Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st October 2008, 17:44   #1306
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorheadinc View Post
congrats dude:

OT: Did you send the 6 cell battery back.
In case no what do you intend to do with it...
Well Motor, I was asked to keep the 6 cell Battery with me cheers:. I use it when I travel...
Old 1st October 2008, 18:05   #1307
BHPian

I am interested in going in for the HCL Leaptop Vseries,I was interested in this because it offers a touchscreen Lcd.Is it a good choice or should I buy the Acer Aspire One or Eee pc.My priorities are the lightest and most compact laptop within 40k.
Old 2nd October 2008, 01:37   #1308
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.V.R View Post
I am interested in going in for the HCL Leaptop Vseries,I was interested in this because it offers a touchscreen Lcd.Is it a good choice or should I buy the Acer Aspire One or Eee pc.My priorities are the lightest and most compact laptop within 40k.
DVR, I am not sure about Aspire One. The Eee PC was INR 18,500 when I last checked in STAPLES a month back, I liked it very much. The one I own is a Dell Vostro 1200. This is not one of the compact's around. But some thing less than 2 Kgs and not compromising on a lot of things is awesome right? he he. The MRP was INR 37,500 after some discounts through office.

Check out some pictures if you wish to:
Picasa Web Albums - Jai - Dell Vostro 1...

Cheers,
Jai
Old 2nd October 2008, 02:05   #1309
aZa
Senior - BHPian

EEE PC has three models

1. 7" screen i think, linux @ 10K in nehruplace

2. 8-9" screen windows xp 15K i think

3. Model 1000H comes with intel atom 1.6, XP @ 23K in nehruplace.

the 1000H looks good
Old 13th October 2008, 09:42   #1310
BHPian

Have a query. Me and cousin picked up a laptop at Chroma. Acer model 15" screen.
Question is: The processor was indicated as T5750 on the laptop. But the OS is saying its a T7500 @ 2.2 HHz. I checked two laptops and it was the same as above.
Is this normal?

And for the techies. Which is better?
T7500 has 4MB L2 cache, 800Mhz FSB. 2.2 Ghz. E1 and G0 stepping.
T5750 has 2MB L2 cache, 667Mhz FSB. 2GHz. M0 stepping
Old 13th October 2008, 10:26   #1311
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_V View Post
That says it all , faster processing power , better temporary storage, faster bus speed and well split processing analogy.

Just make sure that the laptop serial number matches with your warranty card AND your payment slip .Else you wont be covered on guarantee.

Most retailers have inaccurate fact sheets and if this is what your referring to as the difference, then you have no issues.

If the box says 5750 and you have a 7500, check if its a "new" laptop and not a display piece that's been sold in a different box just cause the original packaging was lost.

If the sticker was done wrong on laptop itself , consider yourself lucky on getting a better spec for a bargain!!!.I'm gonna look out for this error on ACER laptops from now on if this is the case , lol
Old 14th October 2008, 08:53   #1312
BHPian

absynthguzzler, the serial number was entered correctly.
Both the display piece and lappy-in-box had labels T5750 but OS showed T7500. I will take the CPU-Z sofware and find out more abt the proc.
Old 14th October 2008, 10:28   #1313
BHPian

Quote:
absynthguzzler, the serial number was entered correctly.
Both the display piece and lappy-in-box had labels T5750 but OS showed T7500. I will take the CPU-Z sofware and find out more abt the proc.
That should do.

BTW please inform us about the model as well.
Who doesnt want laps with faster processors when they are selling for less (Acer is a good VFM product)
Old 14th October 2008, 13:39   #1314
BHPian

Model number 5920.
Paid 38k. Comes with Vista Premium (again the lappy label was wrong, it said basic). Goodies transcend 2GB pen drive, intex headphones (feels average), cleaning kit, anti virus, mouse, lappy bag.
Paid 2000 for two years extended warranty. Not the best deal though i feel.
Old 14th October 2008, 23:51   #1315
BHPian

Quote:
Have a query. Me and cousin picked up a laptop at Chroma. Acer model 15" screen.
Question is: The processor was indicated as T5750 on the laptop. But the OS is saying its a T7500 @ 2.2 HHz. I checked two laptops and it was the same as above.
Is this normal?

Definitely the deal is on your favor. But the fact is that:
OS doesn't have any direct method to verify processor/FSB/ cache on dye or any other Hardware device on board. This is done by BIOS. During POST(Power on self test) an inventory has been made about all hardware devices.

Now the real story: There are certain manufactures / Dealers who will fiddle with the processor SEL values and write what they want there. So next time when the BIOS query the capability of the processor, it will give the fake value and hence using any tool / OS will display the same value.

As you have bought it from a reputed Showroom and reputed brand, I think its not a fiddled around hardware you received. It should happened that the vendor couldn't supply the processor as per order so they have supplied the next higher version of processor. Acer will be aware of the change in spec on a Model they ship but to keep the supply line live they will have to ship it.

Now what you can do: Take it to a local service center , remove the back cover and processor heat sync. Verify the processor Code name written on the dye and if there is no code name there, probably its done purposefully by someone and you will have to contact the manufacturer for a clarification. Hope this helps.

Last edited by HotChillyPepper : 14th October 2008 at 23:53.
Old 15th October 2008, 11:47   #1316
BHPian

Hi all,
I am looking to buy a laptop for myself. Since I use high graphic software like 3d Max, Photoshop, Coreldraw, Revit and soon maybe Maya.And moderate gaming sometimes. I am looking for something with a minimum 2 GB RAM, And NVIDIA Geforce gfx card.I have a budget of 40-42k( can stretch but personally hoping for better stuff for less)

After a medium level research I have considered Compaq CQ50 ( the one ramky spoke of) , the CQ45-200 (but this is dual core and intel processor. only reason i liked this is for the 8 gb upgradeble RAM.)

But I need to have a config which is compatible with all kinds of softwares.. Hope AMD doesnt have such issues?

I prefer XP rather than Vista.Is Loading the OS the same process as in a desktop? I dont want to unnecessarily shell out money for OS replacement.

Please Advice on possible options -even other product recommendations welcome as long as build quality and durability is not an issue.

thanking you in advance,
Renny
Old 15th October 2008, 12:29   #1317
BHPian

Thanks! I did check with CPU-Z and its a T7500. I'll find the serial no/ proc ID. Any idea on how much 2GB DDR2667 for this lappy costs (will the showroom charge too much for this) ?
Old 15th October 2008, 19:48   #1318
BHPian

Quote:
Model number 5920.
Paid 38k. Comes with Vista Premium (again the lappy label was wrong, it said basic). Goodies transcend 2GB pen drive, intex headphones (feels average), cleaning kit, anti virus, mouse, lappy bag.
Paid 2000 for two years extended warranty. Not the best deal though i feel.
Do you mean 2 additional years (i.e. 1 yr standard + 2 year extended = total 3 years warranty)

In that case for 2000 bucks you got a steal. Cheer up dude you got a very good deal. If this is not best for you then I wonder what would be
I paid close to 7k some 2 years back.
If you check Dell similar warranty comes for even more
Old 15th October 2008, 20:27   #1319
Senior - BHPian

It will be better if people may avoid buying Sony Vaio laptops. Within one year the adapter and the battery stopped working and the same happened to my friend. And both costs a bomb, plus there service charges are costly.
Better go for other models.
Old 15th October 2008, 21:37   #1320
BHPian

Hi,
I am looking to buy a new laptop. I cant choose between the Acer 4730z and Compaq 207TU. Do Acer laptops have any problems?
The acer has a 160GB HD and linux, the compaq has a 250 GB HD and vista home. Other than that is there any difference..ie battery life etc?
Can someone please help me decide beteen the two

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks