Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th November 2017, 01:42   #4996
BHPian

Re: The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo View Post
Great suggestion. I have narrowed it down to the XPS 13 vs Macbk pro. I need at least 256GB to make it useful. 128GB seems too anemic in today's world.
Not heard of the Dell precision version, any links, not seeing it on the portal. If you are referring to the developer edition, no preload Win 10, comes with Ubuntu
Sorry I meant Latitude but typed precision. here's a link.

Dell 7370

This is a business version of the XPS 13. It has some pro and cons also.

Cons -
You can only get Core m3, m5 or m7 processors.

Pros -
The Keyboard is better
The track pad has buttons that are silent and easy to press. (Must have feature for me as I hate the click sound and the whole track pad moving)
Lighter than the XPS.
Carbon fiber lid (QHD models) looks nice, soft to touch and the corners are not sharp like the XPS. (Another reason I sold my XPS).
You get 3 years onsite warranty from Dell even for refurb.

Here's a video comparing the two laptops

Specs you could get for $850+tax
Processor: Intel Core 6th Generation m7-6Y75 Processor (Dual Core, up to 3.10 GHz, 4M Cache, 4.5W)
Windows 10 Pro
256GB PCIe NVMe Class 40 Solid State Drive
8GB Memory
13.3 inch QHD+ (3200 x 1800) Anti-Glare Touch Infinity, Corning Gorilla Glass Display
Intel HD Graphics

Also here's a comparison video of the best ultrabooks

If you can shellout extra money just get the macbook pro 13. Its a little expensive but will hold it value well.

No love for the Surface ? I own a book and a pro and love them
Old 6th November 2017, 21:51   #4997
Senior - BHPian

I have a 7 year old HP G72 17.3 inch Laptop. Its still my primary home PC.
Recently the display is acting up as shown in the below image. The HDMI/VGA ports are fine, so I connected an external monitor and I can use laptop again.

Have you seen a similar issue? Could it be a broken display cable or the entire display itself faulty?

Checked with a local servicing center and they are quoting ~9500 Rs for display replacement which will solve the problem.

The flickering is there right from bios loading screen, so its not a driver or software issue.
Attached Thumbnails
The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions-vid_20171027_170901422.jpg  

Old 7th November 2017, 12:17   #4998
BHPian

Hi guys, Planning to get a laptop from USA.
Budget $800.
SSD 256-512 GB is a must.
Processor i5 or i7, 8gb ram
was thinking of Dell inspiron 13 7000 2 in 1. Wife says 2 in 1 with touchscreen so it has to be 2 in 1 with touchscreen.
Any other suggestions. On amazon.com there is Asus ux360ca with 8gb ram 512GB SSD but with i5-7y54 for $659.
Dell has inspiron 13 7000 with 12g ram 512gb ssd and i7-7500u for $829.
Dell has better speakers and backlit keyboard.
Wont be playing any hardcore games, may be flash based games and other day to day activity like videos on youtube etc.
I already have a macbook air for my office use since 6 years and still it is going strong and want to have a windows based laptop at home.
Any suggestions?
Old 8th November 2017, 03:40   #4999
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagpatel View Post
Hi guys, Planning to get a laptop from USA.
Costco has some great offers starting Nov 17.
Old 8th November 2017, 12:57   #5000
BHPian

Ok so that dell deal expired and adorama ebay had an alienware 13 laptop deal for $850. Immediately called up cousin in USA to buy it. Hope he has bought it.
Old 9th November 2017, 11:45   #5001
Distinguished - BHPian

I am considering buying a new laptop for my extensive usage. Existing one is a Lenovo bought back in 2012, which is now being used by Dad.

My friend who owns a computer peripherals shop tells me to wait 7-10 days for new releases by Dell or HP with the 8th-gen Intel chips (Kaby Lake refresh).

I was eyeing an HP Envy with the 7th-gen i7 chip (7700HQ) but my friend claims that the 8th-gen i7 (8550U) will be close to the existing-gen HQ chip in terms of performance.

Is it worth waiting for the 8th-gen i7, or should I go for an existing 7th-gen HQ-chip based laptop?
Old 10th November 2017, 07:31   #5002
Senior - BHPian

Hi friends, I'm planning to get a new laptop from Canada. I'm interested in getting a Dell or HP but will consider other worthy options. Its mainly for internet usage, MS Office and watching movies. Storage should be atleast 256 GB SSD and screen size can be from 13-15". I would like it to be slim and light weight as I would have to carry it to college everyday. Budget is around $800. Please suggest me a good model.

Last edited by Anand123 : 10th November 2017 at 07:34.
Old 10th November 2017, 09:03   #5003
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjithin View Post
Recently the display is acting up as shown in the below image. The HDMI/VGA ports are fine, so I connected an external monitor and I can use laptop again.

Have you seen a similar issue? Could it be a broken display cable or the entire display itself faulty?
Definitely seen it on our Sony 5 yr old lappy and it turned out to be the cable issue. We attempted replacing the screen but it did not resolve so looked at cable. It was a bit twisted, most probably due to negligence of the Sony service centre where it was serviced earlier to the issue cropping up. Straightened the cable, refitted back and all was hunky dory. Thankfully, the friendly neighbourhood service guy was good enough to take back the screen and not charge for it.

Definitely got to do with 2 probable issues:
1. either the cable is mis-attached or is worn out and needs replacement or
2. if cable is all fine, screen is gone

If you are tech savvy and can open up and check cable, suggest you do that and see if it recovers. Else take it to a decent service guys/centre and check these two things.
Old 10th November 2017, 09:33   #5004
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo View Post
Great suggestion. I have narrowed it down to the XPS 13 vs Macbk pro. I need at least 256GB to make it useful. 128GB seems too anemic in today's world.
Not heard of the Dell precision version, any links, not seeing it on the portal. If you are referring to the developer edition, no preload Win 10, comes with Ubuntu
Bestbuy has the Macbook pro 13/8/128 for $1150 and the 256gig model for $1299. BF deal.
Old 10th November 2017, 16:47   #5005
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
I am considering buying a new laptop for my extensive usage. Existing one is a Lenovo bought back in 2012, which is now being used by Dad.

My friend who owns a computer peripherals shop tells me to wait 7-10 days for new releases by Dell or HP with the 8th-gen Intel chips (Kaby Lake refresh).

I was eyeing an HP Envy with the 7th-gen i7 chip (7700HQ) but my friend claims that the 8th-gen i7 (8550U) will be close to the existing-gen HQ chip in terms of performance.

Is it worth waiting for the 8th-gen i7, or should I go for an existing 7th-gen HQ-chip based laptop?
The 7th gen HQ will give a better performance on sustained high loads, but the 8th gen U series can match it for shorter periods of time(because of the limited power draw it is built for). But as a result U series would have better battery life and the prices are also lower, and the laptops would be thinner and lighter. So I would agree to wait for those unless you have a specific high workload something like a workstation.
The 8th gen laptops are already available online and at some stores. I'm sure your friend will get it in a few days. As a rough estimate, the Acer i5(8250u) which is only 10-15pc lower than i7 in performance is available at about 42k. And be sure to add in an SSd, and you'll really notice the fast speeds.
Old 12th November 2017, 05:10   #5006
Senior - BHPian

I just got the Dell XPS 13 (8gen i7 8GB, 256) for $1090 plus tax with one day shipping via my corporate membership. They have $999 offer by Nov 15th a doorbuster deal.
Old 12th November 2017, 08:31   #5007
BHPian

My dell Inspiron 15 7000 series screen has opened up like this.
As per technician, entire screen needs to be replaced.
Any one knows a good technician who can do a neat job on this in bangalore?

The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions-img_20171112_082008870.jpg
Old 14th November 2017, 10:52   #5008
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pradyblr View Post
My dell Inspiron 15 7000 series screen has opened up like this.
As per technician, entire screen needs to be replaced.
Why would the entire screen need to be replaced? Just the front glass needs to changed or maybe the current glass can be re-attached if there isn't any damage. Did the Dell service centre tell you this?
Old 4th December 2017, 15:59   #5009
Senior - BHPian

Hi guys,

I am in a complex situation. I have been given a work laptop and the user before me hasn't given me the password for it. I asked my mgmt and they asked me to figure it out or contact our IT support (which is practically 1 person who is on Annual Leave at the moment.

We aren't concerned about the data etc. all we need is to get into the laptop so I can set up the demo softwares etc for the office. It's a ThinkPad T520.

Questions:
1. How do I clear it all and log in as administrator?
2. Is there a way to bypass what log in screen?
3. It's running Windows 7. Can I upgrade to 10?

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,
Old 4th December 2017, 17:08   #5010
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by h@r$h@l View Post
Hi guys,

I am in a complex situation. I have been given a work laptop and the user before me hasn't given me the password for it. I asked my mgmt and they asked me to figure it out or contact our IT support (which is practically 1 person who is on Annual Leave at the moment.

We aren't concerned about the data etc. all we need is to get into the laptop so I can set up the demo softwares etc for the office. It's a ThinkPad T520.

Questions:
1. How do I clear it all and log in as administrator?
2. Is there a way to bypass what log in screen?
3. It's running Windows 7. Can I upgrade to 10?

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,
1. Yes you can wipe it out, given that there is no password at boot(BIOS) i.e. it can be done if you can reach the windows login screen.

You can either wipe the whole disk and install a new copy of windows or use some password recovery tools like

https://www.lifewire.com/free-window...-tools-2626179

Yes you can upgrade it to 10, but I would suggest not to, unless it is actually a very latest model. Any processor older than 5th gen, I have seen & running very smooth but 10 is painful to use. Stick with 7 as you only need for office work.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks