Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st October 2013, 17:33   #3916
mxx
BHPian

re: THE Laptop Thread: Configs, deals and questions

Anyone knows where I can buy hp zBook? most retailer and and even hp stores only stock pavilions or envy.
Old 1st November 2013, 15:31   #3917
Senior - BHPian

Fixed up my 3+ years old HP G62 yesterday. The battery was kaput (was not holding charge at all) and the laptop was showing warning signs for the same while starting up. Also quite a few keys had stopped working on the upper right hand corner of the keyboard.
Did some research online and found out that replacing the keyboard is very easy task for this particular model. Replacing battery can be done eyes closed.
Did not want to spend much as I rarely use the laptop now a days and it is only used sparingly by my wife only to check emails etc.
Thus ordered non OEM (read Chinese) but compatible parts (keyboard & battery) from ebay, and after 15 minutes of tinkering - good battery life and fully functional keyboard for less than Rs 2200 .
Old 1st November 2013, 17:16   #3918
BHPian

I have a laptop which is 5+ Years old. Now the laptop has following issues,
1. System getting shut down (off) in between.
2. DVD Drive not working
3. WiFi not working. Now functional by adding a WiFi adapter
4. Battery does not hold any charge. So I have to keep the power supply always ON.

Should I replace the laptop or get it repaired?
Old 1st November 2013, 17:29   #3919
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxTorque View Post
I have a laptop which is 5+ Years old. Now the laptop has following issues,
1. System getting shut down (off) in between.
2. DVD Drive not working
3. WiFi not working. Now functional by adding a WiFi adapter
4. Battery does not hold any charge. So I have to keep the power supply always ON.

Should I replace the laptop or get it repaired?
1. Indicates system overheating. Perhaps the CPU fan is not working (properly).
4. Battery individual cells can be replaced if you know where to source the replacement. My dad had opened up his Dell laptop battery and replaced 2 out of the 6 cells inside. I don't know where he sourced them, though.
But, I think it requires skill and patience. Else go for a new battery.
Old 1st November 2013, 17:34   #3920
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
1. Indicates system overheating. Perhaps the CPU fan is not working (properly).
4. Battery individual cells can be replaced if you know where to source the replacement.
Thanks for the quick reply. While switching on the laptop, I am able to hear the sound of CPU cooling fan. Don't know what else to check. I too think it's something related to CPU.
Old 16th November 2013, 19:48   #3921
BHPian

I have two queries:

One, I am looking to buy a laptop primarily for software development. Optionally I want to use it for watching films and gaming. I have been using desktop both in office and house till now.

As for software, I need to install Visual Studio 2010 to start with. I would also want to install SQL Server 2008 Express. I am planning for software development in WPF, WCF and ASP.NET MVC.

What would be the best configuration and brand to go for? Which OS is recommended?

Two, I would like to purchase legal version of Visual Studio 2010. How much will it cost and how I do go about purchasing one? In my office, IT guys mentioned MSDN subscription, but I have never been involved in software purchases till now.

Please guide me how to go about setting up my system.
Old 16th November 2013, 23:09   #3922
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltoLXI View Post
Two, I would like to purchase legal version of Visual Studio 2010. How much will it cost and how I do go about purchasing one? In my office, IT guys mentioned MSDN subscription, but I have never been involved in software purchases till now.
Are you going to do commercial software development or just for fun? If it's non-commercial, then VS Express should be good enough.

From a developer perspective, these are the specs I will go for (I have no idea about gaming - the last games I played seriously were Prince of Persia in 1992 & Doom in 1996).
Processor - i3 or better should be good enough
RAM - 4GB RAM should be enough. If you want to run more than 1 Virtual Machine in the laptop simultaneously, then go for 8GB RAM
OS - Win7 64 bit is good.

Last edited by carboy : 16th November 2013 at 23:12.
Old 16th November 2013, 23:33   #3923
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Are you going to do commercial software development or just for fun? If it's non-commercial, then VS Express should be good enough.
I am starting off with POCs and later into commercial software development. I guess I will start with VS Express and later purchase VS professional.
Old 17th November 2013, 10:13   #3924
Senior - BHPian

Gotthe new Flex2 LEnovo 14"- i5, 4GB, Nvidia-2GB, etc for my son.I was disappointed to find only one DIMM slot populated with 4GB (8GB allowed). Else, it is lovely. Any other Haswell i5 touch systems, which are good?
Old 17th November 2013, 12:45   #3925
Senior - BHPian

Here is an indication for VS prices
http://www.visualstudio.com/products/how-to-buy-vs

you can get started for free
https://login.live.com/login.srf?wa=...UyNTNEMHg0MDk1

As far as the machine goes it is better to have a fast machine if you want the debugger to run. So an i5 or i7 (depending on your finances) is warranted. Win7 64 with 8GB RAM should be enough.

Further a large screen real estate would enable multiple windows to be displayed. Hence an HD display with provision for an external monitor helps.

I use the desktop with 3 monitors and dual Xeon for development and the laptop for client demonstration and minor code revisions on the road.
Old 17th November 2013, 13:23   #3926
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Two, I would like to purchase legal version of Visual Studio 2010. How much will it cost
Fortunately, cost in Zero. You can begin with "Express" versions that are free and Legal.

http://www.visualstudio.com/download...sual-studio-vs

You will need paid versions once you have team of developers and need advanced management features.

Quote:
how I do go about purchasing one? In my office, IT guys mentioned MSDN subscription
That is correct advice. For most small teams, MSDN is the way to go. You get legal versions of whole MS stack (OS/Office/Azure/DB..). E.g. if you need to support users with Windows Vista / 7 you need not buy these OS. You can download these for free if you have MSDN.

But you dont need it on day 1. Express editions of Visual Studio, SQL Server are sufficient for learning and POCs of desktop / MIS/ Mobile Apps.
Quote:
Please guide me how to go about setting up my system.
What is your budget? Any system with i5 / i7 + 8 GB RAM and 64 Bit OS will do. But things like large monitors and SSD make development easier.
Old 17th November 2013, 15:31   #3927
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
As far as the machine goes it is better to have a fast machine if you want the debugger to run. So an i5 or i7 (depending on your finances) is warranted. Win7 64 with 8GB RAM should be enough.
I will go with i5 / 8 GB RAM / Win 7 64. I do not intend to spend more than 50k - 60k on laptop. I would rather spend more on purchasing software for development activities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
You get legal versions of whole MS stack (OS/Office/Azure/DB..). E.g. if you need to support users with Windows Vista / 7 you need not buy these OS.

What is your budget? Any system with i5 / i7 + 8 GB RAM and 64 Bit OS will do.
I will go with VS Express and MS SQL Express 2008. My software budget is 50k and intend to spend 50k - 60k on laptop. What will be the ballpark estimate for purchasing MSDN subscription if I restrict my development activities to use WPF/WCF/MVC and SQL Server 2008?
Old 17th November 2013, 21:04   #3928
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What will be the ballpark estimate for purchasing MSDN subscription if I restrict my development activities to use WPF/WCF/MVC and SQL Server 2008?
MSDN will cost 33k (note that that you might not need it)

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/...ctID.258860100

Quote:
intend to spend 50k - 60k on laptop.
For development, desktop might be cheaper (and better). Since you can easily add storage / RAM if needed.

For example, if your project needs SSAS 2008 for data analysis you can just add a 2 TB HDD (+32 GB RAM) and run dev instance with full dataset.

And if you buy MSDN, you can easily add OS to desktop free of cost.
Old 18th November 2013, 13:17   #3929
gemi_kk

Quote:
One, I am looking to buy a laptop primarily for software development. Optionally I want to use it for watching films and gaming. I have been using desktop both in office and house till now.

As for software, I need to install Visual Studio 2010 to start with. I would also want to install SQL Server 2008 Express. I am planning for software development in WPF, WCF and ASP.NET MVC.
I think, you would need the following hardware.
- Processor. Any Core i* series. (Good if you could get your hands on a Quad core laptop instead of a dual core. )
- Ram - Atleast 6 GB (Pick laptop having 1600Mhz ram). If you dont get it in your machine, add it lateron.
I am currently doing the same activities, which you have described and i have 4GB. All i can say is, its not at all sufficient, if you are running VM + VS + Outlook + IE/Chrome. I am running a linux VM(RHEL) and the Ram usage shoots up to 3.7GB. The OS limits this. If not, i think it would definitely exceed 4GB.
- HDD. Never get a HDD. Go and buy a SSD immideately. would need it for optimal performance.

Rest of the stuff like monitor resolution, keyboad type, etc. pick as per your taste.

Old 18th November 2013, 14:23   #3930
Senior - BHPian

One quickie. I have just got the 14" Lenovo Flex 2 for my son. The point is how do we get the free upgrade to Win 8.1?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks