Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 3rd August 2013, 10:45   #3766
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post

No, it's not - unless something is wrong or you misuse it (block the ventilation hole).

Laptops overheating reduce the battery life if the battery is exposed to the heat. Other electronic parts also may get spoiled earlier because of the heat exposure.

FWIW, over the last 6 years, I have never had a laptop where the touch pad got hot. Other parts of the laptop getting hot - yeah - and I got it fixed.
Different laptops have different parts getting heated. My laptop gets heated the same way, the part below the keyboard gets heated. It depends upon the position of processor.
And heat is proportional to cpu load, ventilation vents blockage, uptime. There is no laptop which does not get heated with use. Some of them get the keyboard heated, thick ones usually insulate the heat and keep it only on the back side.
That said, blocking the ventilation, and having dust inside increases the heating many folds.
Old 3rd August 2013, 11:35   #3767
BANNED

re: THE Laptop Thread: Configs, deals and questions

A relative wants to buy a laptop which is mainly used for presentations, MS Office works and occasional browsing and must be light to carry. Which brand should to go for ?

Budget: 20K

Thanks in advance.
Old 3rd August 2013, 11:38   #3768
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun View Post
A relative wants to buy a laptop which is mainly used for presentations, MS Office works and occasional browsing and must be light to carry. Which brand should to go for ?

Budget: 20K

Thanks in advance.
Get a netbook. You'll get Asus netbook for 14-15k. Light weight, 6-7 hours battery life and can run the applications you mentioned easily.
Old 3rd August 2013, 12:02   #3769
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by prateekm View Post
Get a netbook. You'll get Asus netbook for 14-15k. Light weight, 6-7 hours battery life and can run the applications you mentioned easily.
Netbooks are nearing extinction - http://news.yahoo.com/acer-asus-stop...180300299.html

So not interested. Any other options ?
Old 3rd August 2013, 14:13   #3770
BHPian

Here you go,

http://www.flipkart.com/samsung-np30...ame_computer_5
Old 6th August 2013, 13:04   #3771
BHPian

Does anyone have a contact of a Gateway service center in Delhi/NCR?
MY 11 inch laptop's fan is noisy and it has to be rebooted by removing the battery each time.
Their call center did not pick up the call after nearly 10 mins of wait time!
Old 6th August 2013, 14:54   #3772
BHPian

Just bought Lenovo G series Laptop. The configuration seemed pretty decent.

Core i5 2.6 ghz
4gb DDR3 Ram
500 gig hd
15.6 in display
2gb ATI gfx card
DOS only

Picked this up on snapdeal for 37k. They threw in an okayish laptop back as well, which wasn't mentioned though.

Quite satisfied!
Old 6th August 2013, 17:16   #3773
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avingodb View Post
Does anyone have a contact of a Gateway service center in Delhi/NCR?
MY 11 inch laptop's fan is noisy and it has to be rebooted by removing the battery each time.
Their call center did not pick up the call after nearly 10 mins of wait time!
1. For fan, if you can open up the laptop and access the fan just lubricate it with a drop of light machine oil (Have no idea if the singer machine oil is still available)
2. For a laptop which refuses to shut down, check what all is running.
. In my Laptop there was a service which refused to stop. Once I identified it and removed it, all became fine.
. On my desktop, one of the Nero services installed automatically would not stop. Same procedure, identified it and removed it from services list.

Here is how to identify the offending service
. Start the windows task manager (Ctrl-Alt-Del) and go to the process page
. Start the shutdown normally
. Watch the list of processes. They will stop one by one.
. Once the laptop stops shutdown - you will note that nothing is happening for five minutes or so, start deleting the services one by one. Wait after each delete to see if the normal shutdown resumes. The service which you deleted and the normal shutdown resumed is the culprit.
Old 7th August 2013, 11:23   #3774
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sai_ace View Post
Just bought Lenovo G series Laptop. The configuration seemed pretty decent.

Core i5 2.6 ghz
4gb DDR3 Ram
500 gig hd
15.6 in display
2gb ATI gfx card
DOS only

Picked this up on snapdeal for 37k. They threw in an okayish laptop back as well, which wasn't mentioned though.

Quite satisfied!
If this came in a thinkpad chassis+windows for 42k, would have loved to pick it up.
Old 12th August 2013, 13:52   #3775
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenster View Post
Also another model for your review and comments HP Envy TouchSmart 15-J001TX
http://www.flipkart.com/hp-envy-touc...6-339e60c3a3c6

What do you folks think or my delimma and this model from HP?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenster View Post
Hey friends, back with another model. Spoke to the Sony Center guys and found that this model fit my requirements. But I read a post here where I was advised not to go in for Sony Vaio. Could I please know the reason for the same?
http://www.sony.co.in/product/svf15a15sn
@Zenster

did you get any of the above laptops?? I tried to get the Sony vaio on saturday, none of the dealers had a stock of this one. I literally tried checking with Ritchie street guys to big retailers like Croma, Reliance digital and the Sony world people. This is like a vaporware. I couldn't even find a proper review of this model.

As for the HP Envy, this seems to have the best config available at this price range with a touchscreen. One dealer said if I confirm he can get it in a day as he has to get it from B'lore. This is the closest I got with this laptop. Planning to get the HP Envy, any thoughts to share?
Old 12th August 2013, 16:07   #3776
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajeswaranK7 View Post
@Zenster

did you get any of the above laptops?? I tried to get the Sony vaio on saturday, none of the dealers had a stock of this one. I literally tried checking with Ritchie street guys to big retailers like Croma, Reliance digital and the Sony world people. This is like a vaporware. I couldn't even find a proper review of this model.

As for the HP Envy, this seems to have the best config available at this price range with a touchscreen. One dealer said if I confirm he can get it in a day as he has to get it from B'lore. This is the closest I got with this laptop. Planning to get the HP Envy, any thoughts to share?
Hello RajeswaranK7, I still haven't been able to make-up my mind. The Sony model was available at one of the Sony World stores in Ghatkopar, Mumbai. But like you said, this model is a little bit of a ghost and couldn't any decent reviews.

Same is the case with the HP model, I didn't find any stores that have it in stock, so couldn't touch-feel it.

Still on the look-out for now.
Old 15th August 2013, 15:34   #3777
BANNED

How is the overall quality & A.S.S of Toshiba v/s Lenovo/Samsung/Asus ?
Old 17th August 2013, 17:49   #3778
BHPian

Does anyone have the Windows 8 recovery DVD that comes with "HP Pavilion g6-2301AX" ?
My laptop hard drive crashed and cannot be recovered. HP replaced the disk as it was under warranty. However I do not have a back up of the Win 8 OS that came on it.

Contacted HP, they would charge around 2k for a recovery disk, so wondering if I can get one at a cheaper rate
Old 17th August 2013, 22:19   #3779
BANNED

Quote:
Does anyone have the Windows 8 recovery DVD that comes with "HP Pavilion g6-2301AX" ?
My laptop hard drive crashed and cannot be recovered. HP replaced the disk as it was under warranty. However I do not have a back up of the Win 8 OS that came on it.
No need to spend 2K.

http://www.howtogeek.com/131907/how-...-in-windows-8/
Old 17th August 2013, 22:50   #3780
BHPian

Guys, I am looking for a laptop for my daily use. During my survey, I came across this laptop (Acer). I liked the looks and design. Also it is very handy and sleek. I know it runs on Pentium Dual Core processor. Is i3 or i5 processor necessary for home usage? I prefer a 14" laptop.

Most Viewed