Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd January 2009, 17:00   #1426
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun View Post
How is Dell Inspiron 1525 ? Anyone using that ?
Yes. Since 9 months. Out in the open an a non AC surrounding. It has helpd up. I had an overheating problem. It was dust blocking the airway. Service prompt.

Excel / Word equivalents, our shop DOS software, Tally, Internet and a little bit of TV programme recording and transferring to CDs.

This is what I do with it.
Old 24th January 2009, 16:52   #1427
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
I am getting an Acer Aspire One for my wifee tomorow. Main usage is wi-fi browsing at home (emails, messengers, voice chat etc.) and MS Office/PDF components for her work. Present offer is 15600 for Linux OS with 1 GB RAM and 160 GB HDD. Should I stick to Linux OS or prefer Win XP Home ? I have an original Win XP Pro installation CD which I had bought for my home desktop 1 year back. Can I install Win XP Pro myself (if you suggest Win XP OS better) using my original CD or ask the showroom to install XP Home duplicate (comes free) ? Experts please advise ! Thanks.
Anyone knows where to get similar deals in Chennai?
Old 24th January 2009, 21:59   #1428
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
Can I install Win XP Pro myself (if you suggest Win XP OS better) using my original CD or ask the showroom to install XP Home duplicate (comes free) ?
XP Pro will probably not accept your serial number on a Dell machine! Dells always come with Bulk Volume Serial numbers and Microsoft knows which ones those were!
Old 24th January 2009, 22:11   #1429
BHPian

Hello,

I would be moving to Australia shortly and would be needing a lappy.This would be the first lappy I would be buying.Needless,to say I have been bitten by the Touch screen bug after a 2 year affair with an O2 atom which is still going strong and an IPOD Touch.So,I even want my laptop to have a touchscreen,a good one which I would like to keep with me for atleast 3 years.I am willing to spend around Rs.75000.

I was initially decided on the HP tx2000,then came tx 2500 and now tx2z.It is available at a good price and has all the features I want like Webcam,bluetooth,Wi-fi,USB port,memory card slot,finger print reader,Windows 7, except a HDMI port which is not much of a concern.On many Tablet PC forums there are discussions that it is not well built and is noisy.Even the mother boards are known to get spoilt after warranty period and Hp not offering international warranty.This is my concern,else I would have bought it by now.

Upon Browsing I have found other Tablets are:

Fujitsu LifeBook T5010
Toshiba Portege M700
Lenovo ThinkPad X200
HP Compaq 2710p

I feel that they are buisness laptops and not much into multimedia.I feel the Fujitsu is good.

My requierments are:

What is your budget?
Around Rs.75000

What size Tablet PC would you prefer?
Anything bigger that a 12"screen.

Do you have any preferences to brand loyalty or dislikes?
No brand problem.

How many hours battery life do you require?
at least 2.5 - 3

What do you intend to use the Tablet for?
Multimedia use.Watch movies,plat games,online surfing through wi-fi,chatting etc.Might also use it to take notes.

Do you have an OS preference?
Win XXXX

What software and tasks do you intend to run?
No major softwares.If photoshop bug bites on I might use it.

Screen Specifics

Do you prefer standard or widescreen?
Widescreen,but not much of a problem.
2. What resolution do you prefer?
SXGA - 1400x1050
WXGA - 1280x768

Do you require an Indoor only or Indoor/Outdoor screen option?
Both Indoor/outdoor

Component Specifics

1. What size Hard Drive and Memory do you require?
HD = no less then 160 GB
MEM: no less then 2 GB

I would like to have USB port,Bluetooth,Wi-fi,Memory card Reader,Webcam,Decent speakers,DVD-writer.

Which one do you suggest.

A great many thanks in advance!!

P.S-

What is the difference between an active Digitizer and Passive digitizer?

What is the purpose of an optical drive?

What is multitouch function?

Is windows 7 a new OS like Vista,XP yet to be launched?

Regards

D.V.R

Last edited by D.V.R : 24th January 2009 at 22:17.
Old 25th January 2009, 12:04   #1430
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashthedivx View Post
Hope you aren't going to use it for any graphic intensive application or gaming !!
You'd be surprised by how much of gaming the little thing can actually handle. As long as expectations are in check, it's a fabulous little machine on the go. Graphics intensive apps aren't my requirement anyway.
Old 25th January 2009, 12:21   #1431
BHPian

@ D.V.R - Walk away from HP and Compaq. They are THE most unreliable in the market today. I own a TX1320US and I have been facing the wireless adapter issue. I am expecting it to conk off anytime. And this is just out of warranty. Their tech support is worse than useless.

I'm just not a frustrated HP customer. But almost every single person I know has had problems with HP. Its as small as audio out not working to dead motherboards. And lets not even get into build quality. If your dead serious about the touch screen your options are very limited. Otherwise you can get a really well config'd Dell XPS which will last you quite a while.

O.T : Does anyone have the mail id of a senior official in HP who I can escalate my laptop problem to. I have already tried mailing to in.ced@hp.com. Its been almost a week and no reply still.

Last edited by flipsyde : 25th January 2009 at 12:22.
Old 25th January 2009, 23:05   #1432
Senior - BHPian

it wont be correct to say HP-Compaq is bad. But I would prefer Dell. Dell has got excellent service support. I can vouch for Dell.
Old 26th January 2009, 22:05   #1433
BHPian

Guys, I am looking for a new netbook. Have a PC at home and a laptop but looking for one for a portable one just for checking mails and editing and reviewing documents.

Wanted to buy a mobile (E71 or E63) but thought a netbook with a good mobile internet connection makes better sense since I am not yet in the level in my company where I just need to send one-liners for which a good mobile like the E71 would be sufficient.

There was an offer where one could get a 120GB HD, 1 GB RAM, LINUX Acer Aspire One for 15.5K but that was for Pongal which I missed out. Is there any scheme running or can I get a reasonable one for less than 17k? I can do with less (60 GB) memory but guess I need the RAM.

Please suggest as I am wasting 3.5 hours a day sitting in the company bus every day which I feel can be used much better with a netbook.
Old 26th January 2009, 22:51   #1434
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proxima View Post
Guys, I am looking for a new netbook. Have a PC at home and a laptop but looking for one for a portable one just for checking mails and editing and reviewing documents.

Wanted to buy a mobile (E71 or E63) but thought a netbook with a good mobile internet connection makes better sense since I am not yet in the level in my company where I just need to send one-liners for which a good mobile like the E71 would be sufficient.

There was an offer where one could get a 120GB HD, 1 GB RAM, LINUX Acer Aspire One for 15.5K but that was for Pongal which I missed out. Is there any scheme running or can I get a reasonable one for less than 17k? I can do with less (60 GB) memory but guess I need the RAM.

Please suggest as I am wasting 3.5 hours a day sitting in the company bus every day which I feel can be used much better with a netbook.
I strongly recommend a Samsung NC10, I'm typing this post on one infact. But its pricey, at 26.5k and if you want a more cost effective option i suggest the Lenovo S10 with 2.5-3hr battery life and great build quality, much better than my samsung and cheaper by 3k. If you want the best keyboard and can do without a VGA-out inbuilt, go for the HP Mini 1000 (NOT the 2133) at 23k. But going by current offers the best option (IF you dont mind a 9" screen instead of 10") is the Acer Aspire One. Currently then can be had for 17.5k easily in Mumbai, even at reputed sores such as Croma.

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 26th January 2009 at 22:52.
Old 27th January 2009, 01:27   #1435
Senior - BHPian

@proxima : Asus S101. Awesome product quality with a good price. Draft-N wireless ( u need a compatible router), WLED backlit display and a polymer battery make it a good package.

another good options are the Dell mini and HP's netbook.

Last edited by devarshi84 : 27th January 2009 at 01:33.
Old 27th January 2009, 08:25   #1436
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingspur View Post
I strongly recommend a Samsung NC10, I'm typing this post on one infact. But its pricey, at 26.5k and if you want a more cost effective option i suggest the Lenovo S10 with 2.5-3hr battery life and great build quality, much better than my samsung and cheaper by 3k. If you want the best keyboard and can do without a VGA-out inbuilt, go for the HP Mini 1000 (NOT the 2133) at 23k. But going by current offers the best option (IF you dont mind a 9" screen instead of 10") is the Acer Aspire One. Currently then can be had for 17.5k easily in Mumbai, even at reputed sores such as Croma.
Thanks flysingspur. So the only option I have below 18k is the Aspire One? Thats sad, because in the US, the Dell Mini 9 and some of Asus's products ate 299$ and below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84 View Post
@proxima : Asus S101. Awesome product quality with a good price. Draft-N wireless ( u need a compatible router), WLED backlit display and a polymer battery make it a good package.

another good options are the Dell mini and HP's netbook.
I just looked up Cnet, this is good but is 251$!! Out of my budget by a long shot. How much do the Dell and HP ones cost?
Old 27th January 2009, 11:32   #1437
Senior - BHPian

Dell and Hp ones are higher up the range. Other cheaper option would be Asus 1000H below 25 grands.
Old 27th January 2009, 19:36   #1438
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proxima View Post
Thanks flysingspur. So the only option I have below 18k is the Aspire One? Thats sad, because in the US, the Dell Mini 9 and some of Asus's products ate 299$ and below.

I just looked up Cnet, this is good but is 251$!! Out of my budget by a long shot. How much do the Dell and HP ones cost?
Anytime. Ask if you have more questions. The Asus is a little expensive, yes, you could get the 1000H/HA but the keyboard isn't quite as good. Dell has a Mini 9 as well as a Mini 12 and in the USA they've slashed prices considerably but those are really basic configs and with SSD. If you want good capacity then SSD won't do, you'll need an HDD which rules out Dell for you. HP Mini 1000 is 24k and Dell is slightly cheaper but has a 9" screen and bad keyboard (F-keys).

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84 View Post
Dell and Hp ones are higher up the range. Other cheaper option would be Asus 1000H below 25 grands.
The only netbook that crosses 25k in India is the Samsung NC10 which is 26.5k. Everything else is below 24.5k.

Let me summarize, from my views.

Best keyboard : HP Mini 1000
Best battery life : Samsung NC10
Best touchpad : Asus EeePC 1000H/HA
Best screen : Samsung NC10
Best VFM : Acer Aspire One
Best build quality : Lenovo S10

I think anyone who has used netbooks extensively or researched deep into them will concur with my views exactly. I haven't commented on looks because that's subjective. The only serious looking stuff here is the Lenovo S10 and Samsung NC10. And MAYBE the HP Mini 1000. Everything else looks like a toy IMO.

Hope this was of some help.
Old 27th January 2009, 21:20   #1439
Senior - BHPian

Your list doesnt include many models including MSI, Dell and Asus S101.

I also agree that Samsung has better battery life but samsung lacks ergonomics which are crucial on a netbook due to size constraints. The HP you are considering is the linux version which is not as fully equipped as the vista version (30K). Again screenwise I find Asus S101 to be better than samsung (need to compare apples to apples). Lenovo is yet to reach the IBM standards.

Last edited by devarshi84 : 27th January 2009 at 21:25.
Old 28th January 2009, 00:16   #1440
Senior - BHPian

The S10 is far better built and more solid to the touch and feel than most of the other netbooks. IBM standards are hardly expected here, consider them a bonus. We're talking netbooks here. I covered the Dell Mini 9 and 12. Croma offered me the HP Mini 1000 (160gb HDD 1gb Ram and Windows XP) for 24k. The MSI is not very common and yes, service is a problem as they're not established in India before the netbook market took shape. The MSI range really does need a refresh now. Samsung offers an international warranty, no questions asked. Wherever Samsungs are sold in the world, your netbook will be serviced.

I bought the Samsung because I felt it had the best (most conventional) keyboard layout and acceptable keyboard size. Second only to HP. And what ergonomics are you talking about?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks