Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th September 2011, 21:50   #3211
Senior - BHPian

Dear friends, I have a 5 year old Sony Vaio TX1-HP it was and still consider it a gem, daddy to all the new gen ultras.

I want to salvage it with only a simple Linux running as I want to keep it alive. Can some one please suggest a technician that can resurrect my beloved Vaio. I am in Gurgaon.

Thanks!
Old 19th September 2011, 22:24   #3212
Senior - BHPian

re: THE Laptop Thread: Configs, deals and questions

please call Neeraj Sharma 9312653141. Nehru place. tell him kenden gave you the number for fast service.
Old 19th September 2011, 23:10   #3213
BHPian

Me too, but in Bombay. My Toshiba, is needing to be brought back to life, anyone know a good technician.

Thanks-in-advance
Old 20th September 2011, 09:01   #3214
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec
please call Neeraj Sharma 9312653141. Nehru place. tell him kenden gave you the number for fast service.
Thanks! I owe you one.
Old 20th September 2011, 10:52   #3215
BHPian

Hey all, anyone aware if I can get this model in India ?
Amazon.com: Acer Aspire TimelineX AS4820TG-6847 14-Inch HD Display Laptop (Black Brushed Aluminum): Computers & Accessories

Cheers,
Rajesh
Old 20th September 2011, 21:19   #3216
Senior - BHPian

That is a very sporting gesture. Could you provide details on the Dell models currently available through your channel partner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
Would advice for Dell. If you like i can arrange for one in Bangalore for never heard of price. Have a channel partner there. These are Dells imported by my friend. The whole container. European and US version. for example if we have 15R in India , their model will be inspiron 5110.

Warranty is not an issue as Dell has no question asked international warranty.
Old 20th September 2011, 22:24   #3217
Senior - BHPian

you are in delhi. my friends regn office is in delhi.

can you PM me your mail.
Old 29th September 2011, 18:28   #3218
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sn1p3r View Post
Dear friends, I have a 5 year old Sony Vaio TX1-HP it was and still consider it a gem, daddy to all the new gen ultras. I want to salvage it with only a simple Linux running as I want to keep it alive. Can some one please suggest a technician that can resurrect my beloved Vaio. I am in Gurgaon.
After Thinkpads, Sony Vaio are next on my order of preference. When I bought a laptop for my sis-in-law, the salesman said Thinkpads are only available at Lenovo authorized stores, so I asked for the Vaio but that was completely out of stock except for the netbook models.

If you have access to another computer and a webcam, I can get you to do it via a Skype call. BTW, there's not much you can salvage from a laptop except the hard disk and the RAM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
For good support get either Lenovo or Dell. I use Lenovo so I may be biased, but Thinkpads service is the best. My friends use Dell and their service is excellent.
I have a Thinkpad and it has lasted 6 years. I did use an HP and later gave it away but am still holding onto the Thinkpad

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRV2010 View Post
I have been thinking of buying a Mac Book Air at 65k. Is it possible to load Windows on to it ? Though i have seen many tutorials on how to Install Windows on to the machine. Have anyone tried it ?
You can have Windows running on it with VMWare or Parallels. I've run Windows on a MacBook with VMWare. BTW, get a MacBook Pro instead of a MacBook Air - same price range, more performance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kap04 View Post
I am searching for a laptop as my old Toshiba one has started giving the keypad issues.

Thinking about getting the Acer Aspire Timeline 5830TG( Ci3) , its available for 36,200 on flipkart.
There's a great deal on a Toshiba model for 37k that meets your requirements - I saw at Croma but it was out of stock. The display model is available with a 5% discount but wasn't interested and picked another one instead. There's also an HP model with 3GB RAM but with a Core i5 processor for 38k.
Old 1st October 2011, 02:22   #3219
Senior - BHPian

I am confused about the processor and system memory. I am not sure what to go for.
I am looking for a laptop that can replace my system and I am thinkning of going for 4GB sys Memory and i3 processor.

But I am seeing that most of the i3 laptops come with 3GB memory.

Can someone explains what difference would it make between a 3GB memory and 4GB memory system?

And additionally, for the configuration of i3 and 4GB which laptop would your recommend to me.
My usage is only internet, movies, downloads etc.

Please help.
Old 1st October 2011, 22:20   #3220
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xingamazon View Post
I am confused about the processor and system memory. I am not sure what to go for.
I am looking for a laptop that can replace my system and I am thinkning of going for 4GB sys Memory and i3 processor.

But I am seeing that most of the i3 laptops come with 3GB memory.

Can someone explains what difference would it make between a 3GB memory and 4GB memory system?

And additionally, for the configuration of i3 and 4GB which laptop would your recommend to me.
My usage is only internet, movies, downloads etc.

Please help.
3gb is sufficient for your usage pattern. and DDR3 is not expensive even if you decide to buy. You will get single 4gb 1333 Mhz module for 1300 (transcend). what you should be worried is hdd space (for downloads).

PS: If you want to use it as a download rig (on for 24 hours), use a cheap netbook/netop instead. Thats much sensible.
Old 1st October 2011, 22:37   #3221
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xingamazon View Post
The 3GB models usually ship with a 32 bit version of Windows which cannot address any more than 3GB of RAM. The 64 bit versions are capable of using 4GB or more.
Old 1st October 2011, 23:33   #3222
BHPian

Hi team

I've decided on a laptop for college use - Dell XPS 15.

Config:-

i7 2670QM 2.2GHz
4GB RAM
NVidia GT 540M graphics
1080p B+RGLED display
Blu-ray ROM
6-cell battery (thinking of 9-cell)
500GB HDD (with the prices of external HDDs dirt cheap, no point in paying 1.5k for extra 250GB).

It's available online for 65k and students from my college get a student discount of 5%, which I hope to increase by haggling (too optimistic?).

Any suggestions on models/configuration/good deals are welcome. I plan on buying it in about 2 weeks.
Old 2nd October 2011, 09:31   #3223
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_nitin_r View Post
After Thinkpads, Sony Vaio are next on my order of preference. When I bought a laptop for my sis-in-law, the salesman said Thinkpads are only available at Lenovo authorized stores, so I asked for the Vaio but that was completely out of stock except for the netbook models.

If you have access to another computer and a webcam, I can get you to do it via a Skype call. BTW, there's not much you can salvage from a laptop except the hard disk and the RAM.
Thanks mate, I will buzz you with PMs. I am currently following a very hectic work schedule and will get a breather post Dusshera.

Cheers!
Old 4th October 2011, 14:12   #3224
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anku94 View Post
Hi team

I've decided on a laptop for college use - Dell XPS 15.

Config:-

i7 2670QM 2.2GHz
4GB RAM
NVidia GT 540M graphics
1080p B+RGLED display
Blu-ray ROM
6-cell battery (thinking of 9-cell)
500GB HDD (with the prices of external HDDs dirt cheap, no point in paying 1.5k for extra 250GB).

It's available online for 65k and students from my college get a student discount of 5%, which I hope to increase by haggling (too optimistic?).

Any suggestions on models/configuration/good deals are welcome. I plan on buying it in about 2 weeks.
I'm now contemplating a desktop+netbook solution rather than a notebook : portability of a netbook and power and customizability of a desktop.

This is the (I don't know how many)th time I'm changing my decision. Hopefully, this time it's final.
Old 8th October 2011, 09:05   #3225
BHPian

Guys, my Inspiron 1420 Battery died.
Now, I see replacements at 2000 INR and even at 4000 INR! (on ebay)
the 1649 INR ones clearly state that they are not original-- and the sellers are "powersellers".
So, I am not sure, would the 1649/2000 INR batteries be worth it?
(they carry the seller warranty - 6 months)

Please let know ASAP, as I am now, fully on AC power- if there is any interruption - the laptop goes off! ( shouldn't be running like this for long!)

Thanks,

Ace.
SirAlec, PMed you for assistance

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks