Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th July 2013, 17:56   #3691
BHPian

what to do with old laptops!

Have 3 laptops at home now. The latest one being used by me currently.
The first one is Compaq B2800 which is 5 yrs old and still working fine.
The other is SOny VGN series with faulty CD drive. I am fed up of carrying the heavy laptops on my travels and hence looking for ultra slim / low weight types. I do not wish to buy apple as it is mighty expensive for the purpose. Need 2 laptops and I carry one on ship and the other is back home for skype chat.

Any dealers in and around Pune to sell these laptops or exchange them for new desired laptop? Also any particular ultra slim laptop deal at mouth watering price now?
Old 8th July 2013, 09:05   #3692
BANNED

re: THE Laptop Thread: Configs, deals and questions

Has the Haswell series been seen in India. Expected dates?

My Asus K53 had a bad fall yesterday, cracking an edge of the case. It was running when dropped and seems to have suffered no other damage. It is the Good Lord telling me to hurry along with the replacement.
Old 8th July 2013, 11:26   #3693
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post

My Asus K53 had a bad fall yesterday, cracking an edge of the case. It was running when dropped and seems to have suffered no other damage. It is the Good Lord telling me to hurry along with the replacement.
That is why I love the Thinkpads. They are crack resistant.
Old 8th July 2013, 11:33   #3694
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
That is why I love the Thinkpads. They are crack resistant.
Yeah, but Lenovo Customer Service is beyond terrible - I wrote about my experience with my Thinkpad in the last couple of pages.
Old 8th July 2013, 11:54   #3695
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Yeah, but Lenovo Customer Service is beyond terrible - I wrote about my experience with my Thinkpad in the last couple of pages.
I have tried their service in Kolkata and Delhi, it was good. As I never had on-site, I take it to the service centre.

Yes at times certain spare parts take time - 1.8" HDD for X40 took a week. Display for X40 took two weeks, but HDD for X60s was changed in a day.

My son had an HP, and their cervice centre is 5 km from home. They took much longer > 2 weeks for motherboard replacement.

In a nut shell if the failed part is in stock then service is good, it it is a part that fails rarely, it will come from either country (India) depot, or at times from regional depot (usually Singapore)
Old 8th July 2013, 12:10   #3696
BANNED

Quote:
I have tried their service in Kolkata and Delhi, it was good. As I never had on-site, I take it to the service centre.

Yes at times certain spare parts take time - 1.8" HDD for X40 took a week. Display for X40 took two weeks, but HDD for X60s was changed in a day.

My son had an HP, and their service center is 5 km from home. They took much longer > 2 weeks for motherboard replacement.

In a nut shell if the failed part is in stock then service is good, it it is a part that fails rarely, it will come from either country (India) depot, or at times from regional depot (usually Singapore)
For Lenovo, the Service center doesn't have any inventory of parts. After you log a complaint - a part is assigned to your case and is delivered either to your site (if you want on-site) or to the service center (if you have asked for service at the center). It takes 2-3 days minimum for delivery if parts are in stock.

In my case, my case was logged for on-site originally. I was promised that the very next day or 2 days, the part will be delivered to my site & engineer will come and replace it. For 2 weeks inspite of several phone calls nothing happened. (I had a 24 hour SLA service warranty). After two weeks, a courier guy called me and asked me if he should deliver the part to my site. I said no because I was traveling at that time, so I couldn't accept the part. By the time I came back and called customer service they said that the part had gone back. Since I didn't want to wait two weeks more, they said it would be better if I went to the service center. Since the service center's address was entered with a wrong pincode in their database, my nearest center showed as far off for me and a far off center showed as nearest for me. They wouldn't let me go to the nearest service center till I escalated the case & told them that their data was wrong.
Then I visited the service center and lodged a new case and waited 4 days for the part to arrive. They called me and told me that the part has arrived. They said it will take 1.5 hours to change it. I gave them the laptop at 10:30 am. At 1:00 they said the person has gone for lunch and asked me to call at 1:30. At 1:30 they said he has not come back. They asked me to call at 2:00. At 2:00 I was told the person has gone for namaaz. At 2:30 I was told that the work has not yet started because of too much load and will start immediately & I will get a call from them in 1 hour. Finally the work actually started at around 4:00 and I got the laptop at: 5:45 pm or so.

Overall, all the service center people (on the phone or in person) behaved like Govt employees. At the call center, it was slightly better - they talked a great customer service game, but in reality didn't do anything to push the case forward.

I have dealt with Gateway, Dell and HP customer service earlier. Dell is outstanding. HP is good. Gateway was OK, nothing special, but still miles ahead of Lenovo. They atleast used to quickly respond and try to fix issues.

Last edited by carboy : 8th July 2013 at 12:11.
Old 9th July 2013, 09:53   #3697
Senior - BHPian

Re: what to do with old laptops!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sindabad.sailor View Post
Have 3 laptops at home now. The latest one being used by me currently.
The first one is Compaq B2800 which is 5 yrs old and still working fine.
The other is SOny VGN series with faulty CD drive. I am fed up of carrying the heavy laptops on my travels and hence looking for ultra slim / low weight types. I do not wish to buy apple as it is mighty expensive for the purpose. Need 2 laptops and I carry one on ship and the other is back home for skype chat.

Any dealers in and around Pune to sell these laptops or exchange them for new desired laptop? Also any particular ultra slim laptop deal at mouth watering price now?
Why don't you post an advt on TBHP classified, OLX, Sulekha, Erodev and hifivision?
If you price them right, you will find many takers.
Old 9th July 2013, 10:00   #3698
BANNED

I have an old laptop whose motherboard is dead. What can I do with this?
Old 9th July 2013, 10:54   #3699
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Apple has recently launched the MacBook Airs with the latest Haswell processors. The prices are lower than the last gen.

11 inch Air 67,900 - 81,900 (top of the line)
13 inch Air 74,900 - 88,900 (fully loaded)

More details here:

http://www.apple.com/in/macbook-air/specs.html
Old 9th July 2013, 11:07   #3700
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sindabad.sailor View Post

You can try one of the many dealers on Tilak road for buyback of your laptops in exchange for new ones.
Last week I picked up a Dell at price lower than the website price from Baba Computers. And I didn't bargain at all.. Haggling might bring your price down further.
Old 9th July 2013, 14:44   #3701
BANNED

@9thsphinx; Talked to my tame dealer yesterday. They expect Haswells in Kanpur by mid-August.
Old 9th July 2013, 17:34   #3702
BHPian

Guys have you heard about the new online shop called Reglobe.in? They seem to buy back laptops. Got this in a mail from snapdeal now. Any experience with them?
Old 10th July 2013, 00:11   #3703
Senior - BHPian

Bad Quality - Asus K55A Laptop

I bought a brand new ASUS K55A Laptop with good specs to be used for browsing and light duty.

I was happy i got a good deal thinking it would also have international warranty.

In a month, the LCD went White in bottom half of the screen. It was so sudden i don't know if it was a LCD problem or a Graphics card problem.

I thought it will be covered under warranty but the it seems ASUS customer service in India doesn't exists. On reaching them, they told me it will be a paid repair. That is i will have to pay for it to get it repair. I didn't expect this from ASUS. First a failure of hardware so early in its life and now no customer support for a fix under warranty. Disappointing!

This will be the last laptop i buy from ASUS. o matter how good, sleek looking laptops they make, if they have no quality control, no respect for customer's hard earned money, it would never get business from my friends/colleagues and family. I should have stick with Sony or Dell.

Anybody here can help me with this issue? Thanks
Old 13th July 2013, 16:06   #3704
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The control chip in the batery has gone. Happened in my IBM X60s. Suddenly the battery is not there (and not charging either).
http://www.lapis-semi.com/en/semicon/monitor/mk5208.htm
http://www.microchip.com/wwwproducts...cName=en541458

Your only recorse is to get a new batery, unless you know some one who can open the battery pack and replace the chip.
Unfortunately , there are not many people who know how to change the chip. Many had blank faces when i told them about it and they just said- its a 4 year old battery,batteries usually last 2 years, yours has come for double, so replace. While others were aware of this chip thinghy in battery but were not confident to replace it. So will have to end up buying a new battery. DELL customer care says they don't service batteries.
Old 19th July 2013, 09:51   #3705
Senior - BHPian

Hope this is the right place to post.

I plan to instal Cbiz, a recruitment software for 4 machines. 2 desktops and 2 laptops.

The cbiz guys told me I would need a server to connect all four.

Three machines are going to be 1 room. 2 desktops and 1 laptops.

The computer guy in Coonoor is confused and I dont want him to use me as a test mule. What is the best option guys?

How is the cloud server? Is it very expensive?

I am okay to dump the desktops and get all laptops, if that makes it any easier and cheaper.

Really appreciate all inputs and other options

Benny John

Last edited by beejay : 19th July 2013 at 09:55.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks