Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th November 2009, 01:36   #2086
BHPian

Asus G51J-A1

Guys, I am considering getting an Asus G51J-A1. However I have a few queries that I need to clear. Kindly answer them.

Firstly, My requirements:

01. A home entertainment system - Desktop replacement.

02. Primary display will be an LCD HD TV. (Hence the laptop screen doesn't matter - smaller the better).

03. Primary sound will be external speakers. Hence laptop speakers don't matter.

04. Main power source will be AC. Hence battery life doesn't matter.

05. Will be online 24x7, 356 days - downloading torrents. Hence reliability is a major factor. (Only an occasional restart once in 3 months)

06. An occasional race/rally game on HDTV.

07. Will be used exclusively for playing ripped HD contents (movies, TV series etc using VLC), playing songs and 24hr downloading.

08. The specification should be good enough to do the above tasks for at least 4 years.

After considering all the above requirements, I decided in on the G51J-A1.

However certain aspects are unclear to me. Kindly clarify:

01. Is the audio integrated with the HDMI in this system? Or is the audio always routed to the external audio out ports? (ATI chipsets have their audio routed via the HDMI port).

02. From external reviews, it is clear that the system does operate at very high temperatures. Since I plan to keep the system online downloading 24x7 - 365 days, should I be worried about the reliability? Will it last about 4 years? (my current Acer does it without any trouble with only a restart once in 3 months).

03. Can one of the HDDs be later replaced with an SSD as the primary OS drive?

04. Can the laptop monitor be completely turned off when display is routed to HDMI or when HDMI is used as the primary display? (I wouldn't want the laptop monitor coming on every time I move the mouse or touch the k/b).

05. How is the operating sound of the laptop? Does it make too much noise?

06. What is the maximum refresh rate of the laptop monitor?
Old 27th November 2009, 08:58   #2087
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsjaurr View Post
Try one simple trick!
Put any disk in it and then click Try again option.See if it works
Ofcourse, that was the first option i had tried but it didnt work. So i just shut down and went to work on my office laptop and restarted my HP Lappy in the night and voila, that problem automatically disappeared
Old 2nd December 2009, 12:22   #2088
Distinguished - BHPian

Please recommend a basic laptop in price range of 20 to 25k.
Not looking for a netbook as 10inch screen size is too small, require something thats slightly bigger 12 to 14inch max.

Have got qoute for Compaq Presario CQ40-427TU @ 23.5k. Specs are:14inch screen +Intel Celeron Processor 2.20ghz + 1gb RAM + 160gb SATA+Bluetooth+Media card reader. No OS.

Is that a good deal? Would like something better if someone can suggest within the same price range.

Last edited by Sahil : 2nd December 2009 at 12:26.
Old 2nd December 2009, 12:31   #2089
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
Please recommend a basic laptop in price range of 20 to 25k.
Not looking for a netbook as 10inch screen size is too small, require something thats slightly bigger 12 to 14inch max.

Have got qoute for Compaq Presario CQ40-427TU @ 23.5k. Specs are:14inch screen +Intel Celeron Processor 2.20ghz + 1gb RAM + 160gb SATA+Bluetooth+Media card reader. No OS.

Is that a good deal? Would like something better if someone can suggest within the same price range.
Just my 2 cents - try to get one with Windows 7. It is very fast!
Old 2nd December 2009, 12:36   #2090
Senior - BHPian

Also,
See if you can avoid Celeron and add one more GB or RAM by adding a little to your budget, that will surely be useful when you run Win7. OS can be purchased later, but OE guys may have good offer when bundled with hardware.
Old 2nd December 2009, 20:16   #2091
Senior - BHPian

Doesn't look like a great config.

My advice would be to avoid Compaq.

Do check out the 'New Inspiron 14' and the 'Inspiron 13z' from Dell. Slightly above budget but very nice machines.
Old 2nd December 2009, 20:26   #2092
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulfikar View Post
Hi Guys,
I am a problem with my HP DV5- 1002au.
Its an AMD processor.

The only reason i had bought this was that its having 256MB Video card in it.
and had 2GB RAM which i upgraded to 4GB after buying it.

The problem i face with this laptop is it shuts Down sometimes.
sometimes it will run for the entire day without shutdown but some times it will shutdown 5-6 times a day.

I had reinstalled the OS thinking it might be due to a virus of some kind.
But it didnt help.

I notice that the Laptop get heated and shuts down.
have taken to service center 5 times and they only say no problem faced by them.

This Laptop had spent more then 2 months in the first 6 months of purchase...
Had esclated the matter to many people but still no goo...

And other issue i started seeing is that when i am transfering huge data from my pendrive to laptop or laptop to pendrive... it will shutdown.

I am not actually sure what could be the problem but what i did is when it shuts down i noticed that the RAM is HOT... i mean it gets REALY HOT...

so i tried it wil only 1 ram then the other one... still its having the same issue...

Please help me...
install temperature monitor (coretemp.exe if you have dual core). It will also tell you if the processor is reducing the clock frequency when not loaded. If it continuously runs at highest frequency, check the processor power management in power profiles. keep minimum at 0 and max at 75 (100 if you really need peak performence). If that does not resolve, check if you have latest AMD drivers for coprocessor etc. Quite likely a culprit if you have resintalled the OS.

it's very usual for laptop to shut down when overheated. check the cooling vents. This will only apply if you have checked above options and found everything to be alright.

EDIT: No, check the vents anyway . you can see in this thread my pic of a blanket sized blockage i found in my 5 yr old laptop.

Last edited by vivekiny2k : 2nd December 2009 at 20:28.
Old 2nd December 2009, 21:06   #2093
v&v
Senior - BHPian

hi
laptops with 3G Sim slots are available ?
Does anyone have here on BHP. I heard Acer/HP has started offering models.
Old 2nd December 2009, 21:12   #2094
Senior - BHPian

you connection will be useless when laptop shuts down. unless you plan to keep a dedicated number only for mobile internet. in which case you can get a data card.
Old 2nd December 2009, 21:17   #2095
v&v
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
you connection will be useless when laptop shuts down. unless you plan to keep a dedicated number only for mobile internet. in which case you can get a data card.

Ya i plan to keep it dedicated for laptop only. it will be cheaper and faster than data cards.
Old 2nd December 2009, 23:15   #2096
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v&v View Post
hi
laptops with 3G Sim slots are available ?
Does anyone have here on BHP. I heard Acer/HP has started offering models.
Nokia just came out with one.
Old 2nd December 2009, 23:58   #2097
Senior - BHPian

That problem will come and go. The core issue is that the lens is not clean. It happens with my VAIO sometimes.

Keep the lens clean is the mantra.

All the best!

@Sahil: I recommend the top config for a laptop, it lasts more than the cheaper will and with quality and refinement, I have a VAIO TX1HP and it has served me well for over 4years without a glitch. Costed me bomb but still going strong. Friends kept on replacing their's but without quality power is nothing. As you know with cars. You know how BMW is different.

Current config to get is i5 or i7 or quad core with 4 GB RAM and 16:10 for full HD view.

I trust Sony and Apple for my computing needs. Dell comes in third.

Cheers!
Old 3rd December 2009, 00:24   #2098
Distinguished - BHPian

Sniper- this laptop isn't for me obv. I have a 2000$ idea pad hence no compromise on this stuff for me
Need to get a handful of basic laptops for my sales team which are very basic users.
Old 3rd December 2009, 09:30   #2099
Senior - BHPian

@Sahil

I take it that it'll be a bulk deal.

You can try and get the Vostro (slightly stripped down but better than the Compaq) around 25.

PS: The no OS thingy... You into Open-Source?
Old 3rd December 2009, 11:31   #2100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
Sniper- this laptop isn't for me obv. I have a 2000$ idea pad hence no compromise on this stuff for me
Need to get a handful of basic laptops for my sales team which are very basic users.
You can even get a very good deal with Acer laptops. Don't ever go for Celeron laptops, it sucks! At least go for Pentium Dual core or Core 2 duo for better performance. If you are buying bulk, you can get it around 20-22K with OS (Windows XP)

Deal I got from SP road

Acer Aspire 14.1", C2D 2.2 GHz, 4 GB RAM, 500 GB HDD, Bluetooth, Webcam, card reader, etc... for 29K (without OS)
Compaq presario - 14.1" same as above - for 31K (without OS)

Last edited by funda2max : 3rd December 2009 at 11:34. Reason: Added a deal.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks