Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st January 2010, 22:03   #2206
Senior - BHPian

New Netbook Querry -

I have been using my IBM Thinkpad R52 ( Celeron M & 512 MB ) for the last 4 years and now need a new Netbook as they are quite easy to carry around.

My basic requirements are E-Mail's & Browsing ( Facebook, Team BHP, Youtube ) and Basic MS Office, Storing Photos & Music. No gaming or Heavy editing.

Please suggest anything between 15 - 20k.

I shortlisted the below notebooks -

Lenovo S10 2
Samsung N 128 and others
HP Mini

Now I also need to know if I should stick to Windows XP or the newer Windows 7. Most of these notebooks have 1 GB Ram so is it sufficient for Windows 7 ?

Thanks in advance
Old 31st January 2010, 23:06   #2207
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by beejay View Post
I ordered my Dell Studio 15 with the new i5 processor today. Should receive the same in 15 days. 3 GB DDR3 RAM, 320GB HD, 2.53GHZ with turbo boost up to 3.06 GHZ, 512 Graphic card, 15.6 screen for 51,800.
Offers- 15 month Mac afee, creative ear phones, facial recognition software.
Hi, did you get 15 month Mc Afee free? I purchased mine during start of month, Studio XPS 16 with i7 processor. Offers were Creative earphones, facial recognition software and with purchase of Mc Afee 15 months costing Rs.1000, free Dell bluetooth headset worth Rs.2700 which fits and sounds pretty nice. Also, its normal to take 12 to 15 days to get delivery at the moment since it took that much time for mine to reach too.
Old 1st February 2010, 00:03   #2208
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkochar View Post
New Netbook Querry -

I have been using my IBM Thinkpad R52 ( Celeron M & 512 MB ) for the last 4 years and now need a new Netbook as they are quite easy to carry around.

My basic requirements are E-Mail's & Browsing ( Facebook, Team BHP, Youtube ) and Basic MS Office, Storing Photos & Music. No gaming or Heavy editing.

Please suggest anything between 15 - 20k.

I shortlisted the below notebooks -

Lenovo S10 2
Samsung N 128 and others
HP Mini

Now I also need to know if I should stick to Windows XP or the newer Windows 7. Most of these notebooks have 1 GB Ram so is it sufficient for Windows 7 ?

Thanks in advance
Hey!

My pick out of the three would be the Samsung N128. It is a nice affordable, no non-sense netbook.

The matte finish display and the 6 cell battery work in favor for this one.

The S10 2, is okay. Apparently the battery juts out in its case (I find that very irritating).

Afaik as I know, the atom and the 945G are able to handle Windows 7 in a decent manner.

Haven't tried though, but what I have heard in the regard has only been encouraging.

Hope this helps a bit!

Regards,

EssYouWe
Old 1st February 2010, 09:50   #2209
Team-BHP Support

My office laptop just got upgraded from the Dell D610 to the Lenovo T400.
This post is not about the deal. Its about the really cool T400.

It looks really good albeit a little heavy. The well made back pack compensates for that. Its is fast. As compared to my earlier laptop. The battery life is super good. I am talking more than 6 hours of working on it without even bothering about the battery.

It supports GSM sim cards. Have not used it as my connection is either LAN or USB based.

Bluetooth is available.
I like the keyboard layout but it needs some getting used to. The Fn and Crtl keys are an issue for me. Keep pressing the Fn instead of the Crtl.

The keyboard illuminator LED light is a nice touch.

Its a very silent laptop. Also it stays really cool.
Old 2nd February 2010, 20:45   #2210
BHPian

Quote:
I ordered my Dell Studio 15 with the new i5 processor today. Should receive the same in 15 days. 3 GB DDR3 RAM, 320GB HD, 2.53GHZ with turbo boost up to 3.06 GHZ, 512 Graphic card, 15.6 screen for 51,800.
Offers- 15 month Mac afee, creative ear phones, facial recognition software.
Please do keep update your order status. I've ordered same on 25th and EDD is 9th Feb :(
Old 3rd February 2010, 09:37   #2211
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smnrock View Post
Please do keep update your order status. I've ordered same on 25th and EDD is 9th Feb :(
Of course. They said it would take 15 days. Will update the day I receive it.
Old 4th February 2010, 17:37   #2212
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Products how much did it cost?

Take the dumy card off and insert the card you want to work on!
Its the 3D laptop ! 5738DG

beejay: nice choice!

The naming convention is so damn confusing now though.

Last edited by jkdas : 4th February 2010 at 17:38.
Old 4th February 2010, 21:13   #2213
BHPian

Just picked up a Dell Inspiron Mini 10" for wifey for 19500/- looks damn cool in Purple color and does a good for browsing net
Old 4th February 2010, 21:28   #2214
BHPian

DELL New Inspiron 15

Guys,

Getting the DELL New Inspiron 15 with the following config,

i3-330M, 15.6" Hi Def WLED, 4 GB DDR3, 320 GB 7200 rpm Hard Disk, ATi Radeon 4330 512 MB Graphics, Windows 7 Premium 64 bit, Belkin Simple Backpack (15.6") ... totals to around 40487 Rs (including Delivery charges) but then might buy it through the employee scheme, so works out quite well.

However, what I was really looking at was the same config with the New Inspiron 14. Looks like DELL lately has seriously reduced the levels of customization online, especially with the Inspiron range. The Inspiron 14 was my first preference because they seem to have reduced the dimmensions and especially the weight. But then, in the only two pre-configurations which came close to my requirements, one only had 2 GB RAM (had everything else though with Windows 7 Basic, not a deal breaker though) while you couldn't upgrade the Graphics on the other configuration. Called the DELL customer support too, to check if it would be possible but was told that they've stopped customization in this range. Well, the other option would have been to get a 2 GB DDR3 module from outside but then doesn't seem worth the trouble.

Am sure one of you management guys would be able to throw some light on their strategy
Old 4th February 2010, 21:30   #2215
BHPian

Originally posted by me ....

Bought an ACER 5738G two days back with following specs:

C2D T6600, win7 home pemium, 15.6" HD LCD, 4GB DDR3 memory, dedicated ATI graphic card, 320GB HDD,Finger print reader, crystal eye web cam, Dolby Home theater sound....

Quote:
Whats the price for this model?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Products how much did it cost?

Take the dumy card off and insert the card you want to work on!
Sorry guys! I was travelling so couldn't log on to the forum.

I got it for Rs.39,780/- from an Acer Mall in Delhi.

Last edited by breezydrive : 4th February 2010 at 21:35.
Old 4th February 2010, 22:40   #2216
BHPian

Emachines: notebook at a netbook price

A couple of weeks back I bought an emachines notebook for my father. I was scouting for a model with a large enough screen (read 15.6") with a decent dual core processor (at least 2 GHz) and DDR3 RAM. A small hard disk, just 1GB RAM and lack of bluetooth - none of these was a deal breaker because my father would use it only for wordprocessing and internet surfing. I gave myself a budget of Rs. 30,000 which would, in addition, include an entry level laser printer too.

The Acer Emachines E725 at Rs. 23,800 and a Samsung laser at Rs. 4,500 fitted the bill perfectly. The E725 has a Pentium Dual Core T4400, 1GB DDR3, 160GB HDD, Wi-Fi, DVD Writer, Webcam and Cardreader. In addition to the HDD capacity and amount of RAM the other notable compromises in the model are: only 2 USB ports and no inbuilt microphone. The build quality is definitely better than low priced Lenovo models. The newly launched Toshiba at Rs. 25,000 should be a better buy but it only has a 14" screen which would not suit my 72 years old father. The best part about the E725 was that the Wi-Fi worked out of the box when I ran Linux Mint off a CD.
Old 5th February 2010, 21:20   #2217
BHPian

Mac Book Pro - Suggestions Needed

Guys,

I'm planning to buy a new Mac Book Pro 13' configuration. Currently in Germany, these machines sell for 1400 Euros (the high end version). I would like to know how much would they cost in India?
Old 5th February 2010, 21:31   #2218
BHPian

Check out this site for an indication of prices in India:
Web design, Software Development, Domain hosting and Multimedia solutions - Shriasys
Old 10th February 2010, 15:10   #2219
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3mon View Post
Speaking of MSI, here's the MSI X340

Core 2 Solo ULV SU3500, 2GB DDR2 800Mhz, WIMAX, BT, HDMI, VGA, 2xUSB, 13.4" 1366x768, 1.3kg, 6-19.8mm, 2yr International warranty.

How's this for 23.5k with a backpack + headset + MTS Broadband usb modem worth 3.5k free ?

Was out looking to buy a netbook, spotted this and fell in love immediately. So got it home a couple of days back, and am loving it thoroughly
Hey mate,

You got a good deal. I too am using the CR400 and GX400 and I must admit, both of these are value for money and support is great here in mumbai. I don't see this brand much in Mumbai but I did recently get in touch with a guy who introduced me to a distributor of MSI and I got to know that they can give much better prices and offer a wider range of products.
Old 10th February 2010, 15:13   #2220
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssYouWe View Post
Lol!

Samsung, LG etc are all good for refrigerators and TVs. They aren't OEMs for Laptops and their laptops will invariably suck.

Strongly advise against such companies.

Look at the Inspiron 13z and 14z.

MSI is a great company with no support. Same goes for Asus. If you aren't a hardcore techy, you would be better off with a company offering decent A.S.S.

Sony etc are just style statements. Macs have their own legion of fans. I am not one though! Might be coz I can't afford one.
But they are good products in their own right... albeit a bit overpriced.

All the best with the search!

@EssYouW, who said MSI does not have good support ? Out of personal experience I can vouch for their service being better than HP who just claim to have great support. Last time my issue with hardware was sorted out within an hour at the service center as against another reputed brands who would want the customer to leave the notebook and come after a day or two to collect the repaired piece.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks