Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th September 2013, 22:20   #3826
BHPian

re: THE Laptop Thread: Configs, deals and questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmad.007 View Post
And preferrably go with free DOS, and then install an OS of your choice.
Have you ever installed an OS on a blank laptop? Is the process easy?
Old 12th September 2013, 22:32   #3827
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxTorque View Post

Hey max it's pretty easy to install os on a blank laptop. You just need to have the os dvd. To install os, you need to enter the bios and set the first boot device to dvd and insert the dvd and let it do it's work.

Let me know if you need any help.
Old 12th September 2013, 23:37   #3828
BHPian

Quote:

I don't even remember the no. of times I have installed OS on my PC and laptop, it is a very common process now.
But, I see you are not much into this whole computer thing, and probably have'nt installed an OS before, so I would suggest you to buy a laptop with Genuine windows already installed, it will be a hassle-free option, offering complete peace of mind. The OS installation is easy, its the laptop's drivers and all that stuff which you will need to download and install after the OS to make the laptop function correctly.
But anyway, if you decide to go DOS way, we are always here to walk you through the complete process.
Old 13th September 2013, 05:16   #3829
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by appu.bhandari View Post
Let me know if you need any help.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmad.007 View Post
But anyway, if you decide to go DOS way, we are always here to walk you through the complete process.
Thanks for the reply and willingness to help me. Yes you people are right, I have never installed an OS in a laptop. I am not into computers much, except using it. The geekiest thing I have ever done is rooting my HTC Wildfire and made it working on CM09.

Actually I want to delay my laptop purchase as much as possible. So I will contact you people once I am ready.
Old 13th September 2013, 10:31   #3830
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsurya View Post
I am looking for a high end laptop with: 3rd/4th Gen i7, 8 GB RAM, a fast disk (750GB 7200 rpm or 750 5400 rpm + 32 SSD), 1 GB video card, 15.6" screen, preferably metallic body but not mandatory. Non touch screen.
Lenovo Ideapads have a metallic finish on the inside of the clamshell. You would be spending most of your time staring at the inside so it ought to be good enough. It deals with the problem of paint wear, which I typically experience especially on the mouse buttons of the Sony Vaio.

8GB is typically something you would need for virtualization. One way to go is settle for an SSD instead of the additional RAM and dedicated graphics because the difference in performance would be more apparent and you would have longer battery run times.

Most computers today run fine with 4GB RAM - same as my old laptop from 2004, which I had bought for software development to run those memory-hungry IDEs.
Old 19th September 2013, 15:42   #3831
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi,
Looking for a laptop to replace my aging Vaio. Was checking on Dell and Toshiba, felt price wise Toshibhas are better. Any feedback on Toshibha service and spare ?
My usuage will be for usual Email / FB and may be video chats once a while. Only heavy usage will be for Lightroom / Photoshop. Hence was looking in to 3rd gen i3 and i5 with 4GB RAM.
Old 19th September 2013, 16:45   #3832
BHPian

@mpksuhas Dell is better any day in build & service. I have a 6 yr old Dell Latitude D600 still chugging along on XP. That said, my wife has a Toshiba for last 3 yrs, had a motherboard failure once which they replaced in reasonable quick time. Go for extended warranty, always.
Old 19th September 2013, 19:36   #3833
BHPian

How is ASUS as brand? I see there are some good laptops with 14" screen (one of my primary requirement).
Old 19th September 2013, 20:16   #3834
BHPian

@maxtorque

Asus has excellent built quality and are one of the finest laptops. but since it's a relatively new player in the Indian laptop market, the servicing capability is unknown
Old 19th September 2013, 22:09   #3835
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Any feedback on Toshibha service and spare? Hence was looking in to 3rd gen i3 and i5 with 4GB RAM.
You can make do with a 4th gen Core i3 with 4GB RAM. They are quite cheap and the ultra-low voltage chip from a 4th generation will run cooler too. In Indian summers, if you have a power cut, laptops would generally overheat and have a thermal shutdown because of a lack of air conditioning.

Toshiba is pretty good in India for the availability of spares. I could source a battery even after a couple of years, and other who had to get warranty replacements were able to procure parts easily.

Quote:
How is ASUS as brand? I see there are some good laptops with 14" screen (one of my primary requirement).
ASUS is a pretty good brand - they built their reputation building motherboards. I couldn't find an ASUS laptop with a touch interface at the stores that I went to. Perhaps they'll stock them next month after they see every other brand offering them.
Old 19th September 2013, 23:53   #3836
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_nitin_r View Post

ASUS is a pretty good brand - they built their reputation building motherboards. I couldn't find an ASUS laptop with a touch interface at the stores that I went to. Perhaps they'll stock them next month after they see every other brand offering them.
Probably that store didn't have them but Asus vivobook series offers touch screen laptop and the range starts from 40k.
Old 20th September 2013, 09:24   #3837
BANNED

I have one of the early Asus units K53S. Rest is Ok but the Hard disk speed is abysmal.
Old 21st September 2013, 10:29   #3838
BHPian

I wanted to convert my desktop PC to a gaming PC. I am new to all this and hence request help from experts here. My current PC configuration:

Processor: Pentium Dual-Core E5200 2.50 GHz
Installed Memory: 2GB RAM
System: 32 Bit Operating system, X64 based processor
Hard disk capacity: 250 GB
Sound card (External): Creative Soundblaster 5.1 VX
Speakers: 5.1 Mercury speakers

I guess i need to install a decent graphics card, buy a bigger size hard disk and increase my installed memory for converting in to a gaming PC. I also have an old PS2 with 2 dual shock controllers.

My query is:

1. What are the specifics i need to upgrade?
2. Approximate cost or damage my pockets?
3. How to integrate PS2 to PC or if not PS2, i at least want to use my PS2 dual shock controllers to use by attaching it to my computer. Any hardware you recommend i need to install on my PC which will enable me to attach controllers to my PC?

MODS: I could not find appropriate thread for desktop computer configs. Apologies if one already exists and requesting you to move this post to the relevant thread
Old 21st September 2013, 10:46   #3839
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazybrain View Post

I guess i need to install a decent graphics card, buy a bigger size hard disk and increase my installed memory for converting in to a gaming PC.
To be honest it wouldn't be worth the effort, your processor is ill equipped to play any modern games at decent level. It's true that you can install a graphic card and play some games but it wouldn't be for long or future proof.

Quote:
3. How to integrate PS2 to PC or if not PS2, i at least want to use my PS2 dual shock controllers to use by attaching it to my computer. Any hardware you recommend i need to install on my PC which will enable me to attach controllers to my PC?
Use ps2 to pc usb converter
Old 21st September 2013, 19:27   #3840
BHPian

Quote:
I wanted to convert my desktop PC to a gaming PC. Processor: Pentium Dual-Core E5200 2.50 GHz
1. What are the specifics i need to upgrade?
3. How to integrate PS2 to PC or if not PS2
I could not find appropriate thread for desktop computer configs.
If you plan to run newer games, then you would need to consider upgrading the motherboard and processor, in addition to adding a graphics adapter. For older games, you can probably get a regular desktop - you can get a decent performance from the desktops and laptops of today when you play older games. Right now, you can get a computer with a 3rd gen Core i5 and NVidia graphics for a decent price as the new generation of 4th gen processors have started to make their way to store shelves.

With some USB computer mice, we used to get an adapter to be able to use it in a PS2 port. However, finding an adapter that does the opposite would be difficult to find but they do exist. What you need looks like this:
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fi...r_IMGP1414.jpg
These were common a few years ago in server rooms for connecting the old rack-mounted KVM devices to newer servers.

There are 2 threads that you can look into for information about desktops.

One is about computer configuration in general:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...on-thread.html

The other one is titled Desktop or Laptop:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...op-laptop.html

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks