Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 5th December 2017, 20:30   #5011
Distinguished - BHPian
 
RavenAvi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Flying Around
Posts: 6,302
Thanked: 40,517 Times
Default Re: The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post
U series would have better battery life and the prices are also lower, and the laptops would be thinner and lighter. So I would agree to wait for those unless you have a specific high workload something like a workstation.
The 8th gen laptops are already available online and at some stores. I'm sure your friend will get it in a few days.
Thank you for the valuable inputs, Agam.

Got myself an ASUS Vivobook S15 S510UN-BQ139T (in brushed Gold shade) @ Rs.80,000/-.

Initial impressions are excellent so far. Thin, light, super fast and convenient.

Dell (5570) & HP (SS100TX) offerings had 8 GB RAM, no SSD and older 940MX graphics configs at roughly the same price. Hence, this felt VFM compared to them.

Last edited by RavenAvi : 5th December 2017 at 20:31.
RavenAvi is offline  
Old 6th December 2017, 06:41   #5012
Senior - BHPian
 
h@r$h@l's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Melbourne, Aus
Posts: 1,443
Thanked: 715 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post
1. Yes you can wipe it out, given that there is no password at boot(BIOS) i.e. it can be done if you can reach the windows login screen.



You can either wipe the whole disk

Hey,

Thanks for that.

Any pointers how I can go about doing this??

I can get to the windows log in screen. No issues there. Even got into bios to change the boot order.

I would prefer doing a clean install & start fresh.
Any pointers / help would be highly appreciated.

Regards,
h@r$h@l is offline  
Old 6th December 2017, 09:36   #5013
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Delhi
Posts: 2,349
Thanked: 1,439 Times
Default Re: The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions

In older IBM Thinkpads, IBM had a partition for diagnosis and reinstalling the OS. If it is there in your Laptop, an option should be displayed during startup sequence (before or after the BIOS dialog).

The only problem is if this access is also password protected, in which case you will have to install OS from a CD/DVD/USB Drive.
Aroy is offline  
Old 6th December 2017, 13:52   #5014
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 503
Thanked: 645 Times
Default Re: The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Thank you for the valuable inputs, Agam.

Got myself an ASUS Vivobook S15 S510UN-BQ139T (in brushed Gold shade) @ Rs.80,000/-.
Good choice. Did they stop Touchscreen on new Vivobooks?
I have been using 2 Asus Vivobooks S550 (15") and S400 (14") both with touchscreens for the past 5 years. The 15" Vivobook was bought from Flipkart and it is my workhorse. It has been online 12-16 hours 6 days a week. The batteries are almost dying and the SSD has started giving errors, but the laptop still runs with its original OS and boots up in a few secs. The good thing was that the 32GB SSD was used only for caching and hence disabling the SSD did not cause any issues with the OS.

The 14" version of Vivobook was bought from US and that one has a Sandisk SSD compared to the Kingston SSD in my Indian version. That one work great and still gives 4+ hours on batteries. Asus has come a long way in terms of reliability with its Premium laptops.

However I am not happy with their SSD offerings in its Indian versions. Even my friends SSD on his Zenbook failed in < 3 years and that too was a Kingston. Do check the brand of SSD used in your laptop.
Holyghost is online now  
Old 6th December 2017, 13:59   #5015
Senior - BHPian
 
agambhandari's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Delhi,Ludhiana
Posts: 1,381
Thanked: 1,595 Times
Default Re: The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by h@r$h@l View Post
Hey,

Thanks for that.

Any pointers how I can go about doing this??

I can get to the windows log in screen. No issues there. Even got into bios to change the boot order.

I would prefer doing a clean install & start fresh.
Any pointers / help would be highly appreciated.

Regards,
You can do that by installing a new OS from a bootable usb drive. Just Google making a bootable usb for the version of Windows you want. Since you already have a laptop running 7, you can get the iso file from any source, even torrents and then put it's original key in.
agambhandari is offline  
Old 24th December 2017, 07:54   #5016
BHPian
 
sharktale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 376
Thanked: 753 Times
Default Re: The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions

Planning to spend moolah on a new laptop.

Contender 1 :

Apple MacBook Air Core i5 5th Gen - (8 GB/128 GB SSD/Mac OS Sierra) MQD32HN/A A1466 (13.3 inch, SIlver, 1.35 kg) @ Rs. 56990.

Contender 2 :

HP Pavilion - 15-cc132tx ( Intel Core i5-8250U Processor @1.6 GHz /8GB DDR4/2TB SATA/Windows 10 Home/15.6" FHD Display/ Silver / 2.02KG/ NVIDIA GeForce 4GB DDR3 dedicated / Microsoft Office H&S (Lifetime Version) @ Rs. 66990.

I know it's 2 different segments altogether. However, I am not sure whether I can be gaming anymore due to paucity of time. Sleeping seems like the most effective activity during that time.
Would like the opinion of people whether the MAC is still a good purchase...

https://www.flipkart.com/apple-macbo...1d62051d5441f9
sharktale is offline  
Old 24th December 2017, 16:49   #5017
BHPian
 
lordvader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 85
Thanked: 85 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharktale View Post
Planning to spend moolah on a new laptop.

Contender 1 : Apple MacBook Air

Contender 2 : HP Pavilion - 15-cc132tx
Apple is a good buy if you plan to use the laptop for surfing and multimedia. I bought Air and it has been a wonderful experience.

Despite that, some of the other things that I can do with macbook air are limited. Ms office is almost out of question. I installed office 2016 to use excel and it lagged as hell as it can use only one core. I haven't tried installing android sdk, not sure if its even possible. I can install a linux distro but it isn't as straightforward as in windows laptop.

Highlights are the backlit keyboard and magsafe charger. I couldn't find backlit keyboard in any windows laptops within the 60k range.

The only minus for me is a non IPS, non FHD screen. It would have been a complete package then.
lordvader is offline  
Old 25th December 2017, 12:20   #5018
BHPian
 
Pandher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Nabha
Posts: 40
Thanked: 16 Times
Default Re: The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordvader View Post
I haven't tried installing android sdk, not sure if its even possible. I can install a linux distro but it isn't as straightforward as in windows laptop.
Maybe install Windows on the Mac and get best of both worlds?
Pandher is offline  
Old 31st December 2017, 19:55   #5019
BHPian
 
lordvader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 85
Thanked: 85 Times
Default Re: The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandher View Post
Maybe install Windows on the Mac and get best of both worlds?
Well, yes, I have done that exactly. Installed windows 8.1 using boot camp and upgraded to windows 10. Pretty smooth and no major issues at all, except for one while partitioning the drive. But it was sorted pretty easily.
lordvader is offline  
Old 11th January 2018, 12:14   #5020
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,559
Thanked: 751 Times
Default Re: The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions

I have been buying Thinkpad T-Series for my employees for many years. But post GST, a T Series with 16 GB Ram & 256 GB SSD is almost 1.1 Lakhs with a 3 year on-site warranty.

I was thinking of Thinkpad L-Series as an alternative. How good is the L-series?

Usage will be for developers. They will connect the laptop to an external keyboard & Monitor while at work & use it for 8 hours and work. They will then the take the laptop home at night in case they need to do something from home or if they are planning to work from home. So the laptop will be carried from home to work everyday, but otherwise there won't be much travel involved. And work will be programming.

How is an L-Series with a 3 years on site warranty for this usage?
carboy is online now  
Old 11th January 2018, 13:15   #5021
JLS
BHPian
 
JLS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Ahmedabad
Posts: 144
Thanked: 133 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
..... Snip....

How is an L-Series with a 3 years on site warranty for this usage?
I am using L series since last 1.5 years. It is almost as good as T Series. If it is cost effective compared to T series, I think it is a good alternative.
Regards
JLS
JLS is offline  
Old 11th January 2018, 16:29   #5022
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Pune
Posts: 61
Thanked: 94 Times
Default Re: The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
I have been buying Thinkpad T-Series for my employees for many years. But post GST, a T Series with 16 GB Ram & 256 GB SSD is almost 1.1 Lakhs with a 3 year on-site warranty.

I was thinking of Thinkpad L-Series as an alternative. How good is the L-series?

Usage will be for developers. They will connect the laptop to an external keyboard & Monitor while at work & use it for 8 hours and work. They will then the take the laptop home at night in case they need to do something from home or if they are planning to work from home. So the laptop will be carried from home to work everyday, but otherwise there won't be much travel involved. And work will be programming.

How is an L-Series with a 3 years on site warranty for this usage?
You can also consider Dell Latitude 7480 series. It is sturdy and you can configure as per your requirements. It has carbon fiber body, 3 years Pro support, 3 years accidental damage service and costs around Rs.85K.
akshay81 is offline  
Old 17th January 2018, 21:00   #5023
Senior - BHPian
 
govigov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Cochin!!!!!
Posts: 1,492
Thanked: 715 Times
Default Re: The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions

So what laptops have the best service backing in India? If I were to looking to buy a laptop to keep it for long-term, (5+ years), what brand of laptop should I look at?
govigov is offline  
Old 18th January 2018, 09:43   #5024
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: KA03
Posts: 455
Thanked: 1,305 Times
Default Re: The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post
So what laptops have the best service backing in India? If I were to looking to buy a laptop to keep it for long-term, (5+ years), what brand of laptop should I look at?
Look for laptops sold to organizations. "Enterprise" lines. They usually have better support for drivers and upgrades to some of the hardware.
Dell Latitude or similar from Lenovo or HP. They might be more expensive, but are worth it. Someone who deals with these (IT dept of large organizations) will be able to give you more specific details about the model numbers.
mvadg is offline  
Old 18th January 2018, 10:30   #5025
Senior - BHPian
 
extreme_torque's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 3,917
Thanked: 2,631 Times
Default Re: The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordvader View Post
Ms office is almost out of question. I installed office 2016 to use excel and it lagged as hell as it can use only one core. I haven't tried installing android sdk, not sure if its even possible. I can install a linux distro but it isn't as straightforward as in windows laptop.

Highlights are the backlit keyboard and magsafe charger. I couldn't find backlit keyboard in any windows laptops within the 60k range.

The only minus for me is a non IPS, non FHD screen. It would have been a complete package then.
I dont know if there was an issue with your laptop but office runs absolutely fine on a MacBook Air and I am talking about the base model when it used to come with just 4GB of RAM. Even a bit of photoshopping works fine.

To the OP, if you are not going to game, MacBook will be a much better choice - long battery life, Apple's support, thin and light and therefore really portable.
extreme_torque is offline  
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright 2000 - 2020, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks