Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th March 2014, 23:38   #4036
BHPian

re: THE Laptop Thread: Configs, deals and questions

Hello folks,

I am in the market for a new laptop. Will be mainly using it for AutoCad (and maybe Catia sometimes) apart from the usual movies, surfing, etc.

I have narrowed down on HP Pav m4 1003tx (3rd gen i5/4gb ram/ 2 gb Nvidia GeForce GT 730Mg raphics card/14 inch screen). Its listed on flipkart for 48,990/-. Chose this as its easy to carry around. Hopefully smaller screen= relatively higher battery life.

Would like to know:
1) How is HP's after sales? I have heard positive reviews about Dell. Yet to hear anything about HP.
2) I was looking for the extended warranty scheme which was available a few days earlier. Not listed on flipart. Is the extended warranty scheme still available?
3) Is 4 gb ram sufficient for AutoCad/Catia?

Any other suggestions wrt models?

Did not find this model in Croma. Would help if anyone from Bangalore could guide me to a shop where this model is available.
Thanks.

Last edited by Me-hul : 4th March 2014 at 23:45.
Old 5th March 2014, 09:18   #4037
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me-hul View Post
Hello folks,

I am in the market for a new laptop. Will be mainly using it for AutoCad (and maybe Catia sometimes) apart from the usual movies, surfing, etc.

I have narrowed down on HP Pav m4 1003tx (3rd gen i5/4gb ram/ 2 gb Nvidia GeForce GT 730Mg raphics card/14 inch screen). Its listed on flipkart for 48,990/-. Chose this as its easy to carry around. Hopefully smaller screen= relatively higher battery life.

Would like to know:
1) How is HP's after sales? I have heard positive reviews about Dell. Yet to hear anything about HP.
2) I was looking for the extended warranty scheme which was available a few days earlier. Not listed on flipart. Is the extended warranty scheme still available?
3) Is 4 gb ram sufficient for AutoCad/Catia?

Any other suggestions wrt models?

Did not find this model in Croma. Would help if anyone from Bangalore could guide me to a shop where this model is available.
Thanks.

Why dont you have a look at the Lenovo G series. Good VFM.
Also as read on the forums and also theough a friend the laptops are cheaper at their retail centre rather than online.
Strange but true.
Old 5th March 2014, 23:35   #4038
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manas27587 View Post
Why dont you have a look at the Lenovo G series. Good VFM.
Also as read on the forums and also theough a friend the laptops are cheaper at their retail centre rather than online.
Strange but true.

Thanks. I was a bit skeptical about Lenovo. No personal experiences here but based on the reviews.

Lenovo G series does look good with specs. How about the after sales & heating issue?
Old 6th March 2014, 09:42   #4039
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me-hul View Post
Thanks. I was a bit skeptical about Lenovo. No personal experiences here but based on the reviews.

Lenovo G series does look good with specs. How about the after sales & heating issue?

Sorry buddy.
But no experiences on this front.
Have always been a loyal owner of a Dell.
My friend has recently purchased the g505 on my recommendation and loved the laptop.
Old 6th March 2014, 22:55   #4040
BHPian

Quote:

Sorry buddy.
But no experiences on this front.
Have always been a loyal owner of a Dell.
My friend has recently purchased the g505 on my recommendation and loved the laptop.
I had been to Croma today. I was offered HP Envy Spectre 14-3012tu ultrabook( i7 2nd gen, 4gb ddr3 , 1.7 GB on board graphics card, 128gb ssd, beats audio, full HD screen) for 55k. MRP is 76000/-. Catch here is it was a display piece from past 8-10 months.The model is now discontinued though. Checked it properly . No signs of abuse or damage found.

Loved the laptop. Beautiful design, esp the screen. Brilliant full HD display. Lovely Apple-esque keyboard.

My only concern here is the battery. I assume the screen would be in switched-on condition for atleast 12 hours everyday. Will this have any affect on the screen in the long run?

They have assured 1yr mfg warranty along with an option to increase it to 3 years. What do you guys suggest? Should I go ahead with this deal?
Old 7th March 2014, 04:20   #4041
BHPian

The battery carries a warranty of 6 months if i am not mistaken.
Would be better if u requested a swap of the battery.
Old 7th March 2014, 12:02   #4042
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by idea View Post
Folks

Do not buy Laptops especially Dell from online portals like Ebay.in, Amazon.in. Though, seller claims it has manufacturer warrenty.

This is not applicable if Seller is Providing a Proper invoice with tax details etc. However, mostly these seller dont provide it and sends only transaction slip with Ebay Logo etc. Pls note it is Not invoice and Dell/Lenovo Etc. doesnt entertain warrenty claims based on such sales. This applicable especially on laptop with other than english keybords like Thai etc.

My friend had this experience on Ebay. Dell Refused warrenty without invoice. (He just had Ebay transaction slip and seller never provided invoice even after repeated follow ups)

Raising flag for overall members benefit.
I bought a Vostro from flipkart and got speakers replaced under warranty from Dell - the flipkart invoice was all that was needed.

And for all purchases on ebay/flipkart/amazon - I do see they provide a split including the tax amount.

In case of ebay, sellers usually mention "seller warranty" and not "manufacturer warranty" - you need to send the laptop back to the seller for any type of defect etc. Did your friend approach ebay/seller to sort out the issue?

I bought my GNex from ebay at an awesome price and took this gamble of "seller warranty". 1.5 years into the ownership, I feel it paid off!
Old 7th March 2014, 12:14   #4043
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
I bought a Vostro from flipkart and got speakers replaced under warranty from Dell - the flipkart invoice was all that was needed.

And for all purchases on ebay/flipkart/amazon - I do see they provide a split including the tax amount.

In case of ebay, sellers usually mention "seller warranty" and not "manufacturer warranty" - you need to send the laptop back to the seller for any type of defect etc. Did your friend approach ebay/seller to sort out the issue?

I bought my GNex from ebay at an awesome price and took this gamble of "seller warranty". 1.5 years into the ownership, I feel it paid off!
Mine is "manufacturer warranty". Seller is Delisted from Ebay. I am with No Authentic Bill. Dell doesnt want to support warrenty. As per dell, it could be a DIRECT import piece and no import taxes paid.

No wonder Seller is Delisted from Ebay. But i am stuck.
Old 7th March 2014, 12:26   #4044
BHPian

Have anyone checked the offer on Flipkart on laptops. They are offering a minimum exchange bonus of Rs.6000. A good option it seems.
Old 7th March 2014, 13:21   #4045
BHPian

Quote:
The battery carries a warranty of 6 months if i am not mistaken.
Would be better if u requested a swap of the battery.
Yes. Will check if that's possible.

Thanks.
Old 7th March 2014, 14:32   #4046
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by idea View Post
Mine is "manufacturer warranty". Seller is Delisted from Ebay. I am with No Authentic Bill. Dell doesnt want to support warrenty. As per dell, it could be a DIRECT import piece and no import taxes paid.

No wonder Seller is Delisted from Ebay. But i am stuck.
That's unfortunate then if he promised you manufacturer warranty but didn't honor his word!

Is Dell not ready to work on it even if you agree to pay? Or is the quoted cost of repair very high?
Old 7th March 2014, 18:00   #4047
mxx
BHPian

Inspiron or Vostro.
I am planning to purchase a dell laptop. I have seen several configs, but one thing that confuses me is that, spec to spec, Inspiron and Vostro have almost similar pricing. So, I am not able to decide on which series to go. What is the real difference between the two? From the descriptions on dell site, I understand that they intend to market inspiron to home users and vostro to business users. But I dont see how it makes a real difference to the user.
Old 7th March 2014, 20:07   #4048
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxx View Post
Inspiron or Vostro.
I am planning to purchase a dell laptop. I have seen several configs, but one thing that confuses me is that, spec to spec, Inspiron and Vostro have almost similar pricing. So, I am not able to decide on which series to go. What is the real difference between the two? From the descriptions on dell site, I understand that they intend to market inspiron to home users and vostro to business users. But I dont see how it makes a real difference to the user.
Vostro range has awfully weak speakers. Don't buy Vostro if multimedia use is on your mind. See my above post, I had to get them replaced in warranty. Eventually I sold off the laptop before warranty got over.
Old 13th March 2014, 18:28   #4049
Senior - BHPian

Need to pickup a basic laptop for basic everyday functions (around $500).

Your thoughts on
  • i3 vs i5
  • touch vs non touch screen
  • Win 7 vs Win 8.1(anybody had bad experience with 8)
  • Popular brand vs whoever has the best package
  • 4 vs 6 GB RAM
  • Should I even entertain non-intel chips?

Last edited by Mpower : 14th March 2014 at 01:59.
Old 13th March 2014, 19:13   #4050
BANNED

I'd say i5
6 or 8gb is up-to you
Win 8 is okay-ish. You can demo it somewhere and then decide.
Difference between manufacturers is generally A.S.S. ,build quality and display.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks