Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 11th April 2014, 19:33   #4081
BHPian

re: THE Laptop Thread: Configs, deals and questions

Check Lenovo Y510p model which suits your requirements pretty much. It was for $1100 recently in US (with dedicated 2GB graphics, 32GB or so SSD drive etc) which I felt was a value buy for that specification.
Old 12th April 2014, 11:37   #4082
rbp
BHPian

Slightly OT.

My brother is looking at buying 12 AIO [All In One] desktops for this office. We have zeroed in on Lenovo, but I have no idea about their service. How good is Lenovo's service compared to Dell? Any feedback is appreciated.
Old 12th April 2014, 12:10   #4083
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14000rpm View Post
I am on the lookout for a replacement to my office laptop.

needs -
Light weight
6- 8 hrs battery life
slim
SSD
upto 900 € cost ( in Germany)

would like -

Convertible - Tablet/PC.

Basically I am looking for a PC- Tablet Ultrabook.

I, like many, looked at the Lenovo Yoga. While browsing through this thread, I also got recommendations for Dell XPS 12 & Sony Duo Ultrabook.

My usage -

MS Office, Internet. nothing heavy.
My company chose to give me a Dell E7240. pretty decent actually.

Highlight :
sleek and small
light weight
SSD
battery life of 4- 5 hrs with WiFi and heavy usage (videos et al) / 6-8 hrs constant usage without WiFi (no Videos).

lowlight :

bad keyboard. Just doesn't feel good.
Has only Mini Display Port. I travel a lot and see a lot of meeting rooms. Most still use VGA and others use Either HDMi or Displayport (larger).

I have to now carry around adaptors.

all in all, I recommend this for Business travel usage.

Note - I will be getting yet another office laptop next month. this time it is a HP EliteBook Revolve 810 Tablet.

Will give my feedback when I get the computer and use it a bit.
Old 15th April 2014, 06:54   #4084
Senior - BHPian

Which of the following is better for Best Battery Life?
1) Keep working on AC Power after the Battery got Fully Charged.
2) Turn OFF the AC Mains (but the Cable connected) after the Battery got Fully Charged, use the Battery juice till the latter drops to 20-25% level and again Switch ON the AC Mains.
Old 15th April 2014, 11:45   #4085
BHPian

@ IndigoXLGrandDi
Ideally you should disconnect and let the battery discharge almost completely and then switch on again , as per step 2 . This is good to prolong your battery life
Old 15th April 2014, 16:01   #4086
BANNED

Now looking for another one. We have three Lenovo Flex2 (14", i5, touch) in the family, my son, son-in-law and yours truly. Now my daughter-in-law's Acer Timeline (13", Core 2 solo) has packed up. We need a replacement - preferably 14", i5 and Non Touch. Our grandson (2 years) plays with the Laptop and the Screen so Touch can become dicey. Win 8.1 of course.
Old 15th April 2014, 22:29   #4087
Senior - BHPian

When the Battery gets discharged, should the laptop be switched off and charged till full? Or is it equally good using the laptop (working on it) while charging?

Almost completely means 5% is Okay?
Old 16th April 2014, 07:49   #4088
BHPian

Looking for a budget but robust laptop, for general browsing and youtTube for home . Robust since I have a 2 year old son, who has already broken lenovo , first the hinges, then hard disk and now motherboard.
Was planning to go for Dell Vostro 2520 (15", Pentium dual core, 500 GB, Ubuntu). Any first hand reviews on this one http://www.flipkart.com/dell-vostro-...MDS2DGF7FRTK93
Old 28th April 2014, 13:49   #4089
Senior - BHPian

Ok so everytime I zero in on a particular Lenovo laptop, I'm not able to find that particular model in the physical market.

I'm looking for a high performance laptop at 50k (max). I'm not keen on a particular brand but it should be easily available in the outside retail market.

If the laptop is modern, sleek and flexes etc. then I'm ready to sacrifice a little bit on performance front otherwise a dud looking laptop but high on performance works equally well.

What are my options? I don't want to zero down anything based on flipkart because a lot of obsolete models continue to sell on it and when I go out, say at Croma Retail or Vijay Sales, they are nowhere to be found.
Old 30th April 2014, 12:00   #4090
BHPian

I use a Samsung RV509 bought in 2011 and it works fine but a couple of times off late I've noticed the laptop shutting down on its own due to over heating (happens when I've connected the charger, doing my work while copying movies, etc from an external disk in the background).

Looking to buy a new cooling pad. Which model would be best suited for this laptop? I've attached a pic of the underside of my laptop (pic taken off Google) so please suggest accordingly
Attached Thumbnails
The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions-66682695_5_644x461_samsungrv509pavlodarskayaoblast.jpg  

Old 30th April 2014, 12:33   #4091
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangeWizard View Post
I've noticed the laptop shutting down on its own due to over heating
If you are into DIY, I’d suggest you to open up the laptop and clean the heatsink using a used/discarded toothbrush and a hand blower. Not the electric type (even this would do but unnecessary here) but the hand operated one. Generates sufficient throw of air to kick the dust and dirt clogged in the heatsink vents.

You can also take the laptop to a service center and they will do it for you for a price. Barely takes half an hour but makes a world of difference to the CPU/GPU temperatures once you do this. This is usually a routine maintenance task and has to be done at least once a year to prevent overheating.

You’d be surprised to see a new ecosystem that has formed around the vents with dust, hair and what not. Like these:

The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions-c01658911.jpg The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions-dscf0581.jpg

Name:  dust_clogged_fan.png
Views: 964
Size:  322.9 KB

The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions-laptopheat.jpg

I have never used a cooling pad so I cannot recommend one. Take care not to block the vents beneath the laptop when you use it atop a bed/pillow or such.
Old 3rd May 2014, 15:27   #4092
BHPian

I was just looking small portable laptops - so called netbooks, which have lost flavour with the arrival of the tablets
Looking at just basic computing tasks, internet browsing and maybe watching a movie sometime with the machine.
Budget around 25k; 10 or 11 inch models
The options include
1)Lenovo Ideapad Flex 10 (59-408507) - Intel Pentium N3520/2GB RAM
2)ASUS X102BA - DF039H - AMD Temash A4-1200/2GB RAM
3)Stretching my budget a little would mean ASUS Tranformer book T100TA-DK005H - Intel Atom Z3740/2GB RAM

Any other suggestions are welcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
I picked the the flex 10 just last month.
Very capable machine for run of he mill stuff.
outlook, excel, word, firefox, bitlord all run concurrently without any issues at all.
Touchscreen is a whiz to use.
Howver, anything heavier sort of puts it into shame mode. I converted a video from mkv to mp4 last night, and it behaved about as slow as lappys did with vista.
Can you please update your review of the Lenovo Flex 10, as I might just end up buying this one. I'm just a little concerned with the service and reliability issues with Lenovo also.
Old 7th May 2014, 17:59   #4093
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

Advice required

I want to buy a nice simple trouble free standard Windows based laptop computer for my father. I don't want to spend big bucks on this- say 25K max.

Basic Requirements are:
1. Good Processor speed
2. Good RAM availability
3. 500GB HDD for tons of storage
4. Windows 7 or 8 is fine

I wonder about the following:
1.If one buys a good netbook, can it behave as a proper laptop if one hooks up an external HDD and accesses data that way?
2. If yes, then which netbook should we look at?

Pricing:
1.Which Online shop should I consider?
2.Or is a physical store likely to give me better pricing?

Any advice at all on the above will be of great help.
Old 7th May 2014, 19:34   #4094
Senior - BHPian

For a hassle free buying and ownership experience, I would recommend Dell. Specifically their Vostro series from the small office/home office range and buy with 3 year on site accident cover warranty.

The starting model should meet all of your criterion, the add on warranty though will push up the price.

Deal directly with Dell via email or phone. The prices posted by their online partner compuindia (IIRC) seem to be on the higher side.

The home range which is the Inspiron series is definitely feature rich but starts at 30K i.e. 5K more than the Vostro.

Amongst the others, have had a hassle free experience with Toshiba's Satellite Pro series but that one was bought online from Toshiba.com and shipped here via courier. This was about 4 years ago, never needed the warranty except for a battery change which was sourced locally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Advice required

I want to buy a nice simple trouble free standard Windows based laptop computer for my father. I don't want to spend big bucks on this- say 25K max.

Basic Requirements are:
1. Good Processor speed
2. Good RAM availability
3. 500GB HDD for tons of storage
4. Windows 7 or 8 is fine

I wonder about the following:
1.If one buys a good netbook, can it behave as a proper laptop if one hooks up an external HDD and accesses data that way?
2. If yes, then which netbook should we look at?

Pricing:
1.Which Online shop should I consider?
2.Or is a physical store likely to give me better pricing?

Any advice at all on the above will be of great help.
Old 7th May 2014, 20:16   #4095
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
For a hassle free buying and ownership experience, I would recommend Dell. Specifically their Vostro series from the small office/home office range and buy with 3 year on site accident cover warranty.
I second this. Dell makes VFM computers and has one of the best after sales service.

Most Viewed