Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st July 2013, 12:09   #3751
BANNED

re: THE Laptop Thread: Configs, deals and questions

Which brand/model of Dell business laptops would be in the same range (price/quality/performance) as a Thinkpad. I paid around 70-75K for a Thinkpad T430 last year with 3 year business warranty.
Old 31st July 2013, 12:49   #3752
BHPian

why not buy a thinkpad ? I have been looking at the X series for sometime and there seems to be a 10% discount on flipkart! Pricing ~ 67k for the x230 with i5.

Citibank Card required.
Old 31st July 2013, 13:02   #3753
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by babhishek View Post
why not buy a thinkpad ?
I have a thinkpad T430. Warranty Service is beyond pathetic. That's why my next laptop is going to be a Dell.
Old 31st July 2013, 13:28   #3754
BHPian

The X series does have next business day Onsite warranty.
In terms of Dell, I would suggest the latitude range. I have been using them for 8 years now, and have been more than happy. The Service Engineers are prompt with parts replacement, please note all my laptops have been company provided ones.

I am on my 3rd Dell Latitude Laptop. I would recommend the 13.3 inch latitude model, its a great balance of portability and processing power. I switched to an extended battery on my latest model ( again company provided ) and I manage 6 hours on battery, easily in the workplace on Wifi.
Old 31st July 2013, 13:43   #3755
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by babhishek View Post
The X series does have next business day Onsite warranty.
As I said, I have a T430 with 3 year next day business warranty. But the 'next day' actually worked as 'some day when it suits us' for me. I have written about my multiple poor experiences with Lenovo service some pages back.
Old 31st July 2013, 18:43   #3756
BHPian

Spoke to Dell and the 17R Turbo is discontinued, also the Full-HD model of the Lenovo Y500 is also discontinued. So I guess for a customisable system offering Full-HD display I will either need to look at Latitudes or iMAC ??

Also another model for your review and comments HP Envy TouchSmart 15-J001TX
http://www.flipkart.com/hp-envy-touc...6-339e60c3a3c6

What do you folks think or my delimma and this model from HP?
Old 31st July 2013, 21:10   #3757
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Which brand/model of Dell business laptops would be in the same range (price/quality/performance) as a Thinkpad. I paid around 70-75K for a Thinkpad T430 last year with 3 year business warranty.
Lenovo has ThinkPad in various series, viz L, T, W, etc., Whereas Dell offers their exclusive business offerings as Vostro (basic computing), Latitude (midrange computing) and Precision (High-end computing).

If you want to compare I would say ThinkPad T is comparable to Dell Latitude series and ThinkPad W series would be comparable to Dell's Precision machines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenster View Post
Spoke to Dell and the 17R Turbo is discontinued, also the Full-HD model of the Lenovo Y500 is also discontinued. So I guess for a customisable system offering Full-HD display I will either need to look at Latitudes or iMAC ??

Also another model for your review and comments HP Envy TouchSmart 15-J001TX
http://www.flipkart.com/hp-envy-touc...6-339e60c3a3c6

What do you folks think or my dilemma and this model from HP?
The two negatives in this model are

1. Hard disk - which is anemic (5400 RPM will seriously affect the overall performance)

2. Warranty which is only 1 year, extending would be quite costly (for 2 years around 10k)

Otherwise it's a good machine, but I don't know how responsive is service from HP.

As far as importing laptops is concerned, majority of basic and mid-level laptops from almost all manufacturers in US and elsewhere come with local North America warranty or if you are importing from middle east, Middle eastern warranty.

If you want to import make sure you give a call to concerned CC and clarify about a particular model's warranty status in India and whether it can be extended here.

Most high end laptops come with 3 years global warranty.

Hope it helps.

Last edited by mroptimist : 31st July 2013 at 21:17. Reason: Added unfo
Old 31st July 2013, 21:23   #3758
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mroptimist View Post
The two negatives in this model are

1. Hard disk - which is anemic (5400 RPM will seriously affect the overall performance)

2. Warranty which is only 1 year, extending would be quite costly (for 2 years around 10k)

Otherwise it's a good machine, but I don't know how responsive is service from HP.

As far as importing laptops is concerned, majority of basic and mid-level laptops from almost all manufacturers in US and elsewhere come with local North America warranty or if you are importing from middle east, Middle eastern warranty.

If you want to import make sure you give a call to concerned CC and clarify about a particular model's warranty status in India and whether it can be extended here.

Hope it helps.
Yes it does help, thanks again.

Looks like my search has hit a big road-block since I cant find any models from Dell, HP, Lenovo, Asus and the rest with the specs I am looking for in 60-70k range. I got a quote for latitude E6530 with Full-HD display for about 87K+ which defeates the purpose, I might as well look at the Mac more seriously.

Looks the gadgets market (like our automotive industry) has little to offer to an enthusiast-on-a-budget
Old 31st July 2013, 21:28   #3759
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
As I said, I have a T430 with 3 year next day business warranty. But the 'next day' actually worked as 'some day when it suits us' for me.
I once asked a Lenovo sales rep about the price of a replacement power adapter, and I got the reply as, "I don't know the exact price, but it must be approximately Rs.50/-."
I smiled, trying not to laugh, and left saying, "Thank you."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenster View Post
I will strike off Samsung from my list then. And I agree, Inspirons dont have good build quality.
While Dell has poor build quality, they are known for their after-sales support in India (at least they are the preferred choice for server purchases). For a desktop, a Dell would be a reasonable choice. I wouldn't buy a Dell or an HP laptop though. Toshiba offers good value for about Rs.40k and Sony's Vaio is quite good and typically costs over Rs.65k. Lenovo's Ideapad is usually a good value for about Rs.40k, but the availability of replacement parts is a problem so if you want a good bargain and can buy the laptop without warranty, that's something you could consider getting. In any case, avoid buying extended warranty because the Indian laptop service centers usually don't carry a stock of parts of older models and will just tell you that they don't have the parts you need.
Old 1st August 2013, 10:12   #3760
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mroptimist View Post

The international / global warranty is also a joke. There are more holes than in Swiss Cheese. My daughter bought an HP with a three year international warranty in India, and proceeded to the UK for an LLM. When it developed a fault HP replied that since the particular model is not on sale in the UK she should take it back to the country of purchase. It was on page 14 or something of the standard terms. When she revealed that she was a lawyer doing an LLM, and will haul them up, the tune changed. They asked he to take it to the service centre (on or next to the campus) and the unit was collected (Nottingham), sent to Bracknell, where they had got the part of the motherboard from Germany,a nd was back within three days, and that too in the XMas period.
Old 1st August 2013, 21:23   #3761
BHPian

Hey friends, back with another model. Spoke to the Sony Center guys and found that this model fit my requirements. But I read a post here where I was advised not to go in for Sony Vaio. Could I please know the reason for the same?
http://www.sony.co.in/product/svf15a15sn
Old 2nd August 2013, 22:35   #3762
Distinguished - BHPian

The touch pad area of my 4 year old dell studio gets really hot . Its been like this since day one I believe. Since I was using external mouse I was not feeling much. But have started using the pad as mouse for last couple of months and find it really bad heat on my fingers. I even opened the case to find what is below . But found only the mother board .

Have anyone faced this issue? Is there any solution?
Old 3rd August 2013, 00:29   #3763
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
The touch pad area of my 4 year old dell studio gets really hot . Its been like this since day one I believe. Since I was using external mouse I was not feeling much. But have started using the pad as mouse for last couple of months and find it really bad heat on my fingers. I even opened the case to find what is below . But found only the mother board .

I think its pretty common. Laptops do get quite hot. Do check if the processor is placed close to the touchpad?
Otherwise, it is still common. No need to worry I guess.
Old 3rd August 2013, 09:22   #3764
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
But found only the mother board .

Usually blowing away dust on CPU / Heatsink takes care of cooling issues.

I have a studio 1558, need to do that every 3 - 4 months.
Old 3rd August 2013, 09:59   #3765
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmad.007 View Post
I think its pretty common.
No, it's not - unless something is wrong or you misuse it (block the ventilation hole).

Laptops overheating reduce the battery life if the battery is exposed to the heat. Other electronic parts also may get spoiled earlier because of the heat exposure.

FWIW, over the last 6 years, I have never had a laptop where the touch pad got hot. Other parts of the laptop getting hot - yeah - and I got it fixed.

Last edited by carboy : 3rd August 2013 at 10:01.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks