Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th December 2008, 01:25   #1366
Senior - BHPian

People buying HP fitted with AMD +nvidia, Or any lappy fitted with AMD+ATI. Please be aware that this particular combo is not reliable in the long run, especially those made by HP and Compaq. The mobo is made by SHIBA, some chinese company, and its not reliable at all. HP simply does not have replacement parts for the same.

It ALways better to go for Intel+Intel combo.
Old 25th December 2008, 09:15   #1367
Senior - BHPian

I picked up a hp dv4 yesterday. seems good and having fun. Good connectivity options and pretty well configured.
Old 26th December 2008, 03:19   #1368
BHPian

Hi guys, I'm also looking to pickup a laptop in the coming week. My MBA classes start in Jan first week and will be using the laptop for the research work, spreadsheets and occasional gaming.

1) Which Brand to go for? As far as my understanding goes, brands like Asus, Fujitsu-Siemens, Toshiba, Panasonic are reliable brands. Dell is not as reliable. Acer, HP and Compaq are even less. Brands like eMachines, Gateway etc. are not even worth considering. Reliability is my top priority (Partly because of the fact that extended warranties seem too expensive to me!). I have also been suggested not to buy NVIDIA based gfx solution and stick to ATI only.

2) Should you buy the extended warranties packages offered? (They typically cost $250 for 3years)

Budget for the laptop is somewhere around 1000$. Need something that will easily run applications even 3 years down the line as I plan to keep this one for long.

Currently have my eyes set on something like this -> Computers: Laptops: Toshiba Satellite 15.4" Laptop featuring Intel Core 2 Duo Processor T5800 (A300-06H) | Best Buy Canada Web Store
OR Newegg.ca - ASUS M51 Series M51Ta-X1 NoteBook AMD Turion 64 X2 RM-70(2.00GHz) 15.4" Wide XGA 3GB Memory 250GB HDD 5400rpm DVD Super Multi ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3650 - Laptops / Notebooks
OR Newegg.ca - ASUS M51 Series M51TA-X2 NoteBook AMD Turion X2 Ultra ZM-82(2.20GHz) 15.4" Wide XGA+ 4GB Memory 250GB HDD 5400rpm DVD Super Multi ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3650 - Laptops / Notebooks

Router -> D-Link DIR-655 Xtreme N Gigabit Router

All in One -> Future Shop: Computers: Printers & Fax Machines: Epson Stylus All-In-One Inkjet Printer (NX400)

Cooling -> Vantec LapCool-2 Dual Fan Notebook Cooler LPC-301 in Canada at TigerDirect.ca OR Newegg.ca - COOLER MASTER NotePal X1 Notebook Cooler Model R9-NBC-2WAK-GP - Laptop Accessories

What are your thoughts guys?

Thanks.

Last edited by ScarySkulls : 26th December 2008 at 03:25.
Old 29th December 2008, 08:30   #1369
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarySkulls View Post
As far as my understanding goes, brands like Asus, Fujitsu-Siemens, Toshiba, Panasonic are reliable brands. Dell is not as reliable. Acer, HP and Compaq are even less. Brands like eMachines, Gateway etc. are not even worth considering.
What are your thoughts guys?

Thanks.
The market leaders are
  1. HP [18.1% market share],
  2. Dell [15.6% market share],
  3. Acer [09.1% market share],
  4. Lenovo [07.8% market share],
  5. Toshiba [04.4% market share],
  6. ...
  7. ...
Don't know how you figured, that lesser selling brands:
Asus, Fujitsu-Siemens, Panasonic, ... are more reliable.
Do educate us.

Ram
Old 29th December 2008, 09:14   #1370
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram View Post
...Don't know how you figured, that lesser selling brands:
Do educate us...
I have the same question, but maybe he is based at some far-east country. Asus is a 'reliable' company here in Singapore and Malaysia.
Old 29th December 2008, 12:25   #1371
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram View Post
The market leaders are
  1. HP [18.1% market share],
  2. Dell [15.6% market share],
  3. Acer [09.1% market share],
  4. Lenovo [07.8% market share],
  5. Toshiba [04.4% market share],
  6. ...
  7. ...
Don't know how you figured, that lesser selling brands:
Do educate us.

Ram
Everyone has a opinion on which is 'reliable' when it comes to laptops.
Old 29th December 2008, 20:02   #1372
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Reliability

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_V View Post
Everyone has a opinion on which is 'reliable' when it comes to laptops.
Reliability is not opinion, conjecture nor intuitive feeling.

Reliability is
". . . the ability of a system or component
to perform its required functions
under stated conditions
for a specified period of time."
-- IEEE definition

What does that mean?

It means Reliability is the ability to last for a specified lifespan in fully-functioning manner.

On the one hand, viruses and Microsoft software crashes impact software reliability. They have no bearing on hardware reliability.

On the other hand, failure of a DVDROM drive, hard drive, failure of a CPU cooling fan, development of LCD screen defects, failure of a memory chip, failure of a GPU... These kind of things impact hardware reliability.

An example:
on overheating due to cooling failure, an AMD microprocessor fails catastrophically. Disgraceful.
What a contrast, from the reversible graceful performance degradation and shutdown, an Intel Pentium 4 exhibits on overheating.
Old 29th December 2008, 20:36   #1373
BHPian

Guys can anyone suggest me a laptop-my requirements are just that it should be 12" screen and weigh not more than 1.5kgs.i will be using my desktop mostly and laptop is only for presentations or carrying some data occasionally.
budget is around 50k
Old 29th December 2008, 20:48   #1374
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carfreak View Post
Guys can anyone suggest me a laptop-my requirements are just that it should be 12" screen and weigh not more than 1.5kgs.i will be using my desktop mostly and laptop is only for presentations or carrying some data occasionally.
budget is around 50k
If I had requirements like yours, I would look at the intel atom series. I love small lappies but i bought an HP tx2000z because i need to use it all the time.

something like this
Amazon.com: ASUS Eee PC 900HA 8.9-Inch Netbook (1.6 GHz Intel ATOM N270 Processor, 1 GB RAM, 160 GB Hard Drive, XP Home) Black: Electronics
Old 29th December 2008, 23:34   #1375
BHPian

I was actually thinking of the acer aspire one!!the specs are similar to the asus and that too has an atom processor!
Old 30th December 2008, 00:35   #1376
BHPian

Laptops with DVD drive bay

If you want a tiny laptop without a DVD bay then your best bet is the MSI Wind.
MSI Wind PC - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If you want a regular laptop then your best bet is the Compaq 6530b with imense options to conjure up your dream laptop. You can buy other brands like Lenovo and Panasonic but make sure you get a "P" series intel processor and 1066FSB capable northbridge chipset.
HP Compaq 6530b Notebook PC specifications - HP Small & Medium Business products

HP Compaq 6530b review - PC Advisor

If you do not mind being burdened with WindowsVista then your value for money option is the Lenovo R400.
Lenovo - ThinkPad R400

Personally I suggest you go with the Compaq as the features are more than adequate and will be competitive 3 years into the future.

Last edited by drpullockaran : 30th December 2008 at 00:37.
Old 30th December 2008, 00:52   #1377
BANNED

Choices are a plenty in the netbook arena now, you've got Acer Aspire One, MSI Wind, ASUS, Lenevo, etc.
Acer Aspire One has a 8.2" screen, whereas ASUS has a 10" LCD.
Old 30th December 2008, 02:25   #1378
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp1 View Post
Choices are a plenty in the netbook arena now, you've got Acer Aspire One, MSI Wind, ASUS, Lenevo, etc.
Acer Aspire One has a 8.2" screen, whereas ASUS has a 10" LCD.
Guess the Samsung NC10 is the best of the lot.. along with the Acer AspireOne. The EeePC somehow looks very cheap.. unlike the NC10 and the Dell Mini 12.
Old 30th December 2008, 07:08   #1379
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesal View Post
the MRP for the same is 45k are u sure u have this model mate. im looking to buy the same. let me know thanks
hi,

i have purchased the 1104ax and not the one mentioned earlier -- didnt see your post earlier.
Old 30th December 2008, 10:24   #1380
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carfreak View Post
budget is around 50k
Atom is a weak processor and the lappy comes along with Intel 945 chipset mobo.

Why dont you stick to the Core 2 series if you want to spend 50k? Im sure you can find a lot of 13" laptops or 12" laptops with far better performance than a Atom Lappy.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks