BHPian

Re: The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions

Has anyone taken this route recently.
Looking for a laptop with the following specs
  • Prefer Intel processor minimum i3
  • 8gb RAM occupying only 1 slot so that I can expand another 8gb if needed
    has to be min DDR4
  • Don't care about the HDD, would swap it with a 500gb SSD +12k avg
  • Don't care about the OS, Win 10 Home Edition 64bit is available quite cheap from some online sellers. (Tried it and works fine supporting upgrades)
  • Min 14" screen size
  • Total budget to be <= 45k INR (including my upgrades)
  • Preferably from a reputed company Dell/HP/Lenovo/Toshiba ..

Usage is for my wife who is into Technical writing, Will not be used for any gaming. Documentation tools, Browsing, Ms Office etc..
Old 2nd April 2018, 09:47   #5072
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joxster View Post
This should not be a deal breaker. There is hardly a difference in performance between the two cards, especially so for the laptop chipsets. The difference in FPS will only be in higher resolutions (above 1600x900), which I wouldn't recommend you to exceed on the laptop you have selected anyway.

Cheers
Thank you Joxster.

I received the laptop yesterday and tried out all the above games. Now my direct comparison is with my stone age laptop which was not cutting edge in the first place. The matt finish screen is a lot better since it reflects next to no light and I could play all the games in the highest graphics setting without any stuttering.

So, as of now, I am satisfied. Maybe 2 years down the line, I will not be able to play the new titles, let's see...

And turns out that the specs was not the only blunder I made. I did not specify the color! I thought I would be getting the red and black combo, instead I received the gold and black combo. I was going to return it, but I actually like this more now! I was not so sure about the red keyboard anyway.

The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions-445964lenovolegiony52015ikbn.jpg
The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions-lenovolegiony520laptopanniversaryedition02.jpg
Old 2nd April 2018, 13:28   #5073
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmore View Post
Has anyone taken this route recently.
Looking for a laptop with the following specs
  • Prefer Intel processor minimum i3
  • 8gb RAM occupying only 1 slot so that I can expand another 8gb if needed
    has to be min DDR4
  • Don't care about the HDD, would swap it with a 500gb SSD +12k avg
  • Don't care about the OS, Win 10 Home Edition 64bit is available quite cheap from some online sellers. (Tried it and works fine supporting upgrades)
  • Min 14" screen size
  • Total budget to be <= 45k INR (including my upgrades)
  • Preferably from a reputed company Dell/HP/Lenovo/Toshiba ..

Usage is for my wife who is into Technical writing, Will not be used for any gaming. Documentation tools, Browsing, Ms Office etc..
Adding to my post have shortlisted this.
Dell Latitude 3480, Core i3 6th Gen, 4GB RAM DDR4, 500 GB HDD, 14 inch - 28.4k
+ Samsung 500gb SSD 12.4k
+ 8gb Ram - 5.4k
+ Windows 2.5k

Net around 48.7k will get me a Dell Latitude i3 6th Gen with 500gb SSD, 12gb RAM, + 500GB USB Ext backup disk (Original HDD that shipped with the laptop)

Much cheaper than an off the shelf laptop of similar specs.

Any suggestions ?
Old 2nd April 2018, 14:02   #5074
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
Thank you Joxster.

So, as of now, I am satisfied. Maybe 2 years down the line, I will not be able to play the new titles, let's see...
Happy to hear that you're satisfied, mate! IMO, you will be able to play the new less demanding titles 2 years down the line, albeit with the graphics settings tuned down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmore View Post
Adding to my post have shortlisted this.
Dell Latitude 3480, Core i3 6th Gen, 4GB RAM DDR4, 500 GB HDD, 14 inch - 28.4k
+ Samsung 500gb SSD 12.4k
+ 8gb Ram - 5.4k
+ Windows 2.5k

Net around 48.7k will get me a Dell Latitude i3 6th Gen with 500gb SSD, 12gb RAM, + 500GB USB Ext backup disk (Original HDD that shipped with the laptop)

Any suggestions ?
This seems like a good enough configuration for the usage intended, especially after adding the additional RAM & SSD. The price is pretty good as well.

Not sure if you're open to checking out ASUS laptops, but they're 2-3k cheaper than their counterparts from other companies in general, with good build quality and reliability.
Here's an example of an ASUS laptop with slightly better specs (7th Gen i3, 1 TB HDD & 15.6 FHD screen), but a bit cheaper than the Dell one you selected: https://www.amazon.in/Vivobook-X541UA-DM1358D-Intel-7100U-Graphics/dp/B073RNXG53/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1522657546&sr=8-1&keywords=asus+laptops
And this one has a 7th Gen i5, with 8 GB RAM, so you will only need to spend on the SSD & Windows: https://www.amazon.in/Asus-R542UQ-DM164-15-6-inch-i5-7200U-Graphics/dp/B075TH44C2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1522657546&sr=8-2&keywords=asus+laptops

Cheers

Last edited by Joxster : 2nd April 2018 at 14:14.
Old 9th April 2018, 11:59   #5075
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Thanks for all the help & advice, guys. Finalising a Latitude 7490 with an 8th gen processor (i7-8650U) + 16 GB ram + 500 gig SSD + 5 year warranty + new docking port (as my current one is no longer compatible).

Since my existing Latitude is working just perfect, I'm going to keep it as a failover system.
Old 9th April 2018, 15:38   #5076
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
Thank you Joxster.

I received the laptop yesterday and tried out all the above games. Now my direct comparison is with my stone age laptop which was not cutting edge in the first place. The matt finish screen is a lot better since it reflects next to no light and I could play all the games in the highest graphics setting without any stuttering. I was going to return it, but I actually like this more now! I was not so sure about the red keyboard anyway.

Attachment 1747709
Attachment 1747710
What brand is it? I could not place it. Could be a rebadged big boy.
Old 9th April 2018, 16:09   #5077
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Thanks for all the help & advice, guys. Finalising a Latitude 7490 with an 8th gen processor (i7-8650U) + 16 GB ram + 500 gig SSD + 5 year warranty + new docking port (as my current one is no longer compatible).
Congrats GTO! May the new laptop serve you well

Quote:
Since my existing Latitude is working just perfect, I'm going to keep it as a failover system.
This is a good idea, especially when your existing laptop doesn't have any problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
He had mentioned it in his first post, it is a Lenovo Legion Y520.
Old 9th April 2018, 16:22   #5078
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
If not bought already, do check Surface Book 2, I bought one last week and am super happy.
Old 9th April 2018, 23:55   #5079
Senior - BHPian

Does anyone know how to decode the Machine Type and Model (MTM) number for Lenovo laptops?

I want to know the difference between 80XH01PFIN, 80XH01HMIN and 80XH01Q5IH, all Ideapad 15ISK models with similar specs. Does MTM numbers vary between stores? The one available at Reliance Digital is not having same MTM number compared to the one available for online purchase at Lenovo website.
Old 10th April 2018, 11:09   #5080
BHPian

Quote:

Great choice. What display did you pick? I would love to hear feedback on how long the battery lasts. Heard you can get upto 22hrs with the new display technology. I recently picked up a 7480 really cheap and love it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
If not bought already, do check Surface Book 2, I bought one last week and am super happy.
I have the the book 1 and its an awesome device to use. There is a huge difference in the user experience. The Surface has a better screen (touch), better aspect ratio and better trackpad. I only wish it was lighter. I think the price is a major factor. If you include support package like Dell and similar specs the price is super high.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
Does anyone know how to decode the Machine Type and Model (MTM) number for Lenovo laptops?

I want to know the difference between 80XH01PFIN, 80XH01HMIN and 80XH01Q5IH, all Ideapad 15ISK models with similar specs. Does MTM numbers vary between stores? The one available at Reliance Digital is not having same MTM number compared to the one available for online purchase at Lenovo website.
I think there is differencs in the screen resolution, color and HDD size. Just google search reveals the spec difference.
Old 11th April 2018, 10:58   #5081
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
It is a Lenovo Legion Y520.
Old 11th April 2018, 21:23   #5082
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin_bhp View Post
I think there is differencs in the screen resolution, color and HDD size. Just google search reveals the spec difference.
Q5IH is only sold by Reliance Digital, and the MFIH model exclusively from Lenovo stores; the difference from MFIH being the colour and HDD capacity.

Wondering if there is any disadvantage in buying from Reliance Digital? Will I still get the 1 year onsite warranty service?
Old 12th April 2018, 14:17   #5083
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Great choice. What display did you pick? I would love to hear feedback on how long the battery lasts. Heard you can get upto 22hrs with the new display technology.
What display tech are you talking about?

Maybe it's also the 8th Gen Intel chips contributing? I heard they are 30-40% more efficient than the 7th gen? (haven't really done any research, but read this somewhere).
Old 12th April 2018, 15:06   #5084
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
What display tech are you talking about?

Maybe it's also the 8th Gen Intel chips contributing? I heard they are 30-40% more efficient than the 7th gen? (haven't really done any research, but read this somewhere).
I think they call it SLP (super low power)

From Dell website:
14" FHD Super Low Power Panel w/ Narrow Border

Work on the move confidently with Dell's most efficient FHD display ever. Reducing power consumption by 50%, as compared to the current FHD panel, this max runtime configuration delivers up to 20hrs of battery life without compromising performance.
Old 12th April 2018, 16:17   #5085
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I think they call it SLP (super low power).
Interesting! Hadn't heard of this.

Though I'm surprised that there's virtually no real information about it online (at least with the SLP branding).

I wonder what the screen brightness is rated at in comparison to the regular screen...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks