Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th October 2013, 11:25   #3886
BHPian

re: THE Laptop Thread: Configs, deals and questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinuak View Post
I got email from Lenovo support saying the part has been dispatched to the center , but finally it took over a month for them to turn up and replace the faulty part and that too after numerous emails and phone calls.
Which part did they replace on your Lenovo? Was it within warranty?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
I have only experienced by laptops from HP. Apart from that all the problems I have seen are attributable to users - dropped, drenched, sat on etc.
In the late 1990s till mid 2000s, I bought Compaq laptops and they didn't last very long. They made it till just after the warranty expired though. None of the problems that I had were because of accidents. One issue was when a hinge was jammed so the laptop wouldn't shut. Compaq's policy was that they could only ship the hinge with another screen, which was priced at roughly 90% of that of the laptop. Another HP-Compaq laptop had a hard drive failure and a loose power connector on the motherboard.

At the time, I had colleagues with Dell laptops and they didn't fare any better. They either had issues with the keyboard and power adapter, but at least they were cheaper to fix.

I've never really had any issues with Thinkpads - they lasted well beyond the warranty period. The Thinkpad 600E lasted a decade before it was too under-powered to do much (blame it on Flash advertisements) and the Thinkpad T60 has been running for 7-8 years.
Old 11th October 2013, 13:28   #3887
BANNED

Just discovered that while my Asus K53S supports 5GHz WiFi a later one from Toshiba M840 with my wife Toshiba.
Old 11th October 2013, 14:16   #3888
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Well at least in Metros where IBM had its service centre Thinkpad service is excellent, but it is a walk in and not onsite.
In Mumbai, Lenovo's A. S. S. is pathetic. Lenovo took 8 weeks to replace a laptop mthoerboard (under warranty for a 7 month old laoptop).
Old 11th October 2013, 17:46   #3889
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_nitin_r View Post
Which part did they replace on your Lenovo? Was it within warranty?
The laptop is just 2 months old(well under warranty) and the motherboard had to be replaced due to a sound card issue. The problem cropped up within 3 weeks of usage and it tool almost a month for them to turn up and do the replacement.
Old 12th October 2013, 21:39   #3890
BHPian

Authorized Service Centre Experiences

Mods - Please feel free to merge if a similar thread already exists.

I wish to narrate my experience at InTarvo Tech (Koromangla, Bangalore) - authorized service center for Toshiba. I visited them with broken hinges of my two years old Toshiba laptop. The laptop was switching off anytime randomly. After leaving the laptop there for a week, the cost of repair of a 16k INR cost laptop was estimated around 10k INR. I politely refused to go for the repair and informed that I will pickup the laptop back without any repairs in 2 weeks since I was travelling.

Now comes the surprise - I visited the service centre today to pickup the laptop. After making me wait for about 1 hr and few attempts to cheat and lie, the service center manager informed me that they have by mistake repaired the laptop. They offered me a discount of 500-1000 rupees on the repair cost. I outright refused to pay anything and requested to the laptop to be returned in the same condition for 'no payment'. After a lot of haggling and discussions, the manager finally requested me to pay Rs. 4000 and receive the laptop (a discount of about Rs. 6000 on original estimate). They are ready to arrange a home delivery on Monday. They offer to remove all repairs and return in the same state otherwise.

It was a bad experience due to unprofessionalism of the service center employees. Should I still pay those 4k bucks and accept the delivery?

Using this opportunity to create a thread as a platform for BHPians to share their experiences at various authorized service centres.
Old 12th October 2013, 21:58   #3891
BHPian

Given quite a few experiences with broken hinges on laptop, I can say that it only gets worse with time ultimately the entire frame will break and constantly try to support it may lead to the LCD connectors getting damaged later on. I you ask me it's still a steal at 4,000. If it's a two year laptop you could still use it for a while. Strongly Suggest you get it done. After all toshiba is still in the higher end spectrum of business laptops.
Old 15th October 2013, 22:56   #3892
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abishek2222 View Post
Given quite a few experiences with broken hinges on laptop, I can say that it only gets worse with time ultimately the entire frame will break and constantly try to support it may lead to the LCD connectors getting damaged later on. I you ask me it's still a steal at 4,000. If it's a two year laptop you could still use it for a while. Strongly Suggest you get it done. After all toshiba is still in the higher end spectrum of business laptops.
Thanks Abhishek. Took your advice and accepted the laptop for 4k. I hope it serves well for next one year.
Old 16th October 2013, 07:19   #3893
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pahwa View Post
Thanks Abhishek. Took your advice and accepted the laptop for 4k. I hope it serves well for next one year.
Your welcome, fingers crossed.
Old 19th October 2013, 22:50   #3894
BHPian

Don't know whether to post it in the Tablet thread or the laptop thread. Yeah, basically in the market for a Hybrid I have had a Dell XPS 16 from 2009 and its got a bit long in the tooth. Although I have no complaints regarding its performance, Its rather big, heavy and bulky.

Looking for something light,powerful, portable and reliable. I really want to try out the Hybrid form factor without compromising on the priorities I mentioned. Basic research over the last week has led me to the Surface Pro 2 and the Lenovo Yoga 13 2 Pro.

Both have some really good reviews and I am left confused between these two models. Surface has the PEN Digitizer feature over the Yoga but the Yoga thumps it with its insanely brilliant screen. Probably Surface would have a better better life as well with a lower spec screen and a new battery cover.

Any advise which would tilt the balance either way would help Or is there any other model which is better than these 2 that I am missing out on?

Last edited by Kimified : 19th October 2013 at 22:51.
Old 21st October 2013, 20:58   #3895
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimified View Post
Don't know whether to post it in the Tablet thread or the laptop thread. Yeah, basically in the market for a Hybrid
I just thought I'd describe my search for a laptop - I started off wanting a hybrid, but the weight doesn't bother me so I just went in for a regular laptop with touch screen. I have a tablet that I used for every waking hour of the first week that I owned it and after the first month, I barely looked at it. I just turned it on earlier this week and it spend a while updating all the apps. My smart phone is used for a few hours in a week. However, my laptop is used every single day of the week so it made sense for me to cut the funding for another tablet and spend it all on the laptop with a touch screen. That makes the Ideapad Flex a good choice because it is cheaper than the Ideapad Yoga, which I think is priced at a premium for being able to fold 360 into a tablet. I'd pay the premium for a Thinkpad but would have to give it a second thought when considering an Ideapad Yoga. However, the Ideapad series is also getting touch variants of the G, Y, and Z series and it's likely that those could be priced lower than the Flex but it's just as likely that they would be priced the same as the Flex as the Flex isn't meant to be a premium laptop. Toshiba doesn't have a lot of buzz happening around it because they don't spend as much on marketing, but they have a good value deal among their mid-range laptops. Asus had a pretty good desktop hybrid, but all their hybrids seems to be off the store shelves for some reason. Acer offers laptops without the AMD/NVidia graphics on their entry level laptops (though this is common in Indian stores), making the prices even lower and great for a laptop that isn't meant to last too long. Imagine your laptop is busted and you don't want to buy a new one right away because the next generation of laptops is due soon, so what do you do? Get an Acer! The Core i3 models with Intel graphics are just great value. If you want to get Acer's more premium models you do see innovative designs - they have one with the touchpad located closer to the screen and the keyboard located further away and considering most people use a mouse, it suits the needs of most folk because typing on the keyboard doesn't have the touchpad under your palms to move the cursor around when typing. If you want to go with conventional laptops, Sony Vaio has premium pricing and is a good alternative to Lenovo's Thinkpads. The Vaios are light weight, have touch screens and SSDs, and stretching the budget a bit, they can get you everything you are looking for. If you are looking for an investment that will last you a while (considering I have a 6 year old working Thinkpad) and does not get too far from the convention, Vaios are the choice to be had.
Old 22nd October 2013, 00:51   #3896
Senior - BHPian

Please suggest an i5 laptop (fourth generation) - max budget of Rs. 40,000 for a friend. No graphic card required, will be used for programming IDEs and general softwares like ms-office and adobe suites.
Old 22nd October 2013, 12:17   #3897
BHPian

Today my HP dv sereies laptop showing "Operating system not found" and not starting. So please help me to start it again.
Old 23rd October 2013, 12:02   #3898
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
Please suggest an i5 laptop (fourth generation) - max budget of Rs. 40,000 for a friend. No graphic card required, will be used for programming IDEs and general softwares like ms-office and adobe suites.
At that price you could get a graphic card as bonus.
HP Pavilion 15-n011tu (4th gen i5, 4gb ram, 500 gb hdd) @ 37400

HP Pavilion 15-n004tx (4th gen i5, 4gb ram, 500 gb hdd amd 1 gb graphic card) @ 39400

Acer aspire e1-572 (4th gen i5, 4gb ram, 500 gb hdd win 8) @ 39900 without win 8 one@ 36700

Lenovo essential g510 59-382826 (4th gen i5, 4gb ram, 500 gb hdd win 8) @ 39900 without win 8 one @ 38800

My suggestion would be to go for the HP Pavilion @ 39400. Excellent build quality and is better among the lot both in terms of price and looks
Old 23rd October 2013, 18:31   #3899
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimified View Post
Basic research over the last week has led me to the Surface Pro 2 and the Lenovo Yoga 13 2 Pro.
Check out the XPS 12 from Dell. Its screen is supposed to be better than the Yoga 13. The 360 flip of Yoga can be a pain when used in tablet mode. Did you try twisting and turning a demo piece? Feels weird to hold a tablet and feel keys against your palm.
Old 24th October 2013, 04:23   #3900
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren959 View Post
Today my HP dv sereies laptop showing "Operating system not found" and not starting. So please help me to start it again.
You may have a hard disk drive gone bad. If it is still under warranty, have it sent for repairs. It is almost impossible for the service center to claim that they do not have a hard disk drive in stock so if they say that the model is unavailable, push for anything equal to or greater than your existing hard drive in capacity. It's assumed as a given with warranty packages, but the Indian service centers need a reminder.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks