Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th February 2012, 10:03   #3436
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru

Even then, they say that it would not be as good as seeing the text on the native resolution of say 720p. Will 1366x768 resolution be so bad, that one could not have it on a XPS 15" machine? Will this be equal to or better than my 1280x800 resolution Inspiron 6000 machine(Have used this for almost 6 years now)? Any users of a XPS 15 machine with 1366x768 resolution, here?

Also, how would low resolution videos play out on a 1080p laptop?

I can cancel or modify my order in next 24 hours.
Well.... most of the untrained eyes will not be able to spot the difference unless you put those two screens side by side. If you are planing to use it extensively for watching movies... then the 1080p makes absolute sense.

And please consider the fact that most notebooks sold in the market do not have a full HD screen but still they do respectable numbers.

If I were you, considering the fact that am shelling out close to 60~70k on the notebook, I would blindly go for the higher resolution screen which is just a 6k add on to make it complete.

Moreover, other components like RAM, HDD etc can be upgraded easily while the screen cannot be upgraded at all. Am sure you have opted for the back lit key board too... eh?
Old 27th February 2012, 10:47   #3437
BHPian

Re:720p vs 1080p on a XPS 15.6" laptop screen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warwithwheels View Post
Well.... most of the untrained eyes will not be able to spot the difference unless you put those two screens side by side. If you are planing to use it extensively for watching movies... then the 1080p makes absolute sense.
I am not into gaming or HD movies as such, rather more so into documentation and reading/study of lot of content, hence the texts getting smaller on the 1080p machine is a issue. I am happy with Inspiron 6000, and now am going to XPS 15 just coz am not able to scale up my current machine to run MS Virtual PC.

Quote:
And please consider the fact that most notebooks sold in the market do not have a full HD screen but still they do respectable numbers.
Yes. So, do people opt for 1080p screens only for gaming and HD videos?

Quote:
If I were you, considering the fact that am shelling out close to 60~70k on the notebook, I would blindly go for the higher resolution screen which is just a 6k add on to make it complete.
The difference between screens is $150.

Quote:
Moreover, other components like RAM, HDD etc can be upgraded easily while the screen cannot be upgraded at all. Am sure you have opted for the back lit key board too... eh?
Correct. So would like to know, would a 1080p screen serve my purpose? Is it that difficult to work with text on full HD screens? There are lots of reviews on dell site, saying it becomes difficult reading the text.

Here is the config. i have ordered.

Item Description: ----------------------------------------------------
XPS 15 - XPS 15, Genuine Windows® 7 Professional, 64bit, English
-----------------------
-- Processor --
-- 2nd generation Intel® Core™ i7-2670QM processor (2.20 GHz, with Turbo Boost 2.0 up to 3.10 GHz)
-----------------------
-- Memory --
-- 8GB Shared Dual Channel DDR3 Memory
-----------------------
-- Keyboard --
-- Backlit Keyboard - English
-----------------------
-- LCD --
-- 15.6 in HD WLED TL (1366x768) with Skype-Certified 2.0MP HD Webcam & Facial Recognition
-----------------------
-- Video Card --
-- NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 540M 2GB graphics with Optimus
-----------------------
-- Hard Drive --
-- 750GB 7200 RPM SATA Hard Drive
-----------------------
-- Color --
-- Elemental Silver Aluminum
-----------------------
-- Operating System --
-- Genuine Windows® 7 Professional, 64bit, English
-----------------------
-- Integrated Network Adapter --
-- Integrated 10/100/1000 Network Card
-----------------------
-- CD ROM/DVD ROM --
-- Tray Load Blu-ray Disc BD-Combo (Reads BD and Writes to DVD/CD)
-----------------------
-- Sound --
-- JBL 2.1 Speakers with Waves Maxx Audio 3
-----------------------
-- Wireless --
-- Intel© Centrino© Advanced-N 6230 & Bluetooth 3.0
-----------------------
-- Anti-Virus/Security Suite (Pre-installed) --
-- McAfee SecurityCenter, 36-Months
-----------------------
-- Battery --
-- 90 WHr 9-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery
-----------------------
-- Recovery Tools --
-- Genuine Windows® 7 Professional OS, 64bit, English, Recovery DVD
-----------------------
-- Save $100 on Dell XPS 15 and XPS 17 laptops
- $100.00Subtotal: $999.99Shipping and Handling: $25.00Sales Tax: $94.81Total Amount: $1,119.80
Old 27th February 2012, 15:00   #3438
Senior - BHPian

re: THE Laptop Thread: Configs, deals and questions

You can always change the font size of the text in most of the applications today. Text of same visual size on a higher resolution screen will always have better visual effect compared to text on a lower resolution screen, because there will be more points to define the font. You can make the text larger on a higher resolution screen, while you cannot make the text smaller on a lower resolution screen.

Graphics will also look smoother and better on a higher resolution screen.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2012, 17:28   #3439
Senior - BHPian

HI guys, I am a complete green horn when it comes to computers. I need to replace my HP-Compaq nx 6120 asap with a reliable and not so expensive alternate.

My use is basically on my office table and maybe take it out when I am travelling for more than a few days.(but then there the ipad for that). Still i would have to carry it many a times so it should not be very bulky. 2 kgs max.

What i want in my notebook/laptop/whatchamacallit:

1)Screen: Between a 14-15.6" (CHANGED TO SCREEN)
2)HDD: 750-1TB HDD
3)RAM: 6-8 GB
4)OS Windows & Pro (64 bit)....(CHANGED TO OS)
5)The usual bells and whistles which come with such a set up.

I want to know;
a) Which make to go for.
b) What would it cost
c) Where should i buy it from in Bombay/USA. (prefer Bombay as there would be the element of back up, warranty and service involved. Im told to stay away from Dell and to look for HP/Toshiba products)

PS:

(i) Ive been told about NAS drives. Which one and what config should i get these for and from where. Any specific company to get it from.

(ii) Media player: I saw this at Chroma for 13k for a Western Digital one. another company, whose mane i forget was selling a similar, identical product for 9k? Confused!!

Kindly treat this as urgent.Thanks is anticipation.

Last edited by GTO : 12th March 2012 at 14:50. Reason: Editing your post as requested
Old 9th March 2012, 18:03   #3440
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
c) Where should i buy it from in Bombay/USA. (prefer Bombay as there would be the element of back up, warranty and service involved. Im told to stay away from Dell and to look for HP/Toshiba products)
Go for Dell XPS 14 and DO BUY 3 year warranty. Will cost 60 - 75k for recent specs.

Dell has excellent service in Bombay. For XPS machines, they send a tech + replacement parts Next business day.

If your budget is lower, forget Dell.
NetfreakBombay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2012, 12:19   #3441
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
b) What would it cost
You can also go for Lenovo Thinkpad series. They are marginally more expensive but carry International warranty. With all bells and whistles you may not get a laptop of 2kg but 2.5kg is doable. The Thinkpad T520 will suit your requirements. If you buy in US, get 3 years International warranty.
Old 10th March 2012, 13:05   #3442
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1)Screen: Between a 14-15.6" (CHANGED TO SCREEN)
2)HDD: 750-1TB HDD
3)RAM: 6-8 GB
4)OS Windows & Pro (64 bit)....(CHANGED TO OS)
5)The usual bells and whistles which come with such a set up.
Why not try the newly launched series 5 ultrabook from Samsung? I have been using a samsung notebook for the last three years. It has never let me down even once.

The newly launched ultrabook series is incredibly thin and would be easy to carry it along. The 14" version comes with a built in optical drive too!

Check out this video!
Warwithwheels is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2012, 13:56   #3443
Senior - BHPian

The specifications of the 14" model would meet most of your requirements. And all this for a incredible VFM price of INR 54.XXX

The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions-f04.jpg

Operating System
Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium (64-bit)

Display
LCD 35.56cm (14.0) SuperBright 300nit HD LED Display (1366 x 768), Anti-Reflective

Graphic
AMD Radeon™ HD7550M - 1GB DDR3 (Ext. Graphic)

Storage
HDD - 1TB S-ATA II Hard Drive (5400RPM) with ExpressCache 16GB
ODD - Super Multi Dual Layer Multimedia

Sound
HD Audio Sound Effect
Noise Suppression Mic
Speaker - 4 watts Stereo Speaker (2 watts x 2)

Integrated Camera
1.3 megapixel HD Webcam

Processor
Intel® Core™ i5 Processor 2467M (1.60GHz, 3MB L3 Cache)

Physical Specification
Dimension (WxDxH) 333.0 x 229.5 x 20.9mm (13.1" x 9.0" x 0.82")
Weight - 1.79Kg (3.94 lbs)

Memory
6GB DDR3 System Memory at 1,333MHz (on BD 4GB + 2GB x 1)

Main Chipset
Intel HM65

Source: Samsung India Website

Last edited by Warwithwheels : 10th March 2012 at 14:00.
Warwithwheels is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2012, 16:05   #3444
Senior - BHPian

Thanks guys for all the help and advice. I will be deciding on a Laptop by Monday-Tuesday. Wonder why no one recommended Toshiba/HP?
Old 10th March 2012, 18:27   #3445
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks guys for all the help and advice. I will be deciding on a Laptop by Monday-Tuesday. Wonder why no one recommended Toshiba/HP?
Toshiba is good, but service is a bit iffy. HP brought quite a few bad laptops a few years back, and then they were contemplating closing down their personal computer division.

Dell is today the top selling brand, and the Lenovo (erstwhile IBM) Thinkpad one of the more rugged ones with bulletproof reliability and world wide support.
Old 13th March 2012, 15:43   #3446
Senior - BHPian

I think Lenovo is resting on its laurels and perhaps because they have a brand equity in the enterprise space, they neglect the consumer space.

In the consumer space when I bought my laptop in Sep 2011, I found Dell to be the most customisable. For the same price, Lenovo either had inferior configs or no option to bring it on par with Dell at the factory level (eg 5400 to 7200 rpm HDD could only be done in aftermarket, etc).
Old 14th March 2012, 19:46   #3447
BHPian

Need a basic desktop for my father. Mail, Skype and little surfing are his primary tasks. Reliability and cost are the two parameters I am after.

Any recommendations ?
Old 14th March 2012, 21:40   #3448
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonelyPlanet View Post
Need a basic desktop for my father. Mail, Skype and little surfing are his primary tasks. Reliability and cost are the two parameters I am after.

Any recommendations ?
My recommendation : Sony VAIO E Series VPCEH25EN or VPCEH26EN
Reasons : 15' screen is a minimum for aged eyes, 2nd Gen Intel Processor to not annoy by being slow to respond, Expandable RAM just in case the piece gets passed on for other uses, + the usual bells & whistles. My Dell's had heating problems after a while. Other brands are either costly/unreliable.
Old 16th March 2012, 16:04   #3449
Senior - BHPian

Guys, I am planning to buy a new laptop. Budget is Rs. 35000 max.

Requirements are :

1) It should look good.
2) It should comes loaded with Windows basic (windows premium not required).
3) It should be fast & have decent HDD.
4) It should have a decent cam.
5) It should have a num pad, this is compulsory!

Now, I have shortlisted the Lenovo Z570, G570 & HP DV6. I browsed though Flipkart & found -

1) Lenovo Z570, 3GB RAM, 750GB HDD, 2nd gen i3 for Rs. 33851/-
2) Lenovo G570, 3GB RAM, 500GB HDD, 2nd gen i3 for Rs. 31906/-
3) HP DV6, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD, 2nd gen i3, 1 GB graphics card for Rs. 39448/-

Now I really like the DV6 for it's looks & it's premium feel, but its a little over my budget. I really dont need the graphics card & I can also live 3GB RAM. Will I get that configuration? Maybe it will drop the price to 35k then.

What's your opinion about the above two models?

Dell is too costly for the specs. Acer & Toshiba in this range looks dated & boring.
Old 17th March 2012, 13:51   #3450
Distinguished - BHPian

Help

Guys,please help me.I use a 2 and half year old Lenovo G450 Win7 Home premium,4 GB RAM,320GB HDD,Pentium Dual Core 2.10Ghz and have had a trouble free use till yesterday.Since yesterday,I've noticed that the laptop is heating up a lot.I can even smell that hot air from it.Fan is perfectly working.I use it on flat surface most of the times.Now also its heated but i'm using a flat base.What could be wrong?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks