Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd August 2011, 17:34   #3151
Senior - BHPian

re: THE Laptop Thread: Configs, deals and questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by v.anand View Post
How are the new Dell XPS 15 range of laptops? I am very keen on one, I use the previous version Studio XPS 16 presently. The i5 one is priced around 54k range.
I'm using one since December last. No problems, and I'm a happy Dell customer. Only grouse is that the Nvidia Optimus is not supported by Ubuntu (and other Linux flavours), so 3D graphics intensive applications such as solid works and the like cannot be run properly. But that is hardly a grouse for my usual needs - browsing, watching movies, all with full compiz graphics making it look and feel even better than a MacBook.

I regularly play 3D-intensive games, especially NFS series - I can use the maximum supported resolution and effects for Hot Pursuit 2010 without losing out on speed.

Mine has an i5 2.54GHz processor, 512MB Nvidia graphics card, 4GB RAM, 640GB HDD, 9-cell battery. Total cost 54k

EDIT: Be prepared to shell out an additional 1-1.5k on the miniDP-to-VGA converter cable if you want to connect a bigger monitor or a projector. Dell doesn't sell the cable, and you have to buy it from an Apple store or from eBay.

Last edited by silversteed : 2nd August 2011 at 17:40.
silversteed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2011, 17:58   #3152
BHPian

^^Thanks a lot @silversteed. I guess I will go with Dell again.

I am looking at one with i5 processor, 1GB graphics, 6 GB RAM, 6 cell battery, BD Drive and most importantly full HD RGB-LED screen. Missed out on this terrific screen in my previous purchase, its a pricey add-on worth 6.5K. Totally, its coming to a little more than 64K, any chance of getting any discount on this listed internet price?
Old 2nd August 2011, 18:08   #3153
Senior - BHPian

Consider buying that in US. Warranty would still be valid in India and you can pack 3 years comprehensive warranty in the same cost.

E.g. look at this deal for XPS

Dell XPS 15 Laptop w/ Intel i7-2630 Quad Core, Blu-ray and a 15.6" (1920x1080) Full HD Display
NetfreakBombay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2011, 10:43   #3154
Senior - BHPian

Re: Inspiron battery - second one dies

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
It seems Dell batteries are designed to service you for just an year. End of second year and my second battery is also dying. It just takes few minuets for it discharge from 100% to zero. Next state will be "plugged in but not charging"

Anyone has any info on cheaper third party alternatives? Attaching my battery's picture here. It is 48Wh which was a replacement under warranty when the first battery went out of service. The original one was 56 Wh.

Attachment 587236

The prices for the original batteries seem to be the range of 3K.
Most of the time it is the battery controller inside the pack which goes bad. A skilled repair person can change the chip.

My original Thinkpad battery also went bad in 13 months. The replacement is already 50% capacity in 18 months!

The battery packs are made by one or two OEM, so unless there a strict QA at the Laptop vendor end, such problems will keep cropping up.
Old 12th August 2011, 21:31   #3155
LNK
BHPian

I've presently narrowed down on Dell Ispiron 14R (with i5 processor and 6GB ram). Online cost is 43k (including carry case). Details .
Is it a good deal? I'm OK with the graphics option on this as I don't game much nor do I use CAD etc. I chose 14 over 15 (15.6) because I'm assuming the battery will last longer with a smaller screen.

Now, is there an option in Vaio with a similar configuration and price? I'm OK with the price of Vaio extending up to 50k as I get a 10% discount and the prices will come closer. My budget is 40-45k.

Function over form is my preference. Also, buying the Dell online is cheaper and more flexible with the config, eh? Will the warranty mentioned on the Dell package be valid outside India? (UK)
Old 12th August 2011, 21:49   #3156
BHPian

DELL Configuration

Hi Experts,

I have got a quote of Rs 65,575 form DELL store for the XPS 15:

Configuration:

- 2nd Gen Intel Core i7 2410 processor
- 8 GB DDR3 SDRAM
- 750 GB HDD
- 2 GN Graphicswith Optimus Technology
- 15.6" HD WLED Display
- Windows 7 (64 Bit) Home Premium
- 15 Months Antivirus (McAfee)
- 1 year warranty

Freebies:
- x-Fi sound blaster (Worth Rs 500)
- Bluetooth headset (worth Rs 1300)
- Backlit Keyboard
- Mouse
- If extended warranty (worth Rs 5500) of 1 year is taken, then a backpack (worth Rs 1600) is also free.

I am in the process of getting a lower quote fomr somewhere also. Please advise what should be the best deal for the above configuration?

Thanks,
Irish
Old 16th August 2011, 08:35   #3157
BHPian

Apple Care Protection Plan - Apple just doesn't seem to care!!

We have a Macbook Pro 13 in the family and its been doing great. We purchased it in India and it originally came with a one year warranty. As we wanted to extend our warranty I went out on eBay and purchased the Apple Care Protection Plan which extends the warranty by 2 more years. The MBP 13 is 15 months old now and the ACPP is about 9 months since purchase.

Recently the superdrive developed an auto-ejection issue. When we approached the service centre they said that the ACPP is not reflecting in their end and so I will have to contact Apple Support. When I got them on the line they ask me NOW after 9 months of registering the Apple Care Protection Plan for the invoice!! I tell them it was an online purchase via ebay and so I don't have the bill but I can however send the mail I received from the seller.

After a day Apple support gets back to me and says they can't help me out and that my ACPP is not valid since I have made the purchase on eBay. I asked them how they have been giving me phone support all this while and even now on the website it shows that I have registered the ACPP for my MBP 13 for which they reply that its a valid ACPP number but since I have purchased it online its not valid.

All this makes no sense to me. If it was not valid or whatever they should have contacted me via phone or mail telling me so as soon as I registered with it online. They do nothing of that sort and now I suffer for no obvious fault of mine. I really want to take this issue up with Apple and get what I paid for. Can anyone tell me who else I can write to and contact to handle this issue further??
Old 16th August 2011, 10:16   #3158
Senior - BHPian

Re: Apple Care Protection Plan - Apple just doesn't seem to care!!

Is the ebay seller from whom you bought ACPP reputed? Could be that the seller there is a scam?
Maybe you should take this up with the ebay seller and get them to enforce your ACPP.
Old 18th August 2011, 18:54   #3159
Senior - BHPian

Gonna get the HP DV6 with beats audio as a replacement for my Core 2 Duo based pavillion desktop.

All i need the new machine for is to work on spreadsheets, browse the web extensively, watch some HD movies occasionally and a little bit of gaming like NFS, RR etc. ( I can live without games too!)

I am more inclined towards getting the Core i3 with 4gb ram and 1gb radeon graphics. Will that do for me? or should i go for the i7.

Can i experience a significant difference in the performance of the i3 when i upgrade from the Core 2 duo processor.

The price differential is about 15k for the i3 & i7 in the latest HP DV6 series.

It gurus.... please help me out!

EDIT: Will retain this lappy for not more than 2 years.

Last edited by Warwithwheels : 18th August 2011 at 19:03.
Old 19th August 2011, 01:28   #3160
Senior - BHPian

Re: Apple Care Protection Plan - Apple just doesn't seem to care!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipsyde View Post
We have a Macbook Pro 13 in the family and its been doing great. We purchased it in India and it originally came with a one year warranty.....
...... Can anyone tell me who else I can write to and contact to handle this issue further??
Hello, you may want to post your query on the following thread. Someone there would surely be able to help you out.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...ns-mac-38.html
Old 20th August 2011, 18:49   #3161
Senior - BHPian

HP plans to sell PC business

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warwithwheels View Post
Gonna get the HP DV6 with beats audio as a replacement for my Core 2 Duo based pavillion desktop.

All i need the new machine for is to work on spreadsheets, browse the web extensively, watch some HD movies occasionally and a little bit of gaming like NFS, RR etc. ( I can live without games too!)

I am more inclined towards getting the Core i3 with 4gb ram and 1gb radeon graphics. Will that do for me? or should i go for the i7.

Can i experience a significant difference in the performance of the i3 when i upgrade from the Core 2 duo processor.

The price differential is about 15k for the i3 & i7 in the latest HP DV6 series.

Is it advisable to buy a HP product even after reading this?

HP shares tumble, to sell PC business, slashes outlook - Proactiveinvestors (NA)

Does it really mean something to Indian retail customers like me? Was just wondering why HP discontinued its extended warranty plan across all its products. Could this be a reason too?
Old 23rd August 2011, 08:57   #3162
Senior - BHPian

Last monday I bought the Acer Asphire 5755 in Croma, Chennai for 30K.'

In 2 days it conked off. Its still in chennai and used by my sister son. They took it to Croma and they said they need to re-install the image and will charge some amount. They are not even ready to check if the HDD is good or not.

Anyway, does anyone knows the Acer service center contact number or direct email id to get in touch with them?

Its too difficult to even get the contact emails from their site. The one I got after google is "ail_easycare@acer.co.in". Sent a mail. Hope they respond.
Old 23rd August 2011, 09:49   #3163

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warwithwheels

I have a HP DV6 laptop with 4 GB RAM and 1GB graphics card. I have put it up for sale on t- bhp classifieds , pls take a look and let me know if ur interested.

Bharath
Old 23rd August 2011, 10:31   #3164
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
Last monday I bought the Acer Asphire 5755 in Croma, Chennai for 30K.'

In 2 days it conked off. Its still in chennai and used by my sister son. They took it to Croma and they said they need to re-install the image and will charge some amount. They are not even ready to check if the HDD is good or not.

Anyway, does anyone knows the Acer service center contact number or direct email id to get in touch with them?

Its too difficult to even get the contact emails from their site. The one I got after google is "ail_easycare@acer.co.in". Sent a mail. Hope they respond.
@mjothi, Pity that Acer failed so quickly.
The contact information for Acer laptop is
SMS to +91-9901676677 : they will call back
or call 1800116677
Best of luck and please post the updates.
Jidousha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2011, 11:10   #3165
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jidousha View Post
@mjothi, Pity that Acer failed so quickly.
The contact information for Acer laptop is
SMS to +91-9901676677 : they will call back
or call 1800116677
Best of luck and please post the updates.
Thanks Sir. Will post the update.

I was so lazy to take a recovery CD. Atleast that would have given an option to try restoring now :(

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks