Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd August 2012, 00:32   #3586
BHPian

re: THE Laptop Thread: Configs, deals and questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraz33r View Post
Thanks Partha; But apple is not her thing; + she rarely will have time to figure out the nuances of apple OS; rather a very familiar windows will make her life easier.

Flipkart's buying process/warranty..anyone?
Flipkart is the best place to shop online, safest and fastest.
They have excellent delivery timings, buying process is smooth and easy.

For warranty of the product, it would be fully covered by its manufacturer service center, you don't even need to contact flipkart, just log a service call on manufacturer website/call center and it would be handled same way if you purchased the product from a local store.
Old 22nd August 2012, 10:27   #3587
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunner fan View Post
Great Jivtesh. Guessing you should like the laptop upon usage - my mum does esp from a looks perspective - had gotten her the white one.
RAM - I had ordered a 2gb module from Flipkart - Transcend 1333Mhz variant. Costed less than INR 700 odd. Have seen a small increase in performance - well worth the nominal price.
Glad my suggestion helped
Is it possible to put in additional ram module in the laptop without voiding the warranty? Isn't there any sticker on the bottom which will be torn off if you open it?
Old 22nd August 2012, 11:15   #3588
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunner fan View Post
Have added in a 2gb ram module (1333 MHz) to bump total ram to 4. Makes this a breeze and come at only a mere 700 dent to the pocket. I am def recommending you to test it out - carry your music/video with you and play it while testing the unit - so you can asses if it's loud enough for you.

My Sister got herself Sony Vaio E series 15113EN - White colour for Rs. 31500/- from Croma.

i3 -2nd generation
2 GB Ram
320 GB Hard Disk
Dvd-writer
Intel HD3000 graphics
With Numeric Keypad

I wish to upgrade the RAM from 2 GB to 4 GB.

Did you upgrade the RAM yourself ? or got it from Service center guys ?

Does it void the warranty if done by ourselves ?

Last edited by driving_smartly : 22nd August 2012 at 11:17.
Old 22nd August 2012, 15:57   #3589
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
Is it possible to put in additional ram module in the laptop without voiding the warranty? Isn't there any sticker on the bottom which will be torn off if you open it?
I believe RAM is considered as consumables and users can upgrade it on own for most laptops without voiding warranty.
Most laptops doesn't have a sticker on the screws which open the RAM Bay.

however its always recommended to check with customer care before doing this upgrade on own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by driving_smartly View Post
My Sister got herself Sony Vaio E series 15113EN - White colour for Rs. 31500/- from Croma.

i3 -2nd generation
2 GB Ram
320 GB Hard Disk
Dvd-writer
Intel HD3000 graphics
With Numeric Keypad

Answered above, and looked on sony, samsung, forums, most pople state it can be upgraded by upgraded RAM would not be covered and issues arrising from this upgraded would not be entertained.

Source: Google Our Best Friend
Old 22nd August 2012, 16:34   #3590
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by driving_smartly

You can upgrade the ram yourself. Its a pretty easy job. You can view the steps on youtube.
Adding the RAM does not void the warranty be it any laptop, i don't know about apple but as far as sony,dell,hp,Lenovo,acer are concerned no issues. Just make sure that the RAM is of the same specs as the one already installed.

If by any chance in future you face any issue with your laptop , you can always take out the RAM before taking it to the service centre.Just in case.

Last edited by k2max6 : 22nd August 2012 at 16:43.
Old 24th August 2012, 23:24   #3591
BHPian

You're right guys. Sony mentions that adding additional ram modules does not void warranty. And if you want to be safe - remove the added module before having to avail customer services.
Just be careful of the RAM clock speed - should match that of the existing ram module. For the E series - it was 1333Mhz.
Old 1st September 2012, 18:56   #3592
Senior - BHPian

Apologies if this has been answered before, but what are the notebooks that have a back-lit keyboard as standard? Barring Apple of course..
Old 1st September 2012, 19:00   #3593
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftdiesel View Post
Apologies if this has been answered before, but what are the notebooks that have a back-lit keyboard as standard? Barring Apple of course..
There has been research which says that if you use backlit displays (TVs, Laptops, Phones) if may hamper your sleep in the night.
Old 16th September 2012, 06:38   #3594
BHPian

My laptop (acer aspire 5542) dvd rom is conked. Should i go ahead with company support (it's out of warranty) or get a new dvd rom? Would that work in the first place?
Old 18th September 2012, 03:16   #3595
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford5 View Post
My laptop (acer aspire 5542) dvd rom is conked. Should i go ahead with company support (it's out of warranty) or get a new dvd rom? Would that work in the first place?
my friendly suggestion would be to go with a USB DVD writer, its easy and would survive more than the internal ones, plus you can always use it with desktop and other computers as well.
Old 18th September 2012, 09:06   #3596
BANNED

These days some solid state memory (typically 32GB) on top of the HDD is becoming the norm. This is primarily for fast bootup . I heard that this may not be reliable but I do not believe it.

Also, have the Asus laptops improved. The one I have is very slow despite having an i7.
Old 18th September 2012, 10:39   #3597
BHPian

Hi, i am looking out for a Dell Precision 6500 Mobile Workstation, the configuration is i7, 8 GB RAM, 500GB HDD, nVidia Quadro FX3800M Graphic Card with 1GB DDR3 dedicated memory.

Does any one know as to how much does these machines cost and where could i get the same in Bangalore for rental / purchase?

Want to use them as a workstation for Catia use.
Old 18th September 2012, 12:00   #3598
BHPian

Hello friends

I am in the market for a laptop now, will have to buy one in 2 or 3 days (before my mom changes her mind to gift one for me)

My main use will be for personal work, browsing, building and maintaining a few websites, movies and occassional gaming as well. I need something that doesnt heat up much, isnt quite big to carry and hold (i dont prefer anything more than 14.5inches), should be slim and provide decent battery backup of atleast 5 to 6 hrs in normal usage.

I have a budget of around 65K, can stretch a bit more if needed.

After some research online, i have come up to the following stuff:

1. HP Envy 4 ultrabook series 3rd gen core i5 & i 7 (few ppl say they wont last long, bad build quality with keyboard etc)

2. Dell inspiron 14z 3rd gen core i5(looks good, thin and good battery backup according to reviews)

3. Acer Timeline ultra M5 (hasnt' seen in person, so no idea if it is as slim as others listed, but config is good and has latest discrete graphics etc)

4. Samsung Series 5 3rd gen core i5 (again, havent seen this piece in person, so no idea how fat/slim it is, doesn't look to be thin in pics though)

plz help me decide and buy a good one, because the last time i went shopping in 2009, i ended up buying 2 duds from compaq, with AMD processors & radeon graphics, fat, heavy and hot. One died last year and the other died this year.
Old 18th September 2012, 12:41   #3599
BHPian

@ Krishana,
I have recently purchased Sony VAIO SVE15117FN Laptop (2nd Gen Ci5/ 4GB/ 640GB/ Win7 HP/ 2GB Graph) (Black). It also has a backlit keyboard. MRP is Rs.48,990/- but discounted price is Rs.46,540/-. One year on site warranty and further two years for Rs.2500/-.
Old 18th September 2012, 13:30   #3600
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kri$hna
Hello friends

I am in the market for a laptop now, will have to buy one in 2 or 3 days (before my mom changes her mind to gift one for me)

My main use will be for personal work, browsing, building and maintaining a few websites, movies and occassional gaming as well. I need something that doesnt heat up much, isnt quite big to carry and hold (i dont prefer anything more than 14.5inches), should be slim and provide decent battery backup of atleast 5 to 6 hrs in normal usage.

I have a budget of around 65K, can stretch a bit more if needed.

After some research online, i have come up to the following stuff:

1. HP Envy 4 ultrabook series 3rd gen core i5 & i 7 (few ppl say they wont last long, bad build quality with keyboard etc)

2. Dell inspiron 14z 3rd gen core i5(looks good, thin and good battery backup according to reviews).
I have used dell inspiron 15z extensively and I am not very fond of its looks, its not nearly as thin as HP envy 4 range and speakers are very tinny. This one had 1366*768 screen and colour saturation, clarity was really bad. On the upside good battery backup and snappy.

I have seen HP envy 4 briefly and I was smitten. Its a beauty. Really slim form factor. Seemed quite sturdy to me

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks