Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th August 2013, 22:59   #3781
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxTorque View Post
Guys, I am looking for a laptop for my daily use. During my survey, I came across this laptop (Acer). I liked the looks and design. Also it is very handy and sleek. I know it runs on Pentium Dual Core processor. Is i3 or i5 processor necessary for home usage? I prefer a 14" laptop.
If by regular usage, you mean web surfing,some typing, emails, no problem at all. The PDC will suffice. But always remember the limitation.
For eg. Don't try editing home videos or photoshop, or you will end up with high BP.

If you really like the design and sleekness, the Aspire V5 comes in many configs IIRC, so look at the Ci3 and i5 if your budget permits.
Old 17th August 2013, 23:19   #3782
BANNED

re: THE Laptop Thread: Configs, deals and questions

Acer's customer service is not good. If you can find a similar configuration in Dell or HP, go for that.
Old 18th August 2013, 07:19   #3783
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post
If you really like the design and sleekness, the Aspire V5 comes in many configs IIRC, so look at the Ci3 and i5 if your budget permits.
Yeah, my usage will be limited to web surfing and similar home office kind of stuffs. No video editing, gaming etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Acer's customer service is not good. If you can find a similar configuration in Dell or HP, go for that.
I have been using a 15.6" laptop for the last 6 years and now I want a 14" laptop. The options available in both Dell and HP are very limited. Somehow the glossy looks of HP did not impress me.

Do you have any bad experience (of Acer customer care) to narrate?

Last edited by MaxTorque : 18th August 2013 at 07:20.
Old 18th August 2013, 07:25   #3784
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxTorque View Post
Do you have any bad experience (of Acer customer care) to narrate?
Yes, I had a Gateway laptop which lasted all of 14 months with problems even in those 14 months. Gateway is an Acer Product and they both have the same customer service numbers and service centers. I have written about my experiences in this thread itself.
Old 18th August 2013, 07:53   #3785
Senior - BHPian

Guys last night my VAIO all of the sudden froze. When I restarted it showed "no operating system found ". Is this a hard disk problem? Will I be able to recover data from my drives?
Old 18th August 2013, 09:22   #3786
BANNED

Acer hasnt given me any problems. I bought an entry level laptop in Oct 2007, and touchwood, it has never let me down. Regular things like Battery or AC adapter have been replaced, but that is unavoidable if you use a laptop for nearly 6 yrs.
Old 18th August 2013, 09:31   #3787
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun View Post
Thanks for the link, however I cannot use this approach as W8 is not running on my laptop at the moment. I guess I can create it from someone having a similar model HP laptop.
Since the Windows 8 license is not individual but tied to the make + model, I can create a recovery disk from any laptop of the same make + model.
Old 19th August 2013, 12:48   #3788
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post
Acer hasnt given me any problems. I bought an entry level laptop in Oct 2007, and touchwood, it has never let me down. Regular things like Battery or AC adapter have been replaced, but that is unavoidable if you use a laptop for nearly 6 yrs.
I have an IBM (Lenovo) Thinkpad that has been running since 2006. The battery just died last month and it's been in use every single day since it was bought. I did change the adapter once when the insulation on the wire wore out (it's from the hardening of the plastic as the material wasn't meant to last long). Unlike my older Compaq and HP laptops, it actually did last longer than 2 years, but that's when most people would buy a new one anyway. I have a Sony Vaio that sees a lot of desk use so I can't really tell much about whether it can take the beating, but the trackpad buttons had their paint worn off within a month of use; the problem is cosmetic rather than functional. My primary use laptop is a Lenovo Ideapad. The inner surface has a brushed metal plate rather than a paint coat so it isn't likely to wear out.
Old 19th August 2013, 15:39   #3789
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
Guys last night my VAIO all of the sudden froze. When I restarted it showed "no operating system found ". Is this a hard disk problem? Will I be able to recover data from my drives?
Not sure what could be the problem but I think you should be able to recover the data if you remove harddrive from this laptop and connect it as an external drive with any other laptop.
Old 19th August 2013, 15:42   #3790
BANNED

Any developments / news / rumours about Gen IV ie Haswell in brands apart from Vaio and Mac in India. Also, prices if any rumours are there. We need two!
Old 19th August 2013, 19:01   #3791
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post

Not sure what could be the problem but I think you should be able to recover the data if you remove harddrive from this laptop and connect it as an external drive with any other laptop.
Get a copy of puppy linux and boot from a live cd/usb.
Old 20th August 2013, 18:24   #3792
BHPian

The down arrow key on my Lenovo laptop (May 2010) fell off last week. The 'm' and ',' keys haven't been working well for a while now - needs a lot of pressure.

My questions are:

- Can I replace these keys alone? What will the cost factor be?
- Or shall I just buy a USB keyboard and plug it in and use it? Will save me the time, hassle and fuel cost in going to a service centre! (My usage is mostly on the desk, I can manage without these keys when I rarely have to make it portable)
Old 20th August 2013, 20:56   #3793
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo_Ipe View Post
The down arrow key on my Lenovo laptop (May 2010) fell off last week. The 'm' and ',' keys haven't been working well for a while now - needs a lot of pressure.

My questions are:

- Can I replace these keys alone? What will the cost factor be?
- Or shall I just buy a USB keyboard and plug it in and use it? Will save me the time, hassle and fuel cost in going to a service centre! (My usage is mostly on the desk, I can manage without these keys when I rarely have to make it portable)
-Yes, you can.
-VFM considering Replacement keys,keyboards cost a bomb.

http://www.keyboardshop.in/
Old 21st August 2013, 01:42   #3794
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo_Ipe View Post
The down arrow key on my Lenovo laptop (May 2010) fell off last week. The 'm' and ',' keys haven't been working well for a while now - needs a lot of pressure. Can I replace these keys alone? What will the cost factor be?
The keyboards are available as spare parts from the Lenovo service centers - you can send them your laptop's model number and place an order. If you know someone in the U.S. who can get it for you, it's cheaper to get it from eBay. Also, you may be able to find salvageable parts from laptops similar to yours that have met their untimely end at computer repair stores.
Old 21st August 2013, 18:09   #3795
BHPian

Guys, any idea where I can get a "privacy screen" for a laptop of 13.3 inch screen? Any places in Bangalore or a online portal where I can buy one please?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks