Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th March 2014, 11:29   #4066
BHPian

re: THE Laptop Thread: Configs, deals and questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakmuzik View Post
Friends,

I'm a student architect and am on the lookout for a new laptop. I'l have to run multiple design software's simultaneously and require something that can handle it well. Budget is upto 80k.

I'm pretty much totally unaware of the brands but have heard Toshiba and Sony to be pretty reliable. Seems Lenovo and Dell has more complaints than the rest. And how about HP? Please suggest something suitable.

Thank you
For a designer, I would suggest the Mac. Get it and have a peace of mind. Stretch your budget and get the 13-inch retina. Its the best out there. For other options, Asus has a good option at the same price and with good battery levels!
Old 29th March 2014, 13:33   #4067
BHPian

Has anyone here experience with the HCL brand? Wanted to buy my wife a i5 based laptop and got to know that HCL has a similarly specced machine.I know that for laptops,parts are all imported, but wanted to buy an Indian brand if possible.I'm also worried about the after sales service.
Old 29th March 2014, 14:01   #4068
BANNED

I'm thinning about getting the Lenovo Y510p. The i5 model. How're the experiences with lenovo ?
It's the only brand/model that's giving a 1080p display at this price. 1366 is just not acceptable now.

For the designer query, why not the Y510p with the Quad-Core i7 ?
Old 29th March 2014, 23:16   #4069
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilwearsprada View Post
For a designer, I would suggest the Mac. Get it and have a peace of mind. Stretch your budget and get the 13-inch retina. Its the best out there. For other options, Asus has a good option at the same price and with good battery levels!
Mac is damn expensive though I still prefer it over others. But the 13 inch comes with an i5 and not an i7 right? And I currently use an ASUS lap. It just works fine but the battery had to be replaced in two years and it just doesn't last well. So I'm a little worried.

Quote:
Originally Posted by H_Dogg72 View Post
I'm thinning about getting the Lenovo Y510p. The i5 model. How're the experiences with lenovo ?
It's the only brand/model that's giving a 1080p display at this price. 1366 is just not acceptable now.

For the designer query, why not the Y510p with the Quad-Core i7 ?
I heard that's a good lap. How about Lenovo's reliability and service? Are they good?
Old 30th March 2014, 11:04   #4070
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by H_Dogg72 View Post
How're the experiences with lenovo ?
Quote:
How about Lenovo's reliability and service? Are they good?
I guess you guys missed the previous page of this thread. Head back and have a read.
Old 31st March 2014, 12:04   #4071
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nijelj View Post
Has anyone here experience with the HCL brand? .I'm also worried about the after sales service.
Since I think none of us bhp-ians own an HCL laptop, I thought I'd check out 'mouthshut' reviews.Turns out the majority had a bad experience with it.So I guess will settle for a 'phoren' brand
Old 31st March 2014, 16:09   #4072
BHPian

Quote:
Since I think none of us bhp-ians own an HCL laptop, I thought I'd check out 'mouthshut' reviews.Turns out the majority had a bad experience with it.So I guess will settle for a 'phoren' brand
I have a HCL netbook which is nothing but some chinese make that is rebranded as HCL. I guess there are plenty of vendors who sell such notebooks/netbooks around the world.

Performance wise, I had no issues with it. Since nothing went wrong, I did not have to visit the service centers. The battery (Clevo M1100) in the meantime died and now I am facing a hard time sourcing its replacement here in India. I ordered a replacement battery from HCL, but they cheated me by sending a 3 cell battery and this 3 cell battery died within 6 months. I think I had paid 11.5K for the netbook (due to some deal, when the actual price was around 14k) and another 3K for the battery in the 3 years of its ownership. It came with a win7 starter edition & MS Office 2010 lite version officially. I will shortly order a replacement battery online so that I can continue to use the handy netbook for light activities like browsing, video chatting etc.

So, better stick to laptop brands & models which have proper spares & support locally.
Old 31st March 2014, 18:05   #4073
BHPian

Quote:
And placed an order on snapdeal for a sony vaio for 42k
Old 3rd April 2014, 14:15   #4074
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Friends,

I'm a student architect and am on the lookout for a new laptop. I'l have to run multiple design software's simultaneously and require something that can handle it well. Budget is upto 80k.

Requirements:

1) i7 processor
2) NVIDIA Graphics card
3) Should be usable for atleast 4 years
4) If the graphics card, etc can be updated, then great

I'm pretty much totally unaware of the brands but have heard Toshiba and Sony to be pretty reliable. Seems Lenovo and Dell has more complaints than the rest. And how about HP? Please suggest something suitable.

Thank you
I doubt that you will get all the features, as well as 4 years life in your budget. Search the net for "Mobile Workstation". HP, IBM Thinkpad and Dell have them, but they are quite expensive.

Sony has a very patchy service record, so I would stay away from it. If you have an HP service centre near you, then you may try HP work stations. I always was and am a Thinkpad fan, and they have good service (at least walk in) in the Metros.
Old 3rd April 2014, 14:16   #4075
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
I always was and am a Thinkpad fan, and they have good service (at least walk in) in the Metros.
I find Thinkpad's service to be very average in Bombay - Dell on the other hand used to be good, no idea about now.
Old 3rd April 2014, 20:24   #4076
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilwearsprada View Post
Was looking at it too. But ridiculously priced for an i5 processor,etc. Though I love Mac's sturdy and reliable nature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
I guess you guys missed the previous page of this thread. Head back and have a read.
Hah. Thank you! No Lenovos. Asked some of my buddies and almost all had the same opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
I doubt that you will get all the features, as well as 4 years life in your budget. Search the net for "Mobile Workstation". HP, IBM Thinkpad and Dell have them, but they are quite expensive.

Sony has a very patchy service record, so I would stay away from it. If you have an HP service centre near you, then you may try HP work stations. I always was and am a Thinkpad fan, and they have good service (at least walk in) in the Metros.
Hmm. How about Dell Alienware? Have been hearing great reviews from some of my friends.
Thank you guys.
Old 4th April 2014, 12:49   #4077
BHPian

Hello guys,

I am planning to buy a Dell Inspiron 14 7000 series laptop with the following configuration
- i7 processor
- 8 Gig RAM
- 2 Gig Video card
- 1 TB SDD

The online price in Dell site shows around 84K, but the same is listed @ 58 K in best buy USA.

My questions

- reviews / comments from any users who have used this product ?
- are there any pitfalls in buying this from US ?
- any issues/problems with warranty or parts availability ?

Though the price difference makes it a no brainer, I don't want to face any issues going forward once I get the same.
Old 5th April 2014, 18:26   #4078
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Was looking at it too. But ridiculously priced for an i5 processor,etc. Though I love Mac's sturdy and reliable nature.

Hah. Thank you! No Lenovos. Asked some of my buddies and almost all had the same opinion.

Hmm. How about Dell Alienware? Have been hearing great reviews from some of my friends.
Thank you guys.
If you think that Mobile workstations are expensive, then you will get a shock when you see the Alienware prices. Good and reliable professional systems cost at least twice of what you can assemble at home, add another doubling for Laptops.
Old 5th April 2014, 18:47   #4079
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anoop_SG View Post
Hello guys,

I am planning to buy a Dell Inspiron 14 7000 series laptop with the following configuration
- i7 processor
- 8 Gig RAM
- 2 Gig Video card
- 1 TB SDD

The online price in Dell site shows around 84K, but the same is listed @ 58 K in best buy USA.

My questions

- reviews / comments from any users who have used this product ?
- are there any pitfalls in buying this from US ?
- any issues/problems with warranty or parts availability ?

Though the price difference makes it a no brainer, I don't want to face any issues going forward once I get the same.
That is a good configuration laptop. Dell is known for its reliability and you can safely rely on this brand. The same model laptop is available in India, so there will not be any issues in replacing the parts. There could be an issue with the warranty though. My suggestion would be to check if Dell is providing international warranty support with some minor extra cost.

My rule of thumb while buying products from US: If a product is having some manufacturing defect, it would be visible within 10-15 days of good usage itself. If it does not shows any issues in that period, there are very less chances that it may show any manufacturing defect in due course as well.

I have got my 40'' LED 3D Tv, DSLR, PS3, MacBook Pro all bought from US using the above usage principle and I have never ever gone to any shops for any service or repair so far. Everything is right now more than 2-3 years old.

It is highly recommended that you use the product in US for first few days and then bring it over here. In case you find any defect, go for the replacement there itself.

Good Luck!!
Old 11th April 2014, 12:23   #4080
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurminder_81 View Post
That is a good configuration laptop. Dell is known for its reliability and you can safely rely on this brand. The same model laptop is available in India, so there will not be any issues in replacing the parts. There could be an issue with the warranty though. My suggestion would be to check if Dell is providing international warranty support with some minor extra cost.

My rule of thumb while buying products from US: If a product is having some manufacturing defect, it would be visible within 10-15 days of good usage itself. If it does not shows any issues in that period, there are very less chances that it may show any manufacturing defect in due course as well.

I have got my 40'' LED 3D Tv, DSLR, PS3, MacBook Pro all bought from US using the above usage principle and I have never ever gone to any shops for any service or repair so far. Everything is right now more than 2-3 years old.

It is highly recommended that you use the product in US for first few days and then bring it over here. In case you find any defect, go for the replacement there itself.

Good Luck!!
Thank you gurminder,

I have since then decided to change the config to the following :

- i5 processor
- 6 GB RAM
- 1 TB HDD
- 2 GB Graphics card
- 15 '' Touch screen

The reason for changing is due to the following :
- slightly bigger screen
- ethernet port availability
- 12K cheaper than 14''
- I really don't need an i7 due to my usage pattern
- Slightly better battery back up

I have asked my friend to get the laptop and use it for few days based on your advice.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks