Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th December 2008, 17:29   #1381
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fountainheader View Post
Guess the Samsung NC10 is the best of the lot.. along with the Acer AspireOne. The EeePC somehow looks very cheap.. unlike the NC10 and the Dell Mini 12.
This is what the experts have to say: follow the link,
Tech2.com India > Gadget of the Year 08 - Netbooks > Features > PCs & Laptops > Laptops

ASUS EEE PC is a good netbook.
Old 30th December 2008, 17:59   #1382
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_V View Post
Why dont you stick to the Core 2 series if you want to spend 50k? Im sure you can find a lot of 13" laptops or 12" laptops with far better performance than a Atom Lappy.
And with a slight increase in budget you could also consider the 13" Core2Duo MacBooks! Run Windows on it if you want. It's well made hardware!
Old 8th January 2009, 16:12   #1383
BHPian

Plannign to replace my current laptop with a new one with Bluray and HDMI support. Have anybody tried out playing HD content on laptop and connect it to your flat panels through the HDMI port ?

I think a buying laptop with HDMI and Bluray support is more useful than buying a dedicated Bluray player.
Old 8th January 2009, 17:00   #1384
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by appuchan View Post
Plannign to replace my current laptop with a new one with Bluray and HDMI support. Have anybody tried out playing HD content on laptop and connect it to your flat panels through the HDMI port ?

I think a buying laptop with HDMI and Bluray support is more useful than buying a dedicated Bluray player.
On the same note which Laptop will be best for this and also the price.
Old 12th January 2009, 11:35   #1385
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by appuchan View Post

I doubt you will get the same level of performance from a laptop. Ofcourse you will need to go for a dedicated graphics card and not depend on Integrated Graphics at all.
Old 13th January 2009, 11:30   #1386
Senior - BHPian

acer aspire one - ownership experience

guys, got a acer aspire one linux version to gift my wifey.

1) got it from Vaibhav solutions, (old) airport road, domlur, bangalore
2) got the Linux version - paid 15,500Rs for it.
3) added on a 2nd year warranty for 1000Rs. worth considering the repair costs!!
4) negotiated to get XP Home O/S + Office Pro (with Access) Pre-loaded onto it. (no CD, just free installation).
5) comes with a tiny charger + carrying case - just a rexine bag looks like a cellphone slipon cover.
6) very cute and small to hold and work.

Performance:

7) not as bad as you guys read above...

8) I 'OPENED' YMgsr, GTalk, MSN Msgr, IE 7, Mozz firefox, AND GOOGLE EARTH (which is supposed to be CHIP+RAM intensive) and they all worked fine. I did not have any issues with MULTI-TASKING. All these app's were open for at least 3-4 hours and was a way to 'stress' test the machine (overheating, RAM error, etc etc).

9) Little overheating - as said on many websites - but ok.

10) Great companion for a starter who needs to do JUST MS Office + some net work. Also pretty Ok when it comes to songs + video. MAX Volume tooooo feeble - plz buy a good headphone.

11) Oh and YES!!! - for 15-16K GREAT VFM - great play thingy for Kids to get into computers @ a early age....!!

PROBLEMS -

12) Screen doesnt help a lot, cant fit app unless you reduce the RES to VERY MINimum - not recomended - so contant RIGHT-DOWN-RIGHT-DOWN procedure LIKE a TYPEWRITER to be done!!

Last edited by svsantosh : 13th January 2009 at 11:33.
Old 13th January 2009, 11:47   #1387
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_V View Post
I doubt you will get the same level of performance from a laptop. Ofcourse you will need to go for a dedicated graphics card and not depend on Integrated Graphics at all.
I had a demo of some of the models and now thinking of going for HP HDX 16t Premium model. Seen it with my colleague and its just amazing.

The list price on HP US website with a fair amount of customization is approximately $1600. I think I can get it much cheaper with some offer sale.

It comes with a 512 MB NVidia GeForce chipset for graphics, HDMI 1.3a port, Blu-ray player and full HD 16" screen as an option.

Last edited by appuchan : 13th January 2009 at 11:49.
Old 13th January 2009, 17:46   #1388
Senior - BHPian

Acer aspire one

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
9) Little overheating - as said on many websites - but ok.
How did you measure? Did you use any application for that?
Old 13th January 2009, 18:00   #1389
Senior - BHPian

Can anyone tell me the diff between Dell Inspiron and Dell Xps?
Old 13th January 2009, 21:31   #1390
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satish_appasani View Post
I use HP Compaq nx 9010(P4 2.4, 450 MB RAM(something that really still doesn't make any sense to me), 40GB HDD, DVD-R/CD-RW, JBL speakers(No good to desktop speakers).
My co-worker's similar laptop beat to death a desktop machine with 4 processors and 1 GB RAM when he ran the same application on both the machines.
Something is missing here!
For one, how do you obtain 450 MB RAM?
The speed of the four processors in the desktop?
Was correct parallel channel, synchronized RAM fitted into the desktop?
What about FSB speeds and L2 cache sizes?
C'mon, you can't really compare two machines with such sketchy technical specs! There is a lot more that needs to be made available.
Old 13th January 2009, 23:42   #1391
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Can anyone tell me the diff between Dell Inspiron and Dell Xps?
Inspiron is budget range & XPS is top of the line graphics/gaming/performance notebooks.
Inspiron models have basic processors-T5XXX, XPS has T8XXX/9XXX SERIES PROCESSORS. XPS also has dedicated graphics cards for superb gaming performance, inspiron comes with only onboard graphics accelerator.
Inspiron range starts from ~30k, goes to 45k, XPS starts from ~50k to 1L.
These are just the basic differences, other aspects like RAM, HDD, LCD, etc. are all higher speced in XPS.
Old 14th January 2009, 10:10   #1392
Senior - BHPian

I need to buy an M power plug for my VP's laptop. He currently uses something called as an "aygo" to which the M Power needs to be connected? Whats the price and where can I find it in Mumbai? And how does it look?
Old 14th January 2009, 16:15   #1393
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp1 View Post
Inspiron is budget range & XPS is top of the line graphics/gaming/performance notebooks.
Inspiron models have basic processors-T5XXX, XPS has T8XXX/9XXX SERIES PROCESSORS. XPS also has dedicated graphics cards for superb gaming performance, inspiron comes with only onboard graphics accelerator.
Inspiron range starts from ~30k, goes to 45k, XPS starts from ~50k to 1L.
These are just the basic differences, other aspects like RAM, HDD, LCD, etc. are all higher speced in XPS.
Thanks mate. Had all this info on hand already. Actually am selling my Sony Vaio and buying a Dell. Now as per my research suggests Inspiron and XPS are the ones i am considering.
Comparing them can't see major differences but price diff is substancial thats why was curious why XPS is expensive.
As Inspiron is also giving basic stuff like 4 gb ram and 320gb hard drive etc.
Old 14th January 2009, 16:38   #1394
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Thanks mate. Had all this info on hand already. Actually am selling my Sony Vaio and buying a Dell. Now as per my research suggests Inspiron and XPS are the ones i am considering.
Comparing them can't see major differences but price diff is substancial thats why was curious why XPS is expensive.
As Inspiron is also giving basic stuff like 4 gb ram and 320gb hard drive etc.
Difference is of build quality to be precise, Inspiron Build quality ain't a match anyhow with that of XPS. However, if you want to have a balance between price and features, i would suggest to look at their Studio Series which is built very well in contrast of inspirion and have a nice config too.
Old 14th January 2009, 20:47   #1395
Senior - BHPian

Does anyone has a Dell XPS M1330 here?

I was thinking of buying this so if someone is using this kindly let me know about its pros and cons.
thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks