Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th April 2009, 16:32   #1726
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarScream View Post
Not the Vaio P - its 60k plus.
I was just about to say that. But I will keep the other netbooks in mind - plan to go do some scouting at the regular electronic superstores in Bangalore tomorrow...What kind of prices can I expect for each of these today?
Old 24th April 2009, 23:52   #1727
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
I was just about to say that. But I will keep the other netbooks in mind - plan to go do some scouting at the regular electronic superstores in Bangalore tomorrow...What kind of prices can I expect for each of these today?
The Dell Mini 12 is about 31k.
The HP Mini is about 25k
The Lenovo Y series or Ideapads are 45-50K (they are full fledged laptops).
Personally, I would go for the Dell Mini 12 - decent size screen and keyboard compared with other netbooks.
Old 25th April 2009, 02:04   #1728
BHPian

HP 6930p Vs Thinkpad T400

Hey all
a short chit-chat at today's "gurgaon meet" let to the discussion, Thinkpad T400 or HP 6930p and even so, "DELL".

Dell latitude is ruled out, (bad reviews for an expensive notebook) so would apprecaite inputs solely on "performance" and "reliability" in the 2nd year viz-a-viz, HP or Thinkpad?

Cheers!
m2s

Last edited by married2speed : 25th April 2009 at 02:05.
Old 26th April 2009, 23:12   #1729
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by married2speed View Post
Hey all
a short chit-chat at today's "gurgaon meet" let to the discussion, Thinkpad T400 or HP 6930p and even so, "DELL".

Dell latitude is ruled out, (bad reviews for an expensive notebook) so would apprecaite inputs solely on "performance" and "reliability" in the 2nd year viz-a-viz, HP or Thinkpad?

Cheers!
m2s
Thinkpad, any day. And they come with three years warranty - standard.
Old 27th April 2009, 19:17   #1730
BHPian

HP Pavilion dv6345us

I have HP DV6345US laptop. It has 945GM Intel graphic inbuilt card. I would like to upgrade this to GeForce. Can I do that. if yes which model is suitable for gaming. As this one hangs a lot during 3D games.

And I know we can not downgrade this to XP, due to missing drivers for wireless card reader etc etc. But did anyone tried using XP on these laptops
Old 27th April 2009, 19:31   #1731
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The Dell Mini 12 is about 31k.
The HP Mini is about 25k
The Lenovo Y series or Ideapads are 45-50K (they are full fledged laptops).
Personally, I would go for the Dell Mini 12 - decent size screen and keyboard compared with other netbooks.
Oh my god! I saw the Acer Aspire 1 and it sucks! Very tacky and lousy finishing. I have to get back to more research now...next up is the Samsung netbook...
Old 27th April 2009, 21:14   #1732
BHPian

try giving a look to Lenovo Ideapad S10 @ ard 25K, also IdeaPad S10e netbook
Old 28th April 2009, 21:48   #1733
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam003 View Post
I have HP DV6345US laptop. It has 945GM Intel graphic inbuilt card. I would like to upgrade this to GeForce. Can I do that. if yes which model is suitable for gaming. As this one hangs a lot during 3D games.

And I know we can not downgrade this to XP, due to missing drivers for wireless card reader etc etc. But did anyone tried using XP on these laptops
you can't upgrade Lappy Graphics.

yes! XP can be installed on this. its the problem with sata drivers. HP people hase disabled this in bios, and kept sata in AHCI mode only instead of IDE copmatability. In short to push Vista. ALl the drivers can be had from different manufacturers. all you need to know is the company that makes them.

Like wifi is made mostly by intel broadcom, atheros. similarly card reader is made ny riccoh, TI etc.
Old 28th April 2009, 22:02   #1734
BHPian

Quote:
Oh my god! I saw the Acer Aspire 1 and it sucks! Very tacky and lousy finishing. I have to get back to more research now...next up is the Samsung netbook...
I would strongly suggest the Asus EEE PC when it comes to Netbooks, as they are the best in that segment and also great VFM. The 1000HE series is highly rated among all.

Check out the review for this Netbook at Notebookreview
Old 28th April 2009, 22:21   #1735
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam003 View Post

As mentioned by SirAlec, you cannot upgrade the inbuilt graphics card of laptops, if your laptop is used more as a desktop replacement then, you could try an external graphics card option but that's not a great idea.

When it comes to gaming, it's a combination of factors like the games you play, HDD speed, RAM, Screen Size etc. that make it run faster/slower.
For e.g. Flight Simulator X is a CPU intensive game which requires more processor speed than anything else.

Just by upgrading your graphics card (assuming it was feasible with laptops) would not have solved your problem.

So if you're looking at gaming, suggest you go for laptops specifically meant for it like the Dell XPS, Dell Studio XPS, ASUS G50 and not to forget Alienware man its my dream to own one though I personally own an ASUS G50.

Hope that helped!!!
Old 30th April 2009, 18:37   #1736
SRK
Senior - BHPian

I am planning to get my self a new laptop.
Earlier I used one from Toshiba Satellite seires (lasted for about 4-5yrs) but now it is giving me some problems.
1st the harddisk crashed taking away with it all the data and all my designs.
2nd the battery doesn't work.
3rd the CD/DVD rom doesn't function.

So now I need your help in choosing a new one since I don't have much knowledge about computers. The only thing I know is the bigger the numbers, the faster the computer and more expensive it is.
I want it to run 3d & design softwares (pro-e,solidworks,photoshop,etc.) and all other basic functions(movies,music,office,etc.)

Heres what I have shortlisted.
DELL STUDIO 15 with following specifications:
Intel Core 2 Duo Processor T6400 (can someone explain me about this)
3GB 800MHz DDR2 SDRAM
320GB SATA HDD 5400rpm
512MB ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3450 (some help here too)

The salesperson at Croma (Bandra) quoted the price around Rs. 48000/-.(can I get a better deal somewhere else?)

Questions:
1.)Is it possible to get the Graphics card (ATI) upgraded later on. (the salesperson said it was not possible)
2.)Can I upgrade the RAM later on (it can be maxed upto 8GB)

Any other alternative with similar specifications?
Old 30th April 2009, 19:41   #1737
Senior - BHPian

@SRK- Its a good laptop.
However price is on higher side i feel.
There is a t-bhp member who can help you getting a good deal.
You can pm him- his handle is devarshi84
Old 1st May 2009, 00:21   #1738
Senior - BHPian

@SRK, here is the real experience my friend had with Dell Studio 15

Quote:
Its not even one month I bought this dell studio laptop its started giving problems. Its actually within one week time that I got this problem. My laptop was not booting. So I called the tech support and she tried to help over the phone which in the end was not fruitful. She said I need to replace my motherboard. I am like what the hell its not even one month and she is telling me replace the motherboard. So she decided to send the technician to my place. Technician came and did whatever he was told to do and fixed it. Well he spent more than 2 to 3 hours to fix that. Because after putting the new motherboard, it was still giveing some error messages in booting. But somehow he fixed it. Within 24 hours, the problem started again. It was not able to boot. I called tech support again. This time the representative is saying to replace the hard disk.I said you better replace the laptop with a new one. He said he will transfer me to a laptop replacement department. In between this, there were so many times the call was dropped. Finally I reached this so called replacement department. The representative said she is in customer care and as per terms and conditions of dell, they cannot replace a laptop. I am regretting myself now for buying Dell Studio 15
Latest update:
Quote:
After spending countless hours talking to Dell customer support and visits by technician to replace the hdd, it was found that the issue is with Vista Ultimate auto update. Called up MS tech support and the support guy tried his hand with remote assistance but to no avail.
Finally, Dell is asking me to disable auto update as the solution. They say, the new SP is due for vista and the issue should be resolved. I feel cheated for paying 6k extra over the cost of Vista Home for Vista Ultimate.
Having said this, I use dell both at home and office and have not faced any problems. So, I would like to believe that the issue my friend is facing is indeed an issue with the Vista Ultimate and not the laptop as such.

- Jag
Old 1st May 2009, 17:28   #1739
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRK View Post
The salesperson at Croma (Bandra) quoted the price around Rs. 48000/-.(can I get a better deal somewhere else?)

Questions:
1.)Is it possible to get the Graphics card (ATI) upgraded later on. (the salesperson said it was not possible)
2.)Can I upgrade the RAM later on (it can be maxed upto 8GB)

Any other alternative with similar specifications?
1. Yes, Dell direct will always give you a better deal than a store - Learn about Dell's notebooks, laptops, desktops, monitors, printers plus computer electronics & accessories.

2. AFAIK, it's not possible to replace a graphics card in a laptop.

3. Yes the RAM can be upgraded later.

4. If you don't need the 15" screen size, then the Studio 14 with the same config is an option for about the same money.
Old 1st May 2009, 19:04   #1740
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
1. Yes, Dell direct will always give you a better deal than a store - Learn about Dell's notebooks, laptops, desktops, monitors, printers plus computer electronics & accessories.

2. AFAIK, it's not possible to replace a graphics card in a laptop.

3. Yes the RAM can be upgraded later.

4. If you don't need the 15" screen size, then the Studio 14 with the same config is an option for about the same money.
1. A quick check there online did not yield an advantage over the Chroma price even before adding VAT etc.

2. This is the maximum RAM they are offering for the graphics card online.

3. The 8GB option is more than thirty thousand rupees over the standard 3 GB RAM.

4. Never checked there.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks