Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th October 2008, 20:52   #1336
Senior - BHPian

i have a dv 6000t.ive had it for a year and a half and the battery life is pathetic....i barely get 20-40 mins out of it.this has been like this from the begining so its not like the battery got old or something..can i get another more powerful battery for my laptop from the US ?
Old 25th October 2008, 04:35   #1337
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revtech View Post
i have a dv 6000t.ive had it for a year and a half and the battery life is pathetic....i barely get 20-40 mins out of it.this has been like this from the begining so its not like the battery got old or something..can i get another more powerful battery for my laptop from the US ?
I'm sure you can pick up a larger battery for your dv6000. It will stick out of the body a bit but thats ok. My HP's battery failed after using it for about a year and a half too and then the motherboard conked off. This is the second HP I have which hasnt lasted me more than 2 years.
Old 25th October 2008, 18:01   #1338
BHPian

Quote:
HP's generally come with 6 cell batteries. 12 cell batteries are the ones that protrude out at the base of the laptop, but are more expensive.

I have a dv6700z (with standard 6 cell battery) and i get about 2 to 3 hours of usage. ALso check if there is some software running that is consuming the CPU which in turn results in high power consumtion. There is a software called mobmeter which you can find in google that tells tou the power consumption. This should be in the order of 15 to 25 watts. Anything more - it means there is something else draining the battery.
Old 4th November 2008, 18:14   #1339
BHPian

Advice on souped up laptop guys

Hi guys

Need your advice on a laptop for myself and my wife. I am in no hurry to buy this - would probably get it by December or max Jan 09.

I am quite a computer freak and like high configurations. At present at home, our desktop PC configuration is as follows (purchased in Dec 2007):

Intel DG 33 BU original desktop board, 1333 MHz RAM support
Intel Core2Duo 2.33 GHz CPU
2 GB DDR-2 800 MHz RAM
Seagate SATA 500 GB hard drive
Sparkle Calibre nVidia GeForce 8600GT PCI Express graphics card with 512 MB DDR-3
Samsung SATA 20x black DVD writer
iBall Booster 5.1 speaker system
iBall 2.4 GHz Cordless Duo - cordless slimline keyboard & cordless optical mouse
Samsung 19 inch widescreen LCD - model 932NW - black
Microsoft LifeCam VX 1000 webcam
iBall 600 VA UPS
D-Link DSL-502T ADSL 2+ router (for Airtel broadband)
Netgear WGR 614v7 Wireless router
Airtel 512 Kbps unlimited ADSL connection

I had brought the D-Link router back with me when I came back from Melbourne, Australia in 2006 after completing my MBA there. I generally love computers and love to do all the connecting, installation, configuration etc myself. My computer dealer is reluctant to help me even at times when I do genuinely need help ! But he's a nice chap and we have been buying/upgrading through him for the last 8 years. Anything anytime, he is just a call away and arranges for one of his guys to come and attend to the problem.

Ok now to the main point. My wife and I would be moving to our new apartment in Jan 2009 and I would of course require a computer there. I am now in a dilemma as to whether to go in for a fully loaded desktop or a somewhat matching laptop. For the desktop, my usual computer dealer is always there and I can get whatever configuration I want through him. He's however been asking me to consider getting a nice high powered laptop. But the thing is, I feel even when we spend more than 50k on a top end laptop (barring models like the Acer Aspire 8920 which cost more than 70k due to BluRay), we don't get what we could in a desktop for the same price.

But I guess this is a compromise we would have to live with, or is it ?

Well, there are so many laptops in HP but one particular brand & model that I found quite interesting and at an affordable price point, is the LG Desknote S900-K.CPU5A2 (check it out here - LCD TV, Plasma TV,Colour Television, Audio Video,Computer Products,Mobile Phone,Refrigerator, Washing Machine,Vacuum Cleaner,Microwave Oven,Air Conditioner, CAC Products by LG Electronics India) which costs Rs. 55,490/- on the LG India website and less outside at other online stores / other retailers.

Configuration is quite good:

* Processor - Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor T5750 (2.0GHz), 2MB L2 Cache, 667MHz FSB
* Operating System - Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium
* Chipset - SiS 671 DX + 968
* Memory - 2GB DDR2 (667MHz, Dual Channel Support)
* Display - 19" WXGA+ (1440x900), Monitor Quality LCD (300nit, 850:1, 7.4ms, 160/160, 72%)
* Graphics - ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 2400 (256MB VRAM, *HyperMemory™ Support)
* HDD - 320GB (SATA II, 7200rpm, 300MB/sec data transfer rate)
* ODD - DVD Super Multi Dual Layer(DVD-R/RW,+R/RW,RAM)
* Audio - Dolby Home Theater, 10W (5Wx2) high output power stereo speakers, 24bit High Definition
* Input/Output Ports - 4xUSB, VGA, RJ45, S-Video, HP-out/SPDIF, Mic-in

However though the display has a nice resolution of 1440x900, I find there is no HDMI output which is present on quite a few laptops these days. But the 19-inch display is a stunning thing in a laptop - well I guess due to its size, it's being called the LG Desknote. Suits it perfectly.

What I need is a large fast hard drive, good speed DVD writer, dedicated graphics, minimum 2 GB RAM (though I'd prefer to have more) and at least a 15-17 inch display. I love the Need for Speed series and I play NFS Carbon, NFS Pro Street, etc which are quite smooth on my desktop now. I would like a similar performance on the laptop so I guess at least 256 MB of dedicated graphics memory would be required. Though I would happily splurge on the Acer Aspire 8920 which has an 18 inch full HD 1920x1200 screen with bluray drive etc, it's beyond my budget. And I am sure laptops with such configurations would come down in price soon.

So based on my current desktop and my requirements, which are the laptops you guys would recommend ? Is this LG Desknote a good buy ? It would be good if your recommended laptops are around the same price range. Please do provide links to the models suggested.

Look forward to hearing from you all soon.

Thanks and warm regards,
Venkat
Old 5th November 2008, 14:23   #1340
BHPian

Hi! I am looking for some spares (LCD casing, front bezel & hinge) for my 5-year old Acer Travelmate, that took a tumble recently, but is otherwise working fine. Goes without saying that I am not interested to pay Acer Mall (they don't have the casing anyway) prices.
Does anyone know of any laptop junkyards in Kolkata?
Old 5th November 2008, 16:09   #1341
BHPian

Lappy or Desktop

@VSG12777 the LG will be quite a deal, of course will not have all the benefits of a desktop, but the convenience of a lappy is worth it. IMO. I had a similar dilemma, but opted for a 17" Toshiba, and allowed more space to be freed up in my house Grab the LG, good buy.
Old 5th November 2008, 22:54   #1342
aZa
Senior - BHPian

The XPS and Studio series from DELL, customise it with a GPU and 2-3GB ram it will be better than LG and cost less.
Old 19th November 2008, 15:12   #1343
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VSG12777 View Post
Hi guys

Need your advice on a laptop for myself and my wife. I am in no hurry to buy this - would probably get it by December or max Jan 09.
Thanks and warm regards,
Venkat
Alienware launches ‘world’s first mobile quad-core’ laptop | The Toybox | ZDNet.com

Alienware, Dell’s extreme-high performance computing arm, has announced the arrival of its M17 laptop, one of the first such machines powered by the Intel Core 2 Extreme QX9300 (2.53 GHz, 12MB cache, 1066MHz FSB), the world’s first mobile quad-core processor.
Old 19th November 2008, 15:18   #1344
BHPian

Any recommendations for a laptop up to Rs35,000.
Mainstream brands only, available in shops (no mail order). Must have Windows (XP or Vista, not just Linux).
Any specific Acer, HP, Toshiba or others model?
Old 19th November 2008, 18:58   #1345
BANNED

My new lappy's config.:
HP- C2D/ 4GB/ 320GB/ 15"/ Nvidia 9600GT/ Finger print reader/ Vista Home Premium.
Working impeccably.
Old 19th November 2008, 19:16   #1346
BHPian

Quote:
Yup its same I guess with HP, I bought dv 6345us for myself from US, battery last only for 1.5 yrs and died. I have to buy new one for it. But never get more than 60 min of Battery time out of it, even in new one too.
I have taken one 12 cell too for another HP laptop for my Sister and it stays for nearly 3-4 hrs. But yes it makes laptop bit bulky and oversized.
Old 19th November 2008, 19:51   #1347
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp1 View Post
My new lappy's config.:
HP- C2D/ 4GB/ 320GB/ 15"/ Nvidia 9600GT/ Finger print reader/ Vista Home Premium...
What did you pay for this?
Old 19th November 2008, 20:09   #1348
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
What did you pay for this?
+Blue Ray player.
For 70k + free 1GB RAM upgrade.
Old 19th November 2008, 20:23   #1349
BHPian

Congrats BHP1 for your new possesion.
You have got yourself a fully loaded machine. Why not post some pics as well and give us a glimpse of the entire configuration.
I believe it must be amongst the most powerful machines around here on Team Bhp
Old 19th November 2008, 20:29   #1350
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorheadinc View Post
Congrats BHP1 for your new possesion.
You have got yourself a fully loaded machine. Why not post some pics as well and give us a glimpse of the entire configuration.
I believe it must be amongst the most powerful machines around here on Team Bhp
Thankyou very much Motorhead, if I remember properly, I think your suggestions in initial stages were really helpful in deciding. I took my own time, surveyed the market, weighed all the options, took as many suggestions as I could & finally made up my mind.
True, machine is quite powerful & graphics card is best in the range. Would surely upload pics. when the complimentary Kodak 10MP Camera gets redeemed!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks