Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 19th July 2013, 11:15   #3706
Senior - BHPian

re: THE Laptop Thread: Configs, deals and questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by beejay View Post
Hope this is the right place to post.

I plan to instal Cbiz, a recruitment software for 4 machines. 2 desktops and 2 laptops.

The cbiz guys told me I would need a server to connect all four.

Three machines are going to be 1 room. 2 desktops and 1 laptops.

The computer guy in Coonoor is confused and I dont want him to use me as a test mule. What is the best option guys?

How is the cloud server? Is it very expensive?

I am okay to dump the desktops and get all laptops, if that makes it any easier and cheaper.

Really appreciate all inputs and other options

Benny John
World is slowly moving away from desktops to laptops and iPads, so think on those lines for long term use. The advantages are - no UPS, less desk space and most useful - potability. A wireless LAN (b,g,n will give you upto 100 mbps http://www.flipkart.com/computers/ne...FTF04godNQwAtA) is all you need to connect the laptops to a central server.

The software developers knows best, so if he says a server, then you need a server. You can configure one of the desk tops to act as a simple server. XP professional has all the software components to run as a simple server.
Old 19th July 2013, 17:49   #3707
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
World is slowly moving away from desktops to laptops and iPads, so think on those lines for long term use. The advantages are - no UPS, less desk space and most useful - potability. A wireless LAN (b,g,n will give you upto 100 mbps http://www.flipkart.com/computers/ne...FTF04godNQwAtA) is all you need to connect the laptops to a central server.

The software developers knows best, so if he says a server, then you need a server. You can configure one of the desk tops to act as a simple server. XP professional has all the software components to run as a simple server.
Thank you, so lap top it is.

Any idea how much it would cost to install a sever and what I need to watch out for.
Old 19th July 2013, 18:09   #3708
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
World is slowly moving away from desktops to laptops and iPads, so think on those lines for long term use. The advantages are - no UPS, less desk space and most useful - potability.
That will be very useful if I am feeling thirsty. Anyway, what about the disadvantages of laptops over desktops.

- Desktops are more robust than laptops. And they last much longer.
- If you are programmer, you will always find it more convenient to program/debug on a desktop.
- Laptops are more easily stolen than desktops.
- Desktops are usually cheaper for a similar configuration.
Old 20th July 2013, 10:30   #3709
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
That will be very useful if I am feeling thirsty. Anyway, what about the disadvantages of laptops over desktops.

- Desktops are more robust than laptops. And they last much longer.
- If you are programmer, you will always find it more convenient to program/debug on a desktop.
- Laptops are more easily stolen than desktops.
- Desktops are usually cheaper for a similar configuration.
If you are a user in office environment, then Laptops win, especially in a SOHO environment.

Regarding robustness, a good laptop is more robust compared to a normal desktop. Yes it is more expensive, but you save on UPS, power and desk space - a significant cost for corporates where hundreds of machines are used.

Server.
You either convert your existing desktop to a server, or buy a dedicated server from established players - IBM, HP, Dell. A basic server with software would set you back by 40-50K. But then these are server grade machines designed for 24x7 uptime with onsite warranty.

Last edited by Aroy : 20th July 2013 at 10:33.
Old 20th July 2013, 11:19   #3710
BANNED

Quote:
Regarding robustness, a good laptop is more robust compared to a normal desktop. Yes it is more expensive, but you save on UPS, power and desk space - a significant cost for corporates where hundreds of machines are used.
I find 25000Rs Desktops to be as robust as 50000Rs laptops. I have never had a laptop which has not given issues in the first or 2nd year itself. I have used laptops from Dell, Thinkpad, Gateway and some others also probably. My current Rs. 75000 Lenovo T430 has just had it's motherboard replaced under warranty in the 9th month of it's operation. I have had a Dell laptop keyboard replaced in the first month. I have had a Gateway keyboard keys breaking in 6 months and charger slot breaking in 9 months & motherboard conking off in the 14th month. I have had an earlier Thinkpad battery overheating and conking off in 1.5 years and the overheating also causing the motherboard to go bad.

OTOH, I have very rarely had desktops giving problems in the work environment - almost never in probably 15 years of using them (not the same desktop but different ones). And a good quality assembled desktop used at home which gave it's first problem after 3 years (had to replace the harddisk). The desktop lasted for 8+ years before I threw it out because it was too slow to run XP SP3. However, it didn't ever need a motherboard change. Just some minor repairs couple of times other than the one time hard disk change.
Old 20th July 2013, 12:29   #3711
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I find 25000Rs Desktops to be as robust as 50000Rs laptops. I have never had a laptop which has not given issues in the first or 2nd year itself. I have used laptops from Dell, Thinkpad, Gateway and some others also probably. My current Rs. 75000 Lenovo T430 has just had it's motherboard replaced under warranty in the 9th month of it's operation. I have had a Dell laptop keyboard replaced in the first month. I have had a Gateway keyboard keys breaking in 6 months and charger slot breaking in 9 months & motherboard conking off in the 14th month. I have had an earlier Thinkpad battery overheating and conking off in 1.5 years and the overheating also causing the motherboard to go bad.

OTOH, I have very rarely had desktops giving problems in the work environment - almost never in probably 15 years of using them (not the same desktop but different ones). And a good quality assembled desktop used at home which gave it's first problem after 3 years (had to replace the harddisk). The desktop lasted for 8+ years before I threw it out because it was too slow to run XP SP3. However, it didn't ever need a motherboard change. Just some minor repairs couple of times other than the one time hard disk change.
In my case, none of the assembled Desktops have ever given any trouble over the last 15 years. But then I usually get the high end Intel motherboards.

Same is the case with Laptops - we have five at home the oldest being an IBM R50 going strong for more than 8 years. My X61 is six years old and still going strong. The only problematic one was from HP which had a documented design flaw.

The reason corporates are changing to laptops is that not only it reduces desk real estate (an expensive commodity) but reduces power (hence AC) requirements and makes UPS obsolete.

Agreed that laptop of equal quality costs 50% more and that their upgrade options are limited, but over a 3-5 years horizon most users rarely need an upgrade and with 3 years warranty you get a peace of mind. The savings stated above more than make up the higher purchase price.

Where a desktop shines is
. Servers
. High end work stations
. Multimonitor environment
Old 20th July 2013, 13:23   #3712
BANNED

Quote:
In my case, none of the assembled Desktops have ever given any trouble over the last 15 years. But then I usually get the high end Intel motherboards.

Same is the case with Laptops - we have five at home the oldest being an IBM R50 going strong for more than 8 years. My X61 is six years old and still going strong. The only problematic one was from HP which had a documented design flaw.
You must not be a rough user. I am a rough user - both with personal and work computers. But I think in a office settings, where the person doesn't own the machine, you will have 50% probability of a rough use.

Quote:
The reason corporates are changing to laptops is that not only it reduces desk real estate (an expensive commodity) but reduces power (hence AC) requirements and makes UPS obsolete.
I agree there is some amount of deskspace saved. But in case of a desktop, the unit itself can be kept under the desk. So the space on the desk is taken up only by the keyboard, mouse and monitor. So I am not sure how big a saving it is.
Quote:

Agreed that laptop of equal quality costs 50% more and that their upgrade options are limited, but over a 3-5 years horizon most users rarely need an upgrade and with 3 years warranty you get a peace of mind. The savings stated above more than make up the higher purchase price.
Add somewhere between 10-15K for the additional cost per laptop + 5000 per laptop for an extended warranty - I am not sure if the UPS+Electricity cost will really break even in 3 years.
Old 21st July 2013, 22:24   #3713
BHPian

My HP laptop gave up after many attempts to get it going. Now I'm thinking of replacing it with a MacBook Pro. Both my last two laptops started giving problems after approx 2 years of use.

From what I've seen, Lenovo / IBM laptops seem to be more robust than the others but their cost appear closer to MacBooks and this is influencing my decision.

The primary use will be web app development using Python/DJango, PHP, image editing. I also plan on getting a good DSLR and get into photography in a big way.

What are your suggestions Team BHPians ?.
Old 21st July 2013, 22:55   #3714
Senior - BHPian

The Branded Vs Assembled war is quite old now.

I had an assembled PC way back in 2001 and it gave me lots of trouble every now and then. But I am not saying that assembled PCs are not good. It's just that what components you have used in your custom PC. If one gets poor quality/local components then there will be problems for sure. May be that PC was assembled using poor quality parts (I was in sixth standard then - hardly any knowledge of hardware components - system was referred by a family friend).

Now I have a HP Pavilion PC at home for family use and it has been a good experience so far.
Old 21st July 2013, 23:33   #3715
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivriti View Post
My HP laptop gave up after many attempts to get it going. Now I'm thinking of replacing it with a MacBook Pro. Both my last two laptops started giving problems after approx 2 years of use.

From what I've seen, Lenovo / IBM laptops seem to be more robust than the others but their cost appear closer to MacBooks and this is influencing my decision.

The primary use will be web app development using Python/DJango, PHP, image editing. I also plan on getting a good DSLR and get into photography in a big way.

What are your suggestions Team BHPians ?.
Get a dell vostro or lenovo thinkpad if consumer level laptops die out soon for you.

But it may be wise to consider what went wrong with your laptops and why? Modern logic boards and chips rarely go bad..unless- you clogged them with dust/lint and they overheated.
Old 22nd July 2013, 01:30   #3716
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsingh View Post
Get a dell vostro or lenovo thinkpad if consumer level laptops die out soon for you.

But it may be wise to consider what went wrong with your laptops and why? Modern logic boards and chips rarely go bad..unless- you clogged them with dust/lint and they overheated.
I don't recommend the Thinkpad. I have owned a couple of thinkpads (my current laptop is Rs. 75000 T430 Thinkpad) - it's motherboard has had to be replaced once already within the first year & I found Lenovo's customer service to be pathetic (I have written about it somewhere in the last few pages). I don't know how exactly the Vostro compares, but at least Dell's customer service is outstanding.
Old 22nd July 2013, 10:32   #3717
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I don't recommend the Thinkpad. I have owned a couple of thinkpads (my current laptop is Rs. 75000 T430 Thinkpad) - it's motherboard has had to be replaced once already within the first year & I found Lenovo's customer service to be pathetic (I have written about it somewhere in the last few pages). I don't know how exactly the Vostro compares, but at least Dell's customer service is outstanding.
As an owner of a Dell XPS 15 (Sep 2011), I agree to the statement that their customer service is good. But could this be to due to the fact that their laptops are not as robust and they need to sell replacement parts.

I bought the XPS 15 (supposedly a premium laptop) with 1 yr warranty in Sep 2011 (they tried to sell me on 2-3 years warranty). Anyway, within 6 months the DVD writer had to replaced in warranty. Similar problem with DVD writer from Dec 2012 (now out of warranty). Plus for the last 3-4 months, battery also does not charge properly and gets drained quickly.
Old 22nd July 2013, 10:50   #3718
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva View Post
As an owner of a Dell XPS 15 (Sep 2011), I agree to the statement that their customer service is good. But could this be to due to the fact that their laptops are not as robust and they need to sell replacement parts.
I don't see any of the laptop manufactures building robust laptops. Considering that my next business laptop would be the one with the best customer service and I will go for a 3 year warranty. As of now, that looks like a Dell laptop.
Old 22nd July 2013, 18:55   #3719
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsingh View Post

Aren't Dell Vostros the low end laptops ?. At least thats what it is considered in the US. Was thinking of Inspiron/XPS but the higher end ones are priced in Macbook territory.

The last two laptops that went down were bought and initially used in the US. First one started giving troubles when there itself. Problems with the two ranged from network cards, video cards, battery charging, display etc.

Currently I use an assembled PC.
Old 22nd July 2013, 19:20   #3720
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivriti View Post

Aren't Dell Vostros the low end laptops ?. At least thats what it is considered in the US. .
My dear friend vostros are the dell equivalents of thinkpads. They are built for heavy duty corporate use.They come with 3 year warranty and 5 year guarantee of service and spares availability.

Most Viewed