Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 20th June 2017, 12:19   #4921
BHPian

Re: The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
This model of ZenBook 3 has 4GB of on board ram, like most modern UltraBooks (Apple Air etc), and ALSO has a additional RAM port for adding more ram (upto 16 GB more). So you need not worry about faulty motherboards. That can happen to the best of laptops.

Also the similar model on Dell 7560 with a SSD costs about 90k. Additional 4GB ram (to take total ram to 8GB ) costs just 2k. Just the 128 GB m.2 SSD, that is installed on this ZenBook, costs around 8k in India. The SATA ones are cheaper. Also in the form factor and the all aluminum build and finish, the Dell lags far behind. These ZenBooks looks, feels and performs as a very premium UltraBook, hence putting Asus in World no. 2 slot this year.

Take the call according to your needs. I have installed additional 8 GB - DDR4 ram for just 4200 bucks, taking total ram upto 12GB, and now this ZenBook is a performance monster with a more than double the battery backup of what the Dell 7560 would have offered me, at nearly half the weight and form factor.

Cheers...
Couple of questions dkaile:

1) How heavy is the laptop ? Can you carry/close/handle it with one hand ?

2) How long does the battery hold up ? Say under a normal usage.

Planning to get this one.
Old 20th June 2017, 12:36   #4922
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnniHilat0R View Post
1) How heavy is the laptop ? Can you carry/close/handle it with one hand ?

2) How long does the battery hold up ? Say under a normal usage.
1) 1.4 kg. You can carry it and close it with one hand easily. It's possible to open it with one hand, though I prefer to use the additional finger to open it up.

2) 6-7 hours should be easily attainable under 'normal' usage. 8-9 hours on light usage. 4 hours on heavy usage.

Also take a look at the 2017 July launches if you can wait. But they will be costlier. Upgrade the ram and you will make it a powerhouse. Boot time is less than 8 seconds after initial setup.

Cheers...
Old 20th June 2017, 13:00   #4923
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
1) 1.4 kg. You can carry it and close it with one hand easily. It's possible to open it with one hand, though I prefer to use the additional finger to open it up.

2) 6-7 hours should be easily attainable under 'normal' usage. 8-9 hours on light usage. 4 hours on heavy usage.

Also take a look at the 2017 July launches if you can wait. But they will be costlier. Upgrade the ram and you will make it a powerhouse. Boot time is less than 8 seconds after initial setup.

Cheers...
Thanks for the quick reply dkaile! Appreciate it. Will definitely look up for the 2017 July launches and see whats the tentative price range, if not will go for this.
Old 22nd June 2017, 09:47   #4924
Senior - BHPian

Hello BHPians,
I had a few questions:
Is the 13.3 inch macbook pro a good device for 55k? All she does is skype and browsing. My mother wants a new laptop and she can easily manage with the 128GB storage if it has about 80GB of free space.

Try not to distract me from Macs as she wants a light and compact laptop which can last for 6-7 years without slowing down.

Also, how reliable is Cashify to sell old laptops?

TIA
Old 22nd June 2017, 10:37   #4925
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
Hello BHPians,
I had a few questions:
Is the 13.3 inch macbook pro a good device for 55k? All she does is skype and browsing. My mother wants a new laptop and she can easily manage with the 128GB storage if it has about 80GB of free space.

Try not to distract me from Macs as she wants a light and compact laptop which can last for 6-7 years without slowing down.

TIA

Are you sure its the macbook pro and not the macbook air?
It is a very decent device, but then for her usage, why not get something like an ipad/ipad pro with a keyboard?
Old 22nd June 2017, 11:59   #4926
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkkkkaran View Post
Are you sure its the macbook pro and not the macbook air?
It is a very decent device, but then for her usage, why not get something like an ipad/ipad pro with a keyboard?
Sorry, it's the Air.
Sorry, iPad won't work. She's more comfortable with laptops.
Old 22nd June 2017, 12:04   #4927
BHPian

Quote:
Sorry, it's the Air.

Sorry, iPad won't work. She's more comfortable with laptops.

If she has been used to windows devices, I wouldnt make her swap unless she is the tech savvy kinds.
Not trying to dissuade you, im a huge fan myself, but the relearning can get on the nerves.
Have a look at the Asus Zenbook, Microsoft surface, LG gram, HP envy etc.
Otherwise, you can consider installing windows via bootcamp on the mac also.
Old 22nd June 2017, 12:16   #4928
BHPian

Quote:
Hello BHPians,
I had a few questions:

TIA
Yes, for the price it (the Air) is a brilliant device. I paid 58k for it last year after cashback on PayTm. Right now, I think it is for 50k or so on PayTm post cashback. You may want to look at that.
For the usage intended, the Air is the best bet. Ridiculuosly light, excellent battery life, good build quality and looks nice too.
Old 22nd June 2017, 15:11   #4929
Senior - BHPian

So after a lot of deliberations I took the plunge and bought this:

https://www.shoplenovo.co.in/lenovo-...0hea02eig.html

What a classy business ultrabook! And the keyboard lives up to the hype. What a feel! Unlike anything I have tried my hands at.
Boot up times are amazing and thanks to Dkaile(Dheeraj ji)'s post about digitalcodes got myself a Office Professional Plus 2016 for 3999. It's quite a deal!

Oh and the battery backup is amazing! It just goes on and on and on!
In short the Thinkpad T470 lives up to the T series hype!
Old 22nd June 2017, 20:30   #4930
Senior - BHPian

Thanks everyone for all your valuable inputs.
Can't thank the forum mods enough for making TBHP a reliable source of information for almost anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkkkkaran View Post
If she has been used to windows
devices, I wouldnt make her swap unless she is the tech savvy kinds.
Not trying to dissuade you, im a huge fan myself, but the relearning can get on the nerves.
Have a look at the Asus Zenbook, Microsoft surface, LG gram, HP envy etc.
Otherwise, you can consider installing windows via bootcamp on the mac also.
Considering the switch from Windows to Mac, requirement of a CD drive and budget, I'm considering a Dell Inspiron 15 with the I3-6006 and 4GB DDR4 and upgrade to 8GB of RAM.
Price is 40k at a store. I'm getting MS office home and student included in the deal.

Any other alternative?

I want to stay away from Lenovo as their build quality in the cheaper laptops is horrible. Once bitten, twice shy I guess.

Last edited by landcruiser123 : 22nd June 2017 at 20:33.
Old 22nd June 2017, 20:37   #4931
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I want to stay away from Lenovo as their build quality in the cheaper laptops is horrible. Once bitten, twice shy I guess.
With Lenovo you buy "Thinkpad". Their own brands are quite ordinary.
Old 23rd June 2017, 10:57   #4932
BANNED

As for Lenovo Thinkpads, both I am our son had HDD failures about the 2-3 year mark. One may be just a chance, but two - something seriously wrong. I got the HD uninstalled, since I was in a hurry and my friendly dealer just gave the unit to me with the disk there. So I was able to do a 'clean' install with none of the Lenovo junk.
Old 23rd June 2017, 11:39   #4933
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
As for Lenovo Thinkpads, both I am our son had HDD failures about the 2-3 year mark. One may be just a chance, but two - something seriously wrong. I got the HD uninstalled, since I was in a hurry and my friendly dealer just gave the unit to me with the disk there. So I was able to do a 'clean' install with none of the Lenovo junk.
I have had HDD failure on an IdeaPad too and even had problems with Lenovo laptops in the past, don't know why but even after avoiding my instincts(that said avoid a company because of just one bad experience), I landed up with a problem again. and worst of all, I couldn't even get warranty registered online inspite of me uploading everything correctly. Thankfully, know a computer dealer who deals with Lenovo a lot, so he managed to swap out the HDD. It was just a basic laptop for staff use, had it been for personal use ,i would have just put in an SSD and called it a a day.

Last edited by agambhandari : 23rd June 2017 at 11:41.
Old 23rd June 2017, 20:50   #4934
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
As for Lenovo Thinkpads, both I am our son had HDD failures about the 2-3 year mark. One may be just a chance, but two
Shocking!!! The stats prove that failures in Lenovo laptops are pretty common. That is exactly the reason why I stayed an arms length away from Lenovo for my mom's new laptop(Which was a purchase restricted by budget also.) 4 laptops- moms, mine and 2 other friends had bought the G series in 2012-13. Of the 4, only mine is (barely) surviving as of today. I've spent INR 3000 to replace my casing, my mom has had casing replaced under warranty.

I was thinking about Yoga, ThinkPad as a few choices among many others for a new Laptop for grad school. Looks like Lenovo is out of the race AFAIK. I don't mind spending $200 more to get a better Laptop which will be reliable. I can't afford downtime during my course at grad school.

Last edited by landcruiser123 : 23rd June 2017 at 20:52.
Old 24th June 2017, 08:23   #4935
BANNED

Many years ago I bought an Asus when it was launched. The i7 though somewhat heavy (metal case!) worked beautifully. My only grouse was a slow HDD. Later on my son's brother-in-law bought another Asus, but the HDD speed was good.

I understand that Asus may be the OEM for many better known brands.

Most Viewed