Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th May 2016, 14:35   #4681
AYP
Senior - BHPian

Re: THE Laptop Thread: Configs, deals and questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by inder View Post
I am looking for a laptop to be used mainly for Autocad and other Architecture related applications.The config I am looking at is :
Core i5 (6th gen)
8 GB RAM
1TB HDD
15" screen
and preloaded Windows.
Have shortlisted HP15-ab516TX which is available for 52k at the HP store.
Is it a good choice? Also the difference between online and shop is hardly 1-2k . So prefer buying it from store.
How about this-
http://www.dell.com/in/p/inspiron-15...15-5559-laptop

Though it costs a bit more, it comes with 4gb graphics and a full HD display.
Old 7th May 2016, 16:32   #4682
BHPian

^^My budget is around 50k, its almost 10k dearer.
Old 9th May 2016, 13:00   #4683
BHPian

@abeer
I bought a Asus ux 305 a while ago, have been very happy with it. You should take a look at that as well.
Getting 8hrs+ battery life with it.

@Inder, for AutoCAD get an SSD,FHD screen, 16 GB ram and a number pad. The above is minimum for a frustration free experience. Budget can be flexible if you can keep the machine a bit longer. Maybe 4 years or so.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 9th May 2016 at 14:00. Reason: merged back to back posts
Old 9th May 2016, 17:18   #4684
Senior - BHPian

Autocad can be frustration in a slower processor and a lower resolution screen. I have used it on a small screen and the loss in productivity is not worth it. If you have ever worked on a desktop with a large HD screen(s) and a mouse you will know that.
Old 27th May 2016, 03:57   #4685
BHPian

Win 7 - Slow performance after resuming from Sleep mode

Hi Bhpians,

Hoping someone can help me resolve an issue I have been having with my laptop.
I am getting extremely slow system performance after resuming the computer from sleep mode. I am using Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit with 4Gb RAM.

Things I've already tried:

1. Updated the graphics card drivers
2. Disabled third party services and start-up items
3. Power plans to balanced setting
4. Ran process monitor - no errors detected; all processes running fine

The problem of slow performance occurs for about 10 minutes after resuming from sleep mode - the computer works fine after that. During this time however, the hard drive is continuously being read/written (and I mean continuously - the light does not even flicker for one second; it is constantly on). Everything is super-slowed down - if I click on the start icon, the menu pops up after about 1 to one-and-a-half minutes. Playing a video takes about 5 minutes (clocked it at 4:56!).

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks and regards.
Old 27th May 2016, 10:36   #4686
BHPian

Re: Win 7 - Slow performance after resuming from Sleep mode

This is something we have noticed with our office laptops as well. Guess there is nothing much that can be done. Looks to be a default issue with Win 7. Same issue happens even after resuming from hibernation.
Old 27th May 2016, 10:40   #4687
Senior - BHPian

It is actually better to switch off or hibernate than actually keep the system in sleep. Specially if you have SDD the start up times have been improved so much that my system wakes up faster from restart than sleep.

It takes less than 30 seconds to freshly start my computer which has a SDD.

Your other option is to move away from HDD to SDD and use the hDD as additional storage. This will expedite the wake up process.

Also check if the HDD speed is 5400 or 7200rpm. Even changing it to 7200 RPM is good to expedite the wake up time.
Old 27th May 2016, 10:52   #4688
BHPian

Could be a fragmented disk. Check how much of free space is available on the system disk, and see if the data can be moved to another disk. Another risk/possibility is that the disk is having bad clusters. If possible to re-install, a fresh format and install is likely to clear the issues.
Old 28th May 2016, 00:06   #4689
BHPian

The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeper1941 View Post
Hoping someone can help me resolve an issue I have been having with my laptop. am getting extremely slow system performance.
sounds like you checked task manager to see which process is taking time? Put it to hibernate with the task manager switched on. You could log activity to disk. Try reducing your swap memory size and also disable antivirus (to check if it helps), if you have the privilege! Could be malware too, switch off wifi and try as well.

Last edited by diyguy : 28th May 2016 at 00:09.
Old 11th June 2016, 06:05   #4690
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions

Dear All,
I have a simple question to: Are power cords universal?

From what I understand, the power cord is the cable that connects your socket and adapter (or transformer, the big rectangular part in your charger)

I'm currently in the USA and I have my got laptop from India. When my power cord is plugged in with a travel adapter, it's too bulky and keeps falling from the socket. Simply put: it's inconvenient to use.

I considered a 3 pin adapter, but then also saw this on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Belkin-Prong-...top+power+cord

I don't need an adapter for my phone, so will the above cable be compatible with my laptop? Plus, I have an advantage as I have grounding.
My current power cord has these specifications:
The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions-img_20160610_172646.jpg

Thanks in Advance

Last edited by landcruiser123 : 11th June 2016 at 06:12.
Old 11th June 2016, 10:03   #4691
BANNED

On my Ideapad 14 on Win10SL, I suddenly had Tally 9 erp refusing to run with out of memory error. On fishing around I found two possible sources. A corrupt data file or some printer driver. The former I ruled out by moving to my wife's Toshiba - i3, 2GB and Win10Pro. Runs perfectly. As for printers yes I have shifted my Samsung SCX-3400 to wireless from USB. Removed and reinstalled the driver. Zilch.

So maybe the next system I buy will be MacPro or even Air with Tally running through Wine!
Old 11th June 2016, 10:08   #4692
Senior - BHPian

Yes most power cords are universal as far as the voltage is concerned. Some have more current rating (large laptop) while others have low current capacity (modems phone etc). The connectors at each end are specific.

The end which goes into the power socket is tailored for the country standard.
The end which goes into the adapter is adapter specific.

Most chargers for consumer electronics are wide voltage : 100 - 270+, so that the chargers can be used across the world, but check the input voltage on the chargers, as some may be either 110V or 220V only.
Old 11th June 2016, 10:17   #4693
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
Dear All,
I have a simple question to: Are power cords universal?

From what I understand, the power cord is the cable that connects your socket and adapter (or transformer, the big rectangular part in your charger)

When you ask universal, do you mean if they will work on 220v vs the 110v prevalent in the US? If so, yes due to their mobility, laptops are designed to support worldwide voltage. However, the IEC connector that fits into the charger (as you called it) could be different. The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions-imageuploadedbyteambhp1465620414.527730.jpg
Old 19th June 2016, 09:53   #4694
BHPian

If I purchase a Dell laptop in the US and bring it to India (model not available in India)

Will I still get Warranty ?
Old 19th June 2016, 11:15   #4695
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alter.e.go View Post
If I purchase a Dell laptop in the US and bring it to India (model not available in India)

Will I still get Warranty ?
Normally the warranties are for US only, but you can purchase International Warranties for multiple years (2 to 5 years) for most major manufacturers.

The problem is that if the model is not sold in India and uses some specialized parts, replacement may take ages as the parts will be sourced from either South East Asia depot, or in some cases from US.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks