Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th March 2009, 15:44   #1651
BHPian

is there any chance that laptops will cost cheaper post budget!!
Old 15th March 2009, 14:14   #1652
BHPian

Facing a problem for the last 2 hours since i used a usb card for transfering data to the pic. The comp wouldn't eject the USB device so u directly unplugged it after trying to eject it 3 dozen times.
Now, if i right click a file or shortcut item the hour glass shows up and persistently stays for as long as i dont restart the computer, and whilst that shows the computer is hung, Cant click anything nor does the windows key work. However, the ctrl+alt+delete combo works and also alt-tab works.
If i right click an item in a folder i can close the unresponive folder from task manager but if its the desktop there is no means of doing that except restarting the machine.
Half of the installed programs have stopped working since, like ccleaner was installed but now the desktop shortcut shows that the link is non-existant. Also, Tune-up's manager lists most of the windows programs as unrecognised since that event.
I tried installing Cleaner again, but it wont run. Tried intalling Avast antivirus, but the machine re-starts everytime the setup is run.
Nothing was wrong until 3 hours back...Also, i was hibernating the system from the last 2 days and had uninstalled kaspersky a week ago.
Any suggestion as to how i probably could fix the machine w/o reloading the OS.

-I'd disabled restore points a month ago whilst removing Isys32.exe(cutephoto.exe) virus.
Old 15th March 2009, 15:28   #1653
BHPian

its some Wow virus i guess, AVG calls it a trojan. The Desktop didnt have any anti virus on to protect it when i plugged in the card.
-> is it possible to clean the trojan?
->the desk top re boots when i try to run Avast setup.
->Most system maintainence .exe files like cleaner ect are defunct now and cant run them after installation.
i'm attaching a snap shot of a search with wow.
I cant re-install windows are i have critial data on the C drive.
I'm able to use other functions on the computer though. Mozilla gtalk, yahoo ect ect work perfectly fine.
Can any
Old 15th March 2009, 15:33   #1654
BHPian

can some one suggest how to go about deleting the virus and if the attached pic has a virus name or a regular system file.

sorry for dual posts, im not able to edit post.
Attached Thumbnails
The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions-img_1556.jpg  

Old 15th March 2009, 15:46   #1655
BHPian

the virus is called sality and not wow.
Any suggestions as to how to remove it?
Cant run any .exe based files.

Can mod please merge my posts. im not able to edit my posts at the moment.
Old 15th March 2009, 18:28   #1656
Senior - BHPian

Gendarmee, I think the only option is to prepare a Mini-Personal Environment CD, like BartPE. Boot into the miniPE and manually erase some of the critical virus files.

You could plug in your HDD into another computer as a secondary drive and do the needful.

Last edited by anupmathur : 15th March 2009 at 18:35.
Old 15th March 2009, 18:58   #1657
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
Gendarmee, I think the only option is to prepare a Mini-Personal Environment CD, like BartPE. Boot into the miniPE and manually erase some of the critical virus files.

You could plug in your HDD into another computer as a secondary drive and do the needful.
Thank you for the reply.
I've found information about the virus files and where they probably be located on the system, but cannot locate them on the system manually. Ran a search with the file name after disabling the hidden files/system files too but it didnt help..
Old 15th March 2009, 19:33   #1658
Senior - BHPian

Then the best option would be to take your HDD to another computer and run a cleaning tool on drive:\(whatever your C shows up there as).
Old 15th March 2009, 19:55   #1659
BHPian

Quote:
Then the best option would be to take your HDD to another computer and run a cleaning tool on drive:\(whatever your C shows up there as).
No option but to do that, if the tool doesnt detect anything i can aleast copy the important files. worse case scenario- is the only option now.
One last question, how could i stop the other computer from spreading it? doesnt show any signs of infection but is spreading it. neither AVG or spyware doctor detect it.

there's a file, pagefile.sys, on the c drive which is about 800 mb, is it okay to delete it?

Last edited by gendarmee : 15th March 2009 at 19:59.
Old 15th March 2009, 20:07   #1660
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gendarmee View Post
there's a file, pagefile.sys, on the c drive which is about 800 mb, is it okay to delete it?
You can delete pagefile.sys. Windows creates it as 'additional RAM'.

You have to find the removal tool for this virus first. Install it on the other machine where you'll be plugging in your HDD.
Old 15th March 2009, 21:37   #1661
BHPian

Quote:
Install it on the other machine where you'll be plugging in your HDD.
yes, i have found an exe file from AVG that does exactly that.
In the mean time, i found that 7-Zip file manager could move the important files from the C drive to the other drive w/o a hitch.
Do HKEY_CURRENT_USER\System\CurrentControlSet\Control \SafeBoot,
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\SafeBoot these two keys relate too booting the computer in safe mode?
Is there a manual way of adding the commands if the were deleted by the virus. I guess if i can enable the comp to boot in safe mode, i can probably run the AVG exe file on this system itself. At the moment i cannot boot the comp in safe mode and also the AVG tool gets terminated as soon as i start it.

Last edited by gendarmee : 15th March 2009 at 21:39.
Old 16th March 2009, 23:24   #1662
BHPian

Plz suggest a good protective backpack for 15.4" laptop.Links would be appreciated.
Old 17th March 2009, 00:40   #1663
BHPian

Just finished formatting the C drive and installing windows again.
But was no good, the virus is still there.
Old 17th March 2009, 20:02   #1664
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gendarmee View Post
Just finished formatting the C drive and installing windows again.
But was no good, the virus is still there.
Gendarmee, I hope you realize what you've said here is well nigh impossible!
Once you've formatted the drive and reinstalled Windows, it HAS to be fine, unless you are using an infected set of setup files from a read/write medium.
Please use CDs that are genuine and keep your machine disconnected from a LAN or network while doing the install.
Old 17th March 2009, 20:23   #1665
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gill View Post
Plz suggest a good protective backpack for 15.4" laptop.Links would be appreciated.
Targus makes good backpack for laptops. Pretty comfortable and sturdy. Lots of pockets for stuff.

Targus | Cases | Notebook | Backpacks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks