Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th June 2013, 12:19   #3676
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
Is buying a laptop from Dell's website (www.dell.co.in) recommended ? I found their rates lower than flipkart or even offline stores.
Ofcourse, the offline store rates I compared were without bargaining. I am not very good at that.. :(
The final price difference is pretty low in most cases (less than 1.5K), I would go for buying at an actual shop, since in most cases you have the peace of mind that the new gadget you are paying a fortune for, actually works well, most shops will allow you to check the piece before billing.

Fault percentage might be very small, but it's there.
Old 24th June 2013, 14:53   #3677
Senior - BHPian

re: THE Laptop Thread: Configs, deals and questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post
The final price difference is pretty low in most cases (less than 1.5K), I would go for buying at an actual shop, since in most cases you have the peace of mind that the new gadget you are paying a fortune for, actually works well, most shops will allow you to check the piece before billing.

Fault percentage might be very small, but it's there.
Thank you. But in this case, the difference seems to be well over 3k (before negotiations).
The shopkeeper has offered to throw in some freebies , but I dont think they would collectively cost that much.

And is "1 Year Accidental Damage Protection with Premium Phone Support -Retail" any different to or an addition to regular onsite warranty offered by most others ?
Old 24th June 2013, 15:12   #3678
BANNED

Quote:

Thank you. But in this case, the difference seems to be well over 3k (before negotiations).
The shopkeeper has offered to throw in some freebies , but I dont think they would collectively cost that much.

And is "1 Year Accidental Damage Protection with Premium Phone Support -Retail" any different to or an addition to regular onsite warranty offered by most others ?
This is the standard warranty offered by Dell.

Try a couple of other shops as well, some offer nearly the same rates as online if you haggle a bit.
Old 24th June 2013, 23:55   #3679
BHPian

Hi everybody
I have a Dell Inspiron (I think 5040)
When I start the computer I get a message that it is advisable to clean the disk and the disk cleaning has been cancelled.
I have not done it and I do not know how to restore the process.
I am technologically challenged and will appreciate step by step help.
Thanks a lot and regards
Old 25th June 2013, 00:24   #3680
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Dell India website once used to offer wide range of customisation possible on a single machine which is sadly not the case any more.
Old 3rd July 2013, 23:25   #3681
Senior - BHPian

I have Sony Vaio purchased in US 4 years ago and running Vista Home Premium.
The Hibernate Option has disappeared from the submenu of Shutdown.
How to bring it back?
The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions-hibernate.jpg
Old 3rd July 2013, 23:40   #3682
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoXLGrandDi View Post
How to bring it back?
It's usually there in power options in the control panel go there and check
Old 4th July 2013, 10:11   #3683
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
How to bring it back?
Attachment 1105709
Normally Hibernate requires the OS to set aside disk space for the memory image. In case you have inadvertently disabled hibernate option, it will not appear in the shutdown menu.

Go to power opttions and enable the hibernate option.
Old 5th July 2013, 15:19   #3684
Distinguished - BHPian

My dell studio laptop battery is refusing to charge. It happened very abruptly. I had a full charge battery and once the battery drained after approx 2 hours , i plugged in the charger. The charging symbol comes on in the task bar but the charge refuses to increase. Its still remaining @ 10% remaining even after 1 hour charging. Also the battery symbol which mimics filling up when the charger is plugged in stays put ! Any idea what could be the problem?
Old 5th July 2013, 18:24   #3685
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
My dell studio laptop battery is refusing to charge. It happened very abruptly. I had a full charge battery and once the battery drained after approx 2 hours , i plugged in the charger. The charging symbol comes on in the task bar but the charge refuses to increase. Its still remaining @ 10% remaining even after 1 hour charging. Also the battery symbol which mimics filling up when the charger is plugged in stays put ! Any idea what could be the problem?
The control chip in the batery has gone. Happened in my IBM X60s. Suddenly the battery is not there (and not charging either).
http://www.lapis-semi.com/en/semicon/monitor/mk5208.htm
http://www.microchip.com/wwwproducts...cName=en541458

Your only recorse is to get a new batery, unless you know some one who can open the battery pack and replace the chip.
Old 5th July 2013, 23:29   #3686
Senior - BHPian

One more query regarding the above laptop.
The Battery is behaving strangely.
I had replaced the original battery with new one (Sony) for Rs.4950/- with 1 year warranty.
The battery is not holding charge for even 10-15 mins. It gets discharged and the Laptop goes to Hibernate mode.
Also when I restart the Laptop and connect the charger to it, the Battery meter (system tray icon) shows (or should I say Jump) Battery Fully charged (100%) directly from 20-25%.
Is it possible that the Chip as mentioned in above post has been damaged?
Today I went to the shop from where I purchased the battery, but the owner was not there. I will visit him tomorrow and update.
Old 6th July 2013, 00:11   #3687
Senior - BHPian

Just now checked that Battery backup is as below-
I turned Charger Off at 11:52 pm the battery was 100% charged and at 12:07 am it was 10%.
Old 6th July 2013, 01:41   #3688
BANNED

Quote:
I turned Charger Off at 11:52 pm the battery was 100% charged and at 12:07 am it was 10%.
I also had a similar problem once. Most probably you need a calibration. Here's how to do it .Try discharging the battery completely once to 0%, by disabling the auto shut down or hibernation feature. Then charge it completely. Preferably, don't use it while charging. Charge to 100%.
Disconnect the charger and use it normally.
See the problem is it can't measure the remaining charge accurately. It gets fixed by this method. Be sure to try it.
Old 6th July 2013, 10:35   #3689
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The battery is getting discharged. If it is in warranty get it replaced. A fresh battery should retain its charge for at least one year if it is disconnected. I rarely switch my laptop off, just put it in sleep mode, and it discharges < 20% overnight.

To check if it is the battery or the laptop that is in error -
. Charge the battery till it shows 100% charge.
. Switch the laptop off.
. Disconnect the battery.
. Reconnect after 12 hours and check the charge.

If it shows more than 5% discharge (charge = 95%), the battery is fine, and the laptop is consuming the power.

If the battery shows discharge (charge < 90%) then it is gone.
Old 6th July 2013, 17:16   #3690
BANNED

Just wanted to write about my experience with Lenovo Customer Service. My work laptop is a Lenovo Thinkpad which cost around 70-75K. I have interacted with their call center (will rate it 5/10 - 2 very good experiences and 3 awful experiences). I have interacted on the phone with their Santacruz service center (3/10) and personally with their Chembur service center (3/10).

The laptop was under warranty and it took nearly 25 days and 100s of phone calls and a wasted day to get my laptop serviced for a problem which was diagnosed correctly on day 1 - motherboard had to be changed. From then on, it became a nightmare for the part to come and for the service guy to arrive. Finally though my laptop had a 24 hour on-site SLA as part of the warranty, I had to close my complaint for a on-site visit, then go to the Chembur service center - log a new case - wait 4 days for the part, visit the center again & wait 8 hours for the motherboard to be replaced.

My next work laptop will be a Dell!!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks