Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th November 2013, 14:29   #3931
BHPian

re: THE Laptop Thread: Configs, deals and questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
One quickie. I have just got the 14" Lenovo Flex 2 for my son. The point is how do we get the free upgrade to Win 8.1?
Windows 8.1 upgrade is offered from MS app store. From the start screen, go to Microsoft store and you will not miss the win 8.1 upgrade tile.

In case of internet disconnect, the download starts from where it was left.
Old 20th November 2013, 12:00   #3932
BHPian

What Laptop software would you recommend for converting .MKV files to .AVI that works on the PS3.? Right now i am using Divx Plus converter but its screwing up the audio for some reason.

Thanks
Old 20th November 2013, 13:40   #3933
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond_dawg View Post
What Laptop software would you recommend for converting .MKV files to .AVI that works on the PS3.? Right now i am using Divx Plus converter but its screwing up the audio for some reason.
I use FLV-AVI from Pazera. A freebie, but is DOS based (coes into command shell automatically) but works very nicely.
Old 20th November 2013, 14:24   #3934
BHPian

Use Freemake video converter.
Its free and has settings for ps3.
Also alternative option streaming through ps3 media server.
Old 21st November 2013, 23:37   #3935
BHPian

I need to buy 2 laptops for family members in India. Requirement is just basic browsing, light game play and video chat. Laptops will be mostly used in the house and will be stationary most of the time. I am buying laptops in USA and they will be used in India, so international warranty is must.

Any suggestions for such basic laptops under $400? I found this on Best Buy - http://www.bestbuy.com/site/toshiba-...2#tab=overview for $299.

The specs are good on paper. Any ideas?
Old 24th November 2013, 21:09   #3936
Distinguished - BHPian

DELL STUDIO 1555 getting hot

I am facing the heating problem with our home lappy from as long as i remember. It gets really hot at the bottom as well as in the area of touch pad and around it.I cant keep it on my lap without risking my ... . This happens irrespective of whether running of the battery or charger.Although on charger the heating is more. I opened the area underneath to see what is there that is getting so hot but could not find anything tangible that could lead to heating. Any idea what could be the problem? The heat sinks and blower are at the back of the lappy and are clear of dust or any obstruction
Old 24th November 2013, 23:05   #3937
BHPian

Re: DELL STUDIO 1555 getting hot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandhi View Post
I need to buy 2 laptops for family members in India. Requirement is just basic browsing, light game play and video chat. Any suggestions for such basic laptops under $400? I found this on Best Buy - http://www.bestbuy.com/site/toshiba-...2#tab=overview for $299.
The processor isn't a Core i3, but is lower (Pentium branded processors lie between the Core i3 and Celeron branded processors). The RAM is more than enough though. For light processing, people prefer an AMD processor with a touchscreen or a Core i3 Haswell and integrated Intel graphics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
I am facing the heating problem with our home lappy from as long as i remember. It gets really hot at the bottom as well as in the area of touch pad and around it. Any idea what could be the problem?
It must be the ambient temperature. Does this happen when using it in the early hours of the morning too? I have an old Thinkpad that used to have a thermal shutdown during the powercuts of the summers in South India. There is usually nothing generating heat under the touchpad so it must be the heat accumulation - the rear is well-ventilated but not the front. Try posting on the manufacturer's FaceBook page or contact their customer support helpdesk to get to the root of the problem.
Old 24th November 2013, 23:44   #3938
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond_dawg View Post

Thanks
Use 4VideoSoft. Works great day in and day out. But it is not free.

cheers
Old 25th November 2013, 21:37   #3939
Distinguished - BHPian

I've been using a Lenovo G450 with Intel Pentium(R) Dual Core T4300 2.10GHz with 4GB RAM and Windows7 64 bit Home Premium for last 4 years. Lately, I have been having few issues like
1:- Out of 3 USB ports, 1 has broken, other one has stopped working.
2:- Overheating
3:- Its become quite slow ( Noticed when I used my cousin's laptop a few days back! )
4:- A few broken keys
5:- Optical drive not working.

Now I plan to buy a laptop. So I'll put forth a few questions for the experts.
1:- I wish to take a laptop with about 13inch screen size.
2:- Should have a minimum of 4GB RAM. (Can I slot in another RAM to new laptop from my old DELL laptop which is not working, motherboard is gone.)
3:- Preferably Windows7
4:- Cost under 30k.

Optical drive is not required. I guess i'm asking for too much

Have searched and found Lenovo IdeaPad S300 series fitting the bill except the OS.
Old 2nd December 2013, 22:24   #3940
BHPian

Guys, I'm looking to buy a laptop at the price range of around Rs. 30,000.

My requirements are

1. Will be used for image editing and video editing, also for regular browsing

2. Should be as light as possible and should have good battery backup

3. Should be durable and should have good service support

The last I bought a PC was almost 8 years back and at the moment I'm not aware of any of the recent technologies. Please let me know the suitable models and also where to buy them. let me know of offers also, if any. Thanks!
Old 2nd December 2013, 23:15   #3941
BHPian

I picked a Dell Inspiron 15z, i5 Processor, 6 GB RAM, 500GB HDD+32GB SSD, Windows 8 (upgradable to 8.1), Touchscreen and dell call it a Ultrabook (no where near the genuine Ultrabooks)

http://www.dell.com/us/p/inspiron-15...en&s=dhs&cs=19

Picked it for USD 399+taxes = USD 431 (Approx 28,000 INR) from Microsoft Store during Thanksgiving sale.
Old 3rd December 2013, 11:14   #3942
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakchiniwal View Post
I picked a Dell Inspiron 15z, i5 Processor, 6 GB RAM, 500GB HDD+32GB SSD, Windows 8 (upgradable to 8.1), Touchscreen and dell call it a Ultrabook (no where near the genuine Ultrabooks)

http://www.dell.com/us/p/inspiron-15...en&s=dhs&cs=19

Picked it for USD 399+taxes = USD 431 (Approx 28,000 INR) from Microsoft Store during Thanksgiving sale.
Does it come with India warranty? How will you manage if something goes wrong? Send it back to US?

Can you extend the warranty (2nd & 3rd year) and make it India specific?
Old 3rd December 2013, 12:23   #3943
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffHanger View Post

My requirements are

The last I bought a PC was almost 8 years back and at the moment I'm not aware of any of the recent technologies. Please let me know the suitable models and also where to buy them. let me know of offers also, if any. Thanks!
Did you buy anything yet? Assuming you haven’t, may I suggest a model from the Lenovo Essential B490 series?

I am currently using a Core i3 spec'd B490 since the last 4 months and it has never let me down. Of course, my usage is a lot different from yours but there are different specs from the B490 series that may suit you. The laptop is extremely rugged and built similar to their Thinkpad lineup. For 28k and an additional 2.4k for a stick of 4GB RAM, the laptop is now my regular workhorse for browsing, editing those occasional photos on Picasa, video editing on Handbrake and 24x7 downloads. The laptop has been switched on permanently since day 1 and there has not been any issues of overheating, random shutdowns or anything of that sort. Yes, all laptops tend to become a bit sluggish after a period of usage and requires periodic maintenance. Physical too! The vents would be clogged with dirt and dust and have to be cleaned from time to time to avoid overheating but this is just a walk in the park if you have the necessary tools.

If you can spend a bit more and get an SSD, your laptop will be lightning quick in most day-to-day apps. I did not put one in mine since it stays on 24x7.

I have laid down some initial impressions of the laptop on a different forum. You can read about it here - TE

Flipkart is currently running discounts on their laptops. eBay could also be cheaper if you have discount coupons.

2 caveats here:

1. Customer support is a mixed bag - some have had very good support with Lenovo whereas some others not. Fortunately I did not have the need to use their support. Yet!

2. The laptop is not exactly light weight (not definitely in the league of the Ultrabooks) but not exactly heavy either. It is durable and rugged in build quality compared to the others that retail in this price bracket. As far as build quality goes, this is as good as the HP Probook and Dell Latitude mobile workstations.
Old 3rd December 2013, 13:55   #3944
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffHanger View Post

My requirements are

1. This calls for a lot of CPU and GPU power. I doubt you will get any thing remotely within your budget.

2. Here again, the lighter it is the more expensive it gets.

3. Durability depends both on your usage and on the length of ownership. If you are careful and want to keep it less than three years, then there is no problem. But with field use a lot of travel and long term ownership you require a premier product.

All said and done your specifications point to a mobile work station, either from Lenovo (T/W/X series) or Dell or HP These start at 60K and end at 200K+. Please go their respective sites and browse the specifications.
http://shopap.lenovo.com/in/en/lapto...w-series/w530/
http://www8.hp.com/in/en/products/laptops/index.html?facet=Business|Sophisticated-image#!view=column&page=1&facet=Business
http://search.ap.dell.com/results.as...le+workstation

So either you think about the specifications or be prepared to pay at least twice your budget amount.
Old 3rd December 2013, 18:31   #3945
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemi_kk View Post
- Ram - Atleast 6 GB (Pick laptop having 1600Mhz ram).
I ordered DELL Inspiron 15R-5537 today and will be getting the delivery tomorrow. Configuration is 4 Gen i5 CPU / Win 8 / 6 GB RAM / 1 TB HDD / 2GB Video Card. Could not get 8 GB in i5 based laptops but is only available for i7 based laptops. Per DELL, the one I ordered can be upgraded to 8 GB later. The cost is Rs. 50190.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
Fortunately, cost in Zero. You can begin with "Express" versions that are free and Legal.
I will install .net 4.0, VS 2010 Express, SQL Server 2008 Express this week.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks