mostly for my newly found gaming hunger
and, for all the day to day work - Youtube, FB, Tbhp, word, excel, food grinder, and all.

focus: medium+heavy Gaming , A/V on the laptop!

Just looked up dell online configurations, My customized version-
XPS 15
i5 (2410M 2.0 Ghz)
8GB RAM,
2 GB GT 540M Nvidia Gfx Card
1920X1080 FHD 15.6" Display (It has truelife! yay! - whatever that means!)
Blu Ray BD rom.

Costs: 65.5K

<Mann, like 3 years ago, I got a laptop from Dell, Its like quarter of the config above!! and it costed 42K then!>

Questions:
1. Any better deal in that range? (No Alienware please - I have to carry around my laptop!)

2. Can I do away with the Win 7 that is forced with the Laptop? (and save some 4K bucks?)

3. The above Config can run what games with what resolutions? (just 2 or 3 indicative examples)
I mean, with i5+8GB Ram (1033 Mhz FSB)+2GB GT540M Nvidia Gfx Card

e.g. Can Run NFS Shift 2 with
Med graphics+everything maxxed out,
High graphics with no AA
-- something like that..

4. Anything else?

thanks,

Ace.
Seems to be a good offer the only thing which I can notice is that you are getting i5 processor, whereas I also got a quote form DELL store around 20 days back for the similar configuration (posted here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...ml#post2466522) and I was offered an i7. See if you negotiate it further. What HDD are you getting along with this?

For gaming purposes, it is a good configuration in this price range. I am now looking for the Latitude quote for the same configuration.

The 6 months, 3 interest free installments (available only on 3 selected cards) is good, if you don't want to pay upfront.

Cheers!
Irish
Old 6th September 2011, 10:43   #3195
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
How about shifting to the Computers thread and assembling (or atleast listing down the config that you want) your own PC and get it put together from a shop on SP Road?
Well, that was my inclination when I read about how it runs a few games released in 2010! and I *think, I* might still keep a good Laptop config- just in case I really feel like going for the Laptop only.
If you are want to game seriously, then think of a console than a PC. While some might disagree, game play and graphics on the console are much richer and better. The costliest console can be had for less than half the price of the Dell laptop configuration.
Well, at this point of time, I do not have a decent LCD at my room.
Console would mean buying a system and then going for the LCD too!
I agree on one thing - Top Console would now cost about 40% of the cost I am ready for, right now.
But, again - Carrying it places would be bit of a tiff.
<Damn! teambhp effect this time too- still some more options, and better and stronger confusion!>

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish View Post
Seems to be a good offer the only thing which I can notice is that you are getting i5 processor, whereas I also got a quote form DELL store around 20 days back for the similar configuration (posted here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...ml#post2466522) and I was offered an i7. See if you negotiate it further. What HDD are you getting along with this?
I am getting a measly 500Gigs!
No freebies either!
Cheers!
Irish
Hey, One question!
How in the name of sweet heavens syrup can we negotiate!? (thats news to me, we can negotitate at Dell!) //excuse the enthusiasm running in this statement!
Please help with that.
Having i7 would indeed be nice!

Yesterday, I saw some videos running a few games - on this config (XPS 15z- with 1GB and 2 GB graphics)
And, those look just okay.

Well,
As always, need to read more!

Thanks for the help,
Any more help would be appreciated as well ! ( )

Ace.

Last edited by driverace : 6th September 2011 at 10:47.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks