Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 17th September 2016, 18:08   #4771
BANNED

Re: The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions

I'm planning to buy a budget laptop for my wife.

Shortlisted an ASUS one. No one in the family has used an ASUS lappy yet, although their PC components are going strong. All are Dell loyalists.

So how is the overall reliability & service support of ASUS laptops?
Old 18th September 2016, 08:00   #4772
BANNED

@mithun; I had an early top end Asus once. i7, 8GB etc. It was quite good, but the keyboard was not brilliant. What let it down was the pathetic hard disc access. It seems that they fixed this issue somewhere, since the Brother-in-law of our son bought essentially the same, and there was no HDD problem.

I had bought the Asus on the premise since they are OE for many so might as well save some money.
Old 21st September 2016, 20:26   #4773
BHPian

Hello everyone!

I am planning to buy a laptop under Rs 35,000. I'm a novice in all these so I am very much dependent upon suggestions I get here.

I am not an Engineer but a Law student. The laptop would majorly be used for documentation and usage will be limited to normal day to day stuffs.

Occasionally I would like to play games on it. So if games like GTA5, assassin's creed etc runs on it even in medium settings, I am more than happy.

Please suggest me with some good laptops keeping in mind the requirements and budget.

Thanks
Aakarsh
Old 22nd September 2016, 09:35   #4774
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aakarsh View Post
Hello everyone!

I am planning to buy a laptop under Rs 35,000. I'm a novice in all these so I am very much dependent upon suggestions I get here.

I am not an Engineer but a Law student. The laptop would majorly be used for documentation and usage will be limited to normal day to day stuffs.

Occasionally I would like to play games on it. So if games like GTA5, assassin's creed etc runs on it even in medium settings, I am more than happy.

Please suggest me with some good laptops keeping in mind the requirements and budget.

Thanks

Aakarsh

Hey Aakash!
The requirements don't really match up. A 35k laptop means an i3 with 4gb of RAM and an entry level GPU, which is not much better than integrated graphics. That spec is more than good enough to work on documents and the others, but is inadequate to run the kind of games you have mentioned. I'd suggest a stretch to probably a 45k bracket if possible.
If not, the dell Inspiron 5000 series, or Asus A555LF. Both come with i3,4Gb RAM, 1TB disk and 2gb graphics within your price range.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 25th September 2016 at 12:59. Reason: Removing unwanted spacing in the quoted post. Please check before posting.
Old 22nd September 2016, 11:05   #4775
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun View Post
I'm planning to buy a budget laptop for my wife.

Shortlisted an ASUS one. No one in the family has used an ASUS lappy yet, although their PC components are going strong. All are Dell loyalists.

So how is the overall reliability & service support of ASUS laptops?
I have 2 Asus Vivobook ultrabooks (S550 and S400) using for the past 4 years. S550 is my primary work laptop and was being used 12+ hours a day, 6 days a week for 4 years. It is still going strong except the battery which now gives ~1hour battery life and the SSD cache which it no longer detects.
Apart from theses, there are no other issues and even the OS never had to be formatted or restored.

The S400 is a backup/travel laptop. It still boots up in 3 secs and gives 6+ hours backup even after 4 years.

I also have a Asus T300 Transformer and Asus Nexus 7 2012 tab. Nexus still works but it lags a lot. Transformer no longer switches on since I deep discharged its battery by not using it for an year.

Overall Asus had been a reliable brand for me in the mid segment. But I cant say the same for their budget laptops. The quality of their budget laptops feels very low.
Attached Thumbnails
The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions-1474522499570.jpg  

Last edited by Holyghost : 22nd September 2016 at 11:08.
Old 24th September 2016, 19:49   #4776
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkkkkaran View Post
Hey Aakash!
The requirements don't really match up. A 35k laptop means an i3 with 4gb of RAM and an entry level GPU, which is not much better than integrated graphics. That spec is more than good enough to work on documents and the others, but is inadequate to run the kind of games you have mentioned. I'd suggest a stretch to probably a 45k bracket if possible.
If not, the dell Inspiron 5000 series, or Asus A555LF. Both come with i3,4Gb RAM, 1TB disk and 2gb graphics within your price range.
Thanks Karan!

I had shortlisted few laptops in the price range I mentioned. Amongst all, the one which I am willing to buy is Asus A555LF-257D or 366D. Both of them comes with i3-5010U 5th gen processor which clocks at 2.1 GHz. They have 2GB Nvidia 930M graphics card. 4 GB ram is there but the same can be upgraded as there is an unused slot too.
Would you recommend me going with it or I should look at something else ?

Thanks
Aakarsh
Old 24th September 2016, 19:55   #4777
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Karan!

I had shortlisted few laptops in the price range I mentioned. Amongst all, the one which I am willing to buy is Asus A555LF-257D or 366D. Both of them comes with i3-5010U 5th gen processor which clocks at 2.1 GHz. They have 2GB Nvidia 930M graphics card. 4 GB ram is there but the same can be upgraded as there is an unused slot too.

Would you recommend me going with it or I should look at something else ?

Thanks

Aakarsh
In terms of VFM, i dont see a better spec available. Only possible issue may be, that asus repairs may not be as good as dell/hp. If you are comfortable with that, go ahead with the purchase.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 25th September 2016 at 12:58. Reason: Removing unwanted spacing in the quoted post. Please check before posting.
Old 25th September 2016, 12:52   #4778
BHPian

Quote:
In terms of VFM, i dont see a better spec available. Only possible issue may be, that asus repairs may not be as good as dell/hp. If you are comfortable with that, go ahead with the purchase.
Even I heard that after sales service of Asus was not up to the mark but as far as latest reports suggest, service has marginally improved. So I am looking forward to book the same laptop as soon as possible.

Karan, is there any difference between 257D and 366D ? Any ideas ?

Thanks
Old 25th September 2016, 13:00   #4779
BHPian

Quote:
Even I heard that after sales service of Asus was not up to the mark but as far as latest reports suggest, service has marginally improved. So I am looking forward to book the same laptop as soon as possible.

Karan, is there any difference between 257D and 366D ? Any ideas ?

Thanks
Nope, I dont see a difference in spec, as much as I try. The only difference i saw was color, but that maybe because i was looking at amazon.
Old 29th September 2016, 00:21   #4780
BHPian

Guys - please help a noob in selecting one of the following laptops:

http://www.hpshopping.in/hp_pavilion_x360_-_13-u104tu

Vs

http://www.dell.com/in/p/inspiron-13...-2-in-1-laptop

Tasks are basic office use. Both laptops have very similar config.

Thanks in advance!
Old 2nd October 2016, 00:38   #4781
BHPian

Quote:
Nope, I dont see a difference in spec, as much as I try. The only difference i saw was color, but that maybe because i was looking at amazon.
Hey Karan!

I ordered ASUS A555LF-366D just now. Made the payment of Rs. 32,899 and I will get Paytm cash back of Rs. 3,280 in my Paytm wallet within 24 hours after the product is shipped.
So, the effective price is around Rs. 29,600. Got a great deal, thanks to the competitive festive offers.

Thanks for clearing the doubts I had. I think this product is the best VFM I could get in this price range.

Best regards
Aakarsh
Old 4th October 2016, 11:22   #4782
BHPian

My brother has just now ordered this - HP Imprint Core i3 - (4 GB/1 TB HDD/DOS) X5Q17PA 15-be005TU Notebook
http://dl.flipkart.com/dl/hp-imprint...oduct.share.pp

Thanks to the Big Billion sale, it costed him just under 23k. VFM I must say!
Hope the actual product doesn't disappoint.
Usage- Extremely basic.
Old 4th October 2016, 11:49   #4783
BHPian

Need some help from fellow members and experts. Looking to replace a 7 year old ageing Toshiba with a new one. Its a home laptop (movies, songs etc.) which will be used for office work as well (memory and processor hogging VPNs will be used) and so looking at something which wont want me to pull my hair off every time I start working. Looking for decent to good sound quality as well from the speakers as it will used for listening to songs too.

Open to Mac or Windows. Slightly confused on the processor (i5/i7) and the ram (4/8/16 GB). Wont be using it for gaming and so graphics chips is not a must but good to have. Preliminary investigations have revealed that Dell is best in Windows when it comes to after sales service. So looking for either Macbook Air 13" or something in Dell.

Budget - would limit it to around 65-70k at most

Any suggestions between these two or any other brands I should be looking at?
Old 4th October 2016, 12:12   #4784
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by centaur View Post
Need some help from fellow members and experts. Looking to replace a 7 year old ageing Toshiba with a new one. Its a home laptop (movies, songs etc.) which will be used for office work as well (memory and processor hogging VPNs will be used) and so looking at something which wont want me to pull my hair off every time I start working. Looking for decent to good sound quality as well from the speakers as it will used for listening to songs too.

Open to Mac or Windows. Slightly confused on the processor (i5/i7) and the ram (4/8/16 GB). Wont be using it for gaming and so graphics chips is not a must but good to have. Preliminary investigations have revealed that Dell is best in Windows when it comes to after sales service. So looking for either Macbook Air 13" or something in Dell.

Dell has just launched its range of 7th gen intel i5 and i7 laptops in India. A dell inspiron 5000 series version with an i7/8gb ram from the new range was up for around 65k on amazon when i saw yesterday. The pricier 7000 series should be slightly higher
Old 4th October 2016, 12:28   #4785
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by centaur View Post

Just saw this pop up on Amazon. HP with a 7th gen Core i5 for 54K.

http://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B01L...f_rd_i=desktop

I am also on the look out but not able to finalize.

Most Viewed